PL L FA Premier League

Manchester City 3:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 03 March 2024

erikcred

I must be the only one who thought we played well as a team. Out forwards were missing or abysmal, Rashford the worse.

But the overall team performance for 60-70 minutes gave me shades of a mix of United away to RM in SAF last season and the home match against Barca at OT when Scholes scored a wonder goal.

In the first half. We gave up possession but were the better team because our goalkeeper and defenders did their jobs to perfection. This led to us actually having the better opportunities than City. Just like our away match to RM in 2012/13

:houllier:

Coops73

I’m thinking I’d rather they win a fourth straight title than Liverpool a 20th, that being said I’d rather arsenal beat both of them to it, though this is the least likely.

feck me , that all sounds bloody tragic.

The Irish Connection

To be fair, Rashford and Garnacho fluffed two or three good chances. If we had been clinical we could have got something.
But overall they deserved it.

Hope we have a really good summer transfer window.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
James, Cucurella, Silva, Badiashile, Sanchez all missing who would’ve started.
Puhlease. Only James and Silva fully fit start. The rest are bench material or lucky to make the match squad.

With Chelsea depth of resources those few out is no hinderance. Compare that to United losing the entire natural left side if defence. Plus the back up right back who could have allowed Dalot to switch to left back over Lindeloff. It's not even close!
It's laughable you are attempting to compare this Chelsea XI:
Petrovic

Gusto
Disasi
Colwill
Chirlwell

Enzo
Caicedo

Palmer
Gallagher
Sterling

Jackson

And Bench:
Mudryk, Madueke, Bettinelli, Chalobah, Nkunku, Gilchrist, Samuels-Smith, Casadei

To the XI and bench United were able to put out yesterday. Shame on you!!

Last edited:

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I must be the only one who thought we played well as a team. Out forwards were missing or abysmal, Rashford the worse.

But the overall team performance for 60-70 minutes gave me shades of a mix of United away to RM in SAF last season and the home match against Barca at OT when Scholes scored a wonder goal.

In the first half. We gave up possession but were the better team because our goalkeeper and defenders did their jobs to perfection. This led to us actually having the better opportunities than City. Just like our away match to RM in 2012/13

The second half was backs against the wall like the SF at home to Barca and we still created some great opportunities. The weaklink was really Rashford not controlling a ball that would have put him through on goal, fluffing a half volley, and then diving/falling when through on goal. He was at the quality he’s hyped up to be he’d have 1-2 more goals, we win the match and people call this match a masterful performance.
Good post.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Pity about the mistake at the end that let the hulk score. I loved him miffin earlier. Played well against the nation state overall. This might look different in a few months … horrendous injuries. People worked as a team today, Bruno worked his socks off. Proud to support United and despise those boring plastic cheats.

Overhaul FC

Varane was immense. Onana very good. Casemiro and Mainoo did their job for an hour of screening the defence.

We should've been more clinical on the counter in that first half and could've been 2.0 up. The Haaland miss in the first half was a big stroke of luck.

We would've been better with Martinez, Shaw and Hojlund in the lineup so I'm satisfied with the performance today considering City are at their peak. Meanwhile we have key players missing.

I liked the tactical plan and I'm not bothered what fans think about it being negative. If you can't understand the difference between where we are as a squad and where City are in their cycle, you need to start watching another sport.

With Hojlund, Martinez and another couple of starting calibre signings this summer I will be confident going into the big games against Liverpool and City. Save the comment and quote it next season if you like...

Reactions: Jippy

Bert_

The second half was backs against the wall like the SF at home to Barca and we still created some great opportunities. The weaklink was really Rashford not controlling a ball that would have put him through on goal, fluffing a half volley, and then diving/falling when through on goal. He was at the quality he’s hyped up to be he’d have 1-2 more goals, we win the match and people call this match a masterful performance.
Thought the same. Tactically we were sound today. Individual mistakes cost us. No idea why our defenders and midfield can have good games but then do something moronic like loft a pass across our own box whilst being pressed. And receivers seemingly terrified of just booting the ball to away from danger and try to recycle possession no matter the risk.

Ibrahimorich

Not really sure what a lot of you posting here were expecting? We have no strikers. No left backs. They're bringing world cup winners off the bench. We can't even afford a loan deal.

What other tactics was he supposed to use? Basically he got it spot on in the first half but their quality told once we had to bring the dregs on from the bench.

Tyrion

I think we were OK. Not good though. A good performance of that kind would have meant more chances on the counter and less chances for them.

JediSith

Thought the same. Tactically we were sound today. Individual mistakes cost us. No idea why our defenders and midfield can have good games but then do something moronic like loft a pass across our own box whilst being pressed. And receivers seemingly terrified of just booting the ball to away from danger and try to recycle possession no matter the risk.
I think playing out from the back, especially some of the most riskier stuff, was actually the best aspect of our game today and lead to some of our best play.

I know it has its risks as we found out late in the game with City’s 3rd goal. But it’s the risk you have to take and realistically the only way to master it is to do it against the best teams. I thought our play stagnated after about 60 minutes or so when the defenders kept passing it back to Onana too much hoping for him to find a long pass, almost like they didn’t want to take responsibility any more.

Best example I can think of is John Stones. I remember he’d get praised as England’s best young CB prospect but then slaughtered whenever he made mistake for not just kicking it out. But to master it you have to keep doing, make the mistakes and improve.

Betson

This is the most painful thing. When we were one of the best teams in the world, Liverpool or City still always gave us a game. I can't remember any game against either that we dominated to this extent, and it's not like they had brilliant squads at the time. They were full of dross but never allowed themselves to be utterly humiliated by a rival.
Exactly , I was a thinking the same thing , especially with Liverpool . We never expected anything easy off them and the games were nearly always very competitive. These days it is a shock if Utd get anything out of these games and a surprise if we are not hammered.

It is criminal how the standards at this club have been allowed plummet , to the extent that some fans are celebrating it as a good result of we are not hammered as if we were a league two team taking on a top premier league team in the cup.

redshaw

Feel dirty after watching it really. Such an overt state bought self sponsored cheating vehicle fabrication. Players running around in Etihad shirts, double sized Etihad hoardings, Etihad named stadium, UAE waterfronts and airways constantly revolving. Imagine Norway buying us to do the same thing under dodgy means.

Infinite Blackburn leapfrogging many clubs that put in decades of work to build, same with Saudi buying Newcastle. City were in and out the league, Newcastle heading out and get the lottery win. Pep's still there with his wife moving out ages ago.

I have no respect for these facile endeavors, just because they can. Throwing money at golf and splitting it up. Should Germany do the same, then next should France just for the feck of it, no they leave it.

Last edited:

Theonas

Scout
Exactly , I was a thinking the same thing , especially with Liverpool . We never expected anything easy off them and the games were nearly always very competitive. These days it is a shock if Utd get anything out of these games and a surprise if we are not hammered.

It is criminal how the standards at this club have been allowed plummet , to the extent that some fans are celebrating it as a good result of we are not hammered as if we were a league two team taking on a top premier league team in the cup.
I think the main difference is that Liverpool and especially City back in those years knew their place and had a clear identity. They were plucky underdogs and there was no stigma those days to going out and making it a pure fight. They were made up largely of British players and it was fair game in the eyes of the general public that thay will do anything to make it difficult for the mighty Manchester United.

We are in some form of identity crisis nowadays. Our level on the pitch is between 4th and 7th but we are treatd off the pitch as a top 3 side. Playing ultra defensive and physical tactics is very much criticzed these days and is seen as not befitting a big club. Majority of players playing today grew up in this culture where the best teams are dominant and pro active. We end up being clearly not good enough to compete but also not culturally or mentally equipped to play like plucky underdogs. Not to mention that the levels of ball control and speed the likes of City are reaching are just bonkers, no one has ever monopolised the ball in the PL the way they do. It makes underdog tactics back in the day extremely limited.

git_united

I agree with much of your post but this bit’s not right. Foden was one v one (‘cancels out’ Rashford’s miscontrol), Haaland missed a sitter. Rashford’s fluffed half volley going away was a lower percentage shot than Rodri’s volley that was saved. I think 1-1 would have been a fair half time result. But I get your general point that we looked decent (excluding the final 3rd) for an hour or so.

Stig

Agreed but shouldn’t it have then been a corner? Ref was shocking today in my opinion.
Didn't see what happened re the corner. I will say that although Edison took the ball sometimes when they slide through, get the ball and then clatter the other person they are considered "out of control" and it's a foul and sometimes it's not.

Red00012

Feel dirty after watching it really. Such an overt state bought self sponsored cheating vehicle fabrication. Players running around in Etihad shirts, double sized Etihad hoardings, Etihad named stadium, UAE waterfronts and airways constantly revolving. Imagine Norway buying us to do the same thing under dodgy means.

Infinite Blackburn leapfrogging many clubs that put in decades of work to build, same with Saudi buying Newcastle. City were in and out the league, Newcastle heading out and get the lottery win. Pep's still there with his wife moving out ages ago.

I have no respect for these facile endeavors, just because they can. Throwing money at golf and splitting it up. Should Germany do the same, then next should France just for the feck of it, no they leave it.
The sponsored training tops that Walker and Foden wore for the post match interview did it for me. You could see they were just thrown on for the interview . Jerseys still on underneath :lol:

JediSith

I agree with much of your post but this bit’s not right. Foden was one v one (‘cancels out’ Rashford’s miscontrol), Haaland missed a sitter. Rashford’s fluffed half volley going away was a lower percentage shot than Rodri’s volley that was saved. I think 1-1 would have been a fair half time result. But I get your general point that we looked decent (excluding the final 3rd) for an hour or so.
Can’t really argue with your points Halaand 99% of the time scores that. I think the save from Rodri was a good save, but one that if it went in we’d blame the keeper. Foden’s 1vs1 was very good goal keeping.

The issue I have with Rashford’s opportunities is that for 2 of them we didn’t get to see the full outcome of the move due to his limitations, and at least one came while we were still ahead. So if we go 2 up who knows.

NoPace

Agree with this but the chances were similar.

City a bit unlucky not to create a single great chance via 15 corners and sheer possession off of which at some point maybe you get a deflected cross or shot that causes chaos in the box.

We've played much worse many times this season, just against weaker teams.

It's crazy we've spent as much money as we have and the subs were all children and guys who need to be playing for a 6th placed side in Serie A.

lex talionis

Given the injury situation and the turmoil with certain players who have collapsed on us, I thought we held up pretty well under the strain. For a long spell it looked as though we might slither out with a point.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Given the injury situation and the turmoil with certain players who have collapsed on us, I thought we held up pretty well under the strain. For a long spell it looked as though we might slither out with a point.
Meh.I've been a United supporter for nearly 60 years. We never looked like getting anything today. Even at 1 nil up.

RedDevil250

Giving up more shots than amount of possession has to be some sort of record. Certainly for a big club.

The scoreline is flattering. That was a joke. I'd expect Sheffield United to put up a better fight than that.

padzilla

Hipster
Spending over a billion to approach these games like a non-league side holding on for dear life. Absolutely dire.

NICanRed

One yellow card (Varane) in a derby! Is this a record? Considering the amount of defending we had to do I think this is impressive - a good sign of discipline.

Cessna

Better than expected. I saw people predicting 4-0, 5-0 7-1 and the like. I guess these people are the same as those that end up talking about the "laughable" performance today.

Losing by 2 goals or more away to City is probably something that all fans except Liverpool fans will manage to accept. Also... United has Shaw, Maguire, Martinez, AWB out along with Højlund. These are all either starters or 2nd choices.

All in all, 3-1 is quite the result.

miliebrowndivorceattorney

Up and untill the 50th minute nobody was criticising Man United. The pundits praising how Ten Hag finally found a way to keep ball stealing high press City, quiet. Me, I actually thought why not offer a draw now and stop the clock. :)

Thanks for the perspective on the RM away game 13/14.

Last edited:

erikcred

Better than expected. I saw people predicting 4-0, 5-0 7-1 and the like. I guess these people are the same as those that end up talking about the "laughable" performance today.

Losing by 2 goals or more away to City is probably something that all fans except Liverpool fans will manage to accept. Also... United has Shaw, Maguire, Martinez, AWB out along with Højlund. These are all either starters or 2nd choices.

All in all, 3-1 is quite the result.
And we used to mock Arsenal for celebrating top 4 finishes and Klopp for celebrating a draw against Stoke. Footballing karma I guess.

justsomebloke

It was a great start and really not the worst of efforts. And Onana had a superb game. But in the end , it became one of those evenings defined by a bundle of annoying things:

- Bad refereeing - I literally no longer understand where the line goes for penalties. There is zero question that Ederson clips down Garnacho. He's on the ball first, but that doesn't prevent those situations being called for fouls at other times and elsewhere on the pitch. Players get yellow cards for those situations. And VAR checks it, and rubberstamps it. Unbelievable.

- Loss of focus. Both of City's goals follow directly two questionable calls against us at the other end. For the second at least, you see Bruno and Garnacho remaining standing about moping in City's half.

- Rashford. Scores a wondergoal, then is almost completely useless for the rest of the game. Fecks up almost literally every single involvement he has. Goal aside, that's as bad as I've ever seen him.

- Substitutions. Forson - just....why? He never ever contributes anything. Meanwhile, Amad remains on the bench. And Amrabat simply is not a PL level player. He's lost.

- Post match comments: Seriously, what is EtH on? Does he think saying that makes anything any better? He just comes across as either delusional or a liar.

Swearing Budgie

Everyone accepts that the players at our disposal are inferior to those at City. Do our players know that though?

When setting up for this game, did ETH say to his charges “right, man for man they are waaaay better than us, so we will play a 10-man defence and try to catch them on the break”?

Would SAF have done that? Nah, he would have just said it’s 11 men v 11 men. Go out there and be better than your opposite number. If you don’t think you can do that then you are at the wrong club.

JeffFromHK

Last night's shoot on target was 27-2, possession was 74%-26%

United away to RM in SAF's last season: shoot on target (real)19-9 (united), possession 60%-40%
United home match against Barca in 2008: shoot on target (barca) 17 - 10 (united), possession: 62%-38%

not as extreme as yesterday

SteveCoppellFan

The only gripe i have with the game is how negative we are when we play City, it was the same again yesterday.

Its like we go into this fixture hoping to just not get embarrassed.

Supposedly lesser teams give City more trouble than us because they accept they are probably going to lose but will give it a go regardless.

We have assembled a squad that is full of players who lack the character most City players have.

Lee565

Its a bit harsh to criticise rashford for the man City first goal, without his wonder goal we probably would have been embarrassed scoreline wise and gave us at least a glimmer of hope of something to hold onto.

Eddy_JukeZ

You are absolutely correct, but it won't stop the bedwetters.
He is literally factually incorrect.

We had way more shots and possession in both games under SAF that he referenced than in this game.

Oranges038

It was an unusually well organised defensive setup. For me in terms of the game, Utd could have tried to break out a few more times, but the physicality City have with Walker and Ake, is excellent at stopping those. I think there was one instance where Garnacho tried to knock the ball past Walker just outside the box and he just stood there and blocked him off. Utd lack physical strength around the pitch.

Anyway, that setup was enough to see out a draw in the Liverpool game, and it was similar too in terms of half chances on the break. On another day it could have finished the same scoreline as this game.

Evans going off was a massive blow to the defence in terms of organisation and structure.

On the other side, Pep taking Doku off was a huge for them, he was very poor (I don't think he's all that good anyway), had he stayed on their attacks would have continued to die with him.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
I’m thinking I’d rather they win a fourth straight title than Liverpool a 20th, that being said I’d rather arsenal beat both of them to it, though this is the least likely.

feck me , that all sounds bloody tragic.
I feel exactly the same because whatever trophies City win or records they set are meaningless because of their cheating. In some ways the more they win the more meaningless it all is. Much as I loathe the scousers they are at least an organically grown club whose achievements are genuine and them getting a 20th would be very hard to take. C'mon Arsenal, get the finger out!

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 235 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 13% Man City 3:0 Man Utd
  • 12% Man City 4:0 Man Utd