PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 22 August 2015

fatboy

We have been fielding our 5 new signings almost every match so far. That's a lot of players to bed in. 2 wins and a draw from our first 3 league matches, and 0 goals conceded. Plus a 3-1 lead in our CL qualifier. I'll take that.

Against Newcastle we were much better and created chances. Just that we faded badly and lost our shape in the middle of the game. Still the signs are there that we're improving. My main worry is Rooney's form, and that it may take LvG another 10 matches to realise that Herrera needs to to play.

Yep.

Chiding someone for posting their view on things on the basis that this is a forum for discussion and to not expect full agreement is, indeed, hugely ironic.
I'm not chiding him, I'm pointing out that it's silly to get annoyed at people discussing things in a forum, fickle or not.

RedRover

It was the same last season. Our improvement in form towards the end coincided with playing a handful of decent teams who attacked us and left gaps for us to exploit. We were able to control those games and take advantage of these teams committing players forward.

As soon as we reverted to playing 'lower' sides who set themselves up more defensively, we struggled again.
That's right. Its an unusual way to play. Having possession is fine but if it gets you nowhere then 80% of the teams United play will be happy to let you have it.

If we're going to play like this we need to me more expansive and add pace to the side.

Dr Fink

Out of 11 corners, 2 didn't beat the first man when they should have as there was no near post run.

A couple of the corners he took were played to the man running the near post, and each time the runner was doubled up on, so don't really count.

Not sure how you've calculated 90%
Oi OnlyNoDaSilvas (now) - from memory. Only towards the end of the match did we clear the first man. The fact that some of the corners were aimed fro the near post is irrelevant. If the first few didn't make it, then why keep trying - the opposition have obviously switched on to it. The crossing in general was abysmal on Saturday from dead-ball or in-play, which has been picked up by many in other threads. The irony is that we didn't have anyone who could head it apart from Chicha when he came on, from open play. Memphis was particularly awful at crossing after beating his man.

SoCross

Thought we played reasonably well. Feels like we are just a few games away from it all 'clicking' for us once again.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 921 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 38% Man Utd 2:0 Newcastle
  • 24% Man Utd 3:0 Newcastle