PL L FA Premier League

Liverpool 3:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 16 December 2018

redmanx

I was for a long time in the Mou needs a chance brigade but it's so toxic now. The players are unsure of themselves and have lost their heads and the manager isn't helping.

The whole situation reminds me of Denethor the steward of Gondor in lord of the rings just moping about telling everyone to flee as soon as the orcs turn up.
Yes, but wheres our Gandalf?

redmanx

I was already numbed by the Smalling contract announcement so can't say I feel anything about this defeat. Way to ruin my fecking weekend!
Smalling, like the vast majority of our squad, simply isn't good enough and rather than get a new contract he should be sold on. I agree 100% with Roy Keane when, after the Liverpool game, he said we have good players but theyre not good enough to be Manchester United players. I think those who played against Liverpool, with the exception of De Gea, are only good enough to be squad players, at best. The Club needs a total transfusion of new blood, new ideas and new impetus, starting at the top with Woodward and down through Mourinho to the squad. Under the current regime and direction we are simply not good enough and don't look likely to be. Manchester United have no divine right to be successful but at the very least they have to be competitive, mid table is not good enough.

sugar_kane

They were (and are) the better team but the media would have you believe they tore us apart for 90 minutes and deserved to win about 6-0.

While recording lots of shots loads of these were from corners or wild efforts from outside the box. Both of Shaqiri’s goals were flukey efforts and De Gea didn’t really have a difficult save to make all night.

It was only really after their second goal when we started to fall apart as our morale had clearly been sapped at that point.

I’m sick of Mourinho and I’m sick of the dead wood and last night I was raging but the game was a lot tighter than you’d think than if you were only going off the press reaction and game stats.

Still, way below what we should be aiming for.

Matic and Darmian were awful yesterday, both constantly inviting attacking pressure and making everyone’s lives difficult. Fellaini was also shite when he came on, and surprisingly lazy.

The rest of them played with a bit of spirit, although in Herrera’s case too much - he needs to fecking calm down and engage his brain in big games. Just constantly giving away the ball when a counter looked to be on, or diving in for tackles and taking himself out of the game.

redmanx

They were (and are) the better team but the media would have you believe they tore us apart for 90 minutes and deserved to win about 6-0.

While recording lots of shots loads of these were from corners or wild efforts from outside the box. Both of Shaqiri’s goals were flukey efforts and De Gea didn’t really have a difficult save to make all night.

It was only really after their second goal when we started to fall apart as our morale had clearly been sapped at that point.

I’m sick of Mourinho and I’m sick of the dead wood and last night I was raging but the game was a lot tighter than you’d think than if you were only going off the press reaction and game stats.

Still, way below what we should be aiming for.

Matic and Darmian were awful yesterday, both constantly inviting attacking pressure and making everyone’s lives difficult. Fellaini was also shite when he came on, and surprisingly lazy.

The rest of them played with a bit of spirit, although in Herrera’s case too much - he needs to fecking calm down and engage his brain in big games. Just constantly giving away the ball when a counter looked to be on, or diving in for tackles and taking himself out of the game.
Yes, Shaqiris goals were flukes, but they came about from the way Liverpool attacked us. In football you make your own luck, 36 shots on goal is deserving of some luck, don't you think? If we had had 36 shots on goal, we would have deserved some luck too.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
This stupid man just hasn't grasped that if you keep telling players they are not very good, then they will believe you. They needed to be told they are good players. That will be what the other top managers are doing. He is in one giant sulk and hang the consequences for the team.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Yes, Shaqiris goals were flukes, but they came about from the way Liverpool attacked us. In football you make your own luck, 36 shots on goal is deserving of some luck, don't you think? If we had had 36 shots on goal, we would have deserved some luck too.
Anyone who watches PL football would know that Shaqiri has being going all-out to make an impact at Liverpool, busting a gut in order to secure a fully-regular first team place; so why didn't our manager prepare for him?

DomesticTadpole

Anyone who watches PL football would know that Shaqiri has being going all-out to make an impact at Liverpool, busting a gut in order to secure a fully-regular first team place; so why didn't our manager prepare for him?
Preparation? What's that?

red4ever 79

Looking at it the day after with some reflection, you still come to the same conclusion. We are simply awful. Average players, poor coaching, tactically inept. We were lucky it wasnt 5-6 yesterday. Here is a question, what other big club in the world and I am talking the big clubs like Juve, Bayern, Madrid, Barca, what other big club would allow a manager to still be in his job when having the worst ever start to a season, a goal difference of 0 and to be 6th in December. We are a disgrace top to bottom

BigRon1985

Bearing in mind Arsenal dropped 3 points this was an ideal opportunity to try and claw back the gap between us and Top 4. I thought we might get a hit and run 1-0 or a draw at the very least but not to be completely dominated and be lucky not to get a 6-1 spanking. I can accept a defeat putting in a committed performance but not this total surrender to our biggest traditional rivals - Woodward needs to pull the trigger sooner rather than later before I begin to lose the will to live! :annoyed:

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Robbie Earle is right, but the top 5 is boring anyway. 6th to 13th is seriously heating up, only 5 points separating us from Brighton. 6th to 13th is the best league in the world.

Still in 6th, pressure is off from our big rival Bournemouth as they drop down the table. But we've found a new enemy in Wolves, and we've already seen that they can match us on the day.

Bournemouth at home on the 30th will be the biggest 6 pointer of our season.
Awesome!

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers
Sanchez should be ahead of Mata most games. Mata should be a solid bench player. You can't criticise Mata cos he tries his fking hardest every game. Always looks motivated.

DomesticTadpole

Does that change the fact that the players in the squad aren’t good enough? I wasn’t placing blame, just making a point about our quality.
It means I would not trust him buying any more players. A couple of bad performances and he chucks them on the scrapheap.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
What world are you living in? The problem is not our defence. Not the main problem anyway. There is ZERO sign that we have are working towards a proper footballing philosophy and are signing players to fit that vision. We look like a pack of strangers on the field every game, our tactics except for hoofball are non existent, and this is his THIRD season. He needs to be fired, Ed needs to be removed as far as possible from footballing matters. Oh and new owners would be nice too.
I'd say the signing of Fred as a ball-playing midfielder - remember Mourinho is the man who brought Modric to Real Madrid - and also looking specifically for a ball-playing central defender in the summer is a sign that he is looking to be more expansive, the issue is that he's always been someone who in his own words needs to "build from the back" and "when the team is defensively stronger, the horizons for Fred change completely."

I don't argue that he should probably go in the summer, but he should also given a fair crack of the whip until then and that means being able to buy a world class centre back - at the minimum - in January so that we can see if he puts his money where his mouth is.

Ultimately if you take a step back and look at things from a more rational and less redcafe perspective, we came 2nd in the Premier League last season beating Tottenham/Liverpool/Chelsea/Arsenal/Manchester City along the way and got to the FA Cup final. We all knew before the transfer window opened that we needed some top full backs, a centre back or two, a central midfielder, a right-winger, maybe even a striker to kick on, but Woodward decided Mourinho hadn't done enough in the previous season to warrant any more backing and refused to purchase some of the most pressing positions. Mourinho took it, wholly predictably, badly, and now we're in the position we're in. When you think about it it's bad management from Woodward.

But then who knows what will happen if Mourinho gets a little backing in January. Add Koulibaly into our team, maybe we can even nick Perisic at a super cheap price... knockout rounds of the Champions League, four wins away from the Premier League top four...

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I'd say the signing of Fred as a ball-playing midfielder - remember Mourinho is the man who brought Modric to Real Madrid - and also looking specifically for a ball-playing central defender in the summer is a sign that he is looking to be more expansive, the issue is that he's always been someone who in his own words needs to "build from the back" and "when the team is defensively stronger, the horizons for Fred change completely."

I don't argue that he should probably go in the summer, but he should also given a fair crack of the whip until then and that means being able to buy a world class centre back - at the minimum - in January so that we can see if he puts his money where his mouth is.

Ultimately if you take a step back and look at things from a more rational and less redcafe perspective, we came 2nd in the Premier League last season beating Tottenham/Liverpool/Chelsea/Arsenal/Manchester City along the way and got to the FA Cup final. We all knew before the transfer window opened that we needed some top full backs, a centre back or two, a central midfielder, a right-winger, maybe even a striker to kick on, but Woodward decided Mourinho hadn't done enough in the previous season to warrant any more backing and refused to purchase some of the most pressing positions. Mourinho took it, wholly predictably, badly, and now we're in the position we're in. When you think about it it's bad management from Woodward.

But then who knows what will happen if Mourinho gets a little backing in January. Add Koulibaly into our team, maybe we can even nick Perisic at a super cheap price... knockout rounds of the Champions League, four wins away from the Premier League top four...
I quite agree with your points about last season and the additions to the squad that were so obvious. We have not yet seen enough of Fred to make an informed judgement.

Jose still seems to focus on the defence and has been hit by a series of injuries so no stable partnership.

But I am still unhappy with our midfield.
We cannot retain possesion and we don't create anything like enough opportunities.

Yes I know people will say what about Pogba. Assuming Jose stays I would hope that he and Pogba have sorted out the obvious differences of opinions. However, I still feel his limitations of wanting time on the ball are exposed by the pace of the PL.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Even better, why didn't we consider buying him? We need more quick, skillful players who know how to score. Heck, he would be a starter on the left for us.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira

Mourinho may have brought Modric to Real, but Modric wasn't a firm first choice player until Mou left Real. I remember that this always puzzled many pundits and fans. There was something that Mou didn't like about Modric. This tells me Mou only likes workhorse-type midfielder over slick-passing midfielders.

singhters

At HT we were lucky to be in 1-1 why did he not think to himself we winged that one and put on martial and pogba.

Instead he decided to bring on fellaini and play for the point.

Lose to cardiff and i think surely he gets the boot.

Foxbatt

Even better, why didn't we consider buying him? We need more quick, skillful players who know how to score. Heck, he would be a starter on the left for us.
And Mahrez. We should bought at least one of them.

onemanarmy

At HT we were lucky to be in 1-1 why did he not think to himself we winged that one and put on martial and pogba.

Instead he decided to bring on fellaini and play for the point.

Lose to cardiff and i think surely he gets the boot.
We will win the next 2 games which will give him enough credit to last till the summer at least.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I was concerned when Martial came on. I thought we'd see him running at a tiring Clyne & Lovren but it never really happened.

Leaving Pogba, Mata & Martial on the bench played into our hands.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I was concerned when Martial came on. I thought we'd see him running at a tiring Clyne & Lovren but it never really happened.

Leaving Pogba, Mata & Martial on the bench played into our hands.
you only wanted Pogba on so he could gift you another two opportunities. You can take him off our hands if you want: a Mars bar and a ticket to the U-11 team should do it

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Looking at it the day after with some reflection, you still come to the same conclusion. We are simply awful. Average players, poor coaching, tactically inept. We were lucky it wasnt 5-6 yesterday. Here is a question, what other big club in the world and I am talking the big clubs like Juve, Bayern, Madrid, Barca, what other big club would allow a manager to still be in his job when having the worst ever start to a season, a goal difference of 0 and to be 6th in December. We are a disgrace top to bottom
well... there was this club called Manchester United and some bloke called Alex Ferguson

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
you only wanted Pogba on so he could gift you another two opportunities. You can take him off our hands if you want: a Mars bar and a ticket to the U-11 team should do it
You needed someone to carry the ball in midfield. Fellaini, Matic & Herrera can't do that. Mata or Pogba would've helped with that (assuming Pogba actually turned up).

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
You needed someone to carry the ball in midfield. Fellaini, Matic & Herrera can't do that. Mata or Pogba would've helped with that (assuming Pogba actually turned up).
pogba hasn't turned up all season and let's hope he follows Jose out the door

M16Red

This stupid man just hasn't grasped that if you keep telling players they are not very good, then they will believe you. They needed to be told they are good players. That will be what the other top managers are doing. He is in one giant sulk and hang the consequences for the team.
:devil:

Player Ratings

4.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 332 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 19% Liverpool 3:0 Man Utd