PL D FA Premier League

Liverpool 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 17 December 2023

justsomebloke

This.

I'm pleased that we were organised, more so than I have seen all season. But we played little football.

Mainoo, Varane and Evans were excellent. Amrabat and SMT were better, a good game for the both of them.

Bruno doesn't play next game imo. This first XI should be our starting XI. We should aim to remain solid and keep that attitude. Not great to watch, but I would take this as a foundation.

Rasmus needs time, patience and a goal.
Couldn't disagree more. Amrabat was IMO absolutely atrocious, McT was poor and we had basically no attacking game at all. The whole game was a resounding argument for why Bruno needs to get back in the lineup pronto. Just because we stole a point at Anfield, that doesn't mean we were seeing something that's going to bring points against other opponents.

DavelinaJolie

It's pretty tedious that after days of people saying Utd would be handily beat, they are now complaining that Utd played defensively as if they should have gone out there and played suicidal football (speaking of the media generally).

Liverpool couldn't even create any really good chances, at least Utd had one they should have scored from.

Also despite the state of the bench and the 9th CB pairing of the season united not getting the injury excuse like Newcastle do.

Last edited:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Yes.
Gravenberch most snubbed their nose up at in the summer
Endo is not much good
Nunez is hit or miss like a faster Andy carol
They’re left back?
Arnold is ok going forward as a right back, not amazing defending and gets moved into midfield.

they’ve got Alison, salah, their midfielder I can’t spell and van dijk which is a good spine. The rest are hardly world beaters and their benched looks almost as bad as ours

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Some thoughts on the game last night -

1) A 0-0 away at Anfield is a great result considering the season we're having. We also had the best chances throughout the game which is encouraging even if we were on the back foot for the majority of the 90 mins.

2) There we absolutely no egos in the starting 11 last night. No Bruno, no Rashers, no Martial, no Maguire, (you get the point). And I think we benefitted from it. It was a low quality game, but the 11 that were playing last night gave me the feeling of a band of brothers in the trenches, sticking together.

3) Amrabat was awful - too slow and his fitness isn't up to scratch. But for the period we were actually in there half (early part of the 2nd half) he was great - winning the ball and anticipating play. So there's something there to work with.

4) Mainoo was class - big future. I'd actually like to see Mainoo and Hannibal start in midfield together, Hannibal to be the harrier / presser and Mainoo to be the deep dictator.

5) Really cool battle between Diaz and Antony - they almost cancelled each other out. Antony was great in the defensive aspect of the game, but needed to be braver in the attacking phase.

6) Dalot's red card was a joke - we keep on getting the shit rub of the green (not sure what the opposite is). Oliver is a cnut and should really have sent Nunez off first half.

7) McTominay was pretty poor but he set up the glorious chance for Hojlund but I'm glad he's in the squad. He loves playing for the shirt and it feels like there's that isn't a given with the rest of the team.

8) Licha, Maguire, Malacia, Casemiro, Eriksen, Mount, Sancho, Bruno were all missing yesterday. Most of that list has been missing for the majority of the season - that's almost an 11. We've done well to stay in the top 6-7 places with an injury list that long of players who would be in the starting 11. (Yes, Sancho and Bruno aren't injured).

9) I like Hojlund, but EtH needs to get him on some individual finishing regime to keep him calm. He just needs to take a deep breath in the moment rather than shooting on instinct. He has all the characteristics of a striker that can make it big, just the mental calmness is missing.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Would have taken the 0-0 before kick off and maybe we should even have won it. We really need to appeal that red card for Dalot though. Not only was the initial throw in decision wrong but Oliver was inconsistent, Donkey Nunez should have been sent off much earlier for the same offense if he truly thought Dalot deserved red. If this had happened to a Liverpool player Klopp would be in orbit with rage.

Mainoo though, awesome, i'd love to see him starting alongside Amrabat instead of McTom but i do also understand that we need to avoid over using the lad at only 18.

Last edited:

BorisManUtd

Our first league draw comes at Anfield and I can't compain about that, especially after our last result there. Maybe more concerning thing is we seem able to get result vs big sides mostly when we let them have posession and then try to win it on counter. That seemed the same under Mourinho and Ole.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
The team played with good discipline and deserved a point against a better team. Of the starting XI, I could count only two who are definitely good enough for the levels we need to be at (Shaw and Varane), one debatable (Onana), and three who may or may not get there (Mainoo, Hojlund and Garnacho). The rest are clearly not really good enough so a point is good considering.

Overall the team is not in good shape. Rashford was our only good attacker last season and his form has deserted him leaving us almost totally toothless in attack. The likes of Dalot, Amrabat, McTominay, and Evans are good squad players who try hard but they are not really good enough. The same really applies to Antony.

Last edited:

grahamo

Happy with that point. Michael Oliver terrible as usual when he gets anywhere near a United game. You just know as soon as You hear he's in charge there will be a United red card or a penalty given against us. He shows again just how biased he is.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
The bitterness of them is laughable.

Before the game: “we’re so confident of beating the worst united side in the PL ever”

After the game: “they parked the bus and are happy with a point”

Which one is it lads, should they have gone for it and got hammered?

The 34 shots is the biggest reason why stats and xg are complete bollox if used in isolation.

Liverpool players approached the game with arrogance and complacency and in the end were lucky that Hojlund and Garnacho stuffed the best chances of the game imo.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Some thoughts on the game last night -

9) I like Hojlund, but EtH needs to get him on some individual finishing regime to keep him calm. He just needs to take a deep breath in the moment rather than shooting on instinct. He has all the characteristics of a striker that can make it big, just the mental calmness is missing.
not sure if its coaching really, its down to form and confidence , if he had a few EPL goals already he would have put this away. He just needs to get off the mark in the EPL, a scrappy deflected goal off his arse would do. I am not concerned about him, he does things right, has a good attitude and is physically a beast , the team just need to create more for him.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
My mention of XG was to highlight the fact that Pool had little quality to their chances - whereas last time they were scoring every time it was near the right direction, this time they weren't taking good shots and Onana had some easy saves. 34 shots for an XG of less than 3? 8 on target for an XG of less than 3? Our defense was doing a great job of making it difficult for them, and the XG reinforced what I was watching on the television.
Whatever floats your boat mate.

Used properly it’s a great way for coaches to look back over time, identify trends and opportunities for improvement.

But games are there for entertainment, to be watched and enjoyed. I can tell by watching that Lpools attacking threats were pretty tame without stats.

Another example, for me, of the punditrification of fans, along with people droning on about patterns of play or whatever catchphrases they pick up off the tv.

But if that’s how you enjoy your football, that’s fine. It’s not for me. But apologies if I came across as having a dig at you. Definitely wasn’t the intent.

Highlyevolved

Said it for years now. Michael Oliver must have been traumatised as a child with the success of United, and he’s on a mission to get revenge.

Whenever there’s a 50/50 decision it goes against United.

Then in addition there’s the controversial decisions he makes. Such as the Dalot one, and Nunez only getting a yellow for an elbow to the chest.

The man shouldn’t be allowed to referee United games.

Zed 101

Despite gaining a point, this was the worst game I have ever watched, it was like watching 2 teams who had only been playing football for a couple of days. A few posters and pundits saying we defended well, that is a stretch, there were odd moments but any decent team would have torn us apart, truth is Liverpool were almost as poor as we were.

I wanted an Amrabat Mainoo midfield, and man I have never seen a footballer look as leggy as Amrabat did, if we do not get some players back fit soon things are just going to get worse.

The danger is the media spin that this was something more than it was, it was a good draw for us all things considered, but it wasn't a herculean effort it was just 2 teams incapable of scoring

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Happy with that point. Michael Oliver terrible as usual when he gets anywhere near a United game. You just know as soon as You hear he's in charge there will be a United red card or a penalty given against us. He shows again just how biased he is.
The double yellow for Dalot was ridiculous.
Years ago, I still remember Joe Hart, for MCFC, practically headbutted him and he did nothing.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We’d be top 3 with Kane or Osimhen
Kane would've been ideal, but it would've been papering over the cracks.
Bayern were ready to receive a top quality finisher and I think Kane made the right choice. He'll break records and win big trophies with Bayern. I think he is 30, so he needed to go to a club which would allow him to win trophies.
At MUFC, he would not have won any trophies and it pains me to say that.
We are a shadow of what we were.

Jeffthered

Couldn't disagree more. Amrabat was IMO absolutely atrocious, McT was poor and we had basically no attacking game at all. The whole game was a resounding argument for why Bruno needs to get back in the lineup pronto. Just because we stole a point at Anfield, that doesn't mean we were seeing something that's going to bring points against other opponents.
Ok. First of all, I was responding to this post : 'Poor performance from both teams, but a draw is a good result for United'
It was a good game for SMT and Amrabat because they did their job, closed down and nullified the Liverpool midfield, who weren't great anyway. But they did it. I haven't seen that too often this season.

We're an average team, with many average players. A point away at Liverpool is a good result for us, unfortunately. You put Bruno back in there, and the whole game , especially as a defensive unit, changes.

Our issue though, is that our forwards are really, really, limited, either current form or underlying quality. We don't worry teams, not at all.

Infra-red

Despite gaining a point, this was the worst game I have ever watched, it was like watching 2 teams who had only been playing football for a couple of days. A few posters and pundits saying we defended well, that is a stretch, there were odd moments but any decent team would have torn us apart, truth is Liverpool were almost as poor as we were.

I wanted an Amrabat Mainoo midfield, and man I have never seen a footballer look as leggy as Amrabat did, if we do not get some players back fit soon things are just going to get worse.

The danger is the media spin that this was something more than it was, it was a good draw for us all things considered, but it wasn't a herculean effort it was just 2 teams incapable of scoring
Generally agree. Both teams played pretty badly and the result was far better for us than for them. We didn't look particularly well organised defensively, but I did feel that we showed a determination in defence that has been absent in many games this season, which was encouraging. We're not very good, but I don't get the sense that the players have downed tools (contrary to what some of the media narrative prior to the game would have you believe).

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
The bitterness of them is laughable.

Before the game: “we’re so confident of beating the worst united side in the PL ever”

After the game: “they parked the bus and are happy with a point”

Which one is it lads, should they have gone for it and got hammered?

The 34 shots is the biggest reason why stats and xg are complete bollox if used in isolation.

Liverpool players approached the game with arrogance and complacency and in the end were lucky that Hojlund and Garnacho stuffed the best chances of the game imo.
Read the posts saying that apart from Salah and Anderson, no Liverpool player is better than ours

justsomebloke

Ok. First of all, I was responding to this post : 'Poor performance from both teams, but a draw is a good result for United'
It was a good game for SMT and Amrabat because they did their job, closed down and nullified the Liverpool midfield, who weren't great anyway. But they did it. I haven't seen that too often this season.

We're an average team, with many average players. A point away at Liverpool is a good result for us, unfortunately. You put Bruno back in there, and the whole game , especially as a defensive unit, changes.

Our issue though, is that our forwards are really, really, limited, either current form or underlying quality. We don't worry teams, not at all.
Just because we had a clean sheet doesn't mean the midfield did a good defensive job. SMT and Amrabat did not have any success closing down the Liverpool midfield, who were on the contrary able to play through them with ease and generate sustained offensive pressure throughout the game, as their ridiculously large number of shots attest to. They just weren't able to penetrate our box, because there were at least 8 players packed into and around it as soon as Liverpool had established ball control in the attacking 1/3. We hardly even tried to contest midfield control, or the wide areas for that matter, when out of possession.

kerrygold

Supports
united
I just dont see what McT does besides pop up in the box from time to time. He made 1 one touch pass yesterday. I was shocked he was able to pull it off.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Must say I have enjoyed the bitterness from their fans and the media today that we dared to actually set up defensively and not allow them to hammer us.

If we were in a title race with them, I would expect to play the same way away at Anfield. If Jose Chelsea had played that way yesterday, the media would have been labelling another Jose masterclass.

Maticmaker

I thought, that with a bit of luck thrown in, it was a job well done bearing in mind last years result with (at least on paper) a better team than ETH was able to put out yesterday.

All the praise goes to the defenders plus Garnacho and Antony who did try and contribute with defensive duties. Once again we struggled in midfield, but the more I see of Kobbie Mainoo the more I believe we have a top player in the making.

However Keano was right with his post match comments that Liverpool (effectively) lost that game not because of United's endeavours in defence, but that their forward players missed umpteen chances and their decision-making, going in on, goal was pathetic.

FerociousCorgis

I thought, that with a bit of luck thrown in, it was a job well done bearing in mind last years result with (at least on paper) a better team than ETH was able to put out yesterday.

All the praise goes to the defenders plus Garnacho and Antony who did try and contribute with defensive duties. Once again we struggled in midfield, but the more I see of Kobbie Mainoo the more I believe we have a top player in the making.

However Keano was right with his post match comments that Liverpool (effectively) lost that game not because of United's endeavours in defence, but that their forward players missed umpteen chances and their decision-making, going in on, goal was pathetic.
yeah defense was a good showing, but as you said the quality out there yesterday was pathetic. Had to be the worse quality seen in a pool-united game that i have ever seen. Im very pleased with the point away to liverpool, but feck me if that was a bleak showing. A chance or two in the second half doesnt make it that much better of a showing performance wise.

Mainoo once again coming in to a not easy game and looking like he belongs. Love to see it.

Phil Osophy

Decent display yesterday in our current circumstances, exactly what we needed to do. There was a moment in the second half where we launched 3 counter-attacks in few minutes and Liverpool were wide open, I even thought we could end up winning the game.

Happy with the point and even more considering how flawed Liverpool were all around the field. I had a bad feeling about them winning the league with City going sabbatical but after what I saw yesterday I'm not worried anymore.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Don't know why Klopp and VVD were moaning. It wasn't United job to make things easy for Liverpool.

Oranges038

Was talking to a Liverpool fan at lunch.

Even they said the results have been papering over the cracks for them over the last few weeks. I'd tend to agree with that. They still thought they would batter Utd, but didn't think Utd would set up like they did.

Crying about the Utd set up, crying about the way they play, the quality of their 100m+ midfield and 100m striker, Klopp doesn't have a clue what he's trying to do etc etc. Thinks Endo is shite. Reckons they are going to signing that Brazilian lad Andre and he'll sort the whole lot out.

Anyway, got a good laugh out of all that, something quite pleasing about playing shite but still picking up a draw.

Zed 101

I think I recall the first time I heard a manager/player complaining about a team parking the bus it was Arsene Wenger after drawing at Stoke, I remember thinking about how ludicrous the statement was and how ridiculous it made him look, and every time I hear similar my opinion has remained the same, it is like defending is an unacceptable part of the game and that they expect every team to go toe-to-toe with them just so they can play the football they want to, it just blows my mind when they continue to spout such nonsense but then they are footballers I should not expect them to actually have any comprehension of what they actually share

RedDevil@84

Was talking to a Liverpool fan at lunch.

Even they said the results have been papering over the cracks for them over the last few weeks. I'd tend to agree with that. They still thought they would batter Utd, but didn't think Utd would set up like they did.

Crying about the Utd set up, crying about the way they play, the quality of their 100m+ midfield and 100m striker, Klopp doesn't have a clue what he's trying to do etc etc. Thinks Endo is shite. Reckons they are going to signing that Brazilian lad Andre and he'll sort the whole lot out.

Anyway, got a good laugh out of all that, something quite pleasing about playing shite but still picking up a draw.
Think Klopp moaned something like this that United didn't play to Liverpool's strengths when Ole's United drew at Anfield.

Edit: I think he has also moaned that United played a different team than he expected in some other year.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
It's pretty tedious that after days of people saying Utd would be handily beat, they are now complaining that Utd played defensively as if they should have gone out there and played suicidal football (speaking of the media generally).

Liverpool couldn't even create any really good chances, at least Utd had one they should have scored from.

Also despite the state of the bench and the 9th CB pairing of the season united not getting the injury excuse like Newcastle do.
did I hear right on Sky that we've had to change the CB pairing 41 times? no wonder the defence is such a a mess at times. Must now stick with Varane and Evans until Martinez is back (does anyone know where he is recovery wise?)

Garnacho's Shoelaces

Don't know why Klopp and VVD were moaning. It wasn't United job to make things easy for Liverpool.
To be honest, they've struggled this season but the trusty old formula of contentious VAR decision + flukey winner + rival team rolling over = tItLe CoNtEnDeRs + mEnTaLiTy MoNsTeRs.

When United didn't fall into that trap, they've thrown their toys out of the pram. We set up on the transition. That didn't suit them so standard reply for people who don't understand football, is "anti-football" and "park the bus" as if this isn't how we regularly played away from home in Europe under SAF. Hard to break down, punchy on the counter.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Would have taken the 0-0 before kick off and maybe we should even have won it. We really need to appeal that red card for Dalot though. Not only was the initial throw in decision wrong but Oliver was inconsistent, Donkey Nunez should have been sent off much earlier for the same offense if he truly thought Dalot deserved red. If this had happened to a Liverpool player Klopp would be in orbit with rage.

Mainoo though, awesome, i'd love to see him starting alongside Amrabat instead of McTom but i do also understand that we need to avoid over using the lad at only 18.
I don't think you can appeal two yellows... although I'm ready to be corrected

bosskeano

wrong....Amrabat was poor the first half, ffs who wasn't for United, but clearly was better the second half. McT was poor from start to finish simply b/c he cant fecking pass a ball under pressure.

Bruno is the entire reason why we are always so exposed defensively bc he lacks discipline which leaves the midfield wide open PLUS he's extremely careless wiht the ball

our defensive shape was quite good actually yesterday despite Liverpool trying to alter team shape multiple times but we made it difficult for them because we were better thru the middle

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
To be honest, they've struggled this season but the trusty old formula of contentious VAR decision + flukey winner + rival team rolling over = tItLe CoNtEnDeRs + mEnTaLiTy MoNsTeRs.

When United didn't fall into that trap, they've thrown their toys out of the pram. We set up on the transition. That didn't suit them so standard reply for people who don't understand football, is "anti-football" and "park the bus" as if this isn't how we regularly played away from home in Europe under SAF. Hard to break down, punchy on the counter.
What's with the case crap, all it does is make your post unreadable and a such makes your limited posting allowance even smaller

Gordon Godot

wrong....Amrabat was poor the first half, ffs who wasn't for United, but clearly was better the second half. McT was poor from start to finish simply b/c he cant fecking pass a ball under pressure.

Bruno is the entire reason why we are always so exposed defensively bc he lacks discipline which leaves the midfield wide open PLUS he's extremely careless wiht the ball

our defensive shape was quite good actually yesterday despite Liverpool trying to alter team shape multiple times but we made it difficult for them because we were better thru the middle
Amrabat was awful, : 57% passing accuracy, one duel won from eight and possession lost 16 times. Fernandes yesterday would have given the ball away constantly, falllen over a lot, moaned at referee and got booked or sent off. He isnt the answer in these games and never has been, which is why we cant beat top 8 teams

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 302 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 13% Liverpool 4:0 Man Utd
  • 13% Liverpool 3:0 Man Utd