PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sun, 20 October 2019

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Honestly felt like a loss at the end.

I had a sneaking suspicion we'd get a result today but 1-1 after leading for so long and especially against them is deflating to say the least.

Happy with the performances of many players and that's enough for me. They all put a shift in whether they're good enough or not and for that we can't ask any more of them.

Shows how paper thin the squad is though when we can barely make a sub.

Ole was actually on point for most of his tactical decisions today which is wildly different from the rest of his time here but sitting back at the end was only ever gonna end up in Liverpool scoring. We didn't need to do it.

Dan James is rapidly becoming one of my favourite players. The man gives everything.

The Irish Connection

Delighted with the heart we showed today! Happy with the draw but disappointing to lose the lead so late on.
We lack quality on the ball and in attack but when we work hard we can hold our own. Worrying though that not every game is against Liverpool.
Let’s hope martial and pogba can get back into a rhythm soon now and we gain a bit of confidence from this.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
People will get blinded by this game because all we needed to do was run and run. Next game against a parked bus and we'll look gash again
We need a player who can shoot from distancehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXD5XT1Vcb0 with verocity. That would make every opponent think before doing a bus park job.

Last edited:

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Gutted not to take all 3 points really and I wouldn’t have thought that when I saw the team sheets. James was good today.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Nothing result for us.
The result was disappointing in the end. Some of the performance was good, but only if they carry it forward. It will be no use if we lose all that desire and fight when we play the next games. The only thing that disappoints me is Ole not making changes quick enough, when it is obvious some players are running on empty.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Great United performance, esp considering the injuries and last-minute change. Unlucky not to win. Very good pressing. Fantastic, well-organised, and perfectly coordinated defence line despite the surprising error for the equaliser. Loads of positives today for Ole to build on and start a revival.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I expected the team to keep up what they did in the first half - have some feckin intent. But Ole sent them out to defend in the second half and he didn't make any substitutions till after the 80th min. James was playing as a striker for some periods in this game when we had Martial and especially Greenwood on the bench. This is amateur-level management.
We get that you have your agenda and refuse to give Ole any credit for the result, but you have no idea whether Ole 'sent them out to defend' or what the instructions were.

Have you considered that maybe the European Champions were just a bit better than us in the second half and pushed us back? Or should every manager that is ever 1-0 up always win the game or otherwise be called an amateur by you?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The whole team is only scoring 1 a game at most, so it's not surprising really.
Hence why having Martial back is big for us. Currently opposing teams know that if they shut out Rashford our goal threat is minimal. So having Martial back will help provide another danger. When you look at our squad, only 4 players have scored in the PL this season and one of them is Martial who's been out for most of it.

It's a welcome return back and we do have some fairly decent fixtures in the PL in the coming weeks which on paper don't look too bad. I'll remain positive and think this could be the turning point.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Well done. You were the better team. We were nervous and only started playing in the last 10 minutes. Said to my mate yesterday it would be close, and said it would be a draw. Still, if you'd have offered me this exact scenario before our first game, I'd have bitten your hand off.
Thanks. Nice a liverpool fan is able to see what a lot of our mard arse fans seem unable to grasp. Probably because they refuse to put the game in context. An injury hit United side with a thin squad come up against the European champions on a run of 17 wins and managed to give them a genuine game for 70 minutes.

Liverpool change their entire midfield with good players and United tire and retreat into defence. Had we held out, nobody could say it wasn't a deserved win for us. Unfortunately we made one error and got punished for it.

Eric7C

We get that you have your agenda and refuse to give Ole any credit for the result, but you have no idea whether Ole 'sent them out to defend' or what the instructions were.

Have you considered that maybe the European Champions were just a bit better than us in the second half and pushed us back? Or should every manager that is ever 1-0 up always win the game or otherwise be called an amateur by you?
:houllier:

GaryLifo

There’s a difference between being throwned back and sitting back.

We sat back, there’s no doubt about that. Thats a weak small team mentality, I dont care if Liverpool are the better team.

Sitting down so deep in Old Trafford is a freaking embarrassment, Ole should get fired alone for that. So much about the mentality, the ManUtd way, knowing what the club is about and all those empty phrases and he just shit his pants against Liverpool.
:lol: how can one post be so horribly bad?

This needs to go into the classics

Foxbatt

Do you know why we conceded? Because most of the players and especially Fred and Perera were dead on their feet. So was Aaron and Young.
That's why the cross came through. Ole should have seen it and put on two subs in midfield. Even Jones can run for 10 mins.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Hence why having Martial back is big for us. Currently opposing teams know that if they shut out Rashford our goal threat is minimal. So having Martial back will help provide another danger. When you look at our squad, only 4 players have scored in the PL this season and one of them is Martial who's been out for most of it.

It's a welcome return back and we do have some fairly decent fixtures in the PL in the coming weeks which on paper don't look too bad. I'll remain positive and think this could be the turning point.
It turned out to be a decent situation for him to come back into.
I feared we would be desperate for a goal, and he'd be half fit with huge expectation on him.

Instead it was a bit of a, oh yeah Martial's back moment.

A lot of our hopes depend on him staying fit. Only player who can realistically give Rashford a rest too.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Thought we would get spanked, in the end we were unlucky.

That said we were still very poor and still miles of where we should be.

Hopefully we have showed other teams that Liverpool are not all that and they go on to collapse.

No doubt we will be back to our rubbish self next week.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Do you know why we conceded? Because most of the players and especially Fred and Perera were dead on their feet. So was Aaron and Young.
That's why the cross came through. Ole should have seen it and put on two subs in midfield. Even Jones can run for 10 mins.
Did you see that bench? It was a shocker

GazTheLegend

Thought we would get spanked, in the end we were unlucky.

That said we were still very poor and still miles of where we should be.

Hopefully we have showed other teams that Liverpool are not all that and they go on to collapse.

No doubt we will be back to our rubbish self next week.
To be fair they are the Champions of Europe.

Few signings and we won't be far away, genuinely -believe- that. We aren't as awful as everyone thinks.

Just a bit young, with a few shit players here and there, and the odd world class one.

GaryLifo

Again, I don't see how anyone can accuse these players of a lack of effort. Their effort and application got us a point today. The lack of quality is painfully evident but we outfought Liverpool for most of the match.

We were a bit lucky with the VAR thing though, can't believe some people are saying it wasn't a foul :lol: we'd be incensed if that was not given against us. Heart was in mouth for the VAR check against Fred at the end :nervous:
You've missed the point about the foul. If the ref sees it and plays on then it has to be a clear error to get overturned. It was soft at best. Origi also made a huge meal out of it, which makes it all the sweeter

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He is incompetent and today proves it more. We were leading 1-0 and with 10 mins to go and all our players running on empty tanks and what does he do?
He takes out Rashford and bring in Martial. Martial is never going to run his socks off like Rashford.
He didn't take anymore off in midfield to bring on fresh legs. He should have taken off Fred and even Jones would have been better to run like crazy for the last 10 mins.
Klopp knew we were tired and hence he brought in fresh players. While our manager messed it up as usual.
Honestly he hasn't a clue.
I was saying the very same thing. Martial did next to nothing compared with the chasing down of Rashford and James. It was in midfield that we were getting over run. Andreas and McTominay had worked pretty hard and needed fresh legs as you say. Fred was yet again ineffective. Ole use of subs is terrible but even Jones would have helped.

izzydiggler

It’s a shame that drawing at home against Liverpool (who were very poor today) has become something to cheer and be relieved about but was a far better result and performance than pretty much everyone expected, so got to take it.

Eric7C

Who knew Eric7C off the internet was in the changing room at half time :houllier:
You don't have to be in the changing room at half time to see the change in tactics in a football game.

Just about sums you up :lol:

Memento28

The game went better than I expected but we should have won it, it's a team game but Rojo was too casual and didn't try harder to stop the ball. I have seen plenty of occasions in other matches too where Rojo plays too casually. Not being too negative but a win would have given lots of confidence to everyone.

mu4c_20le

There is nothing wrong with crosses coming through. I expect top defenders to easily deal with them. Under Moyes we delivered over 15 crosses into the box every game, it means nothing.

AneRu

To be fair they are the Champions of Europe.

Few signings and we won't be far away, genuinely -believe- that. We aren't as awful as everyone thinks.

Just a bit young, with a few shit players here and there, and the odd world class one.
I have consistently said that we arent that bad, we sold ourselves short in the summer by not signing two more players - one midfielder and one attacker. Get those and we'd be right in the mix for a top four finish and be in a position to complete the rebuild next summer.

RedIan

I was dreading this game, i thought we would be comfortably beaten.... well we didnt win but still a great performance for 75 minute. Good tactics from Ole stifling the Liverpool wingbacks. Rashford finally looked a real threat. James is great. For me Fred is the weakest link. Good to see martial back even though he did nowt.
I’d have taken. Point At the start but i think we deserved all 3. Liverpool didn't look like premiership leaders/favourites and didn’t start playing until the last 15 minutes.

MrBest

Respect and credit where due, I did nto expect to comfortably get a draw against dare i say it, probably the best team in Europe. I hope this is not for nothing and we gain much needed confidence. I am sad about the goal we conceded but not angry, well done to the lads for a mature performance.

AFC NimbleThumb

Team was crying out for changes in the midfield & yet again OgS shows he’s completely inept in game.

JG3001

Mourinho was hung out to dry when we performed like this. However this is now being considered a good performance because Ole has let the standards drop so low.
Well observed, thought the same. This is overlooked by desperate fans looking for any positive signs.

Things have just got progressively worse and worse, so any bounce back, however minor, is grossly exaggerated.

The_Midfielder

We have the ingredients of a good team.. If we add 3-4 good hungry players.. we will be a. good team

AneRu

I was saying the very same thing. Martial did next to nothing compared with the chasing down of Rashford and James. It was in midfield that we were getting over run. Andreas and McTominay had worked pretty hard and needed fresh legs as you say. Fred was yet again ineffective. Ole use of subs is terrible but even Jones would have helped.
It's like he watches a completely different game. Liverpool had switched to a 4-4-2 meaning they had 4 midfielders to our tired three and all their subs were in the middle. Needed Jones to come and be a harrier in midfield to disrupt their fluidity, how he doesn't see that is beyond me. What should have been a comfortable win turns into a nervy 1-1 because the manager's in game management is not up to scratch.

rotherham_red

Feels like a loss, but definitely something to build on. Much, much improved tactically today, and the players showed the right desire, application and bravery. Take the good elements from today and learn from the bad.

GaryLifo

So, all you Bell ends wanting liverpool to win and saying how great liverpool are and how shit we are and how shit our manager is and how shit he is at tactics, what are we saying now?
They are upset because we didn't get beaten. So now they're livid we didn't win or something.

The squad is thin and low quality they say, but the thin low quality squad shouldn't tire and should score more goals against the league leaders on a 17 game winning run.

It's borderline schizophrenic

0le

It was a good result. The late goal is frustrating, but Liverpool always do that. In the end, it was still a good point. It was good to see Ole try something different. I don't think much has changed though. We'll still struggle in our next game.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It was a good result. The late goal is frustrating, but Liverpool always do that. In the end, it was still a good point. It was good to see Ole try something different. I don't think much has changed though. We'll still struggle in our next game.
It's bought him a bit of breathing space. But it's still a long way to January!

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
Phenomenal goal. Should have won. Wish we could show up for the second sometimes. There is something psychological that prevents it.

tomaldinho1

Thought we'd lose, glad we didn't.
Annoying as it shows that when the team is up for it, we're at least very combative and hard to beat. Ole has to work out how to make us consistently so. They were pretty poor and it would have been great to hold on but it's a good point.

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 457 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Man Utd 0:3 Liverpool
  • 12% Man Utd 0:2 Liverpool