EL L Europa League Round of 16 1st Leg

Liverpool 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 10 March 2016

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
How far this club has fallen is just shocking. We are in complete free fall.

Blatzo

Check my posts - I'm a pacifist and a "happy clapper." I also think I'm pragmatic and slow to criticise - I don't tend to jump to conclusions.

That said, give me the team talk at Old Trafford.

If I could be given 10 minutes to stand in front of those players and tell them what United vs Liverpool means. Tell them about the abuse growing up. Tell them about a day in the life of somebody who grew up living and breathing united spending their day in close proximity to Liverpool fans. Tell them about the rivalry every day of your life, instead of for 5 (rough average) years of your career.. no fecking way would they put in such a heartless performance.

We had 14 players on that pitch tonight and, as far as I could see, a very small minority of those players played like their entire fecking life was on the line...

This is United... against Liverpool... in Europe - for the first time in my entire life time. If you can't get up for this game, hang your fecking boots up.

There's some talented players in our squad but they need to make that badge, that heritage, that tradition and that pride worth more than their whole entire life before they even dare to put that shirt on; I'm one of the few people in the world who doesn't have a problem with footballers wages - but tonight should have been the kind of night where they justify them. Our team didn't.

If we don't put up a fight at Old Trafford I'm going to be devastated - I genuinely think I'd be happier seeing us lose, having had men sent off, actually competing, than have a pragmatic 1-0 win that sees us exit the competition.

I don't mind us losing games - I want to see a team with that cavalier (cliche) attitude. We were such a long way away from that tonight and we deserved to lose. We're dying anyway - for god sake do it trying!

This is the kind of post that might get picked up in other forums' meltdown threads - be my guest. You've all spent years calling people like me glory supporters, not proper fans, fairweather fans, part-time fans and the like.

Right now I'm hurting - and I'm hurting because I support my team and I don't like to see us lose against our rivals in a game where the players didn't seem to care (with minor exceptions). Almost all of my fellow fans, I would imagine, feel the same. You can't critize us for both.
I always end up of the bottom of the page when I write a "serious" post!

bucky

Worrying how hopeless and helpless the players are. We can blame Van Gaal all we want, but they shouldn't need much motivating for this game. Even if van Gaal talks utter nonsense and gets the tactics wrong before the game, they shouldn't be this lifeless.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
@noodlehair If you do one of your ratings review it'd be the only positive out of this.
I went to a gig instead of watching the game.

I saw the starting line up and decided I'd give going straight home to watch it on record after a miss aswell, so I just got home.

I can tell you now, without watching a minute of the game, that Liverpool would have pressed high up the pitch, and the players LVG chose to play at centreback and in midfield, would have been unable to cope. If I'm wrong fair dos but I'd put money on not being, because Scheniederlin and Blind have zero composure under pressure, which means we picked a team relying on the passing ability of Smalling and Fellaini.

We're left as usual with the inescapable conclusion that Van Gaal either never watches any football games at all (including our ones), or much more worryingly, does.

Last edited:

Eddy_JukeZ

I went to a gig instead of watching the game.

I looked at who started in our midfield, and then at the three substitutes who came on but didn't start the game, and have decided from this that watching the game would only infuriate me.
Need that post match review from you. Suck it up and watch I say.

markhrad

There was a time that my students feared when Utd lost as they knew I would be miserable and mean for the next few days. The last few years none have experienced my wrath because I no longer approach matches with the same level of expectations. Gone are the days that when Utd was losing I would still believe we would come back to win even in extra time.
Our present players are, in general, not good enough and they have no passion. Mata has skill but is lazy and only wants to score goals. Even when we bought good players they became lousy.
Some scoffed at me when I said with Rooney as our main man that we would win nothing and that we would have to wait for his contract to be up before we could start our way back up to the top. It is not that Rooney is not good ( he is over-rated but he is a decent player ) but in catering for him other players were sacrificed. Evra who is an inspirational leader left because he knew that Moyes was going to give Rooney the captaincy. RVP, Falcao and di Maria appeared useless and lost confidence because Rooney would not link up with them due to his love of side passes, back passes and long pass out to the Right wing so he could meet the cross himself. Nani who is incredibly skillful became the brunt of unfair criticism with many questioning his intelligence simply because he did not prescribe to just running down the wing and crossing the ball to Rooney ala Valencia.
When Nani did that, like the glorious bicycle kick Rooney scored against City, Rooney loved Nani but if Nani cut in onto his Left foot and tried something for himself, Rooney would openly berate him and the fans bought into it.
I am surprised that Martial has not become discouraged yet, maybe its because he has the ability to create his own goals.
Well, onto the next match, one in which I will have again no expectations. Its like the 70s and 80s all over again but at least then we played with passion..

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
1. I can see why Keane hates Carrick
2. Depay is just shocking
3. I can see why Mourinho ditched Mata.
4. Martial is wrecked (As in tired)
5. I've no idea what Morgan S is supposed to be doing
6. Fellaini is useless and has no business being here but, he was one of few who looked up for it.
7. De Gea is the best in the world and deserves better than this!
8. Away fans are fecking incredible
9. Those on here who "can't help but love" Klopp, did you see his grinning, smug interview no?

Last edited:

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
1. I can see why Keane hates Carrick
2. Depay is just shocking
3. I can see why Mourinho ditched Mata.
4. Martial is wrecked (As in tired)
5. I've no idea what Morgan S is supposed to be doing
6. Fellaini is useless and has no business being here but, he was one of few who looked up for it.
7. De Gea is the best in the world and deserves better than this!
8. Away fans are fecking incredible
9. Does on here who "can't help but love" Klopp, did you see his grinning, smug interview no?
Agree with most of that but 8 and 9 are ridiculous.

8. yes, because mocking and glorifying the Hillsborough disaster is 'incredible'.
9. He's the Liverpool manager. And you are his rivals. Why wouldn't he be happy?

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?

8. yes, because mocking and glorifying the Hillsborough disaster is 'incredible'.
9. He's the Liverpool manager. And you are his rivals. Why wouldn't he be happy?
Ok well, I didn't know that. Apologies. And as far as Klopp goes, why would any United fan say, "Ah I just love him" after smirking, grinning and acting like a smug fecker after beaten their own team?!That's just ridiculous.

That's like Liverpool fans saying "Oh yeah, I can't help but love Wayne Rooney and Gary Neville"

noodlehair

"It's like..."

Can we not have one Liverpool vs United game without this stupid argument?

United fans always go to Anfield and do this. Liverpool fans always come to OT and think Munich is funny. Until everyone just agrees the whole lot of them are boring and childish and treats the matter as such, it is never going to stop.

I get more wound up by the people who try to make agendas/brush tarring arguments out of the stupid chanting than the people who actually do it. There's no moral high horse to get on it's just idiots at a football match being idiots. All this does is ensure that it will happen again next time.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
Ok well, I didn't know that. Apologies. And as far as Klopp goes, why would any United fan say, "Ah I just love him" after smirking, grinning and acting like a smug fecker after beaten their own team?!That's just ridiculous.

That's like Liverpool fans saying "Oh yeah, I can't help but love Wayne Rooney and Gary Neville"
Fair enough lad. You don't have to apologise either, I knew you weren't justifying it necessarily.

Meh. I get what you mean but I just think it's silly to find fault with the fact he was happy after the game. It is possible to like/respect players or managers even though they enjoy winning, sometimes against your team.

EDIT: If there are United fans saying they love Klopp TONIGHT then that's a bit different and I can see why you'd take issue with that. That would seem to me like a strange devoidance of passion.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Completely outclassed in the half that I saw. Scoreline suggests nothing changed after.

Liverpool played intelligent, cohesive and purposeful football.

We spent all of our time playing long passed to fellaini on the left.

Just goes to the show the impact of the two coaches and the direction in which the teams are headed.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I didn't watch as it was a 4am start. Why did Fellaini play in such an important game for our season when he hasn't played for ages?
To beat the high press tactic. Problem is, we looked as if we've just been practicing that one long pass routine for months rather than playing football as a team. The difference in how well drilled the two teams were was shocking to see.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
To beat the high press tactic. Problem is, we looked as if we've just been practicing that one long pass routine for months rather than playing football as a team. The difference in how well drilled the two teams were was shocking to see.
Sadly the long ball option is only one way to beat high pressing but LVG doesnt appear to know the others.

Esquire

Back to page one, DDG saves us, to be fair it could've been fecking 5-0 tonight and we wouldn't be able to complain.

The masterstroke of tonight though is that Carrick sub. I mean what the feck. Outplayed in midfield, he notices it, fine, brings CM on, great, actually fecking tells him to play as a 3rd central defender, shuffles everything around and yea, we don't look that bad as we did in the first half but it's still fecking completly idiotic change. Then Carrick gives the ball away and it's 2-0.

Then you've got shit like Fellaini playing full 90 despite coming back off an injury, idiotic tactics such as chasing Cuntinho and Vermino (thanks @GifLord, that's a great nickname for him) by our fullbacks all over the pitch opening hotpockets of space all over the flanks and so on.

LVG's an inept, out of depth idiotic cnut who's destroying this club. I somewhat hope that this shit will finally end once we lost to WHU because there'll be nothing to play for anymore. Out of EL, out of FA and hopeless in the league.
I didn't watch the game as I'm in a far away timezone but it sounds like LVG normal service has been resumed, no, actually worse than usual. I've noticed the usual adjectives like rancid, putrid, pathetic, inept being thrown about all over the thread. Glad that I missed the game.

Great management plans. Wait till every disintegrates before we get rid of LVG because we are not a firing club or that some don't like Jose. What tremendous decisive leadership.

Esquire

Some very gutless displays today. Van Gaal obviously needs to go, but there's a complete lack of leadership among the players as well. Looks like a team full of cowards. One thing United always used to have was mentally tough winners, well those days seem long gone.
Sadly, we have known that for practically this entire season. For some reason this season feels way worse than the Moyes debacle.

Esquire

Pathetic from start to finish, no chance of progressing now. Fully expect to be dumped out of the fa cup by West Ham and then just counting down the games until LVG is sacked.

If only the board had acted when they should have done.
We are not a sacking club. We do not like Jose that much. We love LVG and think he is a genius. We don't care because you sops will still pay to watch the team play. We still making money hand over fist. It's not like you people will actually stop going to games. You sad pathetic United fans. Love, Glazers and Ed Woodward.

ken11

Just got done watching the replay.

Was a snoozer. United was almost non-threatening apart from a missed Fellaini header and a tame long-range shot from Morgan S.

Liverpool just played with more energy and hustle.

Golden Nugget

Well that was horrible. I don't even know where to start. Were Liverpool good, or were we horrible? Did the United players know that they were playing their biggest rivals? Did they realize that it was the best chance of getting into The CL next season? Did the players even care? Does Van Gaal?

Losing 2-0 against Liverpool isn't the worst result in the world (even though it effectively knocks us out) - it's he way we played. Tactics were shit (I'll get to that later) but the United players were horrid. De Gea, Martial, Rashford and Varela (tho the latter 3 didn't have their best games) were the only ones that seemed like they were trying. A 2-0 defeat at Anfield due to questionable goals, where everyone fought hard and gave their best is acceptable - losing 2-0 when it should have been 5 and no one really bothering, is not.

Fellaini.., I want to like him, I really do... defensively, I really like him, dirty, strong and wins a lot of aerial battles - attacking wise he's horrid, slow, useless with ground balls, and doesn't always get in the box for crosses. Theres a limit to what he can do, but he can certainly do a lot better.

Having some deep thoughts about this - the players were crap, yes; dodgy goals, yes..., but at least they made the errors..., we didn't even attack so we weren't able to benefit from the whistle happy ref. They had Mignolet in goal and we didn't test him.

You think about the players that are missing - would they have made a difference? Maybe Shaw but otherwise No. The players sold - I don't think di Maria, rvp or Nani would have made a difference tonight - maybe welbeck with his work ethic, but he wouldn't have effected the score.... I don't think Ronald would have played well tonight with those tactics....

I felt he could have played it safe and left Rashford on the bench, push Mata wide and start with Schneiderlin, Herrera and Fellaini.... The gamble didn't pay off and there were no attacking subs to be made (what happened to Perreira!?)

Bad result; disgusting performance for the 2nd game running.

RedDevil@84

I didn't watch as it was a 4am start. Why did Fellaini play in such an important game for our season when he hasn't played for ages?
Coz LvG and Fellaini are friends. Normal players need to get fit, play an U21 match, then get 20 mins, 60 mins and then 90 mins. But Fellaini can start playing straightaway anytime.

Esquire

Well that was horrible. I don't even know where to start. Were Liverpool good, or were we horrible? Did the United players know that they were playing their biggest rivals? Did they realize that it was the best chance of getting into The CL next season? Did the players even care? Does Van Gaal?

Losing 2-0 against Liverpool isn't the worst result in the world (even though it effectively knocks us out) - it's he way we played. Tactics were shit (I'll get to that later) but the United players were horrid. De Gea, Martial, Rashford and Varela (tho the latter 3 didn't have their best games) were the only ones that seemed like they were trying. A 2-0 defeat at Anfield due to questionable goals, where everyone fought hard and gave their best is acceptable - losing 2-0 when it should have been 5 and no one really bothering, is not.

Fellaini.., I want to like him, I really do... defensively, I really like him, dirty, strong and wins a lot of aerial battles - attacking wise he's horrid, slow, useless with ground balls, and doesn't always get in the box for crosses. Theres a limit to what he can do, but he can certainly do a lot better.

Having some deep thoughts about this - the players were crap, yes; dodgy goals, yes..., but at least they made the errors..., we didn't even attack so we weren't able to benefit from the whistle happy ref. They had Mignolet in goal and we didn't test him.

You think about the players that are missing - would they have made a difference? Maybe Shaw but otherwise No. The players sold - I don't think di Maria, rvp or Nani would have made a difference tonight - maybe welbeck with his work ethic, but he wouldn't have effected the score.... I don't think Ronald would have played well tonight with those tactics....

I felt he could have played it safe and left Rashford on the bench, push Mata wide and start with Schneiderlin, Herrera and Fellaini.... The gamble didn't pay off and there were no attacking subs to be made (what happened to Perreira!?)

Bad result; disgusting performance for the 2nd game running.
Reading a few reports the consensus seems to be that Liverpool is not the finished article by any means by Klopp had his tactics spot on and LVG was just simply being his usual conservative cautious self (i.e., let's sneak an away goal and keeping it close for the return leg). So from the get go we were on the back foot. Worse their players all whooped ours in their respective individual battles and got after us. Our players simply wilted. Sound right?

RedDevil@84

Liverpool were bang average.
Still we managed to be below them in everything including the passion and 'horny'ness

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Why the hell does Fellaini play 90 mins in a key away game with zero "match rhythm" but i get the sense that Herrera gets a paper cut he would be out for a month due to no "match rhythm"

LVGS plan was to hoof it up to fellaini and not even bother playing any sort of football.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
Absolutely dreadful!!. I am surprised we only lost by a two goal margin. We were played off the park completely. They were sharper, incisive, hungrier, more decisive, better organized and looked better coached than us throughout the match. In all honesty we made Liverpool look like Barcelona in those CL finals. We looked no better than a £300mil old Stoke

Rednotdead

Woodward urgently needs to arrange a sponsorship deal with Imodium

That's the only way we're ever going to stem this never-ending torrent of shite while Van Gaal is still here.

Esquire

Positive result for one reason alone.

Us going out to Liverpool pretty much confirms no CL football next year, which seals the deal that LvG is out at the end of the season.
Don't be so sure mate. As long as Ed is running footballing side and has the ear of the Glazers there is a good chance LVG stays another year. There is simply no discernable coherence to how the club is being run.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
For the first time ever, i didn't care when i saw us losing, which is weird since it was against Liverpool.
LvG has ruined the club, and my love for football.
I don't understand what the board is doing, but i can only assume that they are talking about channging the club crest text to

Manchester United
Money club

Cause football doesn't seem to be a part of what the club care about anymore.

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 96% of 639 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 473 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw