PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:1 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sat, 12 September 2015

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
A real game of two halves.

It was a tumescent first-half, with neither side prepared to risk much in search of victory, but it turned into a cracking match after the break.

Once Blind scored from a well worked set piece early in the second-half, the game opened up. Herrera added a second goal from the penalty spot and United looked well in control. Benteke then scored a wonder goal with an overhead kick and it was game on again.

Then Anthony Martial introduced himself to Old Trafford with a stunning solo goal to secure victory. What a story. An incredible debut from the 19-year-old that lit up Old Trafford. He shut up a lot of people with that goal.

Important win for United and a deserved one in the end. They're up into second, ahead of Arsenal on goal difference, five points behind Manchester City.

dave2528

3 points

1. Liverpool are kind of shit...but that Benteke goal was something special.

2. Our defense looked outstanding again...whilst our offense struggled. The Blind goal was an outstanding free-kick play and was pulled off to perfection. Herrera did very well to bury that FK. Martial's goal was absolute class - there's no other defender in the league that I think could bring me as much joy in watching get skint as much as that piece of shit Skrtel.

3. Fellaini is NOT a striker, and his was every bit as wasteful and dire as any of Rooney's performances this year, especially in the first half. Memphis looked clueless when the defender took away his ability to cut to his right but, I'm not necessarily concerned with it because he's still very, very young and it's early days with him.

Also...welcome back big Dave. We missed you.

Last edited:

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Tight, safer style games like these are won and lost in small moments initially. Then open up.

In the first half we restricted Liverpool to almost no offensive threat and had a few openings ourselves but did not capitalise on them.

In the second half we worked a well rehearsed free kick and took a chance excellently through Daley Blind. Liverpool should have scored, possibly twice in a good 10 minute spell for them, but Blind also defended superbly. They then gifted us a penalty and we took it.

Then 2 absolute wonder goals. Benteke's might just be the best single strike of the season and then that might from Martial be the most meaningful goal of the season. Complete momentum driver in a dream sub debut appearance.

A couple of additional points:

The speed at which we win the ball back at times is frighteningly good. Carrick, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger are brilliant for this. Any combination of them.

Shaw and Carrick were also vying for MOTM at times but Blind's interceptions, defensive intelligence, interceptions, positioning and that finish seal the vote for him.

Memphis started well but faded. Annoyingly he would have been a superb sub to have had in that second half once the goals were scored.

Fellaini as a 9 was just about satisfactory. Keep in mind Liverpool were well versed in marshalling him after the Can horror show last time out. To have him as an out ball is always useful from any position. Would like to see it again.

Welcome back De Gea. The first one is done. Now to get back into that stride and form of the last 2 years.

Did anyone miss Rooney?

Varun

Staff
Controlled it from start to finish. Fully deserved 3 points.

Anthony Martial. Take a bow son. That's how you announce yourself.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
A top 4 worthy performance. Liverpool is no threat to United, they're too shit.

Raw

2nd half was brilliant, their goal was an absolute worldie so I'm not too bothered about no clean sheet.

So so so happy for Martial

Cina

Awful first half but that Martial goal is the most I've shouted in a very long long time when watching us.

Varun

Staff
Tight, safer style games like these are won and lost in small moments initially. Then open up.

In the first half we restricted Liverpool to almost no offensive threat and had a few openings ourselves but did not capitalise on them.

In the second half we worked a well rehearsed free kick and took a chance excellently through Daley Blind. Liverpool should have scored, possibly twice in a good 10 minute spell for them, but Blind also defended superbly. They then gifted us a penalty and we took it.

Then 2 absolute wonder goals. Benteke's might just be the best single strike of the season and then that might from Martial be the most meaningful goal of the season. Complete momentum driver in a dream sub debut appearance.

A couple of additional points:

The speed at which we win the ball back at times is frighteningly good. Carrick, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger are brilliant for this. Any combination of them.

Shaw and Carrick were also vying for MOTM at times but Blind's interceptions, defensive intelligence, interceptions, positioning and that finish seal the vote for him.

Memphis started well but faded. Annoyingly he would have been a superb sub to have had in that second half once the goals were scored.

Fellaini as a 9 was just about satisfactory. Keep in mind Liverpool were well versed in marshalling him after the Can horror show last time out. To have him as an out ball is always useful from any position. Would like to see it again.

Welcome back De Gea. The first one is done. Now to get back into that stride and form of the last 2 years.

Did anyone miss Rooney?
You had all that typed out waiting for FT didn't you?

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Shocking first half. The goal changed everything. I'm still not convinced by LVG.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
You had all that typed out waiting for FT didn't you?
Copy and pasted each section from what's app group chat. May have started 1 min before the whistle went...

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Depending on who you play next i'd maybe play Martial instead of Memphis who might benefit from being dropped in a game to show if he has the mettle.

mu4c_20le

They had some chances, but Liverpool were really dire today. Looked happy to sit back and let us have possession, I expected much more fight from them.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
A first goal to completely erase from our memories, a better second half with better tempo and the key sub of Depay with Young which paid off instantly.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Awful first half but that Martial goal is the most I've shouted in a very long long time when watching us.
Standing up from the couch, shouting at the TV, high-fiving anything in sight sort of moment.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Get in!! Young changed the approach towards game and Blind with great work on either goals....and Martial... :drool:

Browniee

Shit first half. fecking fantastic second!
Was on the phone to my mum when Martial scored his goal, shouted so loud and hung up on her. Get the feck in.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Typical boring frustrating first half

fantastic second half can't put into words how happy I was for martial to bag himself a goal, when it went in my voice hit a note I didn't know was even possible since my balls dropped.

Also special mention to martin Tyler nearly creaming his pants when it went in, he cheered that goal louder than any United fan.

the hea

Controlled the game from the start to the finish and deserved the win. Blind, Shaw and Schweinsteiger were very good but the situation with our wingers are getting worrying neither Mata or Memphis were nowhere good enough and with all the money we have spent Young is still our best winger.

Player Ratings

6.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 1015 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:0 Liverpool
  • 20% Man Utd 2:1 Liverpool