PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Luton Town

Post-match discussion

Sat, 11 November 2023

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Just read that Luton haven't lost by more than one goal since August so maybe today wasn't as bad as I was moaning about earlier.

Redbandito

Well since Eriksen is going to be out for awhle, hopefully he shows us soon
Yeah, we really need him to give us something in the midfield consistently. He’s been off to a poor start this season. Hopefully this game is a first step in a better direction.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Well done guys and good luck for the rest of the season.
What was the Luton vibe on today? Played ok and happy enough I assume? Didn't really deserve a point but at the same time if you got one Utd could not have complained.

siw2007

Disappointing performance by the team today, but we got away with it and took the 3 points. Despite putting up a drab performance, we had the chances to win this game 3-0, we didn’t typically and it was a bit of a nervous ending with that. Having said that, Maguire was class in his defending and passing.

sugar_kane

Okay performance against a team happy to park the bus for 90 minutes.

Our general play looked a lot more fluid and you can see confidence is growing but our finishing is fecking horrendous.

Banana Republic

12 games in.
That’s effectively a third of the season gone already.
Only 13 league goals scored.

Defenders have given us the winning goal in 3 scrappy wins.

Our forwards have scored just 1 goal between them in 12 games and that was over 2 months ago (Rashford’s solitary goal in the loss at Arsenal).
Let that sink in….. 1 goal from a forward in 12 league games.

redzombie

Bruno, Maguire & Garnacho (1st half) got us over the line, the rest didn't show up. absolutely nothing down the right again for the whole 90

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I’ll just be honest and say it, I don’t like this team at all. Happy we got the three points and that’s it really.
Thanks for not deceiving us. I wish you well in your quest for a likeable side. I like this United. Like them a lot. New owner (sort of) next week. Delighted for Victor. Well done all, climbing steadily out of a deep hole.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Couldn't get to watch the match but very happy with the 3 points.
Wednesday's result was brutal so happy for any positive result following that big disappointment.

RedOrange

Just read that Luton haven't lost by more than one goal since August so maybe today wasn't as bad as I was moaning about earlier.
Well the prevailing attitude here seems to be that winning by a goal is basically the same thing as losing so you're in good company.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
12 games in.
That’s effectively a third of the season gone already.
Only 13 league goals scored.

Defenders have given us the winning goal in 3 scrappy wins.

Our forwards have scored just 1 goal between them in 12 games and that was over 2 months ago (Rashford’s solitary goal in the loss at Arsenal).
Let that sink in….. 1 goal from a forward in 12 league games.

Seriously? Pretty feckin grim...

RedOrange

Bruno, Maguire & Garnacho (1st half) got us over the line, the rest didn't show up. absolutely nothing down the right again for the whole 90
Absolutely nothing except for Rashford's cross to Hojlund which should have been a goal and Antony's cut inside and pass to a wide open Rashford, which also should have been a goal. Oh, and the goal that came from a deflected ball to the middle of the box after a cross from the right.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Well the prevailing attitude here seems to be that winning by a goal is basically the same thing as losing so you're in good company.
I know mate. My issue earlier wasn't us winning by a goal, it was us regularly failing to score more than one. We're scraping through too many games at the moment and our attacking threat is relying on a 20 year old who should be an understudy, who is meant to be getting service from wingers who are more focused on making attempts from themselves.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Good win again. We are currently winning because of better players and this talk of rubbish players. We are yet to see a brilliant team and that’s what’s awaiting.
Hopefully in stabilising our results the team performance will get to benefit.

RedOrange

I know mate. My issue earlier wasn't us winning by a goal, it was us regularly failing to score more than one. We're scraping through too many games at the moment and our attacking threat is relying on a 20 year old who should be an understudy, who is meant to be getting service from wingers who are more focused on making attempts from themselves.
Yeah, the thing is that wasn't our problem in this match. Hojlund, Rashford and Garnacho fluffed their lines on great chances to score, but Rashford, Hojlund and Antony set those three chances up in the first place.

Møllemanden

I guess Erik would say that we controlled the game. But to be honest Luton had absolutely nothing to offer going forward. Maguire and Lindeløf were our best players today. Another very tame performance attacking wise. Finishing was horrible.

And Højlund + Eriksen injured. A breath of fresh air that it happened before and not during an international break. :)

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
What was the Luton vibe on today? Played ok and happy enough I assume? Didn't really deserve a point but at the same time if you got one Utd could not have complained.
Yeah I think most realistic fans know a draw would have been a great result. We've lost plenty games by a close margin, hopefully can turn it around at home against palace next. Stay up or go down, it's been really fun so far.
Right back at you… stay up, help send Burnley, Liverpool and Sheffield United down
:lol:

Brownhill that knobber helped me by wiping out that arsenal clean sheet!

always_hoping

Wolves, Forest, Burnley, Palace, Brentford, Fulham and now Luton.

If your life depended on a narrow unconvincing win v a lower quality team … we‘re your team!
No easy matches in the premier league especially for this United with a 2nd choice back four and aren't clinical with the chances they create.

Banana Republic

There might be some comfort that we're only 5 points behind Spurs and 6 points behind Arsenal, but it's only false comfort.

Our next league fixtures up to Christmas..

A - Everton - who are starting to get their act together after a dismal start.
A - Newcastle - Tough match. We can't score and they don't concede much. They score lots of goals....
H - Chelsea - Won't be an easy game either and they're starting to get their act together. Another tight defence.
H - Bournemouth
A - Liverpool - !!!
A - West Ham - I can see us struggling after the above fixtures and having been turfed out of the CL by then.

Could we be looking at a possible 1 win out those 6 games ?

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
There might be some comfort that we're only 5 points behind Spurs and 6 points behind Arsenal, but it's only false comfort.

A - Newcastle - Tough match. We can't score and they don't concede much. They score lots of goals....
H - Chelsea - Won't be an easy game either and they're starting to get their act together. Another tight defence.
H - Bournemouth
A - Liverpool - !!!
A - West Ham - I can see us struggling after the above fixtures and having been turfed out of the CL by then.

If you want to be a miserable bastard why not make it none?

Garnacho's Shoelaces

H - Bournemouth
A - Liverpool - !!!

EtH is gone if we only win 1 in 6 and are on 24 points by Christmas. We need a minimum of 10 points, ideally 13-14.

Ludens the Red

A little strange:

United have scored 13 goals and have 16 goals against us. We are number 6.

N. Forest have scored 12 goals and have 15 goals against them. They are number 15.
. All our wins have come against mediocre opposition (except Brentford) and all by thin margins. Anyone decent we’ve played has beaten us by 2 goals or more.

Munkehboi

Big concern for me is that I see some players just not bothering to track back or putting in little effort to do so. Big gaps appeared in the 2nd half and we would have been punished by a better side. Bruno is trying to lead by example but it seems almost hard wired in some players heads to not put in shift.

Alek M

Da manic one
Created chances. Somebody needs to put them away.
Lindeloff. What a servant to the club.
Antony needs to feck off.
Maybe Mount getting some time will not be bad. Erkisen was invisible.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 190 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Luton Town win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:0 Luton Town
  • 17% Man Utd 3:0 Luton Town