LC L League Cup Semi-Final 1st Leg

Manchester United 1:3 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Tue, 07 January 2020

TrueRed79

He needs time i guess........................................................................................................

Ollie Derbyshire

Could and should have been 5-1 at least, we was there for the taking. Usual average players being average.

Our corners are simply a disgrace, when was the last time we scored from one?

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
A meaningless consolation goal after a thrashing at home should be enough to see Ole keep his job.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Cant get outplayed like that at Old Trafford. That's what it comes down to, plain and simple. If Ole can't make the signings to fix it, or get the right system to improve it, then he isnt right for manager.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
We played well second half! Good management to get a grip on the game.
Bull-fecking-shit. City were spraying passes about and it almost got to walking pace for them. They had at least 3 decent chances to completely embarrass us. Good management to get a grip on the game... give your head a wobble ffs.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
1987 was the last time a club lost the first leg of a League Cup semi and reached the final, which seems both astonishing and depressing from our perspective.

Pleased with second half effort but so little to be positive about. We were so well beaten.

Leonzo1

Fine margins.
The boys were fantastic.
We're learning.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Alan Smith on comms: “The objective was to win the second half and they have done that.”

:lol:

fecking pathetic.

Cantona in disguise

Rubbish. Poorly coached. No real effort aside from the usual few. Ole needs to come out and say give me the players I need or I'll walk if he really believes in what he is doing. Surely he must know without top quality players hes going to be sacked anyway? What's he got to lose by calling out ed now? A few million quid I suppose

RedMilo

Ive defended Ole until now but that team selection was naïve to say the least. When I saw that he was playing Andreas & Lingard in the same midfield, it was asking for trouble, and we were punished. Feel sorry for Williams & Greenwood as they deserve better company. Lindelöf mentally weak, didn't show any leadership and didn't do the basics right and Jones was calamitous at times. Its a mess lads, and its painful to watch. They need to invest another £300m to sort this out, but this time on the right type of players and not the Disneyland crusade Woodward has took us on...

dev1l

You saw that line up.

I expected worse than that.
When you consider the opposition - one of the top sides in Europe - and the players we were missing through injurIes (Maguire, McTominay,Pogba just to name 3) on top of our already thin squad, it could have been worse.
During the second half, we had 3 youngsters - Greenwood, Williams and Gomes on the pitch and I thought they did well.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
David May believes that we had a good chance for us to turn things around at City's turf

Banana Republic

When I saw Lingard in the starting line up, I knew it’d be a disaster.
Take him off and we improve dramatically, even if it wasn’t good end at the end of the day.
This has happened time and time again, but Ole can’t see it.
The lad is a total liability.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Not Ole’s fault then? Just blame JlingZ and not the idiot who picks him!
Don't be a dick.

I'm firmly of the belief that Ole shouldn't be managing this club but City have a way better squad than us and a great manager, it really wasn't that bad a result, all things considered.

stu_1992

Not as bad as I feared at half time, but let's not take away from that fact that we were well and truly hammered in that half. Really can't see us getting back into the tie in the second half so it's a depressing night all round. Rashford did well for his goal.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We're garbage. Prioritise the Europa League and FA Cup. We ain't gonna be doing s-t at Wastelands, nevermind win by 3. Almost completely given up on this squad except for Rashford and a handful of others.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
God knows how we managed to finish that only losing by two, I was expecting a cricket score at half time.
I think Ole got it badly wrong with his midfield selection, Matic as much as he’s passed it is better playing deep than Pereira, and Lingard is just rubbish.
Gomes looked half decent when he came on, we’ve been wasting those minutes on Lingard rather than giving him a chance.
I thought Greenwood and Williams were impressive, they showed more fight and more skill than the rest of them.
Ultimately with the players we have we’ll go nowhere good, and Ole coming out saying we’re looking at one or two whilst bugging up Fosu-Mensah shows we’re not serious enough about improving.

Conor

With Phil Jones on the pitch, this was a great result.

spiriticon

There's a massive TV in the dressing room isn't it?

I would put, on repeat, a video collection of our shitest games of the last 6 years in that room and that TV stays on forever until the players and coaches got the message.

Just shite.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Fred and Williams were our best players.

Andreas was terrible and Lingard was just absolutely terrible.

Has to be the end of Lingard.

Djemba-Djemba

When your first feeling after being outclassed 3-1 at home in the Derby is one of relief then you realise how fecking bad things are.

We're a shite team and a club that is going absolutely nowhere.

We need new owners a new manager and about 8 new signings.

Robertd0803

Its all ok. Rashfords goal means we will win 2-0 in the second leg before winning on penalties. All is ok. :( :(

Last edited:

Rbrown0806

They won the first half, we won the second... Good draw I say:drool:
You are deluded. This team are the worst I've seen in 49 years and the manager is just as bad. Let's stop making excuses and realise we have serious problems.

redom

Better second half but still huffed and puffed without really creating anything, City stopped a lot of attacks at source with quick fouls whenever a counter was even remotely possible and we have very little to offer outside that threat. May as well give Gomes some time as a ten to see if he can make something of it, there really aren't any other options right now.

joedirt87

it was a game of football, we survived without injuries (Phil Jones never counts), and Angel Gomes got to play. On to Norwich.

Enigma_87

You know who
Don't be a dick.

I'm firmly of the belief that Ole shouldn't be managing this club but City have a way better squad than us and a great manager, it really wasn't that bad a result, all things considered.
City have a lot of issues in their squad, namely in defence. One of the main reasons why they are so far from Liverpool this season.

They started their backup keeper, 2 DM's as CB and Ottamendi as their 3rd CB, who won't get a sniff if Laporte was available.

No striker on the pitch today for them as well. Wolves beat them twice this season, hell even we beat them at the Etihad, did the squad at the time made that difference?

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
How good is Jesse at cleaning toilets?

How many toilet cleaners would get paid that much a week?

No disrespect to any toilet cleaners here.

big rons sovereign

1987 was the last time a club lost the first leg of a League Cup semi and reached the final, which seems both astonishing and depressing from our perspective.

Pleased with second half effort but so little to be positive about. We were so well beaten.
Dya mean at home? Cos we lost to city ten years back and won the trophy.

Player Ratings

4.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 262 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% Man Utd 1:2 Man City
  • 16% Man Utd 2:1 Man City