PL W FA Premier League

Leicester City 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 01 September 2022

lex talionis

An ugly win. Forgettable and at times a Hobbesian nightmare, but the points are in the bag.

hp88

This is the kind of game we would have lost or drawn last season and that's what cost us top four in the end, big 3 points but for us and it keeps the momentum going for Sunday.

moodyred

We can thank Liverpool for letting us know how it feels to win a game. That started us rolling.

Knightmare7

Sometimes I feel like Maguire is like that random guy in Master and Commander when the ship is in the doldrums. The sailors are superstitious and come to believe the only way for the wind to come back is for that one particular sailor to die because he’s bad luck. There’s very little basis for this belief outside of pure superstition, but when he kills himself, the winds do come.

colombianmancunian

We are looking solid on defense, but our attack still needs to click better. Casemiro is step by step accommodating to the team and I hope he is a starter in a few games. McTominay has been solid so far. Rashford made an assist, but he is off form. On the contrary Ronaldo is getting better, almost scored today, and wasn’t selfish with passes to both Erikssen and Rashford; I know he will get to his best form and be useful for the team (thankfully he is staying, because I dreaded that failure Depay to come here). Dalot was solid too, hope he keeps his form.

croadyman

Pleased with the win but our lack of midfield control combined with little creativity is concerning. Especially when we face teams with top strikers.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm not expecting convincing wins as long as Elanga and Rashford start for us. But some of our build up play and possesion retention in the first half was quality. A lot of first time passing which I don't usually see from us. Off the ball intensity was also great.

At the end of the day the wheels tend to eventually come off because we still need more in central midfield and crucially our attack lacks technical quality.

MADReaLJL

There was a moment in the early second half where a Leicester player was on counter attack and we had Bruno + one defender running back behind him.

Instead of performing cynical foul to immediately stop the attack before the situation got worse, Captain Bruno chose to tackle him cleanly and missed, leaving Martinez with no choice but to foul the opponent and got yellow carded. That was our third defender getting yellow.

I think this is one of the problem of our midfielders, they don't really 'think ahead' to help our defenders. I knew Fred had similar problem countless times.

marcus agrippa

Really, really surprised at some of the reactions in this thread (just read the first page, TBH).

Couldn't watch the game live, unfortunately, but watched it after knowing the result. Perhaps it's the calmness brought on by knowing the outcome, but I felt we were in control of that game for the most part. Clear to see the lads were enjoying themselves out there. Leicester pushed in the second half, but hardly threatened. DDG was a spectator bar a Madison free-kick and a speculative shot from Barnes. You could argue maybe Malacia lost his man to allow Justin (?) a shot near the end, but that was it really. It reminded me of some of our performances in the 08/09 season TBH.

All I can be disappointed about was that we didn't score more. It seemed like we could score any time we wanted to, but were too careless in with the final ball to do it, especially in the second half. Ronaldo and Casemiro gave us a bit of oomph when they came on.

Could we improve? Of course! But reading some of the reaction in this thread has me laughing. Like, were we watching the same game?

VictoriaRed

Sancho is woefully unfit, Rashford too. Feck, Sancho's diet or lack of motivation is killing me. Sure he scored the winner, but was luxury the rest of the way. If I'm ETH, I'm in his grill. 3 pts, never in doubt, away. Yes Leicester are very much in transition, but they still have some fantastic players.

Oluwaplumpie

Good win. Casemiro looks decent. Rashford was below his usual standard. Leicester might get relegated.
What usual standard was Rashford below? This has been him for a very long time. He wasn't even trying. Infuriating performance in my opinion. I hope he doesn't make England's World Cup squad.

Oluwaplumpie

Really, really surprised at some of the reactions in this thread (just read the first page, TBH).

Couldn't watch the game live, unfortunately, but watched it after knowing the result. Perhaps it's the calmness brought on by knowing the outcome, but I felt we were in control of that game for the most part. Clear to see the lads were enjoying themselves out there. Leicester pushed in the second half, but hardly threatened. DDG was a spectator bar a Madison free-kick and a speculative shot from Barnes. You could argue maybe Malacia lost his man to allow Justin (?) a shot near the end, but that was it really. It reminded me of some of our performances in the 08/09 season TBH.

All I can be disappointed about was that we didn't score more. It seemed like we could score any time we wanted to, but were too careless in with the final ball to do it, especially in the second half. Ronaldo and Casemiro gave us a bit of oomph when they came on.

Could we improve? Of course! But reading some of the reaction in this thread has me laughing. Like, were we watching the same game?
Rashford and Elanga are the reason we didn't do a lot in the final 3rd. Broke down too many attacking moves.

Oluwaplumpie

One clear thing from this game is that Rashford and Elanga can only play counterattacking football where they have space to run into. They're useless in buildup play. They're the reason this win looked laboured.

I hope Martial returns quickly. Don't ever wanna see Rashford upfront or starting again.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
And now finally the ship looks steady, team is showing togetherness we haven’t seen for year and a half, glimpses of great football.

And still so much complaining.

Wing Attack Plan R

Three wins in a row, two clean sheets. I think ETH did right by playing the strongest side today. Going into the weekend and Arsenal, our players will have more confidence, and if Casemiro starts, even better. I think some timely subs would have helped our effort. We were too tired to press in the final 20 minutes.

Drizzle

Sancho is woefully unfit, Rashford too. Feck, Sancho's diet or lack of motivation is killing me. Sure he scored the winner, but was luxury the rest of the way. If I'm ETH, I'm in his grill. 3 pts, never in doubt, away. Yes Leicester are very much in transition, but they still have some fantastic players.
ETH referred after the game to Sancho's need to concentrate more on his physicality - which I assume was code for fitness. No coincidence he's been subbed regularly on the 65-70 minute mark.

He's a lovely player at times but never imposes himself on games. I do think a lot of it is stamina - if you're shattered you're not making speculative runs or taking a defender on, you're passing the ball quickly and hiding.

fps

Seems Eriksen is playing that De Jong role and he is some player, we have better passing than we’ve had for a long time and it’s letting McTominay do a few things rather than trying to do everything which is good news. Rashford can’t really play CF unfortunately, Ronaldo made it look so easy when he came on, as the great ones do. Nonetheless I think sub should be Ronaldo’s role.

HJ12

Enjoying the control Eriksen brings to the midfield. When Casemiro is ready to be added to the mix, I think the inability of the midfield to hold possession for more than 10 seconds will be a distant memory.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Bruno has an annoying habit of passing it behind the player he's passing it to. As a result of which that player receives the ball on the back foot or in a stationary position and is therefore much easier to deal with for the opposition.

GueRed

Ten Hag has gone back to basics.
The team are running for each other and the intensity is there.

Albeit Leicester were poor, I'm happy with the result and solid performance.

Personally I'd take 1-0's clean sheets everyday of the week.

Three wins in a row. Arsenal home next.

mikeyt

Pleased with the win but our lack of midfield control combined with little creativity is concerning. Especially when we face teams with top strikers.
Totally agree with this, Varane immense at the back but in midfield we still seem to struggle to keep the ball. I'm hoping Casemiro will start on Sunday and start to change that. I'd like to see Fred alongside him with Eriksen in front. That would help massively with ball retention as Bruno constantly loses it.

justsomebloke

What usual standard was Rashford below? This has been him for a very long time. He wasn't even trying. Infuriating performance in my opinion. I hope he doesn't make England's World Cup squad.
Personally I think the assessment of Rashford on here has gone a bit overboard. Sure, he's not back where he was at his best, but he was good against Liverpool and he was good yesterday too. Not just an assist, he also created two good scoring chances with accurate, smart passes from the right after breaking through with good runs in cramped positions. Absolutely invisible against Southampton though.

The White Pele

I was a bit disappointed with the performance. I wanted to see us kick on really from the last two wins and win this one comfortably. I think we had the opportunities to do that but were sloppy at times in the final third. Adding Antony into the mix will help I’m sure.

Having said that, it’s been a long time since we found the habit of winning games 1-0 so it’s pleasing to do that in back to back games.

Prior to Southampton the last time we kept a clean sheet away from home was against Norwich last December. We only managed three in the whole of last season in the PL so to have two in a row, regardless of the opposition, is significant progress.

I’m really encouraged that Ten Hag has taken decisive action since the Brentford game and sharply cut out the chaotic nature of our defensive performances and made us much more resolute.

Given his reputation as an attacking, possession based coach I was concerned if things started badly whether he would be pragmatic enough to adapt but he has proven that he is.

Negative Red

I thought we played well. Leicester only looked dangerous from dodgy free-kicks they bought. Rashford and Elanga were poor. No issues with McTominay this time round, thought he played well. Hopefully Tony and Tony are fit for Arsenal.

captaincantona

Was critical of starting McT but he played well. A bit more purposeful on the ball. Our issue is our frontline. Elanga and Rashford are putting in a shift which gives us momentum and the right to play and win the ball back high…but they are completely useless once we win the ball.

Sancho is gonna benefit from having Antony on the other wing…

The issue is a striker who can press like Rashford but finish like Ronaldo. Tony Martial needs to start eating his weetabix and get fit quick Although it’s bleeding ridiculous that he is our only hope!

justsomebloke

Was critical of starting McT but he played well. A bit more purposeful on the ball. Our issue is our frontline. Elanga and Rashford are putting in a shift which gives us momentum and the right to play and win the ball back high…but they are completely useless once we win the ball.

Sancho is gonna benefit from having Antony on the other wing…

The issue is a striker who can press like Rashford but finish like Ronaldo. Tony Martial needs to start eating his weetabix and get fit quick Although it’s bleeding ridiculous that he is our only hope!
Elanga yes, but once more - on the ball, Rashford provided an assist and created at least another two good scoring chances. Our xA was 1.06, and 0.72 of that was Rashford's. So in fact, he was by far our best perfomer yesterday when it came to creating scoring chances....

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 378 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Leicester 1:2 Man Utd
  • 23% Leicester 0:2 Man Utd