FA W FA Cup 4th Round

Manchester United 3:2 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sun, 24 January 2021

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
It just shows that when we as fans have such high confidence, how high the confidence of the players is! Their mentality has been transformed and also transferred to us.
Very true. In the recent past we've been a disjointed team. Heads dropped whenever any team showed fight, and when it really mattered was when we were likeliest to lose.

It's been a gradual and a long process since Ole took over, from getting the players (and fans) to enjoy football again, to functioning as a team, to believing in the process and themselves.

Come to think of it, Liverpool seem to be going through the reverse of what we're going through. I think they are missing confidence and drive more than they are missing their centerbacks.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
@U99ted @mav_9me @RedTiger @Dudu @Mr.Ridiculous__ @Tony247 @Al-T @Falcow @Moston Red @Penna @Crackers @VivaJesperBlomqvist @Florida Man @adexkola @Whatsername @Crashoutcassius @EverReddy @Client6 @YAMS49 @Catt @Rossa @Danillaco @Dirty Schwein @Achilles McCool @olesmyhero

Thank you, guys! What a wonderful day for all of us! I turned my now-wife into being a United fan too and pretty knowledgeable to boot! (certainly more so than GlastonSpur) :drool:
Good for you, you'll be able to watch the games without falling-out. :) I failed with my nephews, they're Liverpool fans and so is my great-nephew. I don't know what went wrong, I'm a bad aunt.

PaulRich

Superb result.

That aside credit to both teams for turning out a cracking cup tie.

Skåre Willoch

Great game. Some crap defending at times, but overall a very good performance from all involved.

Rashford, Pogba, Bruno great. Greenwood, Cavani, McTominay, Shaw very good.

Van de Beek must do better to start any more games. Anonymous performance, like he lacks confidence (which is understandable, I guess).

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
Over the moon..

And i am sticking to my abnormal ritual of not watching any United LIVE games.

This season, i watch United LIVE matches and the results are not good. Example of matches that i watched LIVE

*Lost 3-2 to Crystal Palace
*Lost 6-1 to Spurs
*Lost 1-0 to Arsenal
*Lost 1-2 to Basakheir in the UCL
*Lost 1-3 to PSG in the UCL

Since then I've not watch a single LIVE match and united have been doing great so far.

It's ok guys. I take it for the team.

I have the same tradition but with Liverpool.

I've only watched them in the following fixtures live in 2 seasons:

2019 - United 1 - 1 Liverpool
2019 - Liverpool 2 - 3 Atletico
2020 - Liverpool 1 - 1 WBA (Second half only, which was 0-1 WBA)
2020 - Liverpool 0 - 0 Newcastle
2020 - Southampton 1 - 0 Liverpool
2020- Liverpool 0 - 0 United
2020- Liverpool 0 - 1 Burnley
2021 - United 3 - 2 Liverpool

May start picking my battles wisely

Relfy

Chuffed with that result. Cracking game of football and was nice to see us have a go at them a bit more, and build up better attacks instead of always looking for a ball over the top like we often did at Anfield. Shame Donny didn't make much of an impact, but he's hardly played and going into such a big game wouldn't have been easy. After all you need to play matches to be fully match fit. I am sure we'll see more of him this 2nd half of the season.

Great win, credit to the lads and I hope this has a big boost of morale for the squad and some added belief we can beat anyone now.

A-man

Great victory. Was it Ole’s first coaching victory vs Liverpool?
Very entertaining game and typical “cup football” where both teams opened up much more than they would in the league.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Very true. In the recent past we've been a disjointed team. Heads dropped whenever any team showed fight, and when it really mattered was when we were likeliest to lose.

It's been a gradual and a long process since Ole took over, from getting the players (and fans) to enjoy football again, to functioning as a team, to believing in the process and themselves.

Come to think of it, Liverpool seem to be going through the reverse of what we're going through. I think they are missing confidence and drive more than they are missing their centerbacks.
Took SAF four years to establish the necessary foundation for success after years of mismanagement by the club board

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
That's ridiculous. Clearly trying to paint some sort of narrative eh. We had chances before the Salah goal. Funny enough I was kind of relaxed when we conceded first. "Meh, not the first time this season. Now we'll go on to win."

Didn't even celebrate Rashford's goal that much. Kind of expected it. :lol:
That’s the kind of entitlement we’ve been missing

Denis' cuff

McT was at fault for the goal and he literally almost never passes forward, usually some safe crappy 5-yarder back or sideways. He's not good enough for the position and it is obvious.

He also got dispossed plenty of times. I honestly feel we'd be rocking with someone like DvdB in McT's position because he'll inject tempo and ball retention to complete this team.
dont mind Scotty at all but that’s probably worth a go. Depends on oppo but good to have some variation in the squad.

Getting there

Jonno

Morning reds. It feels good doesn't it.

I can't help but feel like we've had a huge hand in Liverpools demise this last few weeks. The pressure of us being above them in the league, the two games where they couldn't beat us.

stu_1992

Fantastic result yesterday and a great watch too. It was the polar opposite to the previous weekend's game between the two teams. Nice for Ole to finally get a win versus Liverpool, let's hope that opens the floodgates a bit now too! I'd also like to see this more attacking approach to games against the big teams adopted more often too. Although I understand why it was in a Cup game and not necessarily the league.

All 3 goals by us were a great watch. Rashford and Greenwood traded off great assists and finishes for their respective goals. Those were the sort of balls that weren't coming off for us in the previous weekend's game. But they worked yesterday and that was probably because things less forced and rushed.

And of course we have to mention the winner. It was all lined up for him to get the winning goal once he came on. We knew as soon as we got a freekick there that it would be a great position for a Bruno shot. And he delivered! Great stuff. On tot the next round.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
We look class. I know we've had a shitload of false dawns but this one feels a little bit different. We really need to capitalise and re-inforce the squad with quality and we'll be looking really good.

Wasn't worried too much in the game yesterday which is a first. I knew we had the quality to put them away.

Craig Ward

I thought he lost the ball a lot of times and was careless in possession at times. If we'd been facing a team in better form than Liverpool, we could've been punished by one of the many mistakes he made and it'd be a different story.
Agree with this. McTominey is often lacking in possession - he's not always available to receive a pass and struggles to control the ball half the time. He's very safe in possession and hasnt really been that good at breaking play up of late. I struggle to see the benefit of him.

Him and Pogba gave the ball away cheaply way too much for my liking - especially first half. Poor showing

mark_a

Why was Fabinho not sent off for his foul on Greenwood? Greenwood was going to be clean through on goal if not for the foul.
This appears to be his main skill, the ability to commit fouls and get away with it! A man with a perpetual "what, me ref?!" expression! Somehow, he seems to have the rules of football applied differently to him, same with Fernandinho for City. Both players who's job it is to stop the other team playing. When City beat us at Old Trafford the other season, we did well for the first 15 or 16 mins. At the time, there seemed to be a lot of fouls. I checked when I got in from the game & if I remember rightly BBC text commentary showed 15 fouls by City in 16 mins or so.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Agree with this. McTominey is often lacking in possession - he's not always available to receive a pass and struggles to control the ball half the time. He's very safe in possession and hasnt really been that good at breaking play up of late. I struggle to see the benefit of him.

Him and Pogba gave the ball away cheaply way too much for my liking - especially first half. Poor showing
I think they aren’t a good duo to be honest.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Have to admit,I was certain Salah would score at least one and wasn't sure we could outscore them (before defences are a joke at times) but Rashford was phenomenal and the Liverpool defence seemed to panic every time he ran at them. When he's on that sort of form, he is wonderful to watch.

I thought the defence struggled in the first half but improved dramatically in the second - as did Scotty McT. It's strange that this was by far Cavani's weakest performance but the others chose a good time to respond to that (having said that, his header toward the head was bloody brilliant and would have been a wonderful goal.

I didn't think Pogba was as good as some people are saying (he gave the ball away a bit too much early on) but he did some good defending again.

As for the idea that it wasn't a foul on Cavani for the vital free kick - utter drivel. The defender put is knee through him. No idea what gameWright and the total tool Jenas were watching...

Over all, I have to admit, Liverpool have surprised me in both the games: they don't look nearly as good as i thought, although I'm sure they will recover and still be a real threat in the league. Boy, though, do they miss Van D!

We still need to strengthen the squad and to take half chances. Not convinced yet that we will won a trophy this season but with Bruno around (and he should be made club captain next season) anything is possible...

mark_a

Still feels good today! Fantastic to beat Liverpool full-stop, but to beat them (a) as part of a great run of good results, improving confidence & gaining momentum and (b) to add to their woes is great!

Alemar

Van de Beek must do better to start any more games. Anonymous performance, like he lacks confidence (which is understandable, I guess).
The good thing is he didn’t turn into a Pereira. Did an average performance - not anything special, but not anything bad either - it’s Ok for a squad player. McTominay had a worse game than him. Would be good to try VDB deeper because he looks to be press resistant (which is the main problem of Scott in such tense games)

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Have to admit,I was certain Salah would score at least one and wasn't sure we could outscore them (before defences are a joke at times) but Rashford was phenomenal and the Liverpool defence seemed to panic every time he ran at them. When he's on that sort of form, he is wonderful to watch.

I thought the defence struggled in the first half but improved dramatically in the second - as did Scotty McT. It's strange that this was by far Cavani's weakest performance but the others chose a good time to respond to that (having said that, his header toward the head was bloody brilliant and would have been a wonderful goal.

I didn't think Pogba was as good as some people are saying (he gave the ball away a bit too much early on) but he did some good defending again.

As for the idea that it wasn't a foul on Cavani for the vital free kick - utter drivel. The defender put is knee through him. No idea what gameWright and the total tool Jena were watching...
I thought Cavani had a good game, without seeing much of the ball. Unlucky not to score with the header too.

Craig Ward

Great win.

Entertaining game and we got by deservedly.

Some great things to take from the game.
Cavani was immense - a proper striker.
Greenwood - clinical as ever.
Rashford - constant danger, best player on the pitch.

Good game time for Donny, he'll come good but we need to play him more regularly. It's clear as day there's a top player there, pretty weird how we've been using him so far. Henderson had a good game too, good minutes for him. Maguire was better than he has been.

Seems to be the same old issue's with us though:
Sloppy in possession in Midfield - McTominey I struggle with. Poor on the ball, poor off it. Very safe with his passing and often Dispossessed . That coupled with Pogba is a bit of a danger area, Pogba was caught on the ball a few times too but luckily it didnt cost us. Pogba has his strengths, but it's infuriating when he dallies on the ball then gets tackled, so avoidable for a good player but we take the rough with the smooth with him I guess.

Positionally at fault in defence. AWB and Lindelof main culprits here. AWB lives out of position to be fair, but it does affect us. We need a top CB in to replace Lindelof ASAP

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
You know its good when pundits start losing their heads, and talking rubbish to avoid praising us. Craig Burley, Don Hutchison, Ian Wright, Jenas all losing their heads.

Since last January, we have been on an upward trajectory. Everyone is using this 'weird season' to detract from the progress this team has done. Fantastic by Ole and the boys, and this team will get much better.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
dont mind Scotty at all but that’s probably worth a go. Depends on oppo but good to have some variation in the squad.

Getting there
The other thing about McT is that I think he's not being played in the right position. I think him coming off the bench in a box-to-box position (but more attacking) for Pogba/Bruno or starting the cups will make him shine quite a bit more.

I also low-key think he can do an interesting job at CB since his heading is excellent.

Skåre Willoch

The good thing is he didn’t turn into a Pereira. Did an average performance - not anything special, but not anything bad either - it’s Ok for a squad player. McTominay had a worse game than him. Would be good to try VDB deeper because he looks to be press resistant (which is the main problem of Scott in such tense games)
Yeah. All things considered it might even be counted as a positive performance by him. He didn't play bad, as you say, but I think both him and us expect a bit more. If anything, he cemented his status as a squad option. But he did show that he can be counted on as a reliable option, at least.

The one instance that really underlines the confidence part is when he was running towards goal on a quick counter, with Greenwood (?) coming in from the right. He decided to turn around and pass it backwards instead from a really fine position. (I might remember this situation wrong, though).
Instead of going for gold, he chose the safe option to simply retain possession. Not exactly the wrong choice, but with some confidence he'd try to dribble or create a goal scoring chance.

redmanx

Morning reds. It feels good doesn't it.

I can't help but feel like we've had a huge hand in Liverpools demise this last few weeks. The pressure of us being above them in the league, the two games where they couldn't beat us.
Partying like it's 1999!

Maticmaker

Great result, showed once again that going down 0-1 doesn't phase us, we keep going and some delicious diagonal balls almost from front to back, great well done to everyone involved.
The only negative for me was watching Donny's display, he has lost a lot of confidence and at times (with his youthful looks) was like a kid who been allowed to play with the grown ups. Hope he gets someone to 'buddy up' with and build back his confidence, he is one for the future, if he can stay around long enough.

RonaldoVII

My life is a lot worse off for not being in Old Trafford experiencing games like that. Great performance; showed real grit throughout.

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 48% of 403 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 389 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw