g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Sat, 12 December 2020

abailey123

It keeps us in touch with the top 2.
This time last year we were 18 points off top spot. We’re 4 points having played level games this year.

Infra-red

Ole will be happy to have avoided defeat, which would have made this week an unmitigated disaster. City came for a draw. A non-event.

Best Foot Forward

Supports
United
I would have liked van de Beek to have started.
When Fred was injured I would have liked him to have been brought on.
When we were really looking for a win, I would........
Sorry, were we looking for a win?

Last edited:

Frank Grimes

On the face of it 0-0 versus City is acceptable. Looking at the bigger picture that's 2 points from Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and City with barely any chances created from open play. We've also lost to Palace and scraped a win versus West Brom. 5 home points from 18 is abysmal whatever way you look at it.
We have barely scored from open play in these game either. So much for Solskjaer been an attacking manager.

Anybody's Guess

How Rashford completed that game shall remain a mystery of our times. He did not even make an effort.

We continue to play 100% on instinct. No plan going forward. If Bruno and Rashford have poor games we don't score. Ole's role is no more than a mascot at this point.

However, even a mascot should understand that he can instruct his defenders not to play out from the back. The scenes of Lindelöf and Maguire trying to create something is the stuff of nightmares, and every single time increases the probability of the opposition scoring by a shitload. 95% of the time we end up hoofing the ball from a tight spot anyway. Stupid beyond belief.

bsCallout

Rashford must be carrying an injury, his lack of pressing or any sort of running isn’t good enough if not.

Least our defence turned up for this one, thought Maguire was MoM.

Take the draw and move on, win the game in hand and we’re probably 4 behind Liverpool/Spurs who play each other next week.
He isn't carrying an injury, he's played like this for a good 18 months. You'd actually have thought he was the one that didn't want to play for us today, not Pogba.

Teja

Pretty happy with that. The same lot that are complaining now were saying we'd go 3-0 down before starting to play in the pre-match thread.

Would've been more interesting had either manager taken off one of the defensive CMs (Rodri / Fernandinho / Fred / McT) but the best manager in the world (tm) according to the caf didn't make the sub either so no point blaming your PE teacher /s.

Have a nice run of fixtures coming up, think we'll put together a title challenge.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This is the worst City team in a decade and we barely tested them.

STBJohnny

The biggest shock for me was that Pogba was actually trying tonight. I guess he needs to impress Juventus.

R'hllor

Good point. Ole kept his word that we gonna have a go from the first moment, after first 20 min. we switched things up but we lacked a bit in final third. 2nd half we didnt start well but things improved massively after Ole smartly used all his subs. Out of all subs, Martial was only one lacking, he tried to connect the dots on the pitch but we couldnt find a net at the end. Ole gonna be happy with that point imo.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
On the face of it 0-0 versus City is acceptable. Looking at the bigger picture that's 2 points from Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and City with barely any chances created from open play. We've also lost to Palace and scraped a win versus West Brom. 5 home points from 18 is abysmal whatever way you look at it.
We have barely scored from open play in these game either. So much for Solskjaer been an attacking manager.
Yikes, I thought Ole was supposed to be a manager for the big games?

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I was happy for 60/65 minutes today, we were good defensively and looked as comfortable as I've seen us all season. It has to be said City look ordinary for the first time since their lottery win, but considering the terrible problems we've had at the back I was happy to see a strong, disciplined performance against players we know can take a game away from any team in a flash.

That said we were not good enough in the last half hour; strolling around, making one like for like change and looking made up with a solitary point in a game that was there for the taking. Ole and the players deserve credit for the first hour but I think they let themselves down by not giving it a proper go in the second half. They can not complain if the term 'small team mentality' is mentioned, as it was often in the Matchday thread.

Gasolin

Does Pep acknowledge Carrick for our defensive strength and discipline in games like this?
Can we never play 3-5-2 with two defensive midfielders again?
Would this team have beat or drawn with RB Leipzig?

If Fernandes had been himself today it’s a different game. Very sloppy and surprised although not surprised he wasn’t subbed for DVB.
That team could have beaten Leipzig, but for that, we needed Fred. He brings something in that middle that allows our full back to stay on the side and not get into the middle. It's was killed us.

Le Red

Only the fans who are too thick to realise we became Arsenal are happy with this shit.

Abhinav

We have no clue how to progress up the pitch against any half decent pressing side. Yet we concede territory to the to the opposition so easily while defending. The opposition literally can walk the ball into our half with out any opposition. Head scratching stuff.
The pointless experiment of playing from the back must stop against good teams unless we find a way to break the lines. Maguire and Lindelof are pathetic when it comes to passing quickly and accurately.

Jeffthered

Boring game, both sides were pretty average. City probed a little more.. but how many 'defensive midfielders on the pitch??

We were scared to win that game.

NoMidfielders

Defensively did the job but honestly thought that was a bit embarrassing. Absolutely 0 reaction after a massive disappointment in the week.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If you think Ole played not to lose, Pep also played not to lose in this match.

Infra-red

He's a counter-attacking manager. That much must be clear by now. He's been here long enough to imprint his style on the team - we're playing exactly how he wants us to play.

MrBest

I really do not care if City show up or not, I expect much better than what I saw today. At the back we were okay, but City rarely threatened with big chances, Maguire and Lindeloff were let off. We spend on average, 60% of the time on the ball passing between De Gea, Maguire, Shaw, Fred, AWB and Bruno when he drops back. The amount of times the ball comes into our players feet is a joke, but what is worse, they take 4 touches before distributing it out again which allows the opposition to block off the channels. Why do we not pass into the space and expect players to run on to it.

Same story again with Ole in charge, static players, no creativity, no ambition to close and open play, no pressure, winged it and settled for a draw. He made one sub on the 75th min, then left it at that. Is the role of a manager to not tactically change the game when you see gaps starting to appear? For the last 20 mins, City tried to go forward more and started to leave big holes which we failed to see and exploit.

Anyone in there right mind would see Ole is not good enough to take us to the next level. Imagine how confused you would be as a player, your manager is on the bench, sitting down crossed legged looking lost and you have three, not one, THREE other coaches (assistants or whatever there role is) clapping the players on at random times. The whole structure of our coaching is ridiculous, from team/man management, fluidity, changes, formation.

I am glad we got a point after Weds, but it really just plasters over a very be crack that is deepening. I just wish Man United would give us an amazing present this Christmas and sack Ole and Ed. Literally, two clowns who do not have the ability to do what they should given the expectations of this club.

Chicharo

Among many problems we are having, I think that Bruno is currently in a very poor form, which is expected after everything he has done since he arrived.
Next game against Sheffield, and than Leeds at home. So six points is a must

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 271 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 19% Man Utd 2:1 Man City