PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Mon, 22 August 2022

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Amazing how their 2 best chances were our own goal attempts.
Martinez was a weird kick but wtf was Bruno doing :lol:

MalaysianRed7

What an excellent game of football. Firstly, a masterful team selection by Ten Hag. Taking Maguire, Shaw and Ronaldo, three supposed team leaders, out of the team in favour of quicker, more dynamic players was ingenious.

As for the players, each one was wonderful and I could eulogise about their individual performances for a long while, but it’s 5:35am here in Malaysia where I’m back for summer, so I’ll keep it brief - Sancho, Rashford and Martial were electric, Bruno and McTominay showed immense commitment, and De Gea and his back 4, especially the centre backs, were absolutely remarkable.

An excellent victory, one of the most inspiring since Fergie retired. Hope it acts as not only a season starter, but a career starter for our manger in terms of his time here.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
what’s this feeling? i’m watching them walk off the pitch at full time and i feel something that’s like the opposite of shame.
Is it.....pride? Nah that's not it, what's it called? Ah yes, less shame!

DickDastardly

It was actually pretty simple, and i'm glad that Erik is obviously a smart man and saw it after only two games.

You get Harry Maguire off the field, along with his nervousness, lack of awareness and - to put it mildly - shitness, and put real football players instead, you get what we just saw.

De Gea looked more comfortable.
Martinez was immense.
Malacia is a fecking huge upgrade on Shaw. The grit and will is what makes a difference.

But the most important part was getting rid of Maguire.

There was no hand pointing, diddling over the ball (except Scotty, fecking release it sooner), panicking, getting caught in the middle of the field.....

And the way they upped each other and big'ed them selves up! Proper fecking team that was!

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Stormzy joining in on Sky Sports :lol:

scottser

sancho laying milner on his hole while van dijk did his dance to 'tiger feet' by mud is certainly one to remember.

AttackAttackAttack

What I really liked about the game tonight, even if it's clear we aren't the technically most gifted side in attack, the tam looked like a team, they fought for each other, helped each other out in defense and didn't flap their arms around and moaned at each other like usual.
I saw a lot of high fives and cheering each other on. I don’t recall the last time I’ve seen that throughout a game with this team. Long may it continue!

Moonwalker

Easy to say with hindsight, but that was a really serendipitous fixture for us. If we played Fulham there, or almost any other club, a win wouldn't have meant nearly as much as this, and we needed a defibrillator after the horrors of the first few games.

On top of that, Liverpool aren't in a very good spot either, so that worked for us as well.

lex talionis

Comments on RAWK are pretty sober, considering the circumstances. I've picked out one, but others are along these lines:

"Last season has caught with us big time. 9 players out injured, the fit players looking knackered and out of sorts, and our bench threadbare.

Big challenge ahead for Jurgen to grind out some wins and get points on the board. Bragging rights for Utd for a change, and typical of them to come good against us. If we were thinking of bringing a midfielder in before the deadline, that game just sealed it."

Robertd0803

Was result free and just checked the result.

YYYYEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
GET IN THERE YESSSSSSSSSSS

Laurencio

It was actually pretty simple, and i'm glad that Erik is obviously a smart man and saw it after only two games.

You get Harry Maguire off the field, along with his nervousness, lack of awareness and - to put it mildly - shitness, and put real football players instead, you get what we just saw.

De Gea looked more comfortable.
Martinez was immense.
Malacia is a fecking huge upgrade on Shaw. The grit and will is what makes a difference.

But the most important part was getting rid of Maguire.

There was no hand pointing, diddling over the ball (except Scotty, fecking release it sooner), panicking, getting caught in the middle of the field.....

And the way they upped each other and big'ed them selves up! Proper fecking team that was!
13M, scouted by Ten Hag, and he's THAT good. I love the kid already, and he's been here for some 10 minutes :lol:

Jeffthered

Come on!!!!

Great TEAM performance and let's hope they take some well earned confidence from this. Next game is vital. At least one more key signing and a victory next week and this season has potential.

GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED :devil:
This.

The first time I have genuinely enjoyed watching us play in a very long time. Great calls by Ten Hag, dropping Maguire and CR7... so, lots, so, so, so much to work on, but a very, very enjoyable night.

Dan_F

Post game has been quite the watch tonight on Sky. Hopefully some Klopp bitterness to finish it.

It's B Rubble

I’m at Disney world and a father dressed both his daughter and son in FULL LIVERPOOL KITS in the 95 degree weather at Animal Kingdom. Then THANKFULLY saw a small kid with the new United shirt on, gave him a cheer, humble as could be but his pops loved it. :devil:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Did Klopp really just claim Rashford was offside?? :lol: :lol:

Ludens the Red

Genuinely in shock at the level of performance tonight. Really hope this is the energy and workrate levels we have going forward. It has to be become normal. They’ve shown they have it in them so no excuses from here.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
fecking brilliant. Best game in years from us. The right spirit, energy, and created so many chances. That's what I want to see from Rashford and Sancho.

Malacia is a beast. Varane an absolute monster today. Martinez class. Dalot probably his best ever performance. Even de Gea had an on day again.

Midfield battled and did well enough, a lot to improve there but they worked hard at leastm

Martial when he came on as well, kept turning van dijk again and again. Brilliant. Hope he stays fit.

careca07

Ok after so many years of being fed up watching us…. that was quite something

and imagine the buzz in the squad after that performance and in pops Casemiro to say “ok if I join?”

Sir Erik ten Hag

So much relief in winning that. Now back ETH with some more men for this side.

Want to see running distances etc and compare to our other games
We ran 113.78 km and completed 155 sprints (51 more than Liverpool). Liverpool ran a total of 110.6 km.

Guess I won't have to dish out some after-match additional running again to our players like last time.

largelyworried

Christ. So much to unpack there. Most importantly, the commitment and effort were at the required level, finally. Not every game can have the white heat of a United-Liverpool game, but in terms of effort and intensity, we need that every week.

Varane and Martinez looked great together, a very natural pairing. Varane looked like the leader we never saw last season and Martinez was well up for the battle. Malacia was really good too, definitely ahead of Shaw for the next few games.

Up front we lacked a bit of quality on the ball but made up for it with effort. Rashford, Elanga, Sancho and Martial all worked hard without being consistently dangerous.

Midfield I think we were good enough, obviously, but not great. McT worked hard and Bruno had some moments early on but almost scored the most crazy own goal. Eriksen was quiet. Casemiro can't get that visa quick enough though, he would have made the second half a lot more bearable.

There's obviously a lot to work on, but honestly, it's such a change to see the lads come off and feel proud of what they did, rather than feeling like they put in maybe 80% effort at most. Huge boost for ETH.

Bobski

We ran 113.78 km and completed 155 sprints (51 more than Liverpool). Liverpool ran a total of 110.6 km.

Guess I won't have to dish out some after-match additional running again to our players like last time.
Any individual numbers?

SirScholes

Malacia has earned that spot

what I love is seeing martinez and malacia fight for their manager
I want his other signings for the same reason.

They’ve set the benchmark now, no reason why they can’t graft this hard every week
Bring in a tricky winger and another midfielder to help against defensive set ups please.

I hope De Jong was watching, sort of game that shows we are a team you want to play for

lex talionis

A glorious win over Liverpool that will live long in lore and tonight is a not to celebrate with our women, drink and song. But what I like about this win is that ETH threw out philosophy to get the win we badly needed. There will be a day when his principles can be put into action, but that day was not today.

Player Ratings

7.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 583 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Man Utd 0:5 Liverpool
  • 12% Man Utd 0:3 Liverpool