PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sun, 20 October 2019

dev1l

If Ole continues with 343 formation we LL need more cb s . First choice lindelof,Maguire and axle. The backup consists of 3 Crocks.
Maybe that s why were bring linked with cb s again ( koulibaly and demiral were mentioned this week)

Eric7C

At this point, I can only assume you don't know what the word clarify means. In lames terms:

'Can you explain what you mean, because it sounds like you're saying XYZ.'

To which you responded with:

'Learn to read!'
'Stop putting words in my mouth!'

Yeah, thats a logical response... Maybe take a few deep breathes, and remind yourself you're on a discussion forum, despite for discussion.
You are not fooling anybody. This was your very first response to me:

Just of clarify, you're comparing our attack with Liverpool's, right?

With this emoticon: :houllier:

Not exactly trying to get into an engaging respectful conversation is it? I suggest you stop replying. Good day to you.

SAFMUTD

https://www.skysports.com/football/man-utd-vs-barcelona/102148
When we beat Barcelona in the champions league.
We had more than 25% over 90 minutes, but we no doubt hung on at the end. That's when we actually were a top team, rather than now when we're not.
I couldn't find any statistics for late on in the second half, but I doubt we saw more than 25% of the ball toward the end.
If you have to go all that way back and against prime barcelona, you’re proving my point.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If you have to go all that way back and against prime barcelona, you’re proving my point.
It's just the first one to pop into my head, there's plenty more if you did some research.
Disproved your point with an obvious example.

SAFMUTD

We're a top team?

We're clearly a weaker team.

If you're damn naive to keep it on the front foot for 90 minutes, hope your players have a lot of illegal drugs to resist the fatigue.

Football is fecking simple isn't it? Just go on the front foot, hoping for the best to score 3 goals.
You do know there are more than two tactics in football right?

Its not either go mad full attack or shit your pants and sat back.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
You are not fooling anybody. This was your very first response to me:

Just of clarify, you're comparing our attack with Liverpool's, right?

With this emoticon: :houllier:

Not exactly trying to get into an engaging respectful conversation is it? I suggest you stop replying. Good day to you.
It's worded as a question, asking you to clarify what you wrote. You could have, you know, answered the question, as opposed to being an arse about it, which you still haven't done, by the way.

Still, your frank refusal to answer tell us all we really need to know. 'You are not following anybody.'

caid

Feck me, this is what cringes my nerves, we are not a freaking relegation zone team. Ole has us playing like that but that doesn’t mean our expectations should lower to that standard.

This is dangerous it seems some here are buying the we have a relegation team squad shit. Soon we’ll he celebrating if we manage to end up on mid table.
Fair enough, celebrate is too strong. Be happy with. Were a midtable team with a pile of injuries and terrible cover.

Eric7C

It's worded as a question, asking you to clarify what you wrote. You could have, you know, answered the question, as opposed to being an arse about it, which you still haven't done, by the way. There's usually only one good reason why that happens.
You don't take rejection very well do you?

LJJT

So, all you Bell ends wanting liverpool to win and saying how great liverpool are and how shit we are and how shit our manager is and how shit he is at tactics, what are we saying now?

SAFMUTD

It's just the first one to pop into my head, there's plenty more if you did some research.
Disproved your point with an obvious example.
Please enlighten me, besides that barcelona team and maybe City that are famous and extremely capable of monopolizing possession I dont think are many examples. My point is they didn’t take possession from us, we gave it to them like scared little boys...at home.

EwanI Ted

I'm on the happy with the performance rather than the unhappy with the result side of the fence here. Shit goal to give away, but to be honest, look at the personnel we have available to us and these things are going to keep happening to us for a while longer. I'm more concerned with whether Ole looks like a manager who will do the best with what he has available to us, so that as (or should I say if) we get better players, he'll be the man to take us up the table with them.

I'm still unconvinced that he is the right man, but given the state of the first team we had to put out today, I dont think he could have done that much better.

Dec9003

So, all you Bell ends wanting liverpool to win and saying how great liverpool are and how shit we are and how shit our manager is and how shit he is at tactics, what are we saying now?
They're crying saying it keeps our manager in a job, and doing mental gymnastics in an attempt to say we played poorly.
It's a bit embarrassing to read.

Dec9003

Please enlighten me, besides that barcelona team and maybe City that are famous and extremely capable of monopolizing possession I dont think are many examples. My point is they didn’t take possession from us, we gave it to them like scared little boys...at home.
Watch literally any match that managers like Simeone, Mourinho etc play against a top team.
Your point was a poor one, it's as simple as that really, especially considering we're not currently a top team, as others have pointed out to you.

criticalanalysis

Disappointing result after leading for so long but I said it in the pre-game thread, I wasn't 'worried' about this game.

Underdogs, derby, men behind the ball, at home and being restricted to only play one way meant we were always going to be tough to beat. I even said I wouldn't be suprised if we smashed and grab the game.

My worry is the rest of the games under Ole.

hn4manunited

We looked up for the match. The whole team worked for that result. I’m happy to see this. Our boys didn’t just roll over. Pereira played his best today.

I’d take the positives from this and move on, look to next week. If we can maintain this hunger and work rate every match, we could have a chance to move up the table.

ivaldo

You don't take rejection very well do you?
Not particularly. We all have our issues. That's why you get angry when someone demonstrates publicly when you're wrong. Refusing to engage with the question and reverting to snideness is a common reaction. A calmer person would've just clarified when they were asked to clarify, instead of replying half a dozen times to avoid the question. :)

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
We are 13th. 2 points off relegation.

That is all.
This is our reality.

Some top rate delusion in this thread.

No matter how we got here, we are where we are. Until all accept this reality and stop moaning that we’re not SAFs all beaters anymore, they will gain no pleasure nor help team make any progress.

Given our recent history, state of the squad, current form and confidence of the team, with so many injuries, this was an excellent performance and result.

Supporters really need to support the team, especially after this effort. It may be ‘game raising’ but that’s where we are.

Today can be a springboard to sort our act out, get up the table in time for January window, and then make a charge for top 4. That’s our revised target and we should back our team to do so.

Else what’s the point?

Last edited:

Eurotrash

I would love your optimism, but this game still reminded me of what we have played like against Southampton and Newcastle. No attacking plan, hoping for mistakes and defensive lapses by our team.

Our side still looks paper thin as well. Only really martial to call upon and Woodward needs answer serious questions about this.
I actually did think we had an attacking plan today, and played it fairly well until we scored.

Agree that our side is paper thin, no news there.

Coops73

we should have gone for the second.
Agreed but Ole seemed to revert to a much more defensive structure just when I thought We had them worried and being a lot more pragmatic, for me it was a poor decision to revert to a back five and defend the lead.
We should of won that game in my humble opinion but my expectations were so low it feels positive.

Eric7C

Not particularly. We all have our issues. That's why you get angry when someone demonstrates publicly when you're wrong. Refusing to engage with the question and reverting to snideness is a common reaction. A calmer person would've just clarified when they were asked to clarify, instead of replying half a dozen times to avoid the question. :)
Glad you agree.

AndyMUFC

I'd taken it before the game but yeah, frustrating in the circumstances as I thought we were pretty good and neutralised them completely for most of it.

Now we're starting to get players back from injury, it's time to move on from this and start turning the games that aren't against the top sides into wins.

SAFMUTD

Watch literally any match that managers like Simeone, Mourinho etc play against a top team.
Your point was a poor one, it's as simple as that really, especially considering we're not currently a top team, as others have pointed out to you.
It doesn’t matter whether we have currently a strong squad or not, its a thing about ideals for all the stuff we preach under Ole of exciting fast attacking football what we saw today was shameful . I doubt we’ll see Madrid or Barca sitting that way no matter what squad they have.

Mourinho and Simeone do sit deep but with counterattack. What we saw today in the second half wasn’t counterattacking football, was 11 players sitting back.

Either way lets just agree to disagree.

joedirt87

Surprised we were up 1-0 at half time, but knew the Ole cycle was coming. The drop off, the lack of subs, the concession. On to the next game, hopefully the return of Martial and Pogba sees us actually score more than 1 goal.

RMD83

Gutted in the end but I would have took a draw before the game. It was a much improved performance from recent weeks/months. I don’t feel robbed to be fair either. Liverpool were in control for the last 10-20 minutes and when you look at the options on the bench we really were stuck with what he had at the time. Everyone put a shift in and some encouraging performances from pereira and Fred and nice to see Rashford looking back to his old self. I’ve had my doubts of ole but he got his tactics right before the game. So a lot of credit is due.

Steven-UK

After Liverpool equalised you knew we had nothing to get anywhere near their goal. We are garbage.

Everybody else knew it too, as all over the stadium people left in droves once the equaliser went in.

Felt like a loss in the stadium.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'd taken it before the game but yeah, frustrating in the circumstances as I thought we were pretty good and neutralised them completely for most of it.

Now we're starting to get players back from injury, it's time to move on from this and start turning the games that aren't against the top sides into wins.
Having Martial back is big. He, Rashford and James are the only goal threats in the squad and James has cooled down since his amazing start. So essentially we've relied on Rashford to carry our goal threat. Martial returning is big so lets cross everything and hope that he and Rashford can retain fitness for a few months at least.

ivaldo

Glad you agree.
By the book. You're like a case study. :lol:

Night!

Foxbatt

He is incompetent and today proves it more. We were leading 1-0 and with 10 mins to go and all our players running on empty tanks and what does he do?
He takes out Rashford and bring in Martial. Martial is never going to run his socks off like Rashford.
He didn't take anymore off in midfield to bring on fresh legs. He should have taken off Fred and even Jones would have been better to run like crazy for the last 10 mins.
Klopp knew we were tired and hence he brought in fresh players. While our manager messed it up as usual.
Honestly he hasn't a clue.

meamth

You do know there are more than two tactics in football right?

Its not either go mad full attack or shit your pants and sat back.
Yeah I realized that.

10 years ago, sure. You can get the lead and sit back and control the game to regain stamina, but no this era my friend.

Liverpool came out that 2nd half to chase, meaning they were just trying to control the game in the first half, preserving stamina.

1st half: Liverpool was in their controlling phase, we attack. Our extra efforts are drained, there.

2nd half: Liverpool's turn to kick it up a notch, we try to control, we can't, we try to absorb and counter.

Oh we all wish for an all out 90 minutes pressing, but it won't happen mate, they're all human.

Irwin99

Don't tell me...United are a disgrace for setting up like this,...bottled the win, etc etc?
He said what any sane person watching the game would, that a draw was a fair result, United deserve credit but maybe could have had a bit more composure, Liverpool were a bit flat but never gave up and showed determination. There's not a lot more you can say in that type of game. A lot of hard work went into it.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Having Martial back is big. He, Rashford and James are the only goal threats in the squad and James has cooled down since his amazing start. So essentially we've relied on Rashford to carry our goal threat. Martial returning is big so lets cross everything and hope that he and Rashford can retain fitness for a few months at least.
I do not think James has cooled down, great pass to Rashford for the goal today.

Steven-UK

We are still as shit as before, we crumbled like we always do when we had that game won.

Velvet Revolver

Disappointed with the result and second in general but this was the first real ‘team’ performance. Everyone contributed but not enough in the end.

Pisses me off that a lot of our goals conceded this season is due to defensive errors!

big_jeffstar

I genuinely can't believe what i'm reading on here, I sit in an office, surrounded by Liverpool fans, they'd written us off as a mere distraction today in their march to the league title, the guy sitting next to me predicted 0-5.. (0-6 once axel was injured!)
As the game wore on they got quieter, and quieter, until eventually they all conceded that a point would have been a fair result. One of them even admitted that they were completely outplayed and were lucky to pick up anything at all.
Look, we're ravaged by injuries, completely bereft of any depth whatsoever and can't manage to play the same eleven from one game to the next, maybe a lot of that is on the manager, but what was everyone's expectations going into this match? because from where i'm sitting, the players did absolutely nothing wrong for over three quarters of the game, There have been times this season where I've wanted Ole gone, but today is certainly not one of them. We now have a run of games that look winnable and have important players coming back, so let's see where we are after Christmas, and hopefully we can plug some of the gaps in the January window, i really don't think it's as bad as some are desperate for it to be

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 457 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Man Utd 0:3 Liverpool
  • 12% Man Utd 0:2 Liverpool