PL L FA Premier League

Liverpool 4:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 19 April 2022

Moriarty

During the 1973-74 season, we were never hammered like we have been this season.Our heaviest margin of defeat was 0-3 at Arsenal and QPR. This season, we shipped 4 at Liverpool, Leicester, City, and Watford, and 5 at home against Liverpool. Tommy Doc may not have been able to stave off relegation, but he made damned sure that the 11 players he put out wouldn't roll over and quit.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I know we're absolutely shit but if someone told you at the start of the season we'd go into Liverpool away with no Varane, Shaw, McFred, Ronaldo, Greenwood, Cavani, Pogba would only play 10 mins and meanwhile Liverpool have a clean bill of health, you'd know the end result wouldn't be pretty

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

FFS! Now opponents are taking the mick in post match interviews.

But this squad is so spineless that even these things won't motivate them.
Clearly its the managers fault, the manager must have instructed the players to give the ball away cheaply and be caught out of position. And on the off chance he hasn't told them to do it then too it is his fault because they're still doing it so he hasn't been able to communicate to them properly to not be muppets.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I gotta say, my loyalty to the club is being seriously tested right now.

It's one thing to be trophyless for several years and behind rivals, but that's not really what angers me compared to something like 1-6 City in 2012. The collective lack of effort in what is supposed to be a big game for us is nothing short of shocking.

I don't ever recall Liverpool giving us an easy game like this when the tables were turned around. They raised their game and made things difficult for us and rightly so, and we can't even put on a pretense of doing that.

Truly shameful.
Loyalty to the club doesn't mean blind support to the players who have downtooled.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
As you can see I'm not really a Man United supporter but I've had a lot of respect for the club since the Fergusson era. Not only for your many victories but also for the way you use to lose when you lost. Like in those two CL finals vs Barca. In a time when almost all teams, big or small, use to park the bus vs Barca Man United didn't. You played and lost like the big team you are, even putting our best side ever in problems at times.
It's normal to lose to current Liverpool, but a big team like you shouldn't be embarrassed like that.
I hope you get a nice rebuild this summer and next season you are back in the CL instead of Spurs or Chelsea.

always_hoping

I know we're absolutely shit but if someone told you at the start of the season we'd go into Liverpool away with no Varane, Shaw, McFred, Ronaldo, Greenwood, Cavani, Pogba would only play 10 mins and meanwhile Liverpool have a clean bill of health, you'd know the end result wouldn't be pretty
Not sure if I'd use that excuse. Apart from the injury prone Varane all of those players played in the 5-0 defeat in Old Trafford

Waynne

Seeing these comments, it makes sense why these players aren't trying. They know their careers are over at this club
They've found a manager. They've identified the new players. This games me some hope the club are hard at work to fix a lot of things.

This is good that the problems with this squad are laid squarely on the shoulders of these players. There's no more place to hide

OleGunnar20

:lol:

And I feel we all just witnessed the horrors of what Super Hans witnessed in that room of darkness.

“Dude, don’t worry about them, because they sure as hell aren’t worrying about you.”
Well said. This lot are just so not Rainbow Rhythyms, unfortunately.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Gotta say, fair play to the Liverpool fans for the applause for Ronaldo in the 7th minute.

Slightly disappointed it didn't get its own thread tbh but still, classy move.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
During the 1973-74 season, we were never hammered like we have been this season.Our heaviest margin of defeat was 0-3 at Arsenal and QPR. This season, we shipped 4 at Liverpool, Leicester, City, and Watford, and 5 at home against Liverpool. Tommy Doc may not have been able to stave off relegation, but he made damned sure that the 11 players he put out wouldn't roll over and quit.
He even got them to bounce back in style.

Loon

He's a smug cnut. But I sure hope Karma comes knocking...

FrantikChicken

This was so embarrassing. 10+ years ago when Liverpool had a relatively poor squad, even when finishing around 6th-7th in the league, their team always put up a fight against us, always tried to make it difficult.

Our team today was happy to be bent over. It’s just unacceptable. Surely protests are in order at this point?

Martial

Bruno saying the difference is they are fighting for the title and we are fighting for nothing.

What about fighting for a bit of pride?
Apparently Bruno has come out and said they put loads of effort in and the reason they aren't fighting is because there's nothing to fight for?
Giving up on CL football? I've heard it all now.
Bruno needs reminding that he is fighting for the fans that show up at the stadium and that should be all the motivation he should possibly need.
Absolutely gobsmacked by Bruno's comments. He should never play for the club again. Imagine not giving a shit about performing against Liverpool as a Manchester United player.
Thought Bruno actually got what it was to be a Utd player? Doesn't bloody sound like it to me. His performances have been dog shit, especially when it matters.
I can't believe what Bruno said, it's no wonder we are in the state we are
Erm this is what he actually said:

Man Utd midfielder Bruno Fernandes, speaking to Sky Sports: "The fans don't deserve us to play this way. They deserve more from us. The way they stay and applaud us, they deserve more. We have to raise our level higher. It is what it is.

"I think everyone runs. I think there is effort from everyone. I don't think someone does not give 100%. We have to do it for ourselves, the clubs, the fans and everyone.

"We have to say things but that is kept in the dressing room. Now it is over we have to think of the next game.

"Liverpool is ready for the title. We are not. I don't need to be here saying about the difference of the level. We have to look at ourselves, from top to bottom and understand what is going wrong. We are competing until the end. Nobody can put down and think it is over. We have something to fight for."

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I just saw the highlights but what on earth was Dalot doing?

We are an absolutely disgraceful team this season.

amolbhatia50k

In 4 games against City and Liverpool we’re 14 against and 1 for.
And for all the talk of these sides being so great see how Atletico gave City a real scare. The difference is that they were organized and determined both of which we are not.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

Man Utd midfielder Bruno Fernandes, speaking to Sky Sports: "The fans don't deserve us to play this way. They deserve more from us. The way they stay and applaud us, they deserve more. We have to raise our level higher. It is what it is.

"I think everyone runs. I think there is effort from everyone. I don't think someone does not give 100%. We have to do it for ourselves, the clubs, the fans and everyone.

"We have to say things but that is kept in the dressing room. Now it is over we have to think of the next game.

"Liverpool is ready for the title. We are not. I don't need to be here saying about the difference of the level. We have to look at ourselves, from top to bottom and understand what is going wrong. We are competing until the end. Nobody can put down and think it is over. We have something to fight for."
You're expecting people on the caf to actually bother to watch the interviews in full context for themselves and not jump at the chance to attack anything they dislike at any moments notice.

LDUred

In all our years of dominance, Liverpool turned out some pretty ordinary sides with the Djimi Traores, Bruno Cheyrous, and Sean Dundees, but I can't remember many travesty-like performances among SAF's thirty wins. I mean, I think he only ended up with a marginal positive goal difference across all the games.

So, despite United generally being favourites every time they faced Liverpool, they were still made to work hard for the points even while Liverpool hadn't won the league since before the Prem had started. In fact, Liverpool would nearly always put up ferocious performances at Anfield and go to Old Trafford with something like a plan that United would have to break down.

By contrast, how many genuine drubbings have United suffered since Liverpool first won the league? It's almost becoming routine now to lose this fixture by being steamrollered.

It just indicates how gutless the players are.

Betson

This is the actual interview.

He clearly says Liverpool is fighting for the title the difference is we are fighting for nothing.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Seeing these comments, it makes sense why these players aren't trying. They know their careers are over at this club
Just wonder when will this be fully implemented, to replace almost everyone. Perhaps over 2-3 summers?

Martial

He clearly says Liverpool is fighting for the title the difference is we are fighting for nothing.
It is very clear he is talking about the difference in quality between the two squads because literally straight after that he says:

I don't need to be here saying about the difference of the level.

Which is why Sky Sports officially transcribed it as such.

Loon

He's 100% telling the truth. Smug? No player like he would touch our club at the moment.
You've missed the point I was making about his lack of grace and I think you underestimate the pull of United, turmoil or not.

Levi1

In my opinion, our entire season has been burned by Maguire. Same again today. It erodes the entire team's confidence. Its tough for me to continue watching while he and Pogba are still making the team. Theyre terrible players or in terrible form

amolbhatia50k

I don't understand why people liked Hannibal. He was just running around like a headless chicken. Kicking opponents would just bring a red card, nothing else. I know that people are desperate but still...
Sometimes when you know your opponent is better or in a better moment than you, you have to find a way to disrupt the game. Had we put out an Atleti type performance last night our fans would have been proud and rightly so.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
What is clear is that this season has been one that is a disgrace to this club. It is a disgrace that when we rightly sacked Ole, our board replaced him with Rangnick and gave him absolutely no control or authority - affectively ending our season...in November. Our weak-minded players took every opportunity to down tools and undermine Rangnick leading to the worst season in my memory of over 30 years of supporting this club. We have players at this club who have repeatedly displayed that they are not worthy of the shirt. Hopefully the future will be brighter with Ten Hag in charge, but the records will show forever that this team is the worst in Man United's premier league history. They'll always have that trophy.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
That was some good football from Liverpool. Some of those goals were sublime. There was a day we could expect that sort of thing from United. Maybe someday again.

Should DeGea have come off his line for the first two goals? It might not have done any good for the first goal but it might have caused a mistake. The second, though, was standard for the keeper to rush out and throw his body at the shooter. There are some keepers who would have snuffed that chance out.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
That was some good football from Liverpool. Some of those goals were sublime. There was a day we could expect that sort of thing from United. Maybe someday again.

Should DeGea have come off his line for the first two goals? It might not have done any good for the first goal but it might have caused a mistake. The second, though, was standard for the keeper to rush out and throw his body at the shooter. There are some keepers who would have snuffed that chance out.
Seriously? Gimme a break. None of these goals are on De Gea. They were due to our inept defenders and midfield.

Player Ratings

3.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 313 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 18% Liverpool 3:0 Man Utd
  • 17% Liverpool 5:0 Man Utd