PL W FA Premier League

Middlesbrough 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 19 March 2017

ice-bionic red

Needed the 3 points but taking Mata off for Rojo around 65mins to defend for the rest of the game? Really?

Spineless tactics that could have fecked our CL quests up completely

sunama

Baghdad Bob
This guy summed it up perfectly in the match day thread:

WOW that was tense , thought we had blown it.
Knackered team, it was all about just getting 3 points and way possible.
It was not pretty, but job done.
And the best part: we are no longer in 6th place!!!

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Good win. Away from home they were always going to attack in the last twenty minutes. Mourinho did the right thing.

MadMike

• Happy with the 3 points
  • Too negative from Mou, could have cost us.
  • Lingard, Fellaini, Valencia had good games besides their goals. Mata also good.
  • Good movement from Rash but much better finishing is required.

UP TO 5th!!

acnumber9

We played well until the unnecessary changes. It was so obvious it was coming too. Mistakes that weren't being made before became common because of the sheer panic so many bodies caused. If you're worried about crosses don't stand off the players crossing the ball.

ReallyUSA

• Everyone is injured, tired, but we won. That's all that matters. No need to be pessimistic during a great day. Mourinho is juiced up ahaha. Bailly still at it.

Kant-ona

Man Utd: 36% ball posession.

I am not a fan of this ball possession obsession. But: Wow!

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I said at the beginning winning was all that mattered. I didn't think that'd mean 7 defenders and 2 holding midfielders. But 3 points and into 5th. Job done.

Get Pogba, Zlatan, Herrera and Martial rested over the break let's get that last push til the end of the season.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Thought we played well until going with 6 at the back. Most importantly 3 points.

Lingard was very good today as was Valencia and rashford. Smalling should be gone in the summer.

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
Ill bite your hand off for the victory!
We aint 6th no more baby!

Reynoldo

Way too tense there towards the end. Think we need to get in a company shrink a la your one in Billions to get these feckers to cope with the pressure of very normal in match setback situations.

leontas

We're 5th!

Embarrassed by our performance in the second half - how many defenders do you need to stop the worst attack in the PL ever?

We should've put 5 past them today but alas we missed a lot of clear chances and just gave up attacking altogether after our second goal.

efraim

Can't be accused of being a gloryhunter
Finally! Fecking 5th! Jose got the tactics spot on in the first half and beginning of the second. Nearing the end we gave them way too much respect and space, but we won and that's all that matters.

Will Singh

All though all those defenders on the pitch look negative, we have to remember the lads are tied after all these fixtures and also the congested fixtures we have coming up. So if it gets us 3 points and keeps the players a bit more fresher I don't see why not.

Esquire

That was a pretty poor game. We were totally on the back foot for the last 30 minutes. Never should have been that close. We got to 2=0 and totally retreated into a shell. Smalling's gaffe was comical.

Red Star One

Job done. Missed four of our key players this season - Mkhi, Zlatan, Pogba, Herrera, so I can only be happy about three points. Finally above Arsenal. More wins now please, even if they look like today's game.

JON.B

Sloop
Three points, terrible tactics at the end and got lucky with the third goal when they were piling on the pressure.

VP

As great as it is to get out of 5th, those subs do leave a sour taste in the mouth - worryingly negative.

Lentwood

I have supported everything Jose has done this year but if we had dropped points from 2-0 that was completely on him and his back 6

Why on earth are we handing the opposition the initiative?

stu_1992

I think we are going to see more of this as the end of season approaches. Grinding out results. It's not exactly pretty, but at this stage of the season it's maybe necessary. I think the reason he's loading up on defensive players to give the attackers a rest.

But anyway, good result. Certainly will take that. Great goal by Lingard. That goal at the end was much needed to receive a bit of pressure though.

peridigm

We need to get back to a consistent back 4. This rotation while changing formation is making us look rediculous.

Valencia/Jones/Rojo/Blind for me.

Something has happened to Bailly.

wr8_utd

:'(
We're 5th!

Embarrassed by our performance in the second half - how many defenders do you need to stop the worst attack in the PL ever?

We should've put 5 past them today but alas we missed a lot of clear chances and just gave up attacking altogether after our second goal.
And we still couldn't stop them.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Fair fecks to Boro in that 2nd half. A pretty valiant effort from a team that has been pretty hopeless for the season so far. We certainly invited such pressure by going so deep way too early, but they caused all kinds of problems, full backs pushed right up, good deliveries and two difficult centre forwards, ones of them strapped up and limping through the game.

I wasn't optimistic, with all our key players out, but job done.

Smalling was both very good and fecking awful, all in the same game.

Godfather

Very very imporant win. I'm chuffed. Looking at who was out today I didn't expect us to win today.

freddie the red

Early missed chances and a very poor display against a week team meant this was far trickier than it should have been, only Valdes' slip at the end made it look like a decent win. 6 defenders against a team who hadn't scored for over 8 hours in the PL was embarrassing and tbh Chelsea or City would have thrashed this lot.
Happy about the win of course but we should be doing better than this. Dare I say it, but, come on City because a win for them over the dippers gives us the advantage over both Arsenal and Liverpool for 4th place.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
I thought that was a good win and a good performance..an individual error allowed them back in the game being the only difference. We simply cannot to afford to drop any points which is why Mourinho went defensive towards the end..Which I'm glad he done! A draw in the scouse shitty game will do us now!

the hea

We played well for the first 70 minutes specially in the first half we were very good and thoroughly outplayed them but Mourinho's decision to back off and try and soak up the pressure invited them back in the game.

buckooo1978

Boro are awful - certain to go down

we weren't much better and Jose's tactics are awful.... that song about playing like we should should never be sung when we're playing 6-2-2

hoping we have a few players back and available as Everton will beat us if we play like we did today

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I still think our fixture list is too rough for top four but it's nice to be out of 6th!
You're probably right, but I'm clutching to the belief that Pogba and Ibra coming back rested will be enough for a marathon finish. Rotation will have to be close to flawless to manage this fixture pile up, and with that in mind, Europa probably does represent our best chance at CL next season.

Still, good to finally move up a spot.

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 502 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Middlesbrough win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Middlesbrough 0:2 Man Utd