PL D FA Premier League

Liverpool 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 17 December 2023

Oranges038

Think Klopp moaned something like this that United didn't play to Liverpool's strengths when Ole's United drew at Anfield.

Edit: I think he has also moaned that United played a different team than he expected in some other year.
Vaguely remember something like. No point in moaning about how the other team setup. No idea why would you expect a team to set up to play to your strengths.

I think I recall the first time I heard a manager/player complaining about a team parking the bus it was Arsene Wenger after drawing at Stoke, I remember thinking about how ludicrous the statement was and how ridiculous it made him look, and every time I hear similar my opinion has remained the same, it is like defending is an unacceptable part of the game and that they expect every team to go toe-to-toe with them just so they can play the football they want to, it just blows my mind when they continue to spout such nonsense but then they are footballers I should not expect them to actually have any comprehension of what they actually share
Wenger hated those teams because he allowed his Arsenal side to become weak and soft to the point where Stoke and the likes could just bully them physically and get a result.

crossy1686

career ending
That's dreadful. The whole point of sarcasm is lost with the /s.
It is like writing a joke and ending it with "This is a joke".
:lol: agree, but I think it's just to make it easier for people to understand. Sarcasm is one of those things that doesn't come across well written down, but like you said, usually it's self explanatory.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
That's dreadful. The whole point of sarcasm is lost with the /s.
It is like writing a joke and ending it with "This is a joke".
And even more so when you have to read it 10x for it to make any sense!

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Amrabat was awful, : 57% passing accuracy, one duel won from eight and possession lost 16 times. Fernandes yesterday would have given the ball away constantly, falllen over a lot, moaned at referee and got booked or sent off. He isnt the answer in these games and never has been, which is why we cant beat top 8 teams
Bruno in yesterday's game would have done about as well as McTominay defensively, but would have actually been 100x better as a creative #10. We could have possibly scored on counter with Bruno instead of McT, pissing scousers into the galactic.

The problem is when Bruno plays with McT (or another midfielder poor at defense, like Mount). Bruno with two holding midfielders is a very different story. Unfortunately, Ten Hag never does it, so I guess we will never know if we could have had nice things.

redmanx

Last on MOTD. Bet they had every planned out for a n easy Liverpool win.
If Liverpool had won by a big margin you can bet your last pound it would have been the first match, MOTD love Liverpool and treat Klop like hes some sort of genius.

USREDEVIL

It was dodgy af for the first 20-30 min. Then things cooled down, anfield went quiet as their big win wasn't coming, and we had a couple of really good chances but Nachos and Hojlund couldnt deliver. But great tie (sounds weird but it was).

Wow 12-0 corners. Says a lot about how often we were near their box.

justsomebloke

wrong....Amrabat was poor the first half, ffs who wasn't for United, but clearly was better the second half. McT was poor from start to finish simply b/c he cant fecking pass a ball under pressure.

Bruno is the entire reason why we are always so exposed defensively bc he lacks discipline which leaves the midfield wide open PLUS he's extremely careless wiht the ball

our defensive shape was quite good actually yesterday despite Liverpool trying to alter team shape multiple times but we made it difficult for them because we were better thru the middle
Yeah, that must be how we limited them to only 34 shots.

Amrabat was pretty atrocious throughout (though worse in the first than in the second), and that may have been if not the worst then certainly the most limited midfield display we've seen this season. We packed the box, cleared well, and got a bit lucky. That's where that point came from. We had no midfield control at all, and almost no creativity (a couple of moments from Mainoo aside). A completely inferior side giving everything with their backs against the wall. Which is admirable and I'm stoked about not losing, but let's not pretend it's something it isn't. Such as a way forward.

Last edited:

USREDEVIL

Amrabat was pretty atrocious throughout (though worse in the first than in the second), and that may have been if not the worst then certainly the most limited midfield display we've seen this season. We packed the box, cleared well, and got a bit lucky. That's where that point came from. We had no midfield control at all, and almost no creativity (a couple of moments from Mainoo aside). A completely inferior side giving everything with their backs against the wall. Which is admirable and I'm stoked about not losing, but let's not pretend it's something it isn't. Such as a way forward.
TLDR

bosskeano

no argument there abougt the midfield and no creativity....Mainoo was better than the other two which is saying something considering his age and lack of experience

everyone talks about the forwards and lack of supply for Hojlund....it's the midfield that needs a massive overhaul and not with a clown like Mount

we need two or three guys brought in that can actually play...a guy like Douglas Luiz from Villa would be brilliant same as Dourcoure or Onana from Everton

Klopp has gotten away with it for years without having a creative CM but more so having workhorses who are willing runners and pressers so the front three can just focus on scoring and attacking

bosskeano

34 shots....most of them were shit attempts. only close one was from TAA later in the match. Set pieces is where they were the most threatening.

Best real goal scoring chance in the match fell to Hojlund

croadyman

We win that with a proper striker. Crazy.
Yeah that is the niggling feeling,not surprised Rasmus snatched at it though as so much pressure on him. This is why we needed to sign experienced striker first

croadyman

Honestly a very unexpected but nevertheless solid defensive performance with organization and grit given our recent lack of both, especially in big games. I'm actually coming away disappointed because we didn't take one of our rare chances.

When was the last time an away team kept a clean sheet at Anfield?
This is where only scoring 18 league goals really hurts us,feels mad being a bit gutted with a draw at Anfield. The last away team to keep a clean sheet there was Chelsea on 21 Jan

Time to move on to even though seeing so many in the thread saying we should have snatched it leaves me constantly looking back to Sunday feeling regretful. Did not expect this to be the case and that kinda makes it worse.

Last edited:

Jeffthered

Just because we had a clean sheet doesn't mean the midfield did a good defensive job. SMT and Amrabat did not have any success closing down the Liverpool midfield, who were on the contrary able to play through them with ease and generate sustained offensive pressure throughout the game, as their ridiculously large number of shots attest to. They just weren't able to penetrate our box, because there were at least 8 players packed into and around it as soon as Liverpool had established ball control in the attacking 1/3. We hardly even tried to contest midfield control, or the wide areas for that matter, when out of possession.
Hmm. I take your point, but you then state '8 players' being packed in and around the box... of those eight were our midfielders, playing very deeply of course. Liverpool essentially camped in our half, but I still feel SMT and Amrabat did a job, but I take your point, which is well made, and perhaps I have inflated the quality of their performances, happy to be corrected.

We do look average though, quite awful. I can't remember such an average Man Utd team.. but it's all pretty much the same from the bleak Mourinho days to me. I can't see any players being happy to play that way... it's rubbish.

ZainCRse7en

We lose this game if Maguire had started instead of Varane. The levels between them is just massive.

Ghirahim

Liverpool dominated without having to play well. United were awful. Erik Ten Hag and pundits probably see that as a good performance but I don't.

Lentwood

Klopp has gotten away with it for years without having a creative CM but more so having workhorses who are willing runners and pressers so the front three can just focus on scoring and attacking
The gegenpress was fun* to watch, but this recent version, without the same star quality in attack, is garbage to watch. Its attritional, workmanlike rubbish.

I personally feel they're performing well above expectation, when considering points vs performances and I do believe that will catch-up with them at some point.

I'm so sorry that we didn't play tika-taka out from the back and play right into the hands of a team who have two methods to score a goal - turnovers and a moment of magic from Salah/TAA.

*as fun as it can be watching a good Liverpool team

BellionsBalloon

Liverpool dominated without having to play well. United were awful. Erik Ten Hag and pundits probably see that as a good performance but I don't.
Really? We haven't won there since 2016, haven't scored there since 2018, have a crippling injury list, our from has been horrendous, all of our attackers are misfiring, club captain missing, they haven't dropped a point at home all season and scored in every game.

I don't get how a draw isn't a good result? You could argue that we could have taken all three points.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Thanks for your input mate
He's right though really. We did well to make the two chances and stop them getting a clear cut chance, that's about it. They still had plenty decent opportunities to score that go in on another day. If we make a game like that our regular big game away performance we'll lose a lot like we already have.

Denis79

It's all relative. Looking at how poor we've been this season and against better teams in general, that was a solid, I would even say good defensive performance.

GueRed

A decent low block defensive team performance.

With our patchy form and recent record at Anfield I was expecting a defeat so happy to come out unscathed and with a relatively comfortable 0-0 result.

BellionsBalloon

I'm still waiting for UTD to actually have a striker that can convert chances on a regular basis, how long has it been now?
No one has scored over 20 Premier League goals since Van Persie did ten (TEN!) years ago. Unreal!

Just checked and 36 players have scored over 20 in the time.

Last edited:

Partridge

34 shots....most of them were shit attempts. only close one was from TAA later in the match. Set pieces is where they were the most threatening.

Best real goal scoring chance in the match fell to Hojlund
We can be thankful that Liverpool were as shit as they were, otherwise we would have taken another kicking.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
How are people moaning we didn't play well at Anfield. When have we ever played well at Anfield? There's a reason "Juanfield" remains in United folklore.

Maybe our fans are in a depressive state and want to see everything in a negative light so to feed their everything is shit state of mind. I'm just happy not seeing our club get the piss taken out of only if just for 1 week so you can all bore off!!

TheReligion

Abusive
How are people moaning we didn't play well at Anfield. When have we ever played well at Anfield? There's a reason "Juanfield" remains in United folklore.

Maybe our fans are in a depressive state and want to see everything in a negative light so to feed their everything is shit state of mind. I'm just happy not seeing our club get the piss taken out of only if just for 1 week so you can all bore off!!
Agreed

Hope the miserable cnuts get coal in their stockings. It’s what they deserve!

Pogba's Barber

Supports
Droylsden FC
We win that with a proper striker. Crazy.
Same could be said of Liverpool though?

Also, had Hojlund converted his chance, it's possible that Liverpool would have stepped up a gear and scored at least one themselves (including a soft penalty Oliver would have been desperate to award). And we've struggled to manage games when going ahead.

I consider us fortunate to come away with a point, rather than unlucky not to get 3.

justsomebloke

Can only speak for myself. Very happy with the point and the effort & commitment, never remotely expected us to play well, did expect us to lose, possibly badly. So that's all fine. But if you're looking at it from the point of view of where are we now and what's the shape and capability of this team, it wasn't a very happy sight, was it. Point or no point. And it's not because of Anfield, it's been like this consistently and for a long time. And that needs to be talked about too. It is what it is.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
Can only speak for myself. Very happy with the point and the effort & commitment, never remotely expected us to play well, did expect us to lose, possibly badly. So that's all fine. But if you're looking at it from the point of view of where are we now and what's the shape and capability of this team, it wasn't a very happy sight, was it. Point or no point. And it's not because of Anfield, it's been like this consistently and for a long time. And that needs to be talked about too. It is what it is.
The only consistent thing with us at Anfield is that we always suck! Even in times when they were much worse than we are now. This fixture must always be taken in isolation. The old cliche of "form goes out of the window during a derby" still applies whether you are a good or bad team. We were arguably a better team and in better form when we played them last season and yet lost 7-0. Liverpool then followed that win by losing to Bournemouth in the very next game.

I just don't get how anyone would complain about getting a result in a game we were all expecting to lose but could have even won it in the end. Let's leave the complaining to when we inevitably lose to West Ham.

Oranges038

We can be thankful that Liverpool were as shit as they were, otherwise we would have taken another kicking.
Liverpool have been playing shit lately. Really all they do is spam long shots and balls into the box and with a bit of luck it drops nicely to one of their players or they get a corner to lump another ball in there. Their luck had to run out at some point.

justsomebloke

The only consistent thing with us at Anfield is that we always suck! Even in times when they were much worse than we are now. This fixture must always be taken in isolation. The old cliche of "form goes out of the window during a derby" still applies whether you are a good or bad team. We were arguably a better team and in better form when we played them last season and yet lost 7-0. Liverpool then followed that win by losing to Bournemouth in the very next game.

I just don't get how anyone would complain about getting a result in a game we were all expecting to lose but could have even won it in the end. Let's leave the complaining to when we inevitably lose to West Ham.
Yeah well, this time form didn't go out the window and our challenges were all too familiar from almost every other game we've played recently, so unlike last season it's kind of hard to see this one in isolation.

Ahmer Baig

Who was the Sky pundit everyone in studio made fun of when he predicted 0-0 draw?

Melville Red

Yeah that is the niggling feeling,not surprised Rasmus snatched at it though as so much pressure on him. This is why we needed to sign experienced striker first
However we need a creative midfield to actually supply said experienced striker.
Wont it be wonderful if Arsenal win the PL by two points from the scousers.:lol:

Winrar

This is where only scoring 18 league goals really hurts us,feels mad being a bit gutted with a draw at Anfield. The last away team to keep a clean sheet there was Chelsea on 21 Jan

Time to move on to even though seeing so many in the thread saying we should have snatched it leaves me constantly looking back to Sunday feeling regretful. Did not expect this to be the case and that kinda makes it worse.
This was definitely one of those that could've been a smash and grab, but we're unfortunately neither clinical enough in the final third to effectively hit teams on the break, nor are we disciplined enough to see out leads once we do take them.

It is what it is, but aforementioned problems will continue to haunt us until addressed.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Good performance, no
Good result, yes

Ultimately the only thing that matters when we play at Anfield is the result. Obviously I wouldn't want us to continue playing like this for the rest of the season because it's not remotely sustainable and we'll lose more games than we win doing it. But in the context of a difficult one-off away match, I can't complain.

JagUTD

34 shots? They had zero attempts of any concern whatsoever.

Their shots were akin to some redneck who stole their grandma's false teeth firing wildly into the air.

It was like watching an action movie on Hallmark, terrible in every sense but the old trope about the bad guys missing their shots by miles still applied.

Hughie77

If Liverpool had won by a big margin you can bet your last pound it would have been the first match, MOTD love Liverpool and treat Klop like hes some sort of genius.
Agree, if utd win they get Shunted midway through or last, if they lose first up...

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 302 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 13% Liverpool 4:0 Man Utd
  • 13% Liverpool 3:0 Man Utd