PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Mon, 22 August 2022

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Great result. Good to see some effort for once from the players. We shouldn't go overboard because it was counter attack football with 29% possession but against one of the best.

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
Glazers out, nothing else matters. Yes Erik did amazingly well tactically but they have destroyed this club

Irrational.

No one's even mentioning the sitter that Elanga missed.

Pool didn't threaten due to how well we defended, but it could've been even more comfortable.

maximus419

That's a very valid concern, however, what makes me hopeful comes back to what ETH said about attitude. There's been an injection of new personalities, and I like what I've seen from the.

I can't see Martinez, Malacia, and when he comes in, Casemiro strolling about the pitch in any game - it's not in their nature. Add Fred (yes) to that, and that's a good number of natural fighters on the pitch - which we've sorely lacked.

Hopefully those fire up the rest like Sancho and Rashford (who worked really hard and even contested for aerial balls and won some against the CBs!!!)
Oh yes without doubt the personality is important and what utd have really lacked.

We've had too many passive players on the pitch and just a lack of leadership. Today it looked like there were 4 or 5 leaders out there and it rubs off onto the others.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
So how the bloody feck do we explain this sudden rise? From the absolute shambles 7 days ago with players jogging around to this? Players running and fighting for 90 min. And it felt kind of a fair result as well. We created a number of good chances and was unlucky not to score more. Felt really good.

That being said, Liverpool does not look like worldbeaters atm. Lots of possession but lacking some quality and creativity up front.
I hope that it was because the players knew that the fans were unhappy and the protests going on and decided that now was the time to step up and make a statement.

We played with so much conviction and passion (vomits). I fecking loved it. Even if Liverpool had scored a second or even a sneaky last minute winner I would have been proud of the team tonight. I just hope they hold on to whatever new found confidence they've discovered and build on tonight's result.

Martinez and Varane were so solid. A real understanding and trust of one another. It made the midfields jobs a bit easier knowing that they were protected by them. With Casemiro coming in as a defensive shield I think we're going to be pretty solid down the middle of the pitch.

Our one touch passing was great and really broke Liverpool apart on the counter. They were chasing shadows most of the game instead of a scared United player with nobody to pass to. We were getting to some balls that six months ago these players would have given up trying to get.

Flying_Heckfish

We actually played some football! Lovely stuff. And then we showed the grit as well when we needed to.

I was worried about Rashford moving to the left because of the requited workrate, but he did step up.

Some great performances all round, the new signings all looked good. Now let's get some momentum going!!

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Do wonder if we are seeing a really big fall off from VVD. He actually looked drunk today, not at the races, but this is not the first time. TAA What is it with the indulgence of his attempted Hollywood balls all the time to compensate for lack of defensive frailties.

Amsterdam Devil

No one's even mentioning the sitter that Elanga missed.

Pool didn't threaten due to how well we defended, but it could've been even more comfortable.
And some good saves from Allison. We should have scored more before Liverpool got back in the game a little. Great performance, really enjoyed that today.

tjb

First league win against Liverpool since 2018. Really needed this.
We've always been able to win games like this one off against City and Pool because we actually have talent to do so.

What we haven't yet done, and I'm anticipating we do it, is start controlling these gamed or going back and forth. That 100% has to do with the midfield. Even one poor technical player can mess that up in midfield, so getting in Casemiro and partnering him with anyone by Mctominay should help immensely in that area.

The reason we won and haven't been able to perform well in a lot of these type of games since last season is because we haven't been able to press from the front( for obvious reasons). Cr7 didn't start tonight, and actually having consisten pressing energy( supported by Bruno) really haped us in this game.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
There is hope for us after all. Now lets get Antony and we'll have two proper wingers.

The M&M on the left side was great.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
If Mctominah had vision he would be so much better. Works so hard but just doesnt have the passing range of a top midfielder.

I would still keep him as a sub.

Polar

That’s what we want in every game. Heart, passion and a will to win.
A tight match, but I think we deserved to win in the end.

The players have now experienced the reguired standard and if this becomes the norm, we will take huge steps this season. The system will only get better and better.

Great to watch the attitude from Bruno and the Dutch newcomers and also watch Elanga challenge opposite players upfront. We need more of that from Sancho and Rash

Would’ve been very worried if I was Klopp. First 30m was the worst I’ve seen from his team. Off course lot of cred to ETH and his bold team selection, but its almost unbelievable to watch Liverpool start with Henderson, Elliot and Milner in a midfield three. That composition is almost bottom half PL standard :lol:

Lyng

We where a team transformed tonight. Every single player on that field in the beginning where fighting. Was so pleasantly surprised by Rashford tonight. Varane - Martinez - Malacia. My goodness what a defense. De Gea clearly had a point to prove.
I dont want to see Maguire or Shaw anywhere near this team again.

NoLogo

What I really liked about the game tonight, even if it's clear we aren't the technically most gifted side in attack, the tam looked like a team, they fought for each other, helped each other out in defense and didn't flap their arms around and moaned at each other like usual.

Fts 74

Wow what a performance we badly needed that.

Reading the match thread when the teams were announced my God looks very silly now!

Martinez and Malacis outstanding.

Scholsey2004

Massive, massive relief. Everyone was expecting a bad result so to beat Liverpool is a massive lift. The counter attacks were very good today, particularly with Martial on the pitch. That midfield just isnt capable of dominating possession though, hopefully Casemiro can have an impact in that respect because we cant go all season relying on end to end football. The centre backs were cramping up by the 70th minute with the workload because we cant get control of the ball for any length of time.

SamVimes

Manchester United ran 95.6km against Brentford.

This evening they managed 113.78km and completed 155 sprints. That's 51 sprints collectively more than Liverpool's players who ran 110.6km in total.

Amsterdam Devil

Do wonder if we are seeing a really big fall off from VVD. He actually looked drunk today, not at the races, but this is not the first time. TAA What is it with the indulgence of his attempted Hollywood balls all the time to compensate for lack of defensive frailties.
Yeah there’s something wrong at Liverpool, VVD and Milner arguing a couple of times. Klopp’s seven year itch? He had that at Dortmund. Great times for us coming with Ten Hag!

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
The lads need to keep working but I'm sure ETH will be on their arses with that.

Was so funny to see the post match and Roy buzzing :lol:

Bulldog United

I've already admitted that myself - luckily I was wrong. If you bother to read this far back, you might as well check if I've written anything about it myself since then. I agree Malacia and Martinez were the 2 best. Malacia was my Motm.
You can't say MOTM anymore. It's POTM. Stop being sexist.

Utuhu

Is it just me or Casemiro arrival rejuvenated the team.

fergosaurus

That was such a good performance. Credit to the players for putting in so much effort and desire for 90 minutes after the Brentford debacle. ten Hag got the tactics spot on.

Laurencio

That was brilliant. Fought hard, tackled hard and took the game to them. They were poor and we will need more quality against the likes of City, but this is a very good start.

Varane was absolutely brilliant and he and Martinez were great together. There is no way Maguire should find himself back in the team anytime soon - they complimented each other beautifully. Our midfield had fight today, but also a decent amount of quality. Eriksen is such a class player, and those set pieces alone will be very useful this season. Bruno finally showed some proper fighting spirit and not just complaining, and even McT put in a quality shift today.

Positively surprised by Rashford and Martial - who showed technique we haven't seen from them in quite some time. Martial especially showed off some brilliant touches. Sancho did well, but there's more coming from him - just scratching the surface of what he can do.

I think all our new arrivals did a very good job today, and I can't wait to have Casemiro in there as well.

Tactically I thought Ten Hag got it spot on, and I am very happy to see the progress we are making. If we can build on this and add some more quality in attack, at right back and add some depth in midfield - I think we have a very solid foundation to build on going forwards.

Todd

This result was as shocking as last week's result. Nice that the shock came from positive things.

Good work rate and limited mental errors- something positive to build on going forward.

Fully Fledged

According to the stats Liverpool had 17 shots to our 12, yet cannot recall a single big chance bar the goal that wasn’t created by our own players.

Should’ve won by more:devil:
No David stood up today. First half we dominated but we did let them back in to it and DDG was back to his best.

tjb

The intensity from our back line was immense today. Bruno's workrate ( which is always good) was also fantastic. It shows how lackadaisical Shaw and Maguire have been with us. We've won games against good teams since they've both been here, but them not playing today really highlighted how casual we are on and off the ball in our half when they are there.

Eriksen may not be the best person to play as an 8 in these games and of course Mctominay, as much as he fought, is just not very good. Casemiro coming into the side today might have seen us dominate Liverpool imo. Even if we don't sign FDJ, having a rotation of Eriksen and Fred partnering him will work wonders for our ability to play the ball through midfield, dealing with counters and our pressing.

Player Ratings

7.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 583 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Man Utd 0:5 Liverpool
  • 12% Man Utd 0:3 Liverpool