FA W FA Cup Quarter-Finals

Manchester United 4:3 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sun, 17 March 2024

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Mainoo was sensational and AWB was great. 2 of the best today I think for us. Unlike them with that 5 on 2 counter we made our 2 on 1 counter count!
I too thought Mainoo was outstanding and I made him MOM. He was everywhere and his passing was accurate. As a player, the only slight thing I see is a lack of pace.
But that is being very picky because he is going to be an absolute top player.

zedian

Bye bye quadruple. What a game. Give that lad Amad the freedom of Manchester.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Could someone accurately write down what our line up and formation was at 90 minutes in normal time?

I think we'll be here a while...

keithsingleton

I missed the second half but in the first half and extra time we were excellent and fully deserved the win. We missed some great chances too, could have been more.

Sending off Amad was absolutely cnutish from the ref.

feck the Scouse cnuts!
Such a stupid thing to do already being on a yellow, you could argue inexperience but the lad fcuked up for me.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Games like that remind us just why we all love this game so much. Nothing competes with football at its best.
Games like that remind us just why we all love this game so much. Nothing competes with football at its best.
That is exactly how I feel as well.
Manchester United used to be known for a never say die attitude.
And today the team just were not going to be beaten.

The only downside was Bruno giving away possession far too easily.

And AWB tackling was great.
Mainoo was outstanding. Best I have seen him play.
And Garnacho running at Liverpool defense time and time again.
I just love his attitude.

davidmichael

Football, fecking hell. My daughter thinks I’m a lunatic for screaming the house down and throwing myself all around the house when Diallo scored.

What a game though in general and even my non United supporting mates have said the same as it was genuinely end to end for pretty much the entire 120 minutes.

Thought outside of the goal Rashford was horrible again and doing his usual jogging around and letting people practically walk past him, Hojlund looked off the pace and Lindelof always seems to scared to square up to players and attempt to tackle so backs off until the opposition are in shooting range but that’s the only bad out of today.

Mainoo was incredible and once he builds his stamina he’s going to be a world class player, Dalot looks like how he did before the World Cup, Varane when fit is still a top quality centre back and leader of the backline, Onana looks to overcome the shakiness, McTominay showed that as the more attacking one he can play in a double pivot, Garnacho is started to mature and AWB was fantastic in an unusual role.

Moriarty

In my lifetime, I can only recall them beating us in the FA Cup once in the early noughties when Crouch got the winner. Even when they were the big boys of the First Division, we always beat them in the cup.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
If we sort out our defensive frailties next season, we’d be a comfortable Top 4 team. After witnessing today’s effort, this group of players have it in them if they dig deep. But I’m still not too sure if ETH is the right man but I trust the board’s decision.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Also for that last goal Garnacho’s disguised pass to Diallo was beautiful as he had 2 options.

Chumpsbechumps

Anthony with a bit of a Diego Forlan moment today.

He was actually very good all game, I’d love if he can kick on from here

Oranges038

Remember as a kid watching games, buzzing and going outside right after and pretending to be whatever players scored or whatever. This game made me want to do that today, totally mental stuff and still buzzing after.

Forgot that football could make you feel like that, what a crazy game.

cpresc

Great to see we've found a formation that works... Bruno in defence and Harry upfront?!?!!? hahaha oh my days..

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Could someone accurately write down what our line up and formation was at 90 minutes in normal time?

Last few mins of the original 90, I think we somehow got by with a Lindelof-Maguire-Dalot back 3.

Bruno and Eriksen deep lying mids.
McTom in there too.

Then Diallo, Antony and Garnacho out wide and Rashy up front.

Then when behind in extra time, Lindelof came off for Mount and it got even more insane.

Maguire somehow managing to be a colossus at the back, AND get forward loads.

AndyMUFC

Bloody hell, what a game. Best United game I've attended without a doubt.

Thought we were really good first half and the gameplan was working until we imploded just before the break. They controlled a lot of the second half but we stayed in the game and once we got that late equaliser it was all one way traffic for the rest of the game and throughout extra time despite them retaking the lead.

We battered them for half an hour with a back four of Dalot, Maguire, Bruno and Antony.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Still can't get over Dixon suggesting his wonder turn and accurate shot was "speculative".
Outrageous to suggest that was luck when we'd seen Liverpool actually have 2 lucky deflections.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Bloody hell, what a game. Best United game I've attended without a doubt.

Thought we were really good first half and the gameplan was working until we imploded just before the break. They controlled a lot of the second half but we stayed in the game and once we got that late equaliser it was all one way traffic for the rest of the game and throughout extra time despite them retaking the lead.

We battered them for half an hour with a back four of Dalot, Maguire, Bruno and Antony.
You've got a great memory for life here.

Mine so far is that 4-3 v City with the Owen winner.

Would be hard to split the 2. That one had it looking like we'd thrown it away against a lesser team, but today was something quite special.

Gator Nate

It was so confusing. I saw Antony, Amad, Garnacho, Rashford, McTominay, Bruno, Mount, Eriksen all on the pitch, Maguire went up and was attacking as well and couldn't figure out how we set up. I think the Liverpool players were quite confused by that as well.
Total Football!

Longshanks

3-4-1-2?
Dalot Maguire lindelof
Anthony Bruno Eriksen Garnacho
Mctom
Diallo Rashford
Although Maguire was basically playing as a striker in those last few minutes but the above is basically where we ended the game and also first half of extra time.

George Beast

Genuine question, why's seemingly every Liverpool supporter having a go at Gakpo as if he gave away a hat-trick of own goals? He wasn't even on the whole match why is he being singled out?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Genuine question, why's seemingly every Liverpool supporter having a go at Gakpo as if he gave away a hat-trick of own goals? He wasn't even on the whole match why is he being singled out?
They should be moaning at Klopp for a daft triple sub over a few mins that basically massively reduced their quality.

Oh actually, it was Gahkpo who criminally wasted that 5 on 2 break in hilarious fashion.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Was so sleepy after the match, so untypical because during it I shat myself multiple times.

Im getting old

The_Midfielder

I knew we would win 1 of games that we will play at OT against Liverpool, or Arsenal..
Now we need to make sure when they come to OT in April, we somehow get something from that game..

Partridge

I've noticed that every time someone praises Anthonys performances (which isn't often) he recedes back to levels of ineptitude not seen since van gaals square football.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

3-4-1-2?
Dalot Maguire lindelof
Anthony Bruno Eriksen Garnacho
Mctom
Diallo Rashford
Although Maguire was basically playing as a striker in those last few minutes but the above is basically where we ended the game and also first half of extra time.
Yeah felt like Maguire spent more time up front then at the back!

Bruno spent a lot of time as our deepest player.

onemanarmy

He had one of the worst substitution performances I've seen in a long time. On Belgian TV it was mentioned couple of times.

Mike Smalling

It's just so much better to win the last game before an international break. Those two weeks can be agonizing if you come off a really disappointing loss.

Now we can carry those good vibes into the break, and maybe get a player or two back for the run-in.

Decade long lurker

What a game. Only posting now because I’ve just stopped crying. I don’t know any of youse . But I love youse all right now. Days like these are why we love this club. Love football

Melville Red

Fecking brilliant I’m giving every United player a 10 just because of the look on that gurning German twats face at the end. :lol: :lol:
And as has been said befor, feck your quadruple you Scouse bin dipping twats.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I love the way we won that. Our formation at the end was something like this 2-4-3-1:

----------------------Onana-------------------------
-------------Maguire----Fernandes----------
Dalot-----Eriksen----Mount--------Antony
Amad------------McTominay-----Garnacho
-----------------------Rashford---------------------

Only 2 players with any real defensive instinct, never mind just 2 defenders. All the midfielders were attacking midfielders. Crazy and beautiful.

I think we also generally showed better fitness and commitment than Liverpool, which was great to see. McTominay, Dalot, Garnacho and Bruno in particular deserve a lot of credit.

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 365 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:1 Liverpool
  • 18% Man Utd 1:3 Liverpool