FA W FA Cup 4th Round

Manchester United 3:2 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sun, 24 January 2021

redmanx

BBC has highlights up, apparently nothing happened before salah's goal and they show all of Liverpool's missed chances but none of United's, basically making it look like Liverpool dominated and United snatched a dramatic win.
As Ive said, the media are obsessed with Liverpool fc.

redmanx

yes they are right. The ball must be put on the exact spot the foul was committed. It cannot be moved even a mm. The same with throw ins. Of course they are just idiots to say so. No one knows the exact point where the foul was committed. Not even the ref.
So why didnt the ref or BBC pull Liverpool up for retaking a free kick at least 8 feet away from the original? They had to retake the kick because the ball was moving, but when they did retake it it was still moving!

phenry

We held the ball in midfield much better than in the last game. Mc T and Pogba took players on and didn't try the first pass they could see, or attempt a killer pass before carving out a bit of space for themselves. Much braver on the ball

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Still buzzing.

The game was never in doubt. Even at a goal down I was confident. It just seemed we had this. The scoreline makes it seem closer than it actually was.

Got married yesterday

We beat Pool

LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL
Congrats and congrats mate. Now you have to renew your vows everytime a day before we play this lot.

Don Hutchinson?! You can hear the volume in his voice start to rise as he gets riled up. :lol:

Listening to these ex-Liverpool players clutching for straws right now is very funny.

Can a loss be a win..? :p
"But you admitted, you admitted Manchester United deserved to go through!"

"Only just, Only just..." :lol:

Achilles McCool

Keen to see it again yeah. I think Cavani would’ve been through on goal if he weren’t fouled .
I saw a tweet where Duncan Castle said it was a definite yellow if he hadn’t already received a yellow earlier! I hate that mindset by refs. If it’s a yellow card offense, give the yellow!!

noodlehair

"It's like..."
We conceded one goal and almost a second from the same ball between Shaw and the CB.

0:41

4:51

And Salah's 2nd goal at 3:49. God only knows how Pogba saw Milner completely free next to him and simply gave up tracking the runner!!

Pogba's never getting to Milner there to be fair. Not sure why he stopped running unless he was hoping for a counter but he's not getting across to block the pass even if he's at full sprint.

That whole goal was a mess. I don't know why Lindelof feels the need to come so far over in the first place as that's what creates the space. He could have just held his position and he's still got more than enough time to get across if the Liverpool player does run towards goal, but he just panics all the time fecking time. He also could have easily prevented the first goal by just staying in line with our other defenders but again seemed to panic. Teams always get chances by playing off Lindelof far too easily.

It was a weird game actually as I was generally very pleased with how we played but we had a couple of spells where we just seemed to go a bit to pieces and play without any common sense...and yet our first and third goals also came during these spells and then settled us down again.

But you know, if this game happened this time last year we'd have sat on the edge of our box for 90 minutes and hoped to nick it on the break. Now we're starting to believe we can take teams like Liverpool on, which will lead to the odd mistake but its encouraging we can do it and actually win.

cyril C

As Ive said, the media are obsessed with Liverpool fc.
correct. The League game 1st half was all Liverpool's attack, but not the FA 1st half (or both half).

I watched the whole game, it was more open, more relax perhaps, and both side taking punches. In fact, if it wasn't 4x defending mistakes on both sides scoreline might have been 0-0 until 80th. But I guess this is also what the Coach and fans want, gloves off and attack, even if we conceded or lost. Ole should have played Telles, as Shaw was responsible for the 1st goal, IMO anyway.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
What?, Mctominay played very well his distribution was good and he played a key pass to Greenwood which opened up a chance in the first off. Can’t believe this comment.
I thought he lost the ball a lot of times and was careless in possession at times. If we'd been facing a team in better form than Liverpool, we could've been punished by one of the many mistakes he made and it'd be a different story.

man united 4eva

Ole's at the wheel.. Tell me how good does it feel... We've got Cavani.. Paul Pogba and Fred.. Marcus Rashford is Manc born & bred.. Duh du.. du du du du du.. Duh du.. du du du du du.. The greatest of English football.. We've won it all... :devil:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I know they had injuries but surely it's illegal to play David Luiz.

DSG

Great character. Love how this team is developing.

There are a lot of high ratings for Pogba. He played well once the subs came on, Bruno and Fred. But the evidence is pretty damning, he really cannot play as part of a two man pivot against a counter pressing team. Too many giveaways. And yet, his tackle started the counter that led to the Mason goal.
It’s just too risky. I thought Donny would occupy that spot with Pogba at the 10.

MattofManchester

Great win. Defensively we've been all over the place all season, but we've been pretty good scoring goals.

If we fix the defence, we're golden.

Alek M

Da manic one
That draw last week gave confidence to our guys that this Liverpool is nothing special and we gave them too much respect.

Ole picked a good attacking lineup while resting Bruno.

Pogba played well again
Rashford is world class
Greenwood needs to stop being selfish
Shaw needs to defend
Thought Hendo could have done better for the first goal
Awb was great

How the hell that was not a second yellow

We have the best midfield in the league.
Fred Mctominay Pogba Bruno - class

Giggzy P

Great result and played some really good football, we should have had a go at them like that in the league.

It was nice to have DVB play, the lad really needs consistent minutes. Even though he didn't do much in the game, still impresses me on how he doesn't mess about with the ball and wants to keep it moving, knows his next pass before he receives the ball, and rarely losses possession. I think we'll see the best of Donny if or when start to consistently move the ball quicker.

The result should give the lads more confidence going forward against the "big" teams.

city-puma

Still buzzing.

The game was never in doubt. Even at a goal down I was confident. It just seemed we had this. The scoreline makes it seem closer than it actually was.

Congrats and congrats mate. Now you have to renew your vows everytime a day before we play this lot.

"But you admitted, you admitted Manchester United deserved to go through!"

"Only just, Only just..." :lol:
It just shows that when we as fans have such high confidence, how high the confidence of the players is! Their mentality has been transformed and also transferred to us.

NinjaZombie

Anyone else saw RVP posting a photo of him in the park with his family with the caption "A walk in the park" right after the full time whistle? :lol:

dal

Top of the league, through in the cup against Liverpool and what you can't wait to see is three players who have never played for us (two of whom probably never will) and two of our best players sold, including today's MotM.
I wanted them replaced for two seasons, 5 good games for Pogba won’t and should not change that.

Sentimentality should not get in the way of progression and I’m glad Ole is like that because I believe he’s incredibly ruthless.

I hope Pogba and Martial can play well until the end of the season and then take their inconsistencies to another club.

Viva united.

Jeffthered

It's a bizarre season and it continues to be so. I think the game was pretty even, however we looked more dangerous than they did in an attacking sense. They played into our hands.

It was an excellent cup tie, and I do not agree that this was some great performance and we were much better. We were at home remember, and I fear what will happen when this counter-attack ploy gets muddled (if we go a couple of goes down and have to chase a game for example..)

Pogba (when playing well..) and Cavani are making a huge difference to our team, because they bring undoubted pedigree, ability, experience and resilience to the team. Our 'shape' is now clearer, more defined when they play, even if we do not perform well. No other player(s) we have exhibit those qualities and have that affect. Bruno elevates us with his technique magic, simple.

We still have too many players who we have little idea how they will perform and we remain a v nervous team, because our manager is still, v nervous, cautious, reticent. He need to change that.

Rashford is key for this style of play. He has the (growing) intelligence to take a defensive situation and turn into attack and his decision making is improving Look at the first goal for example. He is a massively important player for Man Utd. Greenwood is class, just needs ongoing guidance. A beautiful, natural footballer.

So many good things, but I still, still feel we are pretty fragile as a team.

Verbalkint

I have no idea how that gormless twat Fabinho didn't get sent off.

- Continuous fouls after receiving a yellow.
- Leaving a high leg against Rashford's groin
- Foul on Cavani for our 3rd goal
Even Mane on Fred was pretty bad. Could have been a red on another day I thought.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That was my first ever home game at old trafford. If I remember correctly he scored a typical lineker goal and was then subbed off with about 10 minutes to play and received an impressive standing ovation from everyone in the stadium.
Perhaps a slightly unusual one as he scored a cracking header from a bouncy ball.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Even Mane on Fred was pretty bad. Could have been a red on another day I thought.
It was pretty much the same as the Shaw challenge a few weeks ago where we had an opposition player potentially being sent off until they bought it back for the Shaw foul earlier. Both are rightfully yellow cards, but considering how many people were ridiculously saying that Shaw should have been sent off I'm surprised we aren't hearing more of the same for this one.

NinjaZombie

BBC has highlights up, apparently nothing happened before salah's goal and they show all of Liverpool's missed chances but none of United's, basically making it look like Liverpool dominated and United snatched a dramatic win.
That's ridiculous. Clearly trying to paint some sort of narrative eh. We had chances before the Salah goal. Funny enough I was kind of relaxed when we conceded first. "Meh, not the first time this season. Now we'll go on to win."

Didn't even celebrate Rashford's goal that much. Kind of expected it. :lol:

PieCrust

I thought the game was pretty even all told. United is just so clinical on the counter. Defensive errors on both sides leading to goals. Bruno with an amazing game winning free kick.

Really wish Cavani would have nailed that wide open header to put the bow on the win.

Still not a fan of pushing Pogba out on RW after Fred came on for Greenwood. He doesn't have the pace to operate out there and doesn't look comfortable.

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 48% of 403 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 389 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw