PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sun, 24 February 2019

RedRotorhead

Lingard came in cause Ole doesn't play to draw or lose, he's all in to win it. Unlike the pathetic one.

And we all know what is more fun for both us and the team.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Didn't call him naive mate, just pointed out that that was my only complaint for the whole game. Obviously Ole can't see into the future, he took a gamble and it didn't pan out. That's how management works.
Didn't say you did. Just pointing out what many dismiss as a mistake wasn't naive in the slightest but a calculated risk borne in a positive attitude when everyone was crapping pants and fearing a mauling. Kudos to him for that.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
It was a gamble that didn't work out.
Still happy with Ole

And can not imagine our approach today under Jose with the players missing before, and injured in the first half.
I'm just saying it's not down to the player. It's down to the manager. He knew he wasn't full fit yet still brought him on.

Lucky Buttons

Well it’s also down to the player. If Lingard says he can play then Solskjaer isn’t going to say no. If anything Lingard should have said his hamstring was tight before the team selection went out so he must have felt he could play.
One would also imagine the medical staff having a say here. He wouldn't have made the bench if he wasn't fit to contribute at some level. Difficult decision to make, maybe a gamble, but calling it a huge mistake is stretching it imo.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Didn't say you did. Just pointing out what many dismiss as a mistake wasn't naive in the slightest but a calculated risk borne in a positive attitude when everyone was crapping pants and fearing a mauling. Kudos to him for that.
Exactly, a pal said it was naïve for both the Lingard sub and putting Rashford up top with Lukaku going out wide.

Instead, I'd see it that medically they'd obviously got the go ahead Lingard could be risked, and it was unexpected to do it so early due to other injuries.
You can't have a half crocked Rashford out wide, as full backs are such a threat. Having to match Robertson as well as get forward might have aggravated him to a point of having to come off.

What we did wasn't pretty but did enough. I can't imagine we'll see a game like that again for a long time.

Jacob

Out lack of depth is terrifying.

Ideally, we need an RB, LB, CB, CDM, CM, RW, ST

SoCross

Apologies for the presumption!

(.) (.)

Hope that makes up for it :D

Jeffthered

Vidic made a good point (apologies if this has been previously posted...), stating that they need to make a decision soon on the manager, because we have to make some changes to the squad if we are going to mount a challenge next season.

Today highlighted this. Great to see that effort again. But we need to change things up a fair bit in the summer. Some big names will need to move, and some will need to join. Simple. We need it.

Trizy

One of the worst games I've ever watched. Both teams were shite but only one had an excuse of not having half the starting XI.

I would have taken a draw as soon as Herrera went off. I'm meh about the result, was it a happy draw or points dropped considering how poor Liverpool were?

With our strongest XI we win that game every day.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Atmosphere sounded terrific on telly. Best in a while?
That's Schmeichel said as well. He mentioned the injuries being a factor in galvanising the crowd, which pleases me. It would been easy for the fans and the players to feel sorry for themselves. I know I did have that feeling within me.

Gasolin

One of the worst games I've ever watched. Both teams were shite but only one had an excuse of not having half the starting XI.

I would have taken a draw as soon as Herrera went off. I'm meh about the result, was it a happy draw or points dropped considering how poor Liverpool were?

With our strongest XI we win that game every day.
It speaks volume they were forced to play long, it just means that United was a top team on the pitch and didn't make any defensive mistake. And in reality, we did make mistake but that just shows how over rated that Liverpool team is. Nothing meh about the results.

Farfetched

Positives
The atmosphere; it was rocking, brilliant.
Overcoming the setbacks of the injuries; not only the fact of losing key players but also the timings of the injuries.
Nullifying their attack, no shots on target in the second half, title winning material, your having a laugh!
Negatives
Henderson et al, having the freedom to foul at will with no impediment to them.
Young’s uncanny ability to find a Liverpool player with a pass.
Passing Lingard as fit enough to play in a derby match.
Arsenal leap frogging us in the league

Red For Ever

I'm just saying it's not down to the player. It's down to the manager. He knew he wasn't full fit yet still brought him on.
Sure I agree, gambles are just that, sometimes they work and you are a genius, sometimes they fail, and you get some stick.
He made a gamble with the information he was given, it did not work out.

You cant help wondering how he views people like Sanchez, Fred etc if he felt the gamble of bringing him on was worthwhile instead of bringing one of them on

Steerpike

Given the disruption caused by the injuries, that has to be regarded as a decent point.

We played most of the game with a midfield of Pogba, Perreira and McTominay, and a forward line of Rashford (not fully fit), Lukaku and Sanchez, and still looked just as likely to win it as Liverpool. The attitude shown by the players was excellent.

The standout players for me were Shaw and Smalling.

Steerpike

Was so impressed with us today. So many injured players, the plan must have gone out of the window. Players kept their defense in check and also created chances. I'm proud of this team. Gave absolutely everything!!
Yes, a really good attitude shown by them all. They are so obviously playing for this manager.

Dante

Average bang
The Lingard for Mata substitution was not only about the injury. It was also tactical to counter Fabinho's early influence on the midfield. The manager was trying to solve two problems at the same time.

I can understand the criticism of Ole, but I thought it was a gamble worth taking.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
He would have been hailed had Lingard scored from that chance. Hindsight makes for great pundits.

Pennywise

We can catch liverpool up in terms of first 11 and squad this summer. Onwards and upwards

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Honestly gutted to draw that match. Thought we were by far the better team
We were a bit better, but we barely created a chance, so can't be too disappointed.
The Lukaku ball through to Lingard was a great chance, and a few chipped in offside set pieces.

Not a great deal more.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
He would have been hailed had Lingard scored from that chance. Hindsight makes for great pundits.
Rightfully so. Like I said earlier, doesn't erase the great job he's done, but it's silly blaming the players when the manager knew he wasn't fully fit.

micmac

This game was really good given the circumstances. Pereira had a fun game and Shaw gave a MOTM performance. The team showed alot of heart.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I’m still really irritated at how bad we were. Certainly didn’t look like a side capable of winning a title.

antohan

The Lingard for Mata substitution was not only about the injury. It was also tactical to counter Fabinho's early influence on the midfield. The manager was trying to solve two problems at the same time.

I can understand the criticism of Ole, but I thought it was a gamble worth taking.
Agree, but Alexis technically could do that. I think ultimately what it boiled down to was that in a derby, with everything going tits up, you trust Lingard to display the right attitude while with Sanchez you just don't know. He is not lazy, but you just wouldn't know if he would bring the right mentality with him in that context.

antohan

Out lack of depth is terrifying.

Ideally, we need an RB, LB, CB, CDM, CM, RW, ST
I'm increasingly of the idea that we need a Martial backup more than some of those. The entire frontline is affected every time he is out.

Dante

Average bang
Agree, but Alexis technically could do that. I think ultimately what it boiled down to was that in a derby, with everything going tits up, you trust Lingard to display the right attitude while with Sanchez you just don't know. He is not lazy, but you just wouldn't know if he would bring the right mentality with him in that context.
Sanchez fits into this team like an overweight youth product.

No chemistry with his teammates, and none of the youthful sharpness to make up for it.

cian68

Thousands?

Heard nothing at the game.
That's good. Like I said I wasn't even at the game and I'm not trying to stir stuff up but I did hear the chant on TV and just wanted to say it was disappointing

Flytan

Whoever made the decision that Lingard was fit enough to play needs to be more careful. Thought it was a mistake bringing him on over Alexis anyways but the re-injury just confirmed it.

Shaw and Lindelof were great. Young gave the ball away way too many times and was constantly out of position. Glad we were able draw after the injury catastrophe

Houdini

McTominay was always too late, too weak, using hands in the box too much. Not good enough, but he is still young. We need another replacement for Matic. Fred and
McTominay are not gonna make it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I’m still really irritated at how bad we were. Certainly didn’t look like a side capable of winning a title.
While you'd normally take a draw, that must have felt dreadful watching us already depleted, then go down with injury after injury.
With Salah looking like the Mourinho version, and Hendo having a bit of a hissy when he was subbed.

1 point margin with 11 games to go.
No real error margin now!

Fridge chutney

We didn't have 4 of our best 11. We had 4 injuries in the first half and played with basically 10 men (Rashford was playing with injections).

Despite this, we had the best chances to score.

I have absolutely no doubt that we would have won if we had our strongest 11 fit.

Well done Ole, tactically great given our injuries and then in-game difficulties.

We should also note... 5 players from our academy were on the pitch at once!

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 513 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Man Utd 2:1 Liverpool
  • 14% Man Utd 2:0 Liverpool