g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:1 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sat, 12 September 2015

Oo0AahCantona

3 points, Outstanding performances from Blind, Schweinsteiger and shaw.

and what a debut from martial, moment of magic.

First half was piss poor though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Quite a dull first half but we completely dominated the game.

Liverpool played like cowards.

Schweinsteiger was brilliant, Martial announcing himself at OT in style, and the defence was dominant.

Oh, and most importantly, we beat Liverpool!

All in all, I'm very happy. I certainly think we need to show more quality than we did in the first half and performances what we saw from Mata and Memphis can't be acceptable. Martial and Young added far far more. But the second half was quite good. Also, I wish we'd stop going for mental holidays after scoring.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
At half time I could not see us scoring one goal, never mind three. The performance level went up massively and everyone of Van Gaal's changes paid off, even sticking Herrera down the right.

A lot of positives to take away from that game. Blind stood up to a big burly striker well, and had an all around solid performance. Despite their combined age Carrick and Sweinsteiger looked good. Herrera continues to provide goals from midfield. Smashley Young looks his old self.

Special mention, of course, to Martial. The kid's got the Vava Voom. To do that in a United vs Liverpool derby, at such a crucial point in the game when Liverpool looked like they might get back into it, the kid has 'it'.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This feels like reward for watching the first 45 minutes.

Varun

Staff
Depending on who you play next i'd maybe play Martial instead of Memphis who might benefit from being dropped in a game to show if he has the mettle.
If Rooney is still out, I'd start Young over Memphis and Martial over Fellaini

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
A game of two halves.

Fantastic for Martial - that will have done his confidence an absolute world of good and rightly so. If he had failed to perform today then there would probably be questions about whether he is ready yet, but as things stand, I expect most will have no issue with him starting for us if/when needed.

I also really liked his bit of holdup play when Lovren was hacking away at him - showed some strength and bravery, and that he is no shrinking violet. A real positive from tonight.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Im confused as to who Martin Tyler is supposed to be bias too, you guys seme to think its Liverpool but over at RAWK they say this

Hahaha Could Tyler be any more transparent. “YEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!” Better than Benteke’s goal. That’s right Martin, keep puffing whatever you are puffing. Odious prick.
Good performance in the end from you guys, always love to see Liverpool battered.

bubbles_

Schweinsteiger MOTM for me. Absolutely everywhere. Hopefully fitness concerns hopefully behind him.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Get the feck in there!!!!!!

First half was flat and we lacked ideas but luckily they were absolutely terrible so it just ended up with is not attacking and them not being good enough to attack us.

Changing Memphis for young at half time was a brilliant move and Young did more in 90 seconds then Memphis has managed on 5 league games so far.

Much more urgency on display, quicker ball recycling, quicker to everything with nice touches and passes.

Hats off to Benteke for his volley, lovely finish but the Martials goal was something else.

Get in!! To the RAWK thread..

izec

We always look good and win most big games, need to put in these performances against the lower ranked teams.

stu_1992

Delighted with the result. Second half was a massive improvement. Well worked set piece for the first goal. They can have no complaints with the penalty. Last but not least, what a moment for Martial. Great goal, and nice to see a forward player take players on with a bit of pace.

Young surprisingly made a big difference to the game. Didn't expect that. Memphis was poor. I thought it was harsh to take off Mata though. Great work by Blind to keep out that goal too. Great to see De Gea back.

Oh and special mention to that Benteke goal. Wow. :eek:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Total domination from the start. First half was a bore but it was very comfortable at least. Our attacking was very very limited but I was very impressed with how quickly we won the ball back every time.

Better second half. Great finish from Blind. Great penalty from Herrera. Wonderful run and goal from Martial. I keep watching it. I love how he sells Skrtel up the river. Just superb.

We are still cautious but credit where it is due - we are very solid.

togg

Ok..so I copy and paste this from the match thread.

Brilliant...as a LVG fan, I'm so pleased for him. No...we are not playing the best football ever....but the players he has bought are right up there. Solid..great and bedding in. Blind was brilliant, Smalling has become a Rio, Bastian is so solid and experienced which can only help the younger players, and Martial is a prospect. Shaw is now showing his potential, so perhaps LVG wasn't wrong about his fitness, and Darmian is such a good buy. He didn't sell Young and a good thing to. Plus we still have De Gea...hey...it's looking ok.

caid

Have mixed feelings about that tbh.
Think a fair bit of our defensive solidity has disappeared in the last 2 games, liverpool were just too shit to take advantage, though the had a couple of decent chances all the same.
The control we get from possession tends to desert us when we go ahead and you'd want to kill the game a bit.
We looked completely toothless for long periods.
Memphis had a poor game, just not coming off for him and his head seems to have dropped a bit. Needs a bit of a boost but i think i'd probably drop him despite that. Think it'll be a tough choice for the next match.

Young improved us quite a lot, only attacking player who ever really looked likely to (even try to) create something.
Great debut from Martial, won't get my hopes up too much for him though. He'll have his ups and downs.
Great game from Blind, very happy with our back 4.

Minimalist

Much needed result and an awesome second half. Even Benteke decided to give us a world-class goal just to add to the entertainment. :lol:

DDG returns and puts in a decent performance on his big return. A shaky moment or two though.

Blind and Smalling dominant. Blind's scores a stupidly good goal (far harder to hit that well than it looks).

Full-backs as usual offering support the entire game. Shaw especially, looks incredible. Scary for his age.

Bastian bossed the midfield. Game was too easy for him today. Only had to assert himself a few times to remind the Liverpool XI who was running the show.

Young was a good sub. Mata, Herrera and Fellaini relatively quiet but not bad. Herrera's penalty was excellent.

Memphis was okay but understandably came off as he wasn't driving at Clyne and giving him work to do.

And Martial? What a debut. Thats all has to be said. One of the best goals against Liverpool we've seen.

prateik

Was listening to the Young/Blind interview. The Best chant was loud and clear in the background :D

Anustart89

Is that the United players singing the George Best chant during Young and Blind's post-match interview?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Also, after so many years, it's just awesome to go into a game vs a big rival knowing that the midfield battle will be won. For that LvG deserves credit.

kps88

Credit to LVG for bringing on Young at HT; hope he keeps his place in the team now. Still a bit worried we didn't create much as a team though.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
It's almost as if we threw philosophy out of the window. Can't really remember us controlling possession in the second half. A very, very long awaited exciting 45 minutes.

Manchie

In the end the match lived unto its expectation and what a display from our defence and midfield players bar Memphis. Martial is the next big thing

Flying_Heckfish

So pedestrian in the first half, we need to play at the higher tempo. When we went at them, rather than around them, it was much easier for us. We need to have the bravery and confidence to do it. All of the defence can deal with the counters, believe in them and take the chances up front.

Disappointed with Memphis so far, real shame. Just not working out for him.

If Rooney is injured then Martial should play up front rather than Fellaini, it doesn't suit him. Martial suits the system better than Rooney anyway on the basis of that showing so he can make the position his own - Fellaini will never do that.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Boring first half, but our defence looked strong.

Second half was great. Completely dominant, and saw 2 very good goals. Schweinsteiger was just fecking amazing. The smooth operator. Martial's goal was just the cherry on top. A very fecking big cherry.

hbgreg

Only 3 shots on goal what a disgrace to the football club

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Slow start but really enjoyed the second half. Good team performance.

This team will get better as the season goes on - well balanced and most of the time in control.

Really looking forward to the European campaign.

Question around Martial - how will he handle the transition of playing in front of a handful of fans in Monaco to playing at OT against their fiercest rival - looks like we have our answer, cool head, exciting future

Player Ratings

6.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 1015 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:0 Liverpool
  • 20% Man Utd 2:1 Liverpool