FA L FA Cup 4th Round

Manchester United 1:1 Middlesbrough

Post-match discussion

Fri, 04 February 2022

steffyr2

I don't care what the consensus is, Ronaldo is the problem. Collectively we are worse off with him in the team. Now after the fit he threw at the Brentford game Ragnick is too chicken to sub him off and the team suffers. I can't wait till he goes.
Oh goodie. It's another one.

I am surprised that so many players went off injured/tired. Players just back from International games? Ragnick probably would have taken Ronaldo off except Pogba went off -- just back from injury I presume, Sancho went off -- hamstring?, Varane went off -- who knows why, Rashford went off because he wasn't playing well (couldn't pass).

miked99

Season over at the start of February. That's so depressing.

We played really well tonight before the legs went a bit. Should've scored a hatful quite frankly, some of the misses were almost comical. It seems so long ago since we were last clinical

Chairman Steve

I swear there must be some people who watched a completely different match or something. We were pretty good for the majority of the game and Boro was nullified for the most part.

The finishing was an abomination though. Horribly wasteful and even the most ABU of spectators will acknowledge that we should have won.

This game is truly one of those ‘shit happens’ games. We did not look clueless and play zombie football for 2 hours like we may have done in previous years. We have made progress.

HailtotheKing

We did the same against Villarreal! Couldn’t believe it then, to do it again is all the more baffling!
Agree. Stupid decision, especially when it cost us last time. What were we thinking? Always better to go first in a penalty shootout. I thought Henderson was supposed to be good at pens?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Without hyperbole, I think that may be the very worst goalkeeping performance for a penalty shoot-out that I've seen in my entire life. For most of those shots, he just kind of slumped down onto his knees without even attempting to go for the ball. If I didn't know better, I'd suspect him of intentionally throwing the game (I know he didn't, but it certainly looked that way). Never in my life have I seen a goalkeeper just neglect to attempt a save numerous times throughout a shoot-out. That was grotesquely bad.
I'd hate to see hyperbole then :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Turn the computer/phone off mate. Get to bed.
Trust me, you'll feel better.

DickDastardly

Having won the toss, why did we not elect to go FIRST given the statistical advantage??
Really frustrating.
Because our captain is a square headed lump.

Swear to god, its like their not footballers at all.

Has he never had a conversation that goes, "hey, you do know you have more chance of winning a pen shooting if you go first?"

Is he even capable of making an argument?

This team is getting harder to like each day....

We're slowly turning into Liverpool.
Dumb captains....abusing cnutish players.... German coaches ...

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
The argument that Ole should have subbed Henderson on in the Europa was answered at least

What I want to know is since when were fecking Villarreal and Middlesbrough so good at penalty’s only we could be this unlucky

Edy2

I’ll focus on the positives.

We genuinely played well and the decision to allow their goal was shambolic. Our squad doesn’t have the depth to carry across all our games. If we scrape through the CL, we’ll need the break as we definitely don’t have the depth to focus on 3 competitions.
Lots of people are saying the goal was good on the commentary etc so there might be something in that. I don't know the rules anymore.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Without hyperbole, I think that may be the very worst goalkeeping performance for a penalty shoot-out that I've seen in my entire life. For most of those shots, he just kind of slumped down onto his knees without even attempting to go for the ball. If I didn't know better, I'd suspect him of intentionally throwing the game (I know he didn't, but it certainly looked that way). Never in my life have I seen a goalkeeper just neglect to attempt a save numerous times throughout a shoot-out. That was grotesquely bad.
DDG vs Villareal was worse but this one runs it a close too. Looked pissed that he didn't save the first one and then downhill from there.

TheGame

I swear there must be some people who watched a completely different match or something. We were pretty good for the majority of the game and Boro was nullified for the most part.

The finishing was an abomination though. Horribly wasteful and even the most ABU of spectators will acknowledge that we should have won.

This game is truly one of those ‘shit happens’ games. We did not look clueless and play zombie football for 2 hours like we may have done in previous years. We have made progress.
I agree with this. Just really frustrating losing to a shite Boro side.

littlepeasoup

Narrative flips when we don’t win. Suddenly Middlesbrough played incredible, and they’re all heroes. I thought they were awful, but thankfully for them so was our finishing.

Dansk

I'd hate to see hyperbole then :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Turn the computer/phone off mate. Get to bed.
Trust me, you'll feel better.
No. I have never seen a keeper do worse in a penalty shoot-out in my life. It's not hyperbole. It was the very worst I've ever seen. Five or six of those penalties, he just collapsed on the spot and might as well not have been in goal at all.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

A lot of people can't separate the outcome with how the game actually went.

We were totally in control, apart from their 1 breakaway handball goal.

We missed an open goal, a pen, Rashy had countless lashes from 18 yards out, Ronaldo and Bruno had chances. Elanga had a header from about 6 yards out saved.

Even Keano said we could have won 4 games with the chances tonight!

And even then we lost on pens, after we'd put 6 or 7 really good ones in.

ClassOf'99

None of out front line can get any plaudits for that crap. Missed chances, passes behind players, shooting instead of passing in terrible angle, on paper and on the stats we wouldnt be even in a "miracle of the FA Cup" conversation.

On paper we are one of the strongest teams in Europe, pity our players burn that paper every game.

We diminished so drastically when Pogba, Varane, Rashford and Sancho went off.

Why on earth have we allowed players to have time off, and allowed players to go on loan if we only have Mata on the bench as out potential game changer.

So many questionable decisions being made too often....

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No. I have never seen a keeper do worse in a penalty shoot-out in my life. It's not hyperbole. It was the very worst I've ever seen.
Well unless you started watching football tonight it is, go and watch De Gea in the final a mere half a season ago.

Boro's keeper was no better. He dived over one like Hendo did, and got nowhere near any others.

Bulldog United

The man in the VAR room was MOTM for them. Absolutely disgraceful decision. I'm so angry right now i could crack open a can of beer and have a pizza.

grandslam05

I think Ronaldo is the problem. He is a legend but he is shot now.
he has completely upset the balance.

Born2Lose

Had a bad feeling about this game when I saw Rashford and Maguire starting.

They even had to defrost Mata from his cryogenic stasis on the bench.

Really does feel like one step forward, two steps back.

always_hoping

Too many of these nights since Ferguson retired.

Blaming the ref is cop out. Enough chances was created or gifted to United tonight to win that comfortably and i wouldn't trust United to win a penalty shootout against a non league team.

These highly rated United players need to have a long hard look at themselves tonight. They simply found a way to lose that game that was easy to win.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We weren't robbed.
We had 120 minutes to score 2 goals and we could not do that.
We should've scored 4+ goals today, but we were impotent in front of goal.
I won't deny that missed an absolute shitload of chances - it was the Portsmouth game revisited, but their goal should never have stood.

No ruling should exist that allows a player to prevent the ball from going out of play through the use of their hand, then passing it on to a teammate to score.

Just wow.

Grey Rider

Because our captain is a fecking idiot. Didn't learn from Bruno's mistake in the EL final even though everyone and their mother was talking about it the next day.

We really have some of the most low IQ footballers I've ever seen.
. Everything about that shootout was cursed! When the commentator said we had lost 6/7 and they had won 9/11 it seemed we had no chance. And as you say why on earth would you go second? There are well known stats that favour the team going first. And it turns out that Henderson is as crap on pens as De Gea. All those ‘hero’ dives the wrong way, does my head in.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Unbelievable. Probably one of our best performances of the season ends in humiliation.

Game should have been over at half-time when Ronaldo could have had a hat-trick, Rashford could have notched, Sancho could have had another and we generally might have been 3 or 4-nil up. We should have won the second-half comfortably too. More misses for Rashford and Ronaldo. Another absymal second-half miss for Bruno in front of the Stretford End. That’s becoming a real harbinger of doom.

We were in complete control, Middlesbrough could barely get out of their half and had so little opportunity to score. At least it was a novel problem to play like that and not win. I can’t remember the last time we were so dominant and failed to win.

Siorac

I mean, yeah, you could say we only have ourselves to blame with the tons of missed chances and the generally lacklustre performance after a promising first half - but for the life of me I don't understand how VAR took a look at that equaliser and decided it was okay.

This is as baffling as the stonewall penalties not given at West Ham earlier in the season.

TheGame

No. I have never seen a keeper do worse in a penalty shoot-out in my life. It's not hyperbole. It was the very worst I've ever seen.
You are talking complete nonsense. They were excellent penalties. He should have saved the one he dived over but that was it. The others he guessed but guessed wrong and some were not savable.

Kopral Jono

The argument that Ole should have subbed Henderson on in the Europa was answered at least

What I want to know is since when were fecking Villarreal and Middlesbrough so good at penalty’s only we could be this unlucky
And dare I say Middlesbrough's penalties tonight were arguably better compared to Villareal's and I'm not even joking, the jammy cnuts.

Nick7

VAR was correct because it was accidental hands and he didnt directly score from it.

I think incompetence should be punished so I don't think whether or not handball is an accident on the part of the player that is supposed to be controlling the ball should have to be evaluated.

Var and ref did their job. Take it up with FAs.
“It is an offence if a player:
• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball
touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised”

how exactly did the ref do his job?

lex talionis

Neither side deserved to win. We battered them but couldn’t finish. They cowered under the pressure but delivered on their pk’s.

spiriticon

The very fact that we couldn't impose our will on fecking Middlesbrough pisses me off.

This team is just so soft. Happy to play it around in midfield and outside the box, pretending to be a good team, but nobody had a clue what to do in the box. Not even Ronaldo.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Accidental doesn’t matter if the player if making their body bigger with their arms, which Watmore was.
You're just plain wrong. It shouldn't matter, but those arent the rules for offensive hands.

The ref's assessment was the player is an incapable baboon that accidentally hit his own arm.

Nick7

You're just plain wrong. It shouldn't matter, but those arent the rules for offensive hands.

The ref's assessment was the player is an incapable baboon that accidentally hit his own arm.
I’m not. Read the rules, I quoted them to you.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 214 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Middlesbrough win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Man Utd 2:0 Middlesbrough
  • 24% Man Utd 3:0 Middlesbrough