PL D FA Premier League

Liverpool 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 17 October 2016

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Some must have seen a different game. We started well, but overall we played extremely defensive. It wasn’t even just a conservative 442, but closer to a 6211 with the wide players played almost as additional fullbacks and Herrera + Fellaini as DM. If that is not “parking the bus”, nothing ever is.

I think it was a reasonable approach, because Liverpool struggles to break down teams, that sit deep and defend in numbers. Still, if you tell 8 ½ of your players to first and foremost defend, you really need a bit of individual magic or luck to create anything. We came to get a draw and got it, which is okay.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The narrative from some seems to be that we've been playing the way we did at Liverpool in every game under Mou and now we will keep playing that way.

With that said, if we set up in the exact same way against Chelsea I will be disappointed.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
You'd think our goal was under siege for 90 minutes the way many people are talking of bus-parking. Nonsense. A professional performance in a fixture where Liverpool traditionally play their hearts out, in a very hostile ground; good result for us.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
:lol: Ever since the final whistle last night United fans have been dealing with every other fecker trying to belittle our performance. On this forum alone there are several threads full of it.

It's funny to me as it stems from the fact they where all hoping we would fall apart and get shown up by the so called mighty Klopp but that didn't materialise did it. Now scousers and oppo fans alike are all very bitter.

Most promising from our POV is United stayed strong and showed a collective determination, desire and togetherness that have been missing over the last 3-4 years or so. No one is going to have it easy against us anymore.:D

Jaap

Strange line up but it made sense & it worked out so pleased with that.
Up front, we didn't look too threatening though.

Pogba & Ibrahimović had a poor game.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
:lol: Ever since the final whistle last night United fans have been dealing with every other fecker trying to belittle our performance. On this forum alone there are several threads full of it.

It's funny to me as it stems from the fact they where all hoping we would fall apart and get shown up by the so called mighty Klopp but that didn't materialise did it. Now scousers and oppo fans alike are all very bitter.

Most promising from our POV is United stayed strong and showed a collective determination, desire and togetherness that have been missing over the last 3-4 years or so. No one is going to have it easy against us anymore.:D
There's too many Liverpool fans on here today. Shouldn't there be a quota?:p Jose thought this out and it worked perfectly, or would have been perfect if Ibra had scored.

Rafateria

In what part of my post expressed that United were afraid. You're getting afraid mixed up with caution. If you cant see at the fact Liverpool do look more unified and are in-form than United then you're deluded my friend. United are looking inconsistent, still trying to find the right system with the right players in the right positions and build that chemistry between the players. All due to the fact we have 4 new players (one of them that needs to be accommodated accordingly to get the best out of him) with a new manager and new coaching staff. That is a HUGE change!
Not sure that unified is the correct expression to be using when we also have 4 new 1st team faces, 2 of which have only been integrated in the past 3 games (Karius, Matip, Wijnaldum and Mane).

TheReligion

Abusive
You know your team has had the better result when all the opposition do is moan and whinge.

United showed everyone how to be comfortable with the counterpress. They also showed everyone that there's no need to be scared of the Liverpool hype machine.

Great team performance and refreshing to see the group is now able to execute a Mourinho plan. Such an improvement from the first half against City a few weeks back.

What people need to understand is United are still adapting to the new system with a set of players from 3 different maangers. It's not pretty but the signs of the squad settling are there..

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
There's too many Liverpool fans on here today. Shouldn't there be a quota?:p Jose thought this out and it worked perfectly, or would have been perfect if Ibra had scored.
Well whichever way we did it it would be wrong! If we lost people would be asking where we are, if we won we would be gloating so hopefully as it was a draw we are contributing to the debate!

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Great team performance and refreshing to see the group is now able to execute a Mourinho plan. Such an improvement from the first half against City a few weeks back.

What people need to understand is United are still adapting to the new system with a set of players from 3 different maangers. It's not pretty but the signs of the squad settling are there..
A genuine question, given United's history of attacking flair. When Chelsea played at OT under Mourinho and perhaps played with the same plans as last night, would you have imagined United ever adopting a similar approach?
That is in no way saying you were negative, I thought first half last night you played pretty well.

DomesticTadpole

TalkSport are feeeeeewmin :lol:
I heard the first sentence that Durham said and switched off. Micky Quinn was on the breakfast show and according to him Coutinho was MOTM not Herrera. I only listen to the Weekend Breakfast show now. I quite like Cascarino.

Robbo 7

Almost the perfect away performance, if only Zlatan had done better with the header.

There were some key individuals who stuck to their tactics and stopped Liverpool from playing. Special mention to Young, who many were questioning on twitter before the game.

We knew when we signed Jose that there would be days like these. Not pretty but tactically very interesting.

Robbo 7

I heard the first sentence that Durham said and switched off. Micky Quinn was on the breakfast show and according to him Coutinho was MOTM not Herrera. I only listen to the Weekend Breakfast show now. I quite like Cascarino.
Wow. I'm absolutely astonished by his biastry. Coutinho was nearly non existent in the first half

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
A genuine question, given United's history of attacking flair. When Chelsea played at OT and I assume maybe played similar would you have imagined United ever adopting a similar approach?
That is in no way saying you were negative, I thought first half last night you played pretty well.
We knew what we would get with Mourinho, away against one of the top 4 candidates in red-hot form and with ourselves out of form this was no surprise. Still the parking the bus stuff is wrong, check out the heatmaps and you'll see that the result was grinded out in midfield, not at the back four which the term parking the bus implies.

Mourinho was and is the only one right for us at the moment, we don't have time for a young and promising manager ironing out his flaws with us, we need an instant impact after Moyesgate and Phil O'Sophee has left us in a ruin.

After Mourinho I would like to see us go for someone progressive like Tuchel though.

Fully Fledged

In what part of my post expressed that United were afraid. You're getting afraid mixed up with caution. If you cant see at the fact Liverpool do look more unified and are in-form than United then you're deluded my friend. United are looking inconsistent, still trying to find the right system with the right players in the right positions and build that chemistry between the players. All due to the fact we have 4 new players (one of them that needs to be accommodated accordingly to get the best out of him) with a new manager and new coaching staff. That is a HUGE change!
That's my problem. Last season we were better than Liverpool could turn up give them a game and beat them at Anfield.
This season we are celebrating leaving the ground with a point while we sit 7th in the table. The only thing that's changed is we've brought in a new manager and spent a fortune on new players.

We're going backwards.

DomesticTadpole

Wow. I'm absolutely astonished by his biastry. Coutinho was nearly non existent in the first half
He's a scouser, but he is usually not too bad, but today there was steam coming out of his ears. :lol: Just giving me more reason to not listen to their shows. I used to have it on at least until dinnertime and then at teatime. I cannot be bothered with them anymore.

SkeppyRed

A genuine question, given United's history of attacking flair. When Chelsea played at OT under Mourinho and perhaps played with the same plans as last night, would you have imagined United ever adopting a similar approach?
It's completely irrelevant. Circumstances dictated how we needed to play yesterday. we've done it before under fergie and its all forgotten now as the end goal is far greater.

Anyway we get it. Your annoyed you weren't good enough to break us down. Get over it.

TheReligion

Abusive
A genuine question, given United's history of attacking flair. When Chelsea played at OT and I assume maybe played similar would you have imagined United ever adopting a similar approach?
I think alot is being made of this by frustrated Liverpool fans and I can understand why. United have played much worse at Anfield than last night and won. We were absolutely peppered when O'Shea bundled in our winner in front of the Kop under the watch of Sir Alex. We have had plenty of smash and grabs but what pleased me most was last night I didnt get that uncomfortable back to the wall hanging on feeling as we simply destroyed your attacks before they even got going. You played large parts of the game in your own half.

United haven't and wont play like this all season. It's useful for the team to be able to do it though moving forward and Fergie often did similar in certain games bringing Phil Neville and Darren Fletcher into the midfield.

As a United fan I appreciate the team is changing and accept this aspect of the game and Mourinho. Especially when we are still very much trying to find our feet under him.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
It's completely irrelevant. Circumstances dictated how we needed to play yesterday. we've done it before under fergie and its all forgotten now as the end goal is far greater.

Anyway we get it. Your annoyed you weren't good enough to break us down. Get over it.
Stop being such a twit.

I think alot is being made of this by frustrated Liverpool fans and I can understand why. United have played much worse at Anfield than last night and won. We were absolutely peppered when O'Shea bundled in our winner in front of the Kop under the watch of Sir Alex. We have had plenty of smash and grabs but what pleased me most was last night I didnt get that uncomfortable back to the wall hanging on feeling as we simply destroyed your attacks before they even got going. You played large parts of the game in your own half.

United haven't and wont play like this all season. It's useful for the team to be able to do it though moving forward and Fergie often did similar in certain games bringing Phil Neville and Darren Fletcher into the midfield.

As a United fan I appreciate the team is changing and accept this aspect of the game and Mourinho. Especially when we are still very much trying to find our feet under him.
Fair enough , and thanks for not being a twit.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
He's a scouser, but he is usually not too bad, but today there was steam coming out of his ears. :lol: Just giving me more reason to not listen to their shows. I used to have it on at least until dinnertime and then at teatime. I cannot be bothered with them anymore.
It's been great today, loved every minute. They aren't furious though, apparently.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
You know your team has had the better result when all the opposition do is moan and whinge.

United showed everyone how to be comfortable with the counterpress. They also showed everyone that there's no need to be scared of the Liverpool hype machine.

See this is what I struggle to understand. I won't dispute the fact that getting a point against us away from home when we're playing well is a good result.

I just don't understand how Mourinho is being hailed as a tactical genius because his team didn't lose. Considering the money you've spent I think you should be looking for a bit more ambition in a game that was there to be won. We were all over the place in the first half but United never did enough to make the most of it.

If you don't win at Chelsea next week I think you'll be a bit more disappointed with this result. You could have beaten us with a bit more ambition going forward.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
The tactic we used yesterday would be very effective if we had someone like Aguero or Suarez up front. I'm not surprised Ibra and Pogba look poor in this defensive setup (still disappointed with their performance).

DomesticTadpole

That's my problem. Last season we were better than Liverpool could turn up give them a game and beat them at Anfield.
This season we are celebrating leaving the ground with a point while we sit 7th in the table. The only thing that's changed is we've brought in a new manager and spent a fortune on new players.

We're going backwards.
Last season we could play for hours on end and not create a single chance. Most of the games this season it has been immensely different. The problem we have is not taking chances, not the creating of them. Last night if we had gone all out we would have been stuffed. Our strikers are not in good enough form yet and although the defence were great last night they needed two DM in front of them as extra protection as without that defence is not always trustworthy. He still has work to do and it will be interesting to see who he thinks has adapted to his methods and who hasn't. Was interesting that he was going to move Rashford to get the win, but as he was cramped put Wayne on to make sure we didn't lose. Doesn't say much for Wayne as an attacking force anymore.

FacerTheRed

We're going backwards.
Yeah and Liverpool were at the same stage United are in the now. With a new manager, new system and new players. Liverpool now got to grips with Klopps style of play and now gradually building on it. United will do the same, in what system i do not no but at this moment in time, the fact United are looking inconsistent, Jose did right the right thing to set up defensively. I hate United playing like this, I really do but I see what Jose is doing and he's looking at the bigger picture and getting those points.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Posted in the RAWK thread but probably belongs here.

Thats not the problem so much as the lack of depth in key areas, with Lallana and Gini out we lost there key attributes in the middle of the park and Can although a decent midfielder in his own right doesnt replace those, thats why Dahoud appears to be a key target for us, similar to Mane if we lost him we would have nobody to replace what he brings. Our MF was slow and pedestrian for the most part and Hendo looked poor without Adam and Gini to mask his defeciencies, I knew we would struggle to score unless we somehow got an early goal because unless we have our fully fit starting XI like we had against other teams that sat deep we will struggle to break them down.

Anyways from now till christmas we have a run of winnable games till the Merseyside derby, how we do in those will define this season, we've had a good start but it will mean nothing if we dont capitalise on this run of fixtures.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool

Thats not the problem so much as the lack of depth in key areas, with Lallana and Gini out we lost there key attributes in the middle of the park and Can although a decent midfielder in his own right doesnt replace those, thats why Dahoud appears to be a key target for us, similar to Mane if we lost him we would have nobody to replace what he brings. Our MF was slow and pedestrian for the most part and Hendo looked poor without Adam and Gini to mask his defeciencies, I knew we would struggle to score unless we somehow got an early goal because unless we have our fully fit starting XI like we had against other teams that sat deep we will struggle to break them down.

Anyways from now till christmas we have a run of winnable games till the Merseyside derby, how we do in those will define this season, we've had a good start but it will mean nothing if we dont capitalise on this run of fixtures.
Dahoud and a striker - not really sure on Sturridge at the moment, and Klopp hasn't really given Ings a look in either.

It's funny the RAWK thread has suddenly become more popular, because United drew 0-0.

Last edited:

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover

Dahoud has a ridiculously low release clause and is going to be WC according to some German posters, so good that they reckon Bayern will come in for him. IMO you won't get him.

I hope we give you a run for the money for him as well, altough having Brick Top and Harry Potter's lovechild as your manager might give you the edge there. No chance if Bayern come calling though, could also see Dortmund wanting him.

DomesticTadpole

Yeah and Liverpool were at the same stage United are in the now. With a new manager, new system and new players. Liverpool now got to grips with Klopps style of play and now gradually building on it. United will do the same, in what system i do not no but at this moment in time, the fact United are looking inconsistent, Jose did right the right thing to set up defensively. I hate United playing like this, I really do but I see what Jose is doing and he's looking at the bigger picture and getting those points.
There will be games where the tactics will work perfectly. I don't think we will play like that in most games. It will depend on which players are available to him and I am sure he will bring in more players to suit his system and weed out the players who are incapable of adapting.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Come on admit it pal, you weren't good enough to break us down though where you? Not enough guile or quality imho.:D
I agree we weren't good enough, we need different plans for different circumstances - you are maybe slightly less of a twit....

TheReligion

Abusive
See this is what I struggle to understand. I won't dispute the fact that getting a point against us away from home when we're playing well is a good result.

I just don't understand how Mourinho is being hailed as a tactical genius because his team didn't lose. Considering the money you've spent I think you should be looking for a bit more ambition in a game that was there to be won. We were all over the place in the first half but United never did enough to make the most of it.

If you don't win at Chelsea next week I think you'll be a bit more disappointed with this result. You could have beaten us with a bit more ambition going forward.
Mourinho has been at the club a few months. He's our third manager I'm as many years and has a squad of players inherited from Sir Alex, Moyes, LvG and now his own. The money spent doesn't really matter as he is trying to shape a squad into his own, much like Klopp has done although he's had much longer at it.

Mourinho got the better of Klopp tactically last night. That is obvious to anyone.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Mourinho has been at the club a few months. He's our third manager I'm as many years and has a squad of players inherited from Sir Alex, Moyes, LvG and now his own. The money spent doesn't really matter as he is trying to shape a squad into his own, much like Klopp has done although he's had much longer at it.

Mourinho got the better of Klopp tactically last night. That is obvious to anyone.
Well kinda, the problem Klopp has he needed to get rid of a lot of players he didn't want in the summer, 20 plus players sold or released. Mourinho didn't have that problem.
Next summer we might just be in a better position for a more stable window, this summer was just manic, and even though he has been our manager longer it was the first real opportunity to offload the excess baggage.

TheReligion

Abusive
You'd think our goal was under siege for 90 minutes the way many people are talking of bus-parking. Nonsense. A professional performance in a fixture where Liverpool traditionally play their hearts out, in a very hostile ground; good result for us.
I don't get this either. I felt pretty comfortable most of the game as the home team offered very very little. 65% possession and 2 chances made at home is really poor.

TheReligion

Abusive
Well kinda, the problem Klopp has he needed to get rid of a lot of crap in the summer, 20 plus players sold or released. Mourinho didn't have that problem.
Next summer we might just be in a better position for a more stable window, this summer was just manic, and even though he has been our manager longer it was the first real opportunity to offload the excess baggage.
He's had much longer to impose his style and bring in his kind of players than Jose.

We need some stability whilst we get settled and if that means the odd performance like last night when required so be it.

Do you have concerns about Klopp's lack of plan B?

Fully Fledged

Jose's system has never beaten Klopp over a tie.
Group stages of the CL
Dortmund 2-1 Real
Real 2-2 Dortmund
Semi Final
Dortmund 4-3 Real over 2 legs (I know the second leg was 2-0 to Real but the tie was already over)
Chelsea 1-3 Liverpool
Liverpool 0-0 United
He needs to look again to beat Klopp.

SkeppyRed

I agree we weren't good enough, we need different plans for different circumstances - you are maybe slightly less of a twit....
I know you didn't mean it..:wenger:. Seriously I know it can be frustrating to drop points against teams who play like we did yesterday, especially in this game and how things have been going in the weeks leading up to it, but it was necessary for us to play this way. We didn't get everything we wanted obviously but we got enough to be happy with considering the circumstances. I think it will be more open at Old Trafford. I hope so anyway.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
He's had much longer to impose his style and bring in his kind of players than Jose.

We need some stability whilst we get settled and if that means the odd performance like last night when required so be it.

Do you have concerns about Klopp's lack of plan B?
Style I understand but getting the kind of players I don't necessarily agree - January is notoriously difficult to get players in, so for me he has had 1 proper window. Mourinho has had less time obviously but had unlimited funds also.

I do have concerns yes, clearly we have to be better at breaking teams down - but we had that also to a degree with Rodgers and we aren't the first team to struggle against a well organised team.

redflair

I think the United players were shocked how easy it was in the first half.

They expected a whirlwind and got a whimper.

This meant they lacked edge going forward, mainly because of a highly defensive mindset.

Pogba and Zlatan can do little if their passing options are so limited.

All in all, a decent point but this was Jose's way of putting red tape over the mouths of the Liverpool-loving fraternity.

It felt more like a personal quest than a football match.

TheReligion

Abusive
Jose's system has never beaten Klopp over a tie.
Group stages of the CL
Dortmund 2-1 Real
Real 2-2 Dortmund
Semi Final
Dortmund 4-3 Real over 2 legs (I know the second leg was 2-0 to Real but the tie was already over)
Chelsea 1-3 Liverpool
Liverpool 0-0 United
He needs to look again to beat Klopp.
Irelevant

Man of the Match

Ander Herrera image Ander Herrera 65% of 746 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 565 ratings.