PL D FA Premier League

Liverpool 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 17 October 2016

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Because he is streets .. nay worlds ... ahead of you in his ability to analysis a match (as everyone on here knows).
And miss the simple points. Check the average positions of the players, Just because sometimes wingers dropped deep doesn't make it 6-3-1.

reelworld

I got the impression that he was being credited for a great tactical display, which is why I was confused. A great tactical display would have resulted in a victory, and United picking up a much needed win to close the gap on the sides at the top. I don't consider it an injustice that we didn't dominate the game and win comfortably though. That's on us for not being able to adjust to United's game plan enough to win the game. Can and Coutinho weren't anywhere near as forward thinking as Lallana and Wijnaldum normally are which is concerning. It looks like injuries in certain areas could damage our attacking flow.
Not really, context must be taken into account here. You were riding high, on great form, scoring goals for fun, we're not. This is very early in the season, Mourinho is still finding ways to make us more effective. You lot had last season to smooth out the kinks, it is no wonder you are a more coherent unit than us. We did what we used to do under Ferguson, keep it tight and try to nick a goal. We did the first part right, but didn't do the second. It happens. Maybe I want a more positive subs later in the game when clearly Rashford had gassed out, but I am not fussed that he didn't.
We tried a different approach against Liverpool, pressing from the front to caught you off guard. It worked, you can't play your game and wasn't a threat in the first half. The downside is that since we hardly played this way, our attack become disjointed, and we looked clueless in the final third
My thinking was that United had brought Mourinho and the likes of Ibrahimovic and Pogba in to compete for the league again and show that there is life after Ferguson. That's why I had you down to win it this season, but as of right now I don't think either of us look like winning the league which I'd say is more alarming for you than us. I don't think finishing fourth is what Mourinho had in mind when he came in. It's still early but do you think you'll compete for the title as things stand currently? If not do you consider top four good enough for this season?
I think we still have a chance, but it depends on how quick Mourinho can get us playing well. If we're only 4 points off the top come January, I'd say we still have a chance
There are United fans in here overrating their sides performance, and Liverpool fans doing the same thing. I think we can all agree that a draw was a fair result considering how the game went. I''m still not entirely convinced that it was a good result for United given that we were there to be beaten, especially early on. We'll have a clearer picture when the sides meet again in January. If you win next week it could be the lift needed to drive you forward.
Again, context. And you're underrating Liverpool there. You lot scored the most goal in the league under Klopp. Our defense has been really inconsistent and conceded some stupid goals this season. It's the other way around, you should beat us given our form and you were at home

Roosney

Neither team looked particularly impressive, partly because of the way both teams set up. Liverpool couldn't handle the high press at all and then was fairly clueless when trying to break down a deep line. On the bright side, they were very comfortable defensively and they did a good job not allowing United a lot of corners and dangerous free kicks, which most people expected to be big opportunities for United to score. United had a very good tactical plan and were solid defensively but were completely toothless in attack. Other than Pogba once beating his man with a moment of magic and sending in that excellent cross for Ibra, I don't think there was a single moment when I thought "Hey, that was some good stuff played there" by United. Part of the problem was that Liverpool played it fairly cautiously and didn't commit that many men forward. Nevertheless, you still have to generate some kind of threat.
You missed the first half it seems.

World Game

A stat I found interesting was that we had 35% possession to their 65% but they still outran us by 10km. Don't know whether thats a good sign because we were in control or a bad sign because we have fitness/workrate issues.

roonster09

Scout
A stat I found interesting was that we had 35% possession to their 65% but they still outran us by 10km. Don't know whether thats a good sign because we were in control or a bad sign because we have fitness/workrate issues.
Barcelona always dominate possession and also outrun their opponents. You have to have lot of movement to keep the possession but while playing defensively it's important to maintain the tactical shape of the team.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
You missed the first half it seems.
Before I get pelters, I thought United were very good for 30 minutes and then began to stand off more and more. But even in that period of control, United didn't play 'good stuff'. They didn't display real quality on the ball or string together a move of distinction. They didn't lay a glove on Liverpool in that period. What they did really well was to spoil Liverpool's rhythm. They pinned them back and shut down passing lanes. It was very well executed but it was a containing job not one of good, flowing football.

RedDevil@84

Before I get pelters, I thought United were very good for 30 minutes and then began to stand off more and more. But even in that period of control, United didn't play 'good stuff'. They didn't display real quality on the ball or string together a move of distinction. They didn't lay a glove on Liverpool in that period. What they did really well was to spoil Liverpool's rhythm. They pinned them back and shut down passing lanes. It was very well executed but it was a containing job not one of good, flowing football.
I don't think anyone disagrees that our setup and gameplan was more on containing Pool and breaking their rhythm than scoring loads of goals.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah 4th, my mistake - I don't think you can call it bad luck, your attack was pretty feeble.
Indeed, I was just joining a discussion about whether United played good stuff, which @Roosney suggested was evident in the first half. I don't think that was true, in the purest sense.

Rafateria

And miss the simple points. Check the average positions of the players, Just because sometimes wingers dropped deep doesn't make it 6-3-1.
Average positions of players takes into account the first 20 mins and the occasional foray forward thereafter. It doesn't give anywhere near the whole story.

prath92

Not at all. We had you guys defending and you guys conceded some FKs in dangerous situations in the first half. I remember the commentator saying that Liverpool are actually having to defend more than attack. In the first half I don't think you had one attack other than that header at DDG. i don't think mane did anything with the ball.

Second half yes it was a case of us defending vs you attacking but even then you guys barely did anything to pin us down. That Valencia tackle and Can chance aside, we barely had to do much defensively any more than we did against other teams. You guys still had got behind our defence a couple of times but we won the ball back easily.

All in all it was a very tactical game. In that we identified your tactics, countered it and you guys had no answers. If this was atletico and simeone had done this, there would have been cries of him being the best manager ever.

prath92

Average positions of players takes into account the first 20 mins and the occasional foray forward thereafter. It doesn't give anywhere near the whole story.
Yeah let's instead go base it on one screenshot where they all stand in a line.

roonster09

Scout
It says the average position of each player in the game. It gives much better context than using 1 image or MNF who use video that fits their narration.

Rafateria

What this thread has shown is that United fans were highly dubious of how their team would perform at Anfield and so look at a point as a major success. And that Liverpool fans were hopeful of winning so are mildly disappointed since we had the best of the game and looked the more likely to win (and, before that statement descends into acrimony again, if I said team X had 65% possession and it took two world class saves to keep them out, whilst team Y didn't make the opposition keeper make a (real) save, then I think most would agree).

However a point against United is never a bad point because form really does go out of the window in these high tension, highly anticipated, matches (Sky's most watched match for 3 years) so everyone is still happy this morning. United that they didn't lose ground, Liverpool because we are still just 2 points off the top and looking strong for a good run at Top 4.

To be just 2 points off the top after 8 games (only 3 of which were at home) including :
Spurs A
Arsenal A
Chelsea A
United H
Leicester H
Is fecking brilliant.

TheReligion

Abusive
What this thread has shown is that United fans were highly dubious of how their team would perform at Anfield and so look at a point as a major success. And that Liverpool fans were hopeful of winning so are mildly disappointed since we had the best of the game and looked the more likely to win (and, before that statement descends into acrimony again, if I said team X had 65% possession and it took two world class saves to keep them out, whilst team Y didn't make the opposition keeper make a (real) save, then I think most would agree).

However a point against United is never a bad point because form really does go out of the window in these high tension, highly anticipated, matches (Sky's most watched match for 3 years) so everyone is still happy this morning. United that they didn't lose ground, Liverpool because we are still just 2 points off the top and looking strong for a good run at Top 4.

To be just 2 points off the top after 8 games (only 3 of which were at home) including :
Spurs A
Arsenal A
Chelsea A
United H
Leicester H
Is fecking brilliant.
The fact you're having to explain why you looked more likely to win speaks volumes.

It's a better point for United than it is Liverpool. Deal with it. No one has said it's a 'major success' other than you. The face on Klopp and his post match discussion said it all.

Rafateria

The fact you're having to explain why you looked more likely to win speaks volumes.

It's a better point for United than it is Liverpool. Deal with it. No one has said it's a 'major success' other than you. The face on Klopp and his post match discussion said it all.
I have to explain it simply because posters like you will be up in arms. So no, it doesn't say it all.

Yes, it was a better point for United as you say - which says a lot. Yes Klopp was disappointed we didn't win - which also says a lot.

roonster09

Scout
I have to explain it simply because posters like you will be up in arms. So no, it doesn't say it all.

Yes, it was a better point for United as you say - which says a lot. Yes Klopp was disappointed we didn't win - which also says a lot.
Obvious. One team is in good form and playing at home. I would have been idiotic if Klopp was happy with a point at home.

TheReligion

Abusive

I'm not up in arms I just find the constant wimpering from Liverpool fans amusing. I get you're all really disappointed that your team failed to deliver after all the hype but that's not United's fault. As Jose said 'not our problem'.

United were expected to be brushed aside by Klopp's Redmen when infact I don't think I've seen United look as comfortable at Anfield in years. Rather than throwing your toys out of the pram you'd be better discussing what Klopp's plan B should be as to be honest he doesn't look like he has one which I'd suggest is rather worrying on your part.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I'm not up in arms I just find the constant wimpering from Liverpool fans amusing. I get you're all really disappointed that your team failed to deliver after all the hype but that's not United's fault. As Jose said 'not our problem'.
Posting on a rival forum often means putting a different perspective of things that's all.

There is disappointment at not winning, but it's not the end of the world , we didn't lose and several United fans on here have been coming across as a bit elated over the result.
Given a lot of people call our players shite and average , a few comments therefore appear a bit odd.

The majority of Liverpool fans on here are just putting across their opinion that's all, none of us came across as confident of an easy victory as it's never easy against United.

We drew and we both move onto the next game.

Zoo

Of the top 6 posters in this thread 4 are Liverpool fans.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Of the top 6 posters in this thread 4 are Liverpool fans.
So what, it's a thread that is about Liverpool. LFC fans on here are more likely to post on topics related to the club we support, if you check the stats on the RAWK thread you would probably find hardly any of us post in there because mainly we stay away.

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
Posting on a rival forum often means putting a different perspective of things that's all.

There is disappointment at not winning, but it's not the end of the world , we didn't lose and several United fans on here have been coming across as a bit elated over the result.
Given a lot of people call our players shite and average , a few comments therefore appear a bit odd.

The majority of Liverpool fans on here are just putting across their opinion that's all, none of us came across as confident of an easy victory as it's never easy against United.
I've seen very little different perspective put across just lots of moaning and little acceptence of your own shortcomings.

togg

So what, it's a thread that is about Liverpool. LFC fans on here are more likely to post on topics related to the club we support, if you check the stats one the RAWK thread you would probably find hardly any of us post in there because mainly we stay away.
well personally I welcome you guys. Football is about rivalry, banter, micky taking etc....plus of course divided opinions etc. Without supporters from other clubs on here it would become rather dull!!

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I've seen very little different perspective put across just lots of moaning and little acceptence of your own shortcomings.
Well depends on your point of view - most of us have admitted we didn't play well.

well personally I welcome you guys. Football is about rivalry, banter, micky taking etc....plus of course divided opinions etc. Without supporters from other clubs on here it would become rather dull!!
Indeed!

Guess I have just increased the LFC stats in the thread by replying though - oh well!

Zoo

So what, it's a thread that is about Liverpool. LFC fans on here are more likely to post on topics related to the club we support, if you check the stats one the RAWK thread you would probably find hardly any of us post in there because mainly we stay away.
I know but since the game there has generally been too much focus on us when really LFC fans should be looking at their own teams shortcomings.

podurban2

I know but since the game there has generally been too much focus on us when really LFC fans should be looking at their own teams shortcomings.
This is very true though, regardless of what you think of Jose's tactics.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
We could all go back and forth analysing this game but it's done now. Mourinho did a very good job of keeping us quiet and will be delighted with the point, whilst Klopp will be disappointed overall considering the form we've been in.

We'll see where we are both at when we meet at Old Trafford in January. There's a lot of games between now and then so maybe the league will look very different.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
We are well aware of our own shortcomings, I would guess a very high percentage of our posts is like this one, replying to United fans.

We didn't play well and will have to settle for a point, clearly we have to look at why and I am sure Klopp is. Losing Wijanldum and Lallana not being fit to start was a loss, though not an excuse. United were well organised and limited our attacking options, our midfield lacked fluidity and we didn't really start to play until Lallana finally came on.
Despite a lot of people on here not rating our players, though to be fair to counter that a lot have been saying we have been playing well as a team, it's still considered a very good result for United - which shows how far we have come and hopefully signs of future improvement and development under Klopp.

TheReligion

Abusive
We could all go back and forth analysing this game but it's done now. Mourinho did a very good job of keeping us quiet and will be delighted with the point, whilst Klopp will be disappointed overall considering the form we've been in.

We'll see where we are both at when we meet at Old Trafford in January. There's a lot of games between now and then so maybe the league will look very different.
I don't think he's 'delighted' but as said given the context it's a better point for United than it is Liverpool.

At Old Trafford I'll expect to beat you and anything less will be considered a better result for Liverpool.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think Can and Coutinho making up the midfield three with Henderson didn't work. Wijnaldum and Lallana are much more forward thinking in those roles and whilst United were very organised, you could see that Lallana made a difference in the second half. We at least had the ball higher up the pitch.

I think injuries might hurt us at times this season but hopefully they're few and far between considering we don't have European football.

TheReligion

Abusive
We are well aware of our own shortcomings, I would guess a very high percentage of our posts is like this one, replying to United fans.

We didn't play well and will have to settle for a point, clearly we have to look at why and I am sure Klopp is. Losing Wijanldum and Lallana not being fit to start was a loss, though not an excuse. United were well organised and limited our attacking options, our midfield lacked fluidity and we didn't really start to play until Lallana finally came on.
Despite a lot of people on here not rating our players, though to be fair to counter that a lot have been saying we have been playing well as a team, it's still considered a very good result for United - which shows how far we have come and hopefully signs of future improvement and development under Klopp.
You guys are getting ahead of yourselves now.

No one has said it's a 'very good point' or that we're 'delighted' with a point. It's simply a better result for United than it is Liverpool at this moment in time. Especially given how comfortable United were during the game.

ZAGREB RED

It's the same fans/journos who were expecting a hammering that are now seemingly pissed off that we stopped them scoring. You'd think United lost if you looked at some of the articles posted today.
Exactly, it's as if United had no right to go there and disrupt Liverpool's "beautiful game", if Liverpool really are that good why did they struggle to create any real chances. United played them partly at their own game in a way, with the pressing all over the pitch, but did it better. Liverpool couldn't cope with it for the most part.

Rafateria

United were expected to be brushed aside by Klopp's Redmen when in fact I don't think I've seen United look as comfortable at Anfield in years. Rather than throwing your toys out of the pram you'd be better discussing what Klopp's plan B should be as to be honest he doesn't look like he has one which I'd suggest is rather worrying on your part.
Well you've clearly exaggerated on all counts there, but whatever.

People often mention Plan B - but rarely do have teams have a Plan B, other than throwing a big guy up top as a desperate measure, or going ultra defensive with 10 men behind the ball. Other than that does City have a Plan B ? Or United ? Or Arsenal, Spurs and so on ? No, not really. There are minor tactical decisions, player changes in game or occasionally man-marking a specific player, but rarely do coaches deviate majorly from what works for them, they don't change their whole style of play (maybe Conte going with 3 at the back, but that's because of what previously wasn't working). Plan B per se is a myth perpetuated by fans.

Sad Chris

All in all it was a very tactical game. In that we identified your tactics, countered it and you guys had no answers. If this was atletico and simeone had done this, there would have been cries of him being the best manager ever.
Exactly this. Klopp love and Mourinho hate just blind peoples view of the tactical awareness we are already implementing. We still have a way to go, but my take of the game is that we can adapt depending on our opponent and Klopp's Liverpool can't.

Rafateria

Exactly, it's as if United had no right to go there and disrupt Liverpool's "beautiful game", if Liverpool really are that good why did they struggle to create any real chances. United played them partly at their own game in a way, with the pressing all over the pitch, but did it better. Liverpool couldn't cope with it for the most part.
Oy vey. You clearly can't differentiate between pressing (which United could only manage for 20 mins) and closing down / blocking passing routes (which United did for the following 70 mins).

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
That's a little bit misleading as team Y had - by far - the best and only clear-cut chance of the entire game.

Rafateria

That's because you can't accept the different perspective, not that it's whining. I see disappoint amongst Liverpool supporters (as United fans would be if you failed to win at home) but also respect (even if we don't like them, or him) for Mourinho's tactical nouse.

Rafateria

That's a little bit misleading as team Y had - by far - the best and only clear-cut chance of the entire game.
Even that is debatable, he was leaning backwards and just beyond the far post - even if he was clear of the defence (WTF were they up to). It would have had to have been an incredible header over the keeper into his top left to score, or awful goalkeeping to let it in anywhere else. Far from an easy chance so I think the stick given to Ibra, in some quarters, for failing to convert that is a bit OTT.

Man of the Match

Ander Herrera image Ander Herrera 65% of 746 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 565 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw