PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:1 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sat, 12 September 2015

Get In Scholesy

It was a comfortable game from start to finish, I had a feeling it would be because I wasn't nervous at all the night before the game.

The first half was a bore but the second was great. 3-1 was a fair result in my opinion as I did see Liverpool scoring, was a great goal too.

Martial's goal made the win even sweeter, such brilliant movement to create the chance for himself followed up by a excellent finish.

Ps. Welcome back Big Dave :D

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Jesus Christ Souness is even doing Carragher's head in now. Why's he not letting anyone speak?

littlepeasoup

Just coming back from the game and some random thoughts.

What a second half.

Say what you like about his ability, there is no one that embodies the cavalier spirit of United better than Ashley Young.

BFS can be the heart and soul of our team. Was terrific second half.

Liverpool are an average team with an above average striker.

Oh and WHAT A GOAL.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's almost as if we threw philosophy out of the window. Can't really remember us controlling possession in the second half. A very, very long awaited exciting 45 minutes.
Now come on. Just because we play well in a half it doesn't mean we abandoned the "philosophy" and that's why we played well. It's more likely because we implemented it better. LVG's philosophy is't going to change from half to half if that's what you're expecting.

LitterBug

No-one likes (a) litterbug
Brilliant listening to Souness and Carragher sulking hahahahahaha

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Now come on. Just because we play well in a half it doesn't mean we abandoned the "philosophy" and that's why we played well. It's more likely because we implemented it better. LVG's philosophy is't going to change from half to half if that's what you're expecting.
When I see us playing like this on a consistent basis, then I'll regain my belief in this philosophy.

Cina

Im confused as to who Martin Tyler is supposed to be bias too, you guys seme to think its Liverpool but over at RAWK they say this

Good performance in the end from you guys, always love to see Liverpool battered.
That was classic Tyler commentary for the Martial goal to be fair. It'll be repeated many times.

amolbhatia50k

When I see us playing like this on a consistent basis, then I'll regain my belief in this philosophy.
I'm not asking you gain belief in anything. I'm correcting your logic of choosing to believe it's us abandoning of the philosophy when we play well and sticking to it when we don't. That's called being selective.

crossy1686

career ending
Details please
They're both pissed off about Liverpool's defending on the free kick that led to Blind's goal. Carragher was saying someone should have realised something was going on and dealt with the situation and Souness was just angry about the poor defending so he took it out on Carragher by shouting at him and asking him what would he have done if he was in the Liverpool defence for that free kick.

Varun

Staff
They're both pissed off about Liverpool's defending on the free kick that led to Blind's goal. Carragher was saying someone should have realised something was going on and dealt with the situation and Souness was just angry about the poor defending so he took it out on Carragher by shouting at him and asking him what would he have done if he was in the Liverpool defence for that free kick.
:lol:

Hurting scousers.

hbgreg

I hope you're being sarcastic.
The way this board jumped on the whole shots on goal thing was so weird. I remmeber we had 8/9 shots on goal against Newcastle and noone mentioned it. It's a ridiculous criticism that gets cherry-picked.

Lewis.no.9

Can I make a very valid point.

Norwich against palace earlier this season. Jerome scores a great over head kick which is disallowed for high boot and dangerous play.

Benteke does the same thing but it stands?.....seems a poor precedence to put it in place. How can 1 bicycle kick goal be dangerous play and not stand, but another be "A worldie strike"..?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It was a comfortable game from start to finish, I had a feeling it would be because I wasn't nervous at all the night before the game.

The first half was a bore but the second was great. 3-1 was a fair result in my opinion as I did see Liverpool scoring, was a great goal too.

Martial's goal made the win even sweeter, such brilliant movement to create the chance for himself followed up by a excellent finish.

Ps. Welcome back Big Dave :D
Neither was I. I had a very bad feeling against Swansea but here I just knew we will beat them and Liverpool didn't show anything going forward

Varun

Staff
The way this board jumped on the whole shots on goal thing was so weird. I remmeber we had 8/9 shots on goal against Newcastle and noone mentioned it. It's a ridiculous criticism that gets cherry-picked.
Good lad.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Cheers:
  • Martial.
  • Blind scores one, saves one; MotM
  • Herrera redeems another indifferent first half by earning/scoring PK
Jeers:
  • 5 league games in, 2 goals from open play (and one of the scorers is on loan).
  • Depth of attacking options
  • Mmm... I don't know... F### Liverpool

Woodenlung

The first half performance really worries me. So static and risk averse. It's not the football I want to see us play and it's not the football that'll win us leagues. Second half was better because we had Young actually looking to beat players and play like a winger rather than an inside forward ala Depay.

It's hard to judge this performance because Liverpool were very poor. There were some good things like the composed display of Schweinsteiger, Young's injection of urgency into the side, Shaw's continuous improvement and Darmian's solidity.

To me, the individual performances aren't really the problem, but the tactics.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I'm not asking you gain belief in anything. I'm correcting your logic of choosing to believe it's us abandoning of the philosophy when we play well and sticking to it when we don't. That's called being selective.
It was tongue in cheek.

Like I said before, once we start playing well consistently, we'll get a better idea of our philosophy. So far, I've seen us play far more poor games than good. However, that was an improvement, so, hopefully, we'll use this game to kick-start our season.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Even if we haven't managed to get back the winning titles habit after loosing it post Ferguson, we have certainly got Liverpool's number again. Shitting on them under Van Gaal.

Devil may care

The first half was very dull but we were controlling things nicely, then in the second we turned the tempo up a bit even though it still took a set piece to get the goal.

The back 4 were immaculate again and the superior experience, quality and technique of Schweinsteiger and Carrick absolutely bossed the Liverpool midfield of run all game workers, in fact Bastian out-ran their midfield as well, great engine.

In fairness up top we still look woefully un-creative for the vast amount of the time and Fellaini struggled as a #9 but was better as the #10. Martial's goal was class and MOTD will be getting their Henry comparisons prepped!

vivaronaldo

Game needed a goal and changed when it did... Martial if that's a glimpse wow can't wait for the full version... Welcome to United son

amolbhatia50k

It was tongue in cheek.

Like I said before, once we start playing well consistently, we'll get a better idea of our philosophy. So far, I've seen us play far more poor games than good. However, that was an improvement, so, hopefully, we'll use this game to kick-start our season.
Ah, cool.

No doubt it will take a lot more to convince people of our attack.

Player Ratings

6.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 1015 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:0 Liverpool
  • 20% Man Utd 2:1 Liverpool