LC L League Cup Semi-Final

Manchester United 0:2 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Wed, 06 January 2021

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
When I look at our line-up tonight though, there isn’t one player who is technically competent enough. City’s control and passing is so much more reliable. We may have players who are very effective at certain things but the basics are really lacking. So many donkey touches and errors.

SexyBecksy

We were home schooled by a much better team,
guess we're going for the 3rd this season.

OLLY ORANGE

The better team on the night won.
They took their big moments. The first goal sucked the little momentum we had from the end of the first half. Silly free kick to give away by Mctominay for that first.

always_hoping

United the architects of their own downfall in a semi final once again. Not one but two poorly defended corner kicks. City at no stage looked likely to concede goal as soft as those and the first goal in that cagey affair was always likely to make a telling difference.

Moving on to FA Cup next, more than half of tonights team need a rest and be prepared right for two hugely important league games against Burnley and Liverpool.

redom

City are probably the worst team to play after a busy Xmas period, especially since they've come into some form recently. If you're half a yard short and feeling a bit leggy they'll take full advantage and just pass you to death.

I only saw the second half but we had our moments where we could've punished them but overall it's hard to say we deserved anything from that. Hopefully it doesn't impact our league form as confidence must've been sky high going into this one, which makes it more disappointing we didn't put up a better fight.

Paddymcc

City players wanted it more and worked harder. Simple as that.

When Bruno had a shot form a half volley in the second half I counted 10 city players in their own box working to stop United getting a free chance. Sums it up.

MikeeMike

Lack of quality in our final third play really let us down tonight. Some very sloppy passing and touches.
Pretty much sums up the difference. Too many below par showings tonight. That, coupled with City hitting form and we hardly troubled them.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
As an Ole outter I'm quite happy, it's been a tough time recently but hopefully this is the beginning of the end for the Norwegian fraud and his lutefisk brand of football.

It's just a shame now that Poch is at PSG because we still had an opportunity to be saved.
FFS! What a shit post. You're quite happy to see us lose as it suits your agenda?

What absolute wank!

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
We need to grow a set of balls for the FA Cup, I don't think Ole realises that these players need to taste victory, if we keep crumbling in semi finals I dread to think how we'll cope with a title run in.

Jackal

I feel like that is a good example of what Baily brings to the table instead of Vic. No way Baily lets the ball run past him for the first goal.
And with Bailly in the side, Maguire and the rest can push up knowing Bailly's pace can recover any uncertainty.

Ole is tactically naive. He could have played Bailly today and have him rest against Watford. Ole has ruined the momentum we had going now because of selecting two snail centre-halves in his defence.

What a shitshow!

The Hilton

City were by far the better team and deserved the win.

They're playing as well as they have for about 18 months. They're more of a worry than Liverpool right now regards the title.
They didn't create anything from open play and scored through a couple of set pieces.

Shimo

City completely deserved that. You'd think the manager would respond after going down 1 in a semi final but, same old story, he just had no idea how to affect a game like that.

I know a little while back he said we have to allow for Bruno to take risks but, that's resulted in today him not giving 2 fecks about being some what professional, stupid flicks, ridiculous outside of the boot attempts at passes and shots from 40 yards out. Should have been pulled to allow Martial/Greenwood/Rashford a shot to push city back.

Oh well - hopefully get a reaction on Saturday.

Scholsey2004

I actually thought we played quite well except for in the final third. They've still definitely got the edge on us quality wise though which is disappointing.

DickDastardly

Ole needs to learn from his memory.

He played with 4 strikers ffs.
When it didn't work for Cole and Yorke, Fergie would change them for Teddy and Ole.

And he didn't wait until the 80' to do it too.

You could see Rashford and Martial weren't up for it. Constantly in offside positions or just plain wank (Tony).

Change them ffs.

Also, we need a new CF. Now!!

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
City wanted it more. Simple. Some players heads just drop when things dont go right. Need to sort that out. Looking at Rashford and Martial in particular.

Judas

Open to offers
City should walk the league from here, they look like they're starting to really kick into gear.

We looked tired and simply not good enough. You felt the only chance we had was off a City error. Too many players just not on it.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
As an Ole outter I'm quite happy, it's been a tough time recently but hopefully this is the beginning of the end for the Norwegian fraud and his lutefisk brand of football.

It's just a shame now that Poch is at PSG because we still had an opportunity to be saved.
Why tf are you even here?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
We can't defend set-pieces. Bruno has a bad game and we fail to create much.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Pretty much sums up the difference. Too many below par showings tonight. That, coupled with City hitting form and we hardly troubled them.
Their defence concentrated for 90, ours didn't, and we constantly gave the ball away in positions where we should have hurt them

just4fun

Stand back and stand by. Perhaps your prayers for less will be answered? I myself hope for glory this season.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
On balance we were OK in the first half, but we didn't force the issue enough in the second and were made to pay by a good team. Going out in semi finals has become an unwelcome thing but I'm not devastated by any means to be out of that competition. I'd like to see us develop a more ruthless edge in big games like semis and crunch league ties; if we drift out of more of these type of games in this manner it will be very disappointing.

RedIan

City were far better team... they bossed the first 30 minutes, we had a decent 15- 20 mins.
2nd half they bossed it and we went to rat shit.

Scott and Fred are not in the same league as city’s midfielders at this level of game. Fred grafts and disrupts but then makes a crap pass or gets caught dwelling on the ball. Scott just isn’t consistently good enough and lacks the quality to get any control in midfield. We really need to upgrade these two if we want to compete with the very top teams (which city are)

martial very poor today, constantly lost possession, cities defence had him in their pockets... he is Inconsistent which is not good enough at this level of game.

fps

Good match. Man City just had the edge on performances as Dias sniffed out Martial, and Pogba couldn’t influence the match while Man City’s key players were menacing and busy.

Dr. StrangeHate

City just sat us down and showed us the difference between an actual elite side and a top 6 side on a great run of form.
This is how I saw it. It reminded me of the Conor vs Mayweather fight with Conor as Ole and Mayweather as Pep.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Not the best. Front 3 didn't click at all tonight. Could've done with Cavani.

Give a bunch of em a rest in the FA Cup and regroup for the league.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

:lol::eek::lol::eek::lol:

Hammondo

City were not good and we were worse. Nothing really positive to mention.

pascell

The amount of goals were conceding, without looking like we're learning from our mistakes is very worrying. Our passing in the final third is also becoming a problem.

Hughie77

Very good game 2 very good sides, cup games are like this city were excellent, and so were we for large parts of this game. Difference is we made errors that were punished. Theres were not. Also they've improved since few weeks ago. They've spent there time they've had improving there game it showed. Disappointed with result but not the performance or attitude of players.

Burnley on Tuesday is now the most important game. Watford on Sat i dont really mind what happens. Good game proper game.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything

Please tell me you're being sarcastic?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Unfortunately they’re better than us. We’re closer than last year - and should have made a lot more of some of the positions we got into but tonight didn’t tell us anything we didn’t already know. We still need to improve.

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 241 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 38% Man Utd 2:1 Man City
  • 10% Man Utd 1:2 Man City