PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Sat, 12 December 2020

tjb

We have no clue how to progress up the pitch against any half decent pressing side. Yet we concede territory to the to the opposition so easily while defending. The opposition literally can walk the ball into our half with out any opposition. Head scratching stuff.
The pointless experiment of playing from the back must stop against good teams unless we find a way to break the lines. Maguire and Lindelof are pathetic when it comes to passing quickly and accurately.
This for me is the main problem. even against lesser teams. we take 30 minutes to string a play that can get us in the opposition half. why not just play it up the pitch? we dont't break teams down, not because of bad attacking play, but because we spend so long trying to bring the ball out of defence.

RashyForPM

Maybe if you hadn't acquired FOUR points from five previous homes.

Has any team ever won a title with 5 points from their opening 6 home games?
Not even going to check before saying a categoric no. Our home form is appalling.

Edy2

The United way. Playing for a goalless draw at home.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I for one am glad we didn’t concede in the first 3 minutes, let alone in 90 minutes. Hasn’t happened too often this season. And cheers City for deciding not to kickstart your season against us. Much appreciated.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Strange season. We are in it, that can’t be denied?
It remains to be seen if we're consistently even in the top four race yet.

We haven't beaten Tottenham, Chelsea, Arsenal or City at home.
You can't be in a title battle without beating anyone of note.

HowYouDoin

That performance would have seen us through on Tuesday. Dull but at least we didn’t look incompetent...
Difference is probably Matic. Ole in all his wisdom played Matic against Leipzig and Matic just doesnt have the legs anymore. Any game he played we looked awful. Teams slicing our midfield like butter.

Just a horrible horrible manager for this level.

Its laughable. You give a Molde level manager the keys to run Manchester United. You just gotta laugh at that haha.

MrBest

Luke Shaw on skysports: "I would say it was very tight, a very even game and we made it difficult for them at times. They could not get their rhythm going and we defended well.

Typical Ole, make it difficult for them, forget having a team identity and way of playing, let's play to stop them and then if we get a chance, do a counter. Pathetic for 2020.

RashyForPM

We're Manchester United. And you think being 4 points off top in a season everyone is horse sh!te is something to be delighted about?
People’s ambition have dropped so much since Fergie left that it’s sad to see. 4 points off top was treated as a mini-crisis under the great man.

SuperiorXI

Sure we can be all happy about that, but at the same time if we want to be challenging and actually be up there come the end of the season we can't just play for a draw.
I wanted to see us go for it at the end but it's a good point vs a good team.

We're Manchester United. And you think being 4 points off top in a season everyone is horse sh!te is something to be delighted about?
Fergie used to say be within touching distance over Christmas, that's exactly where we are. I'll take it. You can't win every game.

Gasolin

Difference is probably Matic. Ole in all his wisdom played Matic against Leipzig and Matic just doesnt have the legs anymore. Any game he played we looked awful. Teams slicing our midfield like butter.

Just a horrible horrible manager for this level.

Its laughable. You give a Molde level manager the keys to run Manchester United. You just gotta laugh at that haha.
Who should we have played then? Fred is the one that makes us tick, and he had a red card. Matic is still a DM. Who would you play then as a DM? Let us know your wisdom!

Godfather

That performance would have seen us through on Tuesday. Dull but at least we didn’t look incompetent...
The pace Leipzig played with can't be compared with that walk in the park by City today. Completely different games. Also City was obviously ok with the result. Leipzig needed the win and performed accordingly

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I wanted to see us go for it at the end but it's a good point vs a good team.

Fergie used to say be within touching distance over Christmas, that's exactly where we are. I'll take it. You can't win every game.
Being 4 points off one team is one thing. Being 6th or 7th is quite another.

Beat City today and perhaps there's optimism of title challenges. Draw today none at all.
We've beaten Wbrom at home. Out of SIX home games.

Edy2

Managed to watch from 70 mins on. How did we play before? Was it more of the same?
Exactly the same all game. Absolutely no ambition shown to try and win the game against an off colour opponent.

Skåre Willoch

Quite happy with that performance, actually. Good result, but (unsurprisingly) quite boring and relatively predictable from both sides.

Thiagoal

I think City were well and truly there for the taking and I suspect we would have beaten them if we hadn’t had a hard game midweek

Acquire Me

Or it might lose you top 4, while keeping an ambitionless manager in the job (whoever quotes this, just replay the Leipzig game and this one in your head).

Also mate, we ain’t winning no title this season. Only trophies we have a chance in are the domestic cups.
Admire the optimism, but given our home performances this year and the pathetic way we surrendered CL football, can't quite get on board with it.
We will probably not do it this year, but I have hope. We are so damn inconsistent. Ole might not be the right manager in the end as well. But I think he has changed a lot to the better and I hope he succeed. I just don’t feel confident that he will.

SuperiorXI

Being 4 points off one team is one thing. Being 6th or 7th is quite another.

Beat City today and perhaps there's optimism of title challenges. Draw today none at all.
We've beaten Wbrom at home. Out of SIX home games.
Given how tight it is at the top of the table, there's not much point in looking at the positions this early on. One or two wins changes the whole picture.

Gasolin

It remains to be seen if we're consistently even in the top four race yet.

We haven't beaten Tottenham, Chelsea, Arsenal or City at home.
You can't be in a title battle without beating anyone of note.
It's still a result game, and our run of fixtures is becoming easier for a while. 4 pts gap at the end of Dec, or less, can be leveraged. Let's just see how it goes.

JG3001

For those fans out there who are confused by those of us who are disappointed:

it’s not the draw that is the problem, it’s the manner in which it came about.

sidsutton

Are we the worst team at playing it out from the back from goal kicks? We rarely get out of our own third without giving it away.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
For those fans out there who are confused by those of us who are disappointed:

it’s not the draw that is the problem, it’s the manner in which it came about.
No you’re right, the draw in itself isn’t the problem, the fact the whole game was played like that was the aim is the problem. Two teams fighting each other and ending up with a draw is one thing, what I’ve just watched was another ...

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
There was a point in the second half where Martin Tyler decided to go full Partridge and said

De... BRUYNE
De... GEA
De... ARBY

And it was at that point I just questioned what the meaning of life was... And why its so futile.

Speako

Ole has just said that was the best performance he’s seen us put in against City in his time, and that ‘everyone should be happy with the draw’. There are no other words needed.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
No you’re right, the draw in itself isn’t the problem, the fact the whole game was played like that was the aim is the problem. Two teams fighting each other and ending up with a draw is one thing, what I’ve just watched was another ...
Agree. If the teams had gone for it and it ended a draw, it would have been enjoyable. The fact neither side wanted to lose to the detriment of trying to win was awful.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yeah we should have gone for them, but happy with the point. Would have taken it before the game.
Trouble is the teams at the top still have to play and could pull even further ahead. Glad we got a clean sheet, but not sure it was too difficult to get.

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 271 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 19% Man Utd 2:1 Man City
  • 15% Man Utd 1:3 Man City