PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:1 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sat, 12 September 2015

Parry Gallister

They lost that game as much as we won it. Tactics and set-up were all wrong from the start - 7 players in defensive positions when we started with Fellaini as a 9 and they still ship 3 goals, that's very poor. When the cameras focused on their cbs they looked scared shitless .

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Put yourself in the boots of a Liverpool fan. Benteke scores wonder goal. And then....

PeteReDevil

iPete
Don't think we should be bitching too much about the lack of chances in the first half, considering how much the opposition packed in and sit low on the pitch

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Rooney gets injured and we finally start scoring goals in the league. Predictable but awkwaaaaard for Captain Undroppable.

Mind you, he might have scored today. Liverpool aren't much better than San Marino these days.

Manny

Grammar Police
I didn't see the game today though I've seen the goals... But from what I've read in general is was another boring game and average performance? We just happened to be better than a terrible Liverpool side?

But does this game raise more questions than it answers? Herrera must start? Martial to start? Rooney wasn't even missed? What is our best midfield pairing? And what's our best options in attack.

So how did the young lad do? Other than his wonder goal of course. Did he run at people and look to try things? My god I just hope LVG doesn't beat that kind of play out of him like he seems to be doing with Memphis.
Hate to break it to you, but that was quite a fun game you've missed.

First half may have been boring but the second half more then made up for it.

Tincanalley

They're both pissed off about Liverpool's defending on the free kick that led to Blind's goal. Carragher was saying someone should have realised something was going on and dealt with the situation and Souness was just angry about the poor defending so he took it out on Carragher by shouting at him and asking him what would he have done if he was in the Liverpool defence for that free kick.
This is classic old school punditry. It never praises creative ideas. It never praises inventive play. Its based on the idea that if everyone 'stayed switched on' or 'done their job' no one would ever score. Its particularly galling for them because it was a planned set play. Mmm. Delicious.

marlowe78

Always glad to get 3 against the cretins. A good performance, I wouldn't go as far as to say very good or great.

I was shooting my mouth on the match day thread after the first half, I thought we were dire. Liverpool, of course, weren't making things any easier for us since they sat back and defended but we really didn't play with any kind of urgency at all. All of our plays in deep were through Memphis and he looked to be hampered for some reason. He was running in the same kind of line to the near post and getting dispossessed every other time. Luckily Pool had nothing going forward and didn't play with any kind of energy until they were behind.

The clear game-changer was bringing on Young, who is really looking our best winger ATM. Young made a lot of good moves and is very efficient in possession, which gave Pool a lot more to deal with. I don't know what, but we really need to do something about the right because Mata was totally useless except for passing it backwards. I understood starting him because of his performance at Anfield last season but there was nothing he did today of any note. If Memphis can improve, maybe we could play Young and Memphis as our wingers with the option to switch sides during games. We don't seem to have any wingers left after the loans (except Valencia, dear God) so I don't know if this would be the right strategy.

Our defending was pretty solid except for that 10-minute stretch when Pool menaced around the goal. I really have mixed feelings towards Blind now - he is undoubtedly a very smart player and did superbly to clear the line today but there are other times like when he was completely outpaced by Kline on the wing. He deserves to keep playing there for the time being but I still think it's a matter of time before he's exposed. Aside from that, it was really a brilliant goal he scored. You have to see the view from directly behind the goal to realize how difficult of a shot he needed to take so that it curled away from the defenders and keeper into the left corner.

Let's not forget that De Gea made two very important saves and if Romero were in goal, who knows what the result might've been?

My choice for MOTM would be Shaw, who I thought was immense in carrying into the final third and securing the left. Young and Blind definitely should be considered, too.

I give the performance a 7/10. Outside of those 10 minutes when Liverpool pressured us, we looked fully in control.

My thanks also to Martial for giving me a sore throat when I started yelling.

Tincanalley

His quotes will get twisted and the anti lvg crowd will eat them up but he meant we played better than Liverpool is the first half.
Twenty minutes in I postd in the match thread that L'pool were running their little goolies off and would tire. I also thought that Carrick and Bastian were dominating. What do people want? I can't understand negativity in the Caf after a match like this. They should try being Liverpool or Chelsea fans tonight. Or they should start watching football, and get away from the computer. Its a great, unpredictable, frustrating, maddening, loveable exhilarating game.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Second half much better but Liverpool parked it the first 45. Oh and Martial, what a debut that was :drool:.

Winrar

what a debut goal for martial, throughly deserved win for us as well. memphis needs to get his shit sorted though (which he has a lot of time to do), or he'll lose his place to young.

benteke's goal was a cracker in fairness. one of few rival goals that got me off my seat for a sec, against us no less.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
what a debut goal for martial, throughly deserved win for us as well. memphis needs to get his shit sorted though (which he has a lot of time to do), or he'll lose his place to young.

benteke's goal was a cracker in fairness. one of few rival goals that got me off my seat for a sec, against us no less.
Already has. Young deserves to start over Memphis.

Cathy Ferguson

De Gea's save on Ings' bouncing shot was crucial. I doubt that Romero would have saved that.

We look very solid defensively, but still lack pace and urgency going forward. Maybe Martial is ready to lead the line while Rooney pulls the strings in a No 10 role?

Red Stone

Welcome, Martial and welcome back, Dave.

Also, Blind was amazing today. Took his goal extremely well. Very refreshing to have a centre back that can do stuff like that instead of just defending like a champion or making funny faces.

Van Gaalacticos

Anthony Martial is ready right now to lead the United line. Rooney playing behind him could be a great partnership. The Martial goal bagged me £31 today too, might not seem a lot but means loads (and a takeaway) to me until payday :lol:

Get in Martial :devil::devil::devil:

Walters_19_MuFc

Think the best team won, and I actually think, although we scored three in the scored half, we were better in the first. Reason being, we kept the ball a lot better, controlled the game and got into good areas. Unfortunately, with all the possession, we never had anyone on the pitch to do that something special. Too often we got into good areas and we lost it, which is obviously why Van Gaal brought on Young, who played very well when he come on, and played a big part in the first goal, where he won a free kick.

I think once we scored that goal, we made it harder than it should have been. We no longer controlled the game, and because of this, Liverpool were able to get back in the game. Fortunately, a few blocks off the line by Blind and a couple of good saves by De Gea meant we were still at one nil, and had the possibility of going two goals up, which we thankfully did. Great ball by Carrick, with a great run by Herrera to win the pen, which was a stonewaller. Took it very well.

After that, again, we should have seen out the game, but we seemed really nervous and gave away the ball aimlessly. Liverpool scored, and to be fair, it was a super goal by Benteke.

At this time, I was nervous as feck, as it was obvious Liverpool were going to pile on the pressure. Thankfully, we got the boy to a young boy called Martial, and the rest is history........

Well deserved win in the end. Well done boys! :D

montpelier

First half was dreadful - Fellaini up top not threatening their AWFUL defence. Controlling a game where nothing is happening and the 'even worse' opposition are happy that there's nothing happening.

Then you have to be fair to LVG and say that Young > Memphis was a good assertive substitution, although he is technically right Utd were in less control 2nd half. Think I'd rather have less overall control and score most goals though :)

Liverpool are terrible, we shouldn't too excited. Martial only had to go past Skrtel when all's said & done, innit.

Great win, though :D

carlosp

Tight, safer style games like these are won and lost in small moments initially. Then open up.

In the first half we restricted Liverpool to almost no offensive threat and had a few openings ourselves but did not capitalise on them.

In the second half we worked a well rehearsed free kick and took a chance excellently through Daley Blind. Liverpool should have scored, possibly twice in a good 10 minute spell for them, but Blind also defended superbly. They then gifted us a penalty and we took it.

Then 2 absolute wonder goals. Benteke's might just be the best single strike of the season and then that might from Martial be the most meaningful goal of the season. Complete momentum driver in a dream sub debut appearance.

A couple of additional points:

The speed at which we win the ball back at times is frighteningly good. Carrick, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger are brilliant for this. Any combination of them.

Shaw and Carrick were also vying for MOTM at times but Blind's interceptions, defensive intelligence, interceptions, positioning and that finish seal the vote for him.

Memphis started well but faded. Annoyingly he would have been a superb sub to have had in that second half once the goals were scored.

Fellaini as a 9 was just about satisfactory. Keep in mind Liverpool were well versed in marshalling him after the Can horror show last time out. To have him as an out ball is always useful from any position. Would like to see it again.

Welcome back De Gea. The first one is done. Now to get back into that stride and form of the last 2 years.

Did anyone miss Rooney?
To be honest, I thought Schweinsteiger was the only other player on the field that should have won the MotM award. Daley deserved it though. Glad for him and hope he has shut up the naysayers on the forum now. He has been great/excellent this season so far.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Watching the interview, I'm pretty sure what he meant to say was we were the better team in the first half and he went on to say that we didn't create enough.
Yeah he just meant that we controlled the game better. But he said our final third play was poor. Also, he made a good point that Young made a difference, as well as being a goal up, which creates space to attack.

McUnited

I missed the first hour or so, but from what I saw, was most impressed with…

1) Schweinsteiger's rising fitness/mobility/energy levels.
2) Martial's pace.
3) Blind's composure and versatility.

carlosp

I thought we were brilliant defensively and in the midfied the first half, unfortunately we didn't seem to have anyone who could score. The second half was definitely better once we scored, Martial also took his chance brilliantly.

Tincanalley

Brendan Rodgers, speaking to Sky Sports: "You are never happy when you lose a game, especially to your rival. The only positive for me is that we had a defeat here last year and we got better". Come to OT and be improved; become better by getting played off the pitch. :lol::lol::lol:

siw2007

Very good performance from United. Liverpool were terrible for 80 minutes but I think that we had a huge say in that. The first half was quite flat as we just couldn't find the final pass even though we were playing quite well. Memphis was struggling here, I feel he is finding it hard to adapt to the standard of the premier league. Young was the catalyst in the second half who gave Clyne a tough time.

Blind, Shaw, Young and Schweinsteiger were all superb. Great goal from Blind from a well worked set piece, though I don't think Liverpool could have reacted any slower. Disappointing to concede that goal from Benteke, it was stunning but Liverpool shouldn't have created those chances. Big thumbs up to Martial who scored a fabulous debut goal and totally 'did' Skertl.

distancerunner

Little peas, like tiny little peas
I thought we looked good at the back again which is great. We have to keep Blind in that role. Having a strong midfield helps and when Dave gets his sharpness back we'll be hard to break down. Up front I think Mempis has to get some time as a centre forward. He's not having much fun on the wing. And we need strikers. Was he not top scorer in the Dutch league last year?

Player Ratings

6.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 1015 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:0 Liverpool
  • 20% Man Utd 2:1 Liverpool