FA W FA Cup 4th Round

Manchester United 3:2 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sun, 24 January 2021

redmanx

You know its good when pundits start losing their heads, and talking rubbish to avoid praising us. Craig Burley, Don Hutchison, Ian Wright, Jenas all losing their heads.

Since last January, we have been on an upward trajectory. Everyone is using this 'weird season' to detract from the progress this team has done. Fantastic by Ole and the boys, and this team will get much better.
My thoughts exactly, according to the media its not about the improvements we've made, the desire and attitude we show each match; no, its because of covid and Liverpool playing more games with less rest and their "tremendous" efforts the last 3 years which have left them "exhausted" If Liverpools best XI were to lose 10 nil to a team from a lost tribe of one legged Pygmys from the Amazonian Rain Forest the media would still find an excuse for them.

OleTheGreat

I genuinely thought Rashford had an amazing game. Cavani had a brilliant game as well. I was so dejected when that header didn't go in. Bruno is the Lord of 'em all. Liverpool dominated most parts of the game but I think we were great on the break and it has been such a great pleasure watching this team come back from behind and win so many games this season. Finally, it feels like the teams under SAF where we'd all be confident we can come back even if we are a goal behind right at the beginning. It was a brilliant watch and I loved that we eliminated them from the cup competition. Klopp should have no complaints after this.

Okey

Few things beat the feeling of beating Liverpool. What a time to be a United fan. You can smell something big on the horizon. Push on lads...make it happen!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I thought Cavani had a good game, without seeing much of the ball. Unlucky not to score with the header too.
he worked hard - just thought he is usually more effective and was a poor touch for their second.wasn't bad - prefer him to martial on one leg!

no way

we only won because of individual brilliance

glad Best, Law, Charlton, Eric, Robbo, CR etc never played for us
that’s a shame. Hopefully next time we will see some patterns of play.

can’t stand individual brilliance. There’s just no need for it in this day and age.

Denis' cuff

he worked hard - just thought he is usually more effective and was a poor touch for their second.wasn't bad - prefer him to martial on one leg!
here he is: mightymouse. The poster who suggested I see a doctor for suggesting we might be title contestants

must be sick seeing us sitting top,of the table and knocking Liverpool out of the cup

Gator Nate

That was a fun game to watch. Even after that first goal, I felt comfortable that we'd get it back. Thought the goals we gave up were defensive lapses that you pay for against Liverpool but probably get away with against lesser sides. But then, much as we hate Pool, they are a top quality side. They force mistakes, and you have to force them into mistakes. That's what good football teams do.

Cavani should have had a goal. That header was incredible. Six inches to the left and it's in.

I didn't think Van de Beek was as bad as some make out - he made some good passes. I do think he's still acclimating to the league and Ole likes to slow roll that. (And yes, there's a lot more to that discussion than I'll put here.)

Neither side put out their "Best XI," but both of those squads would do well in a full season. We were fairly evenly matched, but I felt like we had slightly more control of the opposition except for a few odd moments.

Looked like Marcus and Mason are finding their form again. Maybe. Hopefully. Both were class.

Cavani contributes even without the goals. And he's leading out there. Need more of that. Ole's building it.

Pogba doing a solid job again.

Henderson's probably a half-step behind DeGea, but I do like Dean's distribution a bit better, as well as the fact that he appears a bit more vocal with the back line.

Anyway, great win and can't wait for Sheffield United.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Anyone catch what Ole said about if there had been fans in the stadium Greenwood's goal probably never would have happened? Apparently, it was the bench that yelled at Rashford to make the pass- a pass he likely wouldn't have seen otherwise. Thought it was interesting... wish the cameras had picked that up.

city-puma

Anyone catch what Ole said about if there had been fans in the stadium Greenwood's goal probably never would have happened? Apparently, it was the bench that yelled at Rashford to make the pass- a pass he likely wouldn't have seen otherwise. Thought it was interesting... wish the cameras had picked that up.
Yeah, they shout “switch - switch” as I heard Ole said?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
ManUtd posted a video, 'all access video". You can hear coaching staff or players shouting switch before Rashford played the pass.

Gator Nate

Here's a great analysis of the tactical battle of the game:

Like how he points out that Donny had a job to do, did it effectively, then he got tired and had to be replaced.

Ole took what he learned from the first encounter and made some adjustments. Almost sounds like Klopp didn't do the same and/or operated under the assumption that Ole wouldn't change.

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 48% of 403 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 389 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw