PL D FA Premier League

Liverpool 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 17 December 2023

SonOfFergie

Great result and good performance. Varane and Evans magnificent. Mainoo and Garnacho are the future. Hojlund still finding feet. Based on multiple examples I must say that Dalot, McT, Amrabat and Antony are not United standard. A soon as we upgrade the better. Keep McT as squad player.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Roboc7

Terrible quality from both teams, we were poor but disciplined and it’s a good result. Our lack of attacking quality was well and truly exposed, Liverpool were there for taking on the counter but our players just didn’t have ability to capitalise.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How many aimless, percentage crosses did Trent put in today?
Moyes got mockery for such tactics.

GazTheLegend

I don't think there's much to be proud of today, if I'm being honest it's not good to go to Anfield and allow them 34 shots at your goal and 12 corners, but under the circumstances - with Michael Oliver refereeing, us playing Jonny Evans at the back, and with Bruno Fernandes out I think anyone would take it.

Happiest for Onana as he faced 8 shots on target and we come away with the clean sheet, but there's absolutely nothing about our side at all and on another day maybe we concede four or five.

Robertd0803

Will gladly take that result and the point.
Would quite happily have taken it before the game no questions asked.

The fact the Liverpools fans are frustrated as hell after that is even more amusing.

Nunez should have been sent off although him staying on was probably more of an advantage to us.

Kevzter

Good point... Considering most of us were expecting to get royally hammered at Anfield while putting out a makeshift team.

Dalot should have known better... I'm from South Africa and even I know that that Oliver is the most hard assed and card happy ref in the league.

However Klopp in post the post match interview having a mental breakdown claiming the media have a 'United' agenda is the cherry on top for me.

JagUTD

End of the day, this game meant more to Liverpool than us. We were a bit disrespectful, taking a mostly second string side down, giving a load of academy lads a few minutes in a favourable atmosphere. More of a training session for us than anything else.

You could see what it meant to the Liverpool fans though. Football is about these moments, welcoming the genuine big boys, second string or not to your rickity little shed at Christmas. Memories that will last a life time right there.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't think there's much to be proud of today, if I'm being honest it's not good to go to Anfield and allow them 34 shots at your goal and 12 corners, but under the circumstances - with Michael Oliver refereeing, us playing Jonny Evans at the back, and with Bruno Fernandes out I think anyone would take it.

Happiest for Onana as he faced 8 shots on target and we come away with the clean sheet, but there's absolutely nothing about our side at all and on another day maybe we concede four or five.
oh no how could we allow that

miked99

Rarely in my entire United supporting life have I entered a game with so little belief of obtaining any kind of result.

Absolutely delighted with that performance. The team defended brilliantly and with real passion for the shirt. So unexpected, given our many meek capitulations.

Massive credit to Jonny Evans too. He's performed so far above expectations.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Not much of a game . Both teams were poor. Good point in the end. Oliver is GAK. Absolute joke of a red card.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Klopp’s interview is not much better. The man really hates teams that come to Liverpool to defend, he talks like they’ve cheated or something.
Who cares what he thinks or says. Not me or any United fans.

GazTheLegend

oh no how could we allow that
Alright then how about yield 34 shots? Cede 34 shots? Give up 34 shots? What are you picking holes in language for here, and what's your point? That they missed the target most of the time is good for us, in that they were shite efforts and they should have done better. The point being that if one flies in our post game discussion's a lot different because people don't see past the result. @Buster15 I don't Klopp, he's not great, but he's got a point, it's two points dropped for them today. Because they failed to beat us with us playing our academy kid in midfield for the first ever time at Anfield, Jonny Evans at the back, and while missing (extremely arguably) our best creative outlet in Fernandes.

Under that circumstance a draw is a bad result for them and acceptable for us, but it's depressing to me that we've fallen as far as we have.

miked99

End of the day, this game meant more to Liverpool than us. We were a bit disrespectful, taking a mostly second string side down, giving a load of academy lads a few minutes in a favourable atmosphere. More of a training session for us than anything else.

You could see what it meant to the Liverpool fans though. Football is about these moments, welcoming the genuine big boys, second string or not to your rickity little shed at Christmas. Memories that will last a life time right there.
:lol:

JediSith

Great point. Some very good performances at the back. The usual crap performance from you know who.

Can’t wait for Martinez & Casemiro to return.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Rarely in my entire United supporting life have I entered a game with so little belief of obtaining any kind of result.

Absolutely delighted with that performance. The team defended brilliantly and with real passion for the shirt. So unexpected, given our many meek capitulations.

Massive credit to Jonny Evans too. He's performed so far above expectations.
A lot of people were mocking Evans when he was signed on a year contract. But he is using his experience well.

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
This team just needs to learn how to pass the ball with precision. Get that Dortmund passing machine that teaches them how to pass it.

Lrf

Yeah but who had the better clean cut opportunities?
Not sure, maybe Højlunds chance or VVDs header? Though, statistically, we "should have" lost 3-1 today.

The xG was about the same as the trashing last year actually. They used up all the luck they did not get today.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This team just needs to learn how to pass the ball with precision. Get that Dortmund passing machine that teaches them how to pass it.
It will not happen with this lot. We need signings but more importantly an overhaul in our recruitment / running of the football club.

Get In Scholesy

Well done :lol:

GazTheLegend

OK you've cheered me up :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Irish Connection

Great point obviously, but our passing especially in the first half was terrible. Couldn’t string 3 passes together.
Pity Hojlund couldn’t have put that away.
The back four were excellent.

The-Mezzala

Mainoo looks a great talent. Really hope him and Garanacho don’t fall off like other talented players have in the past.Varane and Evans excellent both used their experience today and it was crucial . Hojlund needs a goal. Feel for him tough environment to go into and lot of pressure. He has a lot of great physical qualities as a striker for his age. Think confidence is short.

Last edited:

leeroyTX

I’m happy with the point. To go on the road at the league leaders and come Away with a shutout and a point is good no matter what.

I thought the defense was well organized, with Varane as the MotM. Mainoo was solid. The ball he played to Garnach was lovely. Antony played well, especially defensively. I was glad to see them adjust early and stop trying to play so much out of the back.

I’m disturbed at how poor Amrabat is on the ball. The man cannot complete a simple pass. There were a lot of unnecessary and unforced turnovers. Have to stop giving the ball back so easily. Also have to find ways to get the ball to the striker. He had so few touches. But when he had chances, he really needs to impose himself more. Should’ve really put the ball from McT away.

Addled

Post of the year

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
A lot of people were mocking Evans when he was signed on a year contract. But he is using his experience well.
He was fantastic tonight and he’s good when on the ball too, I’d keep him and varane together aslong as they can untill Martinez is back, a game a week shouldn’t be too hard on him.

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 302 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 13% Liverpool 4:0 Man Utd
  • 13% Liverpool 3:0 Man Utd