PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:2 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Sat, 06 November 2021

sparx99

Uhm. We had only one shot on their goal, and Bailly had one on ours. Was there another one from us? Could be true. It's so sad I want to bundle up and sob :(
Lindelof nearly scored an own goal which De Gea saved.

The Red Thinker

Na man... I'm Ole out. Held out for 3 years hoping this sort of rubbish would be gone by now. To be sitting at home like fecking Newcastle and inviting the punishment... when you have some of the greatest attacking threats in the world is criminal. Especially when he's been in charge for 3 years... feck this.

For the folk around during Ferguson's initial period when it was touch and go for him was it ever as bad as this? I'd suspect not!
Yes it was. Ole has a vastly superior squad than Fergie had in the late eighties. Didn't we finish something like twelfth in 1989?

always_hoping

Expected City to win by at least a 2 goal margin so no surprise with that end result. Lack of effort and amount of mistakes from these United players is a painful watch.

Contest over at half time and amazingly that was Pep first PL Manchester Derby win against Ole's United in 5 attempts and he won't get many easier Derby wins than that which included two gifts of goals.

The positive is the international break and I don't have to watch this flaky group of United players in action midweek or next weekend.

Last edited:

wolvored

Well no one was surprised by the result. We were beaten by a team without a striker and their record signing not on the pitch.
Shit coaching Shit system Shit Manager.
On paper there is a good expensively bought squad there, so its got to be down to how they are set up and coached. Please sack the coaching staff and manager asap

MyDevil

He is so blind that he can't see the empty space on our right midfield which City exploited. Could have asked Greenwood to drop in there in first half.

And second half, did we even show up? I just saw a City training session.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Keane “Foden just said that it’s a tough place to come. It’s not. Ask Everton. Ask Aston Villa.”

Keane “I wasn’t shocked when Bailly sliced that into his own net. He’s erratic. McTominay, Fred - these aren’t good enough for Manchester United.”

City never left first gear. No subs made by them because players weren’t tired at all - played at walking pace.

The gap between us is enormous - as big as it’s ever been.

AWB needs dropping, as does Shaw, Maguire, Greenwood and McTominay.
Funny thing. People who only look at the score line might think we did well. That’s how fecked it is under Ole and he’s spent so much and has the best squad in post SAF

koop

Uhm. We had only one shot on their goal, and Bailly had one on ours. Was there another one from us? Could be true. It's so sad I want to bundle up and sob :(
yup Lindelof nearly scored an own goal too from a cross, DDG had to make a save

justsomebloke

We had nothing. Just nothing. Thoroughly outclassed in every aspect of the game. Arguably, this was a defeat as humiliating and comprehensive as the loss against Liverpool, though the score was kinder. I think it was beyond the 20-minute mark before we even had a relatively sustained sequence of ball control within City's half, never mind an actual attack. Shortly after there was Ronaldo's magnificent volley - and then not a scoring chance for the rest of the game, or hardly even a proper attack. In the second half, City was just playing keep-the-ball, much like Liverpool after 0-5, and we made that ridiculously easy for them by the absence of any coordinated or energetic press. We just buckled.

This is the second game in a row where we start with 3 at the back, let in two and then have to switch to 4231 mid-game. Perhaps that's a sign it's not the solution?

Also, what was the game plan here? We played 3 at the back AND a flat midfield 3 AND Greenwood operating behind Ronaldo rather than threatening the backspace. Unless you can dominate the midfield and the game generally (as if), that basically leaves you with two attackers, which means you rely pretty much on counterattacking. But is Ronaldo going to do that? He's not that kind of player. How could this possibly succeed?

Also for the second straight game, the opposition really is tightly onto Bruno all of the time, effectively taking him out of the game.

Anyway, this really isn't going anywhere. We did well against Tottenham, but this game as well as Atalanta were just firm confirmations that this has now run its course, and a change needs to be made.

Pace Abuser

How can you watch this and still back Ole? Why do you people watch football when you know nothing?

Lee565

In typical low standards set by ole he obviously played for damage limitation knowing the win against spurs and draw to atalanta was good enough to save him as long as he didn't get thrashed by city, well done you fraudulent coward

Tony247

Lindelof had another shot on his goal

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
He fecking set up in the first half like a team defending a 1-0 lead with 5 minutes to go. The result flattered us. This is horrible!
It was soul destroying watching that second half. I mean, the first was abysmal to be fair, but i genuinely think we went out in the second half to defend a 0-2 loss and keep the score down. I genuinely think that was the plan for the second half. The standards are in the toilet, so a 0-2 loss will be looked at as some sort of fecked up "result".
Agreed and agreed. God this is depressing, but what's more depressing is that the feeling of depression isn't new.

Red Royal

Embarrassing performance. No shame in getting beat by City but the manner of the defeat, the continuous mistakes, lack of passion and leadership and the poor tactics mean that Ole can't or should not escape this. I have been patient with him and the squad he has built is very good but this has to stop now.

imonkmc

Utd have a tactically inept manager, we had an improving young team and the system was working, we bought varan to improve defence, sancho to cover right wing. Now instead of buying ronaldo we should have a bought a holding midfielder and that would have improved the team over all. Ronaldo will score goals but I think utd will play overall better football if we play rashford instead of ronaldo as a striker.

Oranges038

Terrible game everyone involved. No effort, desire, work rate, nothing to say that anyone of them is arsed anymore.

Roy looks like it hurt him immensely just watching it.

Red Viking

Manchester United is looking like it is being managed and run by Trump University graduates at this point. In life it´s important to know when to quit and move on to the benefit of the organization you work with. The worst traits that a management can posses is stubborness and ineptness together and it have infected this club from top down.

Saddy

We only had a chance with that formation with Cavani upfront - 5 defenders who can't defend and zero presence in midfield.

This team have given up and top 4 is now a mountain to climb - surely enough for the sack.

Soulless and totally lacking any winning mentality - fecking disgrace !

AFC NimbleThumb

Fine margins, tbh. I don't think anyone could have watched that game and come to the conclusion that we couldn't have turned it around at any point with just a little bit for luck. A loose 50/50 here, a poor pass there, but we dug in, hit them on the counter a few times and looked generally threatening.

That was terrible!
Ah, white text.

Dempsey19

Sack him and all the coaching staff. Get on the phone to Erik Ten Haag to come in with a team of actual coaches.

It has to be done.

Judas

Open to offers
Comfortably worse than the Liverpool performance, even if it was only 2-0. That doesn't tell the whole story. Gutless, pathetic, insipid, tragic. A disgusting effort in such a big game.

If Ole is in charge of our next match, it's proof that the club is so unbelievably fecked.

Nogbadthebad

Poor by the players, but the underlying issue there was how we set up.

Massive gaps between attackers and the rest of the team, and 7 defenders against a team that don't play a striker.

Importantly, they had very clearly not been drilled as to what to do when out of possession, what space to cover and so on.

The spurs game was the worst thing to happen to us, because we were in reality no better than before, just they were much, much worse. But it convinced ole that all he had to do was sit 7 behind the ball.

This is the result.

Players were awful, but the whole thing was an example of what happens when coaches don't do their jobs.

Theonas

Scout
At this point, I really can't understand how he won't resign. How can his pride and dignity allow him to walk out at OT again? Any half decent respecting professional should be embarrassed by this. We are one of the top most valuable teams in the planet and can't string two passes together, let alone sustain any pressure long enough to create a chance after three years of his coaching. The only comparable miserable performance in football I can think of is Bartomeu as Barcelona president.

wolvored

Fergie didn't spent 500M and 3 seasons. Granted it's the 80s, inflation and all that.
Fergie spent a fortune at the time, but it led to something, as they were being coached competently. You know this isnt.

Ixion

Keane can't even bring himself to criticise the team, said he feels sorry for them

JSC

At least we've got the 4th place trophy to contend for this season....let's go again.
The club have just overseen a 4th world class manager arrive at another “top 4 club”. Utd will be very lucky to make it top 4 in all honesty. It wouldn’t shock me if we didn’t.

Tony247

Owenis spot on. Decide the structure, let weqk players get exposed, then weed them out but never compromise on system.

Ole is doing exactly opposite.

Jibbs

Same old dross. No point arguing anymore that this side is capable of challenging for the title under right manager.

Player Ratings

3.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 324 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Man Utd 1:3 Man City
  • 14% Man Utd 2:1 Man City