PL L FA Premier League

Liverpool 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 19 January 2020

Ventura

The worrying part isn't losing away to the worlds best team, when we have 3 key players injured. The worrying part is that our squad is in such a state that this was actually a pretty decent performance.

mu4c_20le

Am I the only who thought we were okay? I mean, we were missing McSauce and Rashford and had Matic in the side.

If Martial had scored his chance, things could've been different.
We were okay. It's just a few people losing their shit every time a Liverpool player missed a shot but it was an open game and we had our chances too, and were the better team in the second half. Without like 3 or 4 of our best players, and at Anfield.

Hughie77

Site crashed. That says it all! Under the cosy for 10 mins in 2nd half, then got the ball down started playing, you cannot chase a game when your quality is not good enough, thought Matic, Fred were excellent, Andreas has a longer foot it's 1-1 at Half time.
I think we showed we can be better, but lack a quality that's it.
Martial why try and take the leather off the ball . Plenty of endoevour but again lack of quality, and bad bad defending of a corner. 2nd goal well that was just us trying to get equaliser.

Mata coming on brought some quality. Rashford big miss. This was always a tough game made tougher by bad corner defending again.

Irwin99

WTF- our 50 million right back got absolutely slaughtered and our left back gets yet ANOTHER yellow card for rugby tackling a player and he's criticising Lindelof? Yes it was a bad clearance but geez I think we had more pressing concerns on the flanks.

UnitedChampionsAgain

Glad we gave it a go. Bit sick they got another right at the end. Great performances from Fred, Matic, Williams, and even Shaw did well. Now just go and wallop Burnley.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I don't think we played well. You can make an argument that Fred and Matic played well. You can even make an argument that we fought well, but the performance on the ball was not very good at all. No quality in that last third, and let's be honest, this isn't an isolated example. Rashford aside, our main issue is the last third! Never the right ball at the right time with the right weight. If it's the right pass, it's the wrong weight. if it's the right weight, it's the wrong time. Just the decision making is poor at the moment.
Surprised at how "proud" people are of getting battered by Liverpool. On another day they would have had four or five, whilst Martial's chance was the only clear cut chance at the other end (Pereira's was a half-chance at best, given he can't magically grow a few inches on demand). Sure, there was some resistance and fight (Fred especially), but on the whole they were miles better and should have won more comfortably than they did.
This. Just another example of standards dropping among the fans.

Two seasons ago we ground out a 0-0 draw at Anfield. The manager and players were crucified on here for it!

Alabaster Codify7

Meh, difficult game to slate Ole and the team really. We all knew Liverpool are 2-3 levels above us and that's exactly what was on display today. The team at least showed a bit of fight towards the end. Onto the next game, and with no Rashford we are now going to struggle even more.

The Red Thinker

We are in a new cycle of transition. Our 3 best players didn’t play and we showed glimpses of what we are about. We need midfielders... quality midfielders.
Fred did as much as he could and proved he can be a good squad player for us in the future. But we need serious quality who can pass the ball long and short with accuracy and creativity.

PerreiraIs not good enough. Matic is great for cover butforcing him to be the creative link on the counter which was the case at times was painful to watch.

we need players. Give Ole the summerand see what team he builds. If he can’t get it right for the first half of next season- he’s out.

Hughie77

We were okay. It's just a few people losing their shit every time a Liverpool player missed a shot but it was an open game and we had our chances too, and were the better team in the second half. Without like 3 or 4 of our best players, and at Anfield.
Agree we were the better side from 55 mins or so onward crowd new it as well. I know we lost but it's not by far a disaster display ie Arsenal away type.

koop

Why is Harry cnuting Maguire playing as a 10 with 91 minutes gone? Get in the box, you pallet-headed prick.

Why tell De Gea not to go up for the corner with 92 minutes gone? What exactly are we protecting, a 1-0 loss?

De Gea and Fred played well. Everyone else was shit.
hahahah thanks that actually made me laugh quite abit :lol: :lol:

Betson

Keane is right , big players score in big matches when the chances come and Martial does not do that enough , we are going to really struggle without Rashford for the next few months.

drdoityourself

Williams as left winger was a non-entity. Never an outlet when we were going forward. And Trent Alexander-Arnold too very few risks today, so he didn't have as much of a role in defense either. The scared manager didn't take him off until 70 odd minutes, this horrible idea should have been fixed trailing at half time at least.

Pereira struggles making the right decisions, he was getting plenty of opportunites. That role was begging for Mata who has seen an upturn in form. Again, that wasn't addressed until too late.

Fred was superb, and I thought Matic did well actually. This team is lacking in quality and missed it's best players. Good effort but the quality in the squad is not up to par. A signing has to be made this January.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
This is the best league side Liverpool’s has in what, 30 years?
We go there, depleted by injuries, and got beat. No surprise there.
I was surprised at how we took it to them late in the game and tbh could see us equalizing, had not every high ball into their box go straight to VVD.
Yeah, we lacked quality in the final 1/3 but again, no surprise there with two of our best players out.
I guess I’m not so doom & gloom as others here.

The Hacker

More annoyed than I probably should be. I didn’t expect a Win, but to be so weak in every battle for so much of the match is telling. We’re so far off in so many aspects it’s hard to see what any decent management team will be able to change first.

I’m almost saddened by the state of us now. Embarrassed is probably what I feel.

Post match feelings I know, but what is the route back to contending?

RoyH1

Yes, they are better than us and deserved to win. Yes they're an excellent team and are going to win the Premiership. But don't let the media and scouses fool you, this is no historic or seminal team that changed football forever.

fergieisold

Come off it. Van Gaal had a fantastic record against Liverpool. We created very little again, when did Alisson make a save? The only real chance was the Martial one. It’s pretty much the same every week, we lack any quality in the final third and now our only threat is injured because our tit of a manager brought him on when he already had an injury.
Yeh, we lack quality final third and that is really frustrating because what I see before that is actually a team setup quite well, moving the ball forward quickly, looking for passes between the lines. It looks better to me than it has been under our post fergie managers. I enjoy watching us atleast now!

The Purley King

We did ok today despite the loss.
Remove Liverpool’s best 3 outfield players and see how they cope.
James missed two pretty easy through balls in the first half and also Martials wild hack when clean through.
Could have been different but I n the balance of play Liverpool prob deserved to win by a goal.
Also de gea needs to fecking toughen up when going for a high ball. Get your fecking knee out and launch yourself at it. He invites these situations........

Superunknown

The scoreline doesn't say it all, imo. We were well out of the game in the first half and came out badly in the start of the second half. We had a good period of 15-20 minutes in the second half where we looked better and started to create chances, but didn't take them.

This game doesn't really tell us anything new. All of our problems from this season were evident here. Shit attacking play, poor crossing, useless at attacking and defending corners, poor movement, inability to pass the ball, etc. The only difference is that today it was magnified because we came against an opposition who can do all of those things better than we can.

We have a handful of good performers today, but we also have so many plain or average players who wouldn't get in to other top sides. Somehow we have decided that these players are good enough and either can't seem to attract other better players in the transfer market or are unwilling to bring them in. We are 12 points off Aston Villa, who are in 18th, and are 30 points behind Liverpool. In January.

I would love to hear what goes on in these boardroom meetings at our club. It'll be a damning indictment on this club when this transfer window shuts and we have no Rashford and also no additional players coming in.

xMaravilla

Supports
Belgium
Maguire was a disgrace, how can you defend that bad for a manchester united captain? He had to dominate the defence, I was really upset with his performance. The same with matic for me, some of you like him but he’s sooo slow. Only mistake from ole is that he didnt change the plan little earlier. Great spirit last 30min!!

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
We were in the game, and as a team and individually there were plenty of things we did well that should give us hope. That being said we just didn't have enough quality to hurt them in the final third, and we were so poor in the first half we could have been out of it by half time.

I don't think we were unlucky to be honest. They were worthy winners across the 90 minutes and as far as I'm concerned everything that went against us in the game came from a lack of quality or knowhow from our side, though there are positives for us.

Spark

A fully deserved win for Liverpool. We had our chances that we should have taken and the last 15 minutes was promising. However, the vast majority of the first half and the first 20 minutes of the second half was absolutely atrocious.

The need for reinforcements is obvious and I’m confident we will be incredibly disappointed.

Bestofthebest

Good effort but it just shows again how poor our squad is overall and why we will find it difficult to recruit really good players when they see what they could end up playing with. Really need to get a decent striker in to cover for Rashford and if we get another injury up front we could end up well and truly stuffed. Not a cat in hells chance of making top four as things stand.

Gasolin

It’s going to be so f****** toxic here... hope we sign players now for AM and replace Rashford. We need that. Maybe a CM. We need those players, Ole can be tactically astute but we need the people to execute and to lift the mood.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
They were better over the 90, but we had a good spell in the 2nd half where we had them and the crowd rattled. A fully fit Rashford, Pogba and McTominay in that side and I think we win.

pearl1337

I am so dissapointed over the fact that; we had a strong, consistent midfield, and produces many goal opportunites, but it was obvious that we lacked finishing and end product, and imo Greenwood should have been put on at halftime for Pereira and put all the way up front. But as usual he was subbed on WAY to late by Ole.
Hell, he should have even started the match. Dan James has no part in a starting XI and nothing to contribute with against teams like Liverpool. Only pace and work rate, which isn't nearly enough, only good enough for a sub.
I am furious that Ole is lacking this clinical desicion making which could seem obvious alot of times. Also I fecking hate Salahs diving

Betson

This is the best league side Liverpool’s has in what, 30 years?
We go there, depleted by injuries, and got beat. No surprise there.
I was surprised at how we took it to them late in the game and tbh could see us equalizing, had not every high ball into their box go straight to VVD.
Yeah, we lacked quality in the final 1/3 but again, no surprise there with two of our best players out.
I guess I’m not so doom & gloom as others here.

Ok so our best players were out today , how do you explain the 30 pt gap , they only got 3 of them today.

Fact is right now full pick for us or not they are light years ahead of us.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Pool have got so many average players playing out their skin. No way should they be in a debate for best Prem teams ever. Henderson under Klopp is like Cleverley under Fergie. Top managers can make such a difference to teams. Klopp is the best out there I think.

reddevil80

Henderson motm? For what exactly, a couple of 6 yard sideways passes?
That award was decided before kick off, probably during the obligatory y.a.w.n. wank fest.
Fred pissed all over him today, even in the first half when they were trashing us.
hear hear :smirk:

manichester

Team get an average 6 for hard workout severe lack of quality, awkward, board and owners get 0 injury problems were known weeks ago and nothing done.

The Irish Connection

Delighted with Fred again. If we can get 4 or 5 more players of his quality playing to a high level in the team we will be much better.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Its appalling. Not sure if that includes second balls too. Its one of the worst things about the football side of the club
Terrible fact that. Just goes to prove that the standard of coaching is not nearly good enough.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
That’s what I said, kinda. It’s their best side for years. No disgrace to lose there, all things considered.

Pjisared

Well done Fred, best game of the season for me.
Well done Patrice Evra ...red through and through, it seems Keane has become a Pool fan disappointing.Sourness is just a prick.

bdspeedy

Because I follow my club through good times and bad, not like some on here.
Good for you. Thick and thin. What a hero. Do you honestly think those of us who are APPALLED by our current pathetic state won't still be die-hard supporters in 30 years? I support the CLUB. Not parasitic owners and management. BTW. I'm STILL not Ole out. I just don't think he's any more than a den mother/ place holder/ scapegoat for Eddie and his masters.

Tel074

We still have a long way to go to get to that Level produced by Liverpool today. Anyone that understands football will see that we were completely outplayed and it was a repeat of the City game. However, we played much better today.

we as United fans needs to ask ourselves.....Is ole really the right guy that will take us to that next level?? I don’t see it.

You obviously don't understand football because we where definitely not completely outplayed today . We dominated long spells but we have very little creative .

Betson

Team get an average 6 for hard workout severe lack of quality, awkward, board and owners get 0 injury problems were known weeks ago and nothing done.

They are the current champions league champions and running away with the league this season , a bit better than average I think.

Man of the Match

Fred image Fred 83% of 325 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 318 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw