PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:1 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sat, 12 September 2015

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
I had corporate tickets, so we took the train in nice n early so we could have a cheeky warm up. Great seats, GREAT atmosphere

DDG was announced last and received a standing ovation. Must've given him a great buzz

Comparing notes with a friend (who also went) and he said he was falling asleep in the first half. I wasnt. While I was worried where the goals would come from, I enjoyed the way we took control of the match. It might not be edge of the seat stuff but its important that we stamp our authority on games. Do that first, then start to attack more once the opp is on the back foot. Its not what we're used to but in games like this, and definitely in the ECL, it works.

Scoring right at the start of the 2nd was perfect. I have to confess we missed it. We were finishing our HT beers, when the cheer went up. The game is about 30 seconds behind on the TV's in the lounge, so just turned and watched it there. Got some stick when we went back to our seats!

Didnt miss the other goals though. Stone wall pen, great strike from Benteke, and then it was the Martial show. What a buzz!

Stayed in the lounges for a couple of hours (had a selfie with Paddy Grerand), then into town a few more. GREAT day. I even managed to put in a decent performance for my Sunday Vets teams without feeling too rough. Amazing what a win against Liverpool can do for an old man like myself :D

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I must say that I did find the first half very concerning. The stand out thing was the amount of times Herrera and Bastian picked the ball up in advanced positions, and I leaned forward in my seat as I do when I expect we could be on to something - only for them to turn back and pass behind them. Valencia is unfairly singled out in this respect, as I see a lot more than him doing it.

There was a moment where Bastian picked it up in a great shooting position, and the crowd rose to their feet and the noise went up - but he just turned round and went backwards. I noticed for the first time that there were a lot of groans at us looking backwards all the time when we were picking the ball up in space 40 yards from goal. It's not something I enjoy seeing.

Danillaco

The YNFA new video is just too funny. :lol:

Gomezssi, Bastian is Schwastika, and other nicknames that were way funnier than the Telegraph (Is it them that uses De Donut, Miss Bumbum and other nicknames?)

The Herrera bit and the Dion Dublin Martial had me in stitches. :lol:

IwatUwat

Dont quite understand everyone's thoughts with how the first half was so concerning, dont get me wrong it followed a pattern similar to some of our other non creative displays.

However we are playing a main competitor, early in the season. We controlled the whole play up until the first goal. Liverpool literally had no look in and it seemed easy for us. Dont get me wrong chances werent flowing. But Fellaini's touch was so bad, he often got played the ball in a position where I'd hope it'd stick and if it was Aguero for instance a shot would have resulted. Or with the lob effort, it could well have been a goal!

Although boring and in line with performances we have not overly enjoyed for creativity and spectical. We did completely dominate Liverpool so dont think its all bad.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
The timing on this match could be the making of us as a team. The biggest thing we've lacked this year, as the first half showed, is cohesion. That reflects another year of major changes to the starting XI and will take time to improve. But having Darmian, Schweini, Memphis, Martial, and Schneidelin all get to experience a United-Liverpool derby this early into their United careers was perfect. The likes of Giggs, Carrick, Smalling etc will have stressed how important the match was so for the new players to come through that together in front of the OT crowd will do wonders.

This, just before travelling together for CL instead of watching at home, was as good an outcome as we could have hoped. On we go...

Everest Red

Reddest ever
Controversial opinions: Benteke was lucky on that goal. Great finish but he couldn't have asked for an easier opportunity.
Where is the controversy?

He was lucky it was Herrera and not Jones challenging him. Herrera bottled it. Personally I would have disallowed the goal and sent him off for dangerous play:wenger:
If it were Jones, he'd challenge and injure both himself and Bentekkers.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
This fixture just doesn't excite anymore. At this stage, it's just hype than anything else (for neutrals like me). I only watched the first half. I can say that it was among the worst half of football I saw in recent times. I got so bored that I didn't even bother to open TV for 2nd half, instead spent my time watching 'The Man from Nowhere'. Liverpool is a mess, and that mess starts with their manager. I would be very very pissed if I was a Liverpool supporter. At current state, I doubt they deserve to be called even a mid-table club.
If only you had watched that in the first half too, we would have scored more.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

Local rivalry and the passion that comes with it. That's what goes when you don't have local players lining up for you and it's worth remembering this when folk get into discussions about the importance of local players and our identity as a club.
Reminds me of the United v Arsenal games after Keane and Vieira left. They lost the fire somewhere around 2006, 2007.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Bentekes goal was excellent technique but Herrera pussied out
When does an overhead kick become a high foot? If Herrera had taken one in the face? Seems like if you decide to shoot in the process it's fine to stick your studs in the air.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Totally agree with that so easy to hit one top bin from a bicycle kick in a massive derby match.
Easier than hitting one that's moving quickly and in two directions. He took it well, no doubt about that but there's a big gap in the degree of difficulty compared to Rooney's against City.

matt23

Mixed reviews from me. Unless Shaw was on a rampage we never really looked like creating anything from open play until Young came on, Fellaini was even worse than Rooney, Memphis continued to falter and to be honest they probably created the better chances, despite coming for a draw. Positives were the back line and Dave back doing his thing..Bastian looked more lively and Martial's goal was a great moment.

Bit worried about how happy we are to control the ball but not the game. There's a very simple difference between ourselves and more effective possession based systems - We don't actually pose much of a threat while we're on the ball, we might have had nearly all of the ball for that first half and gave Liverpool nothing, but there wasn't an overwhelming feeling that we could score whenever we wanted. Teams are far too happy to let us have the ball and it's no wonder when our best attacker is probably Luke Shaw.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Mixed reviews from me. Unless Shaw was on a rampage we never really looked like creating anything from open play until Young came on, Fellaini was even worse than Rooney, Memphis continued to falter and to be honest they probably created the better chances, despite coming for a draw. Positives were the back line and Dave back doing his thing..Bastian looked more lively and Martial's goal was a great moment.

Bit worried about how happy we are to control the ball but not the game. There's a very simple difference between ourselves and more effective possession based systems - We don't actually pose much of a threat while we're on the ball, we might have had nearly all of the ball for that first half and gave Liverpool nothing, but there wasn't an overwhelming feeling that we could score whenever we wanted. Teams are far too happy to let us have the ball and it's no wonder when our best attacker is probably Luke Shaw.
good summation.

Sigma

if he had been challenged properly, it would have been a foul...raised foot or he would not have had a clean shot.

Still it was a superb goal.
Disagree with that. The player knows full well Benteke is going to overhead kick and if he challenges it he puts himself in that situation. Jerome's goal for Norwich is an example, wrongly disallowed.

Shark

@NotShark

It doesn't help when a team has 10 men behind the ball, until Blind scored and they had to come out to play. I also think it's a telling sign that teams think they have to park the bus to get a positive result against us, which proves the opposite of what you're saying regarding us not being a threat on the ball. When teams play us, we usually come out on top.

Last edited:

Trizy

We are unbelievably solid and well drilled now as a unit, i dont think we get walked over by any team in the world now. Thats not to say we can beat barca/real/bayern over 2 legs but we wont get battered 3-0.

Goalkeeper - Check
Defence - Check
Midfield - Check
Attack - ??

This is the conundrum for us now going forward. the spine of our team seems settled and we have outstanding depth all over the park other than the final third. its baffling really, as it stands now, with the form Rooney has shown in the league this year, we are banking on 1 of martial or Depay to have a breakthrough season, in their first ever season for us to click offensively. you dont win the league unless you score goals, and regardless of the scoreline today, we just dont score goals against teams set up to soak our possession. The goal early on in the second half basically saved the game for us. If we didnt get that breakthrough from the set piece and pool are forced to work the ball forward, i dont see us getting 2 and 3 and at that stage anything can happen and you would bet your house on a jammy liverpool goal with the score deadlocked.

Brilliant win, with a moment that i will remember for a very long time, but that first half is still warning signs about our troubles offensively.
Yup our squad is quality apart from the attack. Our attack isn't good enough at all, you've Rooney who doesn't look comfortable the only striker, Mata isn't a winger and Memphis hasn't hit the ground running like we thought. If we add someone like Bale to that front three it would do wonders for the other attackers because Bale is a threat within himself and will pull players wide. Basically we need a superstar up front.

Trizy

Player Ratings

6.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 1015 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:0 Liverpool