FA L FA Cup 4th Round

Manchester United 1:1 Middlesbrough

Post-match discussion

Fri, 04 February 2022

.Phil1968

Shocking. Never mind the handball so many chances we wasted. Dont know what to say any more about this group of players, some of them should be nowhere near Old Trafford.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I'd usually be gutted but we were really good until we had to use our none existent bench.

CL it is boys.
Mata, Elanga, Fred, Jones did alright. The fecking bench not being filled with 80m signings isn't why we lost to a championship side.

Nick7

I heard about this rule change prior to the season starting. Im suprised it isnt common knowledge around here.

Ref just followed the rules, the rules are shit, blame the rules not the ref.

Pathetic display around. We created some decent chances in the first half and thats about the only good thing there is to say.

Also people that think Pogba is our biggest problem really need to give their heads a wobble. He does some silly shit from time to time but he's 5 classes above McFred and the OAP.
The rules don’t say attacking handballs don’t count. If they did we’d be watching rugby. The ref and the linesman missed an obvious hand ball.

Cloud7

Poor Elanga. After a positive introduction to the team that’s a rough one. I hope it doesn’t dent his confidence too much as he’s been playing with a lot of that youthful freedom.

ShinjiNinja26

Garbage. Their goal was bullshit but that shouldn’t have mattered anyway as we should’ve been out of sight but instead squandered chance after chance. Also the mentality of this squad has to be seriously questioned as we seem to lose our bottle every time we’re in a penalty shootout despite being better than the opposition the majority of the time. It’s not good enough.

Rustyspider13

Robbery. I don't care how wasteful we've been in the finishing department, goals change games. Boro had nothing before that goal, they gained confidence and had something to defend afterwards.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
45 mins we played some great stuff. Triangles, third man runs, off the ball forward runs, was good.

Felt we were going to score a few more. But every chance was snatched at and rushed or scuffed.

Then we get a mental decision against us and our heads go and they get a huge lift. We get some options yet, the finishing, was even worse.

The game play deterioration was awful and we started to panic.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Does this count as our record gone. Winning at half time at home and ending up losing

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
How’s the ref and linesman missing such an obvious handball not on the ref??

Only reason it didn’t end after 90 minutes was letting them handle the ball.
Mate we'd more than enough chances to put them away.

Ronaldo and Bruno and Mr Rashford

TrueRed79

Shambolic performance after the first half. Should have won it by then. Lost for words. This squad are not up for it. Don't look like a team that are together. Too many over paid cnuts that are more interested in their brand/social media than playing for the club. We are rotten.

Infra-red

Should have won 8-1 if it wasn't for our absurd finishing. Should have won 8-0 if it wasn't for VAR.

United and penalties don't mix well these days - would happily have bet my house on us losing that shootout.

We played OK. Gutted to be out.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Bruno missing an open goal. ronaldo missing a penalty. Hit the bar.

Just one of those nights. Really should have won this comfortably.

Maybe to be critical some of the attackers were greedy. Shooting when they should pass.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
As bad as the decision was its on the players tonight and in particular the forwards except Sancho.

Redlyn

Shaw played well tonight. Sancho as well.
I think Shaw and rashford were our worst 2 players. All his crosses were over hit tonight. And Ronaldo as well actually. Sancho was good in the first half.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
The wasted chances today...

Should have been out of sight by HT.

Ronaldo was absolutely awful minus that overhead.

Heinzesight

First thing you say to a kid taking a pen, ‘don’t lean back or you’ll sky it’…feel for Elanga but it was a hideous strike.

Walters_19_MuFc

Probably the most clear cut chances we've created under RR and we lost. Some of the chances we missed were absolutely criminal, too.

I'm pissed but the positive is that we played better as a team tonight. We looked good, played attractive football, especially in the first half and as I said before, we created chances. On another day, we'd have romped it, but as soon as we missed those chances, I had a feel it wasn't to be.

Oh, forgot to mention the fact that the referee and VAR officials are a fecking disgrace, too. To give their goal is an absolute piss take but nothing we can do now.

Volksie316

Haven't scored a corner in about 10 years and are certain to lose, if it ever goes to a penalty shootout.

That says everything about the club at the moment.

eire-red

I don't know how many times I've thought "This has to be a wakeup call".. .or "We can only go up from here".

It's a bottomless pit of disappointment with this club.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
The rules don’t say attacking handballs don’t count. If they did we’d be watching rugby. The ref and the linesman missed an obvious hand ball.
You forgot the word accidental.

Again I'm not defending the rules, they're shit.

Heymrtangerineman

I'm at a loss for words. Losing on pens at home against a Championship side. Why? Why does all of this have to happen? I just don't understand. Just one break. Please...
Better to expose the cracks for all to see rather than paper over them. They were rubbish. We were 6 out of 10 at best so even though they didn't deserve to go through, in a way neither did we. It's not like one of those rare Ferguson losses where we blamed bad luck. It's one of the losses we have become all too familiar with due to atrocious management from top to bottom.

Red_Aaron

Played more than well enough to win this game though you could feel the nerves from around 80mins and I never felt we'd get a late goal

Absolutely mental decision to allow their goal, no justification for it at all. The ref is looking straight at it and should be blowing before it even hits the net. Complete joke

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Manchester United defenders have no right to pass back to the keeper when you're going for a win. If you're gonna pass back to the keeper, go play for another club. Unacceptable.

Statue of Limitations

Their goal should not have stood, even Pool mate of mine agrees.

We battered them, should have scored at least 3, but 5 would not have flattered us.
Cannot believe we are out, just feels so deflating, I'm glad I'm drinking....

FFS :(

Nick7

Mate we'd more than enough chances to put them away.

Ronaldo and Bruno and Mr Rashford
Yep, and we finished enough chances to put them away if the ref did his job. I’m not happy about our finishing, far fecking from it, but it still stands that if the ref did his job we’d have won in 90 minutes.

MetoTTT

We should not be blaming VAR or refereeing.
The fact that we had chance after chance to win 4-1 in normal time, is what cost us.
When you can't even put the ball into an open net, you deserve to lose.
What really irritates me is that we lost to a Championship side over the course of 120 minutes. I guess that's our level.....and it sucks :mad:
This. We should've won it by 2-3 goals.

united for life

Unfortunately, our standards have dropped so much to an extent some over here think this was a good performance and that we were robbed by the ref. We should not be in that position in the first place! We should have finished the game in the first half. Wasteful by ronaldo, bruno, marcus and the rest. We don’t know how to finish games. A team like city or liverpool would’ve won using their second team. We have so so much to do.

elanga, keep your head up kid.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Cant believe this shit. And to see it coming at full time. Frankly pathetic. We were never gna be win pens.
Same here man.
At 90 mins and 1-1, I knew we were going to lose a penalty shoot-out. Borough just looked more threatening in the later stages.

lilcurt

Terrible finishing and a terrible referee knocked us out the cup.

Varane and Sancho were very good.

Ronaldo was really poor, worst game I've seen him play in years.

Shaw and Jones should be ashamed of themselves letting Elanga go up for the pen when they are veterans. You'd think Shaw particularly would have learnt not to put that burden on youngster after Saka in the summer.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 214 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Middlesbrough win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Man Utd 2:0 Middlesbrough
  • 24% Man Utd 3:0 Middlesbrough