PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 22 August 2015

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
So... LVG doesn't think we need attacking reinforcements? My god I hope that's just what he thinks he has to say and not what he actually thinks.

This is turning in to the whole Fergie midfield saga. Only at least then we had an exceptional defence (which to be fair is growing again) and goals in the team. That will no doubt be our Achilles heel this season the way it going! And I really don't see it improving with the players we have.

Spoony

The People's President
Funnily enough after the Leicester game last season, I thought it was going to be a roller coaster ride with Van Gaal, whether that game forced him to turn is into Plodchester United...is anyone's guess.

RedorDead21

So... LVG doesn't think we need attacking reinforcements? My god I hope that's just what he thinks he has to say and not what he actually thinks.

This is turning in to the whole Fergie midfield saga. Only at least then we had an exceptional defence (which to be fair is growing again) and goals in the team. That will no doubt be our Achilles heel this season the way it going! And I really don't see it improving with the players we have.
LVG..."we certainly need a striker and we'll do what it takes to bring one in"......If Carlsberg did the worst signing strategy speech....

prath92

I'd take playing players in their right positions to start off with, the situation with Herrera the most frustrating aspect for me today. The style of play we're just gonna have to grin and bear because it won't change. Certainly won't win or get close to winning the league playing that way.
Who besides mata? And even mata has been good. Attacked well, even defends. He really holds up the ball well and has been very good till now. And Blind I think is playing good? So not really sure who you mean

vidic blood & sand

:lol: here comes the overreaction, we were good but couldn't get that goal. Shit happens, we'll be fine.
Yeah we still looked a little be short on fitness in the warm conditions. Movement around the box suffered in the second half. I'm actually pleased by how solid we are though. Van Gaal is trying Januzai and Depay, and both still look a little rusty. Pretty sure Rooney will drop back to the number 10 role, but that will mean we need another striker.
Ignore the overreactions. The team is being rebuilt and trying to incorporate new styles, and the players have still got to settle as a new team. We will keep improving.

marlowe78

I thought today was the day we start scoring goals. What happened?

The fact that Luke Shaw has been getting the edge for MOTM on the Cafe says a lot about what our end product has been. Yes, we did have a few decent chances and Rooney looked onside for the goal but if Mitrovic hadn't hit the bar or if that cross over the 6 yard in the last minutes of the game had someone on the end of it, the result might've been a loss and we would be a lot less philosophical about it.

Outside of the first 20 minutes and the last 15, we were really in second or third gear and getting outplayed. When you get an opponent looking that off-balance at the start of the game, it is imperative that you score or keep pushing on until you break through. Newcastle got a major let-off and for the middle part of the game we looked sloppy.

While we did cycle well, we spent most of the time with 9/10 men in front of us and continually relying on Memphis to work some kind of magic, which is unreasonable to expect from him in every game at his age. We obviously need a right wing with the same kind of makeup who can get us into dangerous areas, which is why us failing to sign Pedro especially hurts. The formation ATM is no better than when we had Young in Memphis's place (though Memphis is undoubtedly a better player), as there is no one on the right to take emphasis off of him and also help Rooney by stretching the defenders across.

I also really don't know why we played with two holders in a home game against Newcastle. Herrera is simply not going to be used and he is about the only player who can make a fast transition from the backline to the key points of attack. LVG is thickheadedly sticking with Mata as a pivot, who makes the smart play but is so bloody ponderous with his ball handling and decisions to pass that it becomes impossible to catch opponents out of position. Mata is too damn slow and I think he's killing our attack more than people will admit.

We got another clean sheet but I don't think our defence was quite as good as the previous three games. Newcastle did get a few looks and Blind, to me, looked like he was hanging by a thread a couple of times. Shaw and Darmian put in decent games but they looked seriously tired.

I can't give this performance any more than a 4 out of 10. We need a striker, a right wing, and a CB.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Cheers
  • Luke Shaw
  • Possession
  • 3 straight clean sheets
Jeers
  • The damned red card Felli picked up last season
  • Our finishing
  • Ander gone missing

Rich_H_1989

See I can't get on board with this whole over reacting business. It's not over reacting it's seeing what happened today and what has been happening for a while now.

A classic example today of how teams feel against us. At 0-0 McClaren brought in an attacking player because he felt they could win the game. No bringing on a big physical player or suring up the midfield. No no let's get the win here.

Yes we had chances but Krul will go home tonight thinking he really had nothing to do today. Couple of routine saves and a very good one on one save.

We need a striker that's so clear but at this point in the summer no big name striker is going to be allowed to leave.

JoaquinJoaquin

Yeah we still looked a little be short on fitness in the warm conditions. Movement around the box suffered in the second half. I'm actually pleased by how solid we are though. Van Gaal is trying Januzai and Depay, and both still look a little rusty. Pretty sure Rooney will drop back to the number 10 role, but that will mean we need another striker.
Ignore the overreactions. The team is being rebuilt and trying to incorporate new styles, and the players have still got to settle as a new team. We will keep improving.
You're really using the weather as an excuse? Good grief.

New ideas? We have no plan A to start with so that can't be the case. We will improve once we get the correct attacking reinforcements in, if we don't then we will have to settle for 4th or 5th.

SqueakyWeasel

Just got back! This is written without reading any other posts yet!

Well that was embarrassing, cycled nearly 40 km to watch the game in a pub in Dusseldorf. The place was full of bloody Leeds United fans on the piss who had already got an agreement with the owner that their game against Sheff Weds was on the main screen! Had to watch the whole game on a poxy small screen with the sound down while the Championship game was on the 2 big screens with the sound up! They didn't win either thanks to a wonder goal from a Sheff Weds player (Louie, Louie, sign 'im up!). But I took shit the whole game … unfortunately I think it was pretty much deservedly as well … can't say I disagree with much that was levelled at me!

Brugge seems like it was a false dawn and it looks to me like the philosophy is not working. We need some teeth up front!

I'm looking forward to the podcast … and going back through everyone else's thoughts on here!

vidic blood & sand

You're really using the weather as an excuse? Good grief.

New ideas? We have no plan A to start with so that can't be the case. We will improve once we get the correct attacking reinforcements in, if we don't then we will have to settle for 4th or 5th.
Third game in and still not looking fit enough, there's no excuse for that, because we should be fitter. But with fitness being an issue, the muggy weather would sap the energy out a lot more.
In the second half the movement upfront wasn't quick enough, but it will improve. I agree we need a decent striker, but who can that be realistically?

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
We battered them and looked really good.
Liked it.
Well said that man.

A thoroughly entertaining match where we've showed clear signs of progression from our opening 2 games. Newcastle did a good job and were well organised but on another day we'd have had the points.

We look solid and difficult to beat whilst now starting to create chances. A shrewd acquisition, or two, on the attacking front and we've got a great shot at the title.

Onwards and upwards

AKDevil

We are close. Good, solid at the back, just need creativity/pace up top. Makes the Pedro decision baffling but that's gone so will have to see what's out there. At least we are building from a solid foundation. One or two players could make a big difference.

SalfordRed1960

See I can't get on board with this whole over reacting business. It's not over reacting it's seeing what happened today and what has been happening for a while now.

A classic example today of how teams feel against us. At 0-0 McClaren brought in an attacking player because he felt they could win the game. No bringing on a big physical player or suring up the midfield. No no let's get the win here.

Yes we had chances but Krul will go home tonight thinking he really had nothing to do today. Couple of routine saves and a very good one on one save.

We need a striker that's so clear but at this point in the summer no big name striker is going to be allowed to leave.
That is not strictly correct. When Moyes killed the fear factor teams came to OT expecting to get something. Teams attacked and we lost shit loads of points. LVG had an exceptional home record last year. Maybe not fully returning the fear factor, but certainly stopping the dropping of points.

McLaren brought on an attacker because LVG practically went 3 at the back by bringing Valencia on and it was obvious that United were throwing caution to the wind. It nearly paid off for both teams.

Then again people are ignoring the fact the 2 CB for the Geordies did quite a few last ditch tackles. If you hadn't seen the match and read the OTT negativity you would think we just played keep ball and had no threat at all. Which is far from the truth.

Not vintage United yet, but certainly not crap. Also, shit does happen to all teams.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I'll say what I did after the Tottenham match and then the Villa match.

To slow to move the ball forward
Results in opposition easily getting into a strong defensive shapee
United Make life hard for themselves trying to break down 11 men.
End up passing the ball around the edge of their box
Possession is lost
***After 60mins***
Get the ball out wide
Cross as much as possible
Obviously no established headers in our attack
Possession lost

Ballache

Supports
Martial
We seem a lot more direct than last season which I like. I want to see Herrera given a chance and Hernandez too.

Sereques

People are crying out for strikers, there aren't many strikers out there. Arsenal has been looking for one for two seasons now and they are yet to find one. The mistake LVG made was letting RVP go, he should have ensured a replacement before letting the big guy leave.

Laphroaig

:lol: here comes the overreaction, we were good but couldn't get that goal. Shit happens, we'll be fine.
Yup, a step in the right direction from the first two games in that we were as in control defensively and created more. Didn't take our chances (and the one we did was disallowed). We're becoming a very good side, and the goals will come. Incredibly frustrarting not to win that game though. Obviously.

Rich_H_1989

Then again people are ignoring the fact the 2 CB for the Geordies did quite a few last ditch tackles. If you hadn't seen the match and read the OTT negativity you would think we just played keep ball and had no threat at all. Which is far from the truth.
I did actually watch the game and once again was disappointed with what I saw!

What I saw was a very very good defence by us so that's a positive. I saw Schneiderlin screening the back 4 so that's another positive. But past that as an attacking unit we looked at times clueless.

No it wasn't keep ball like some may think. Yes it was an improved attacking performance but as I've said before that's really not hard. There's still a lack of movement and teams look fairly comfortable against us.

3 clean sheets in the league should be applauded! Especially given there's been very little opportunities against us. But as an attacking force we are at times laughable.

KeaneSixteen

"All they can talk about is Manchester United."
The first 15 minutes were great to watch and we should have got a hatful of goals, but we didn't take our chances. McClaren got them reorganised into the 4-1-4-1 and we failed to break them down after that. To be fair to them they defended very well and we couldn't get a decent cross in to save our lives. When Schweinstieger came off, I'd have prefered Ander to Carrick and if Fellaini was available he would have been on for Adnan. I thought that Anita bossed Januzaj for most of the game, Fellaini would have been far more effective against him. Mata needs to be switched with Adnan as well, for the next fixture, as he's not a winger, he's a 10.

dave2528

The worst part of our performance today was that we simply missed our chances and we were wasteful in a large portion of the match. I thought that Memphis in particular had a below-par match and that he was selfish in a few occasions when we looked to be opening up the defense. Also, Januzaj was once again bullied around a bit in the 10 role.

Fair play to Krul on the save on Hernandez and on the linesman for his save on Rooney's goal.

Speaking of Rooney. I thought he played as well as any of our attacking players and actually had a decent/good performance. Of course the knives are out from all the drama queens on here still broken from the whole contract debacle, and they're going to blame him 100% when we fail to get off the mark and do so even when other players on our squad played their role less effectively and turned in poorer performances.

None of that matters though.

Overall I am disappointed that we didn't get the full 3 points but, in the end I'll be happy with another clean sheet and we still remain unbeaten.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Yup, a step in the right direction from the first two games in that we were as in control defensively and created more. Didn't take our chances (and the one we did was disallowed). We're becoming a very good side, and the goals will come. Incredibly frustrarting not to win that game though. Obviously.
Precisely, as I said it's a game of fine margins. The "offside" goal, we hit the post, had about 50 blocked shots, the Mata chance and mainly the Hernandez one, you'd bet on him scoring that 9/10 times but it's just one of them games. Still 7 points from 3 matches is not bad considering we usually start slow. There's no reason to start panicking just yet.

Question234

I'll say what I did after the Tottenham match and then the Villa match.

To slow to move the ball forward
Results in opposition easily getting into a strong defensive shapee
United Make life hard for themselves trying to break down 11 men.
End up passing the ball around the edge of their box
Possession is lost
***After 60mins***
Get the ball out wide
Cross as much as possible
Obviously no established headers in our attack
Possession lost
Nail on the head. This is the script for us.

some awful decision making on the counter, krul wasn't tested that much. Although people are prepared to write today of as unlucky the symptons of old are all there.

Still to slow on the counter, still finding it hard to break down teams. People are saying that "Newcastle organised well", or "on any other day it could of been 3-0" but im hearing these phrases far to often. If we cant break down these teams then we arent good enough. Simple.

Acole9

Outstanding
It was a frustrating watch for most of it, if we had played like we did towards the end of the match in the first half we may well have got the win. There just seemed like there was no urgency about our play, it was almost as if the players had forgotten we need to score to win the match. No wonder van Gaal wants a fast attacking player because we need it desperately.

Blue always red

First it was too many pacey players like valencia, Welbeck, nani and not enough technical players and now it's the other way around

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
People have spent the last two years saying he needs to play no.9 - he's running out of excuses
I actually agree we need a world class No. 9, the worry I have is if Rooney cannot perform the 10 role now either. Also he really wants this scoring record. Will he try to score when it would be better to pass to the No. 9?

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
Just got back! This is written without reading any other posts yet!

Well that was embarrassing, cycled nearly 40 km to watch the game in a pub in Dusseldorf. The place was full of bloody Leeds United fans on the piss who had already got an agreement with the owner that their game against Sheff Weds was on the main screen! Had to watch the whole game on a poxy small screen with the sound down while the Championship game was on the 2 big screens with the sound up! They didn't win either thanks to a wonder goal from a Sheff Weds player (Louie, Louie, sign 'im up!). But I took shit the whole game … unfortunately I think it was pretty much deservedly as well … can't say I disagree with much that was levelled at me!

Brugge seems like it was a false dawn and it looks to me like the philosophy is not working. We need some teeth up front!

I'm looking forward to the podcast … and going back through everyone else's thoughts on here!
Nice! Leeds fans here Leeds fans there...

Tibs

Rooneys shit, drop him. Give Bastian, Carrick, or even Smalling the armband

Mata must play as No.10

Herrera needs to be featuring, if not starting! Did LvG learn nothing from his performances last season?

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Just a note on the atmosphere today, I was in the east and it was rocking, or so I thought. It was only when i met my mate afterwards who was in the south that he told me that it sounded like a library.

The acoustics in the ground are seriously shit.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
First it was too many pacey players like valencia, Welbeck, nani and not enough technical players and now it's the other way around
I don't think anyone has ever said too many pacey players... And there's no point having pacey players if they're all clueless on the ball, like those (apart from Nani).

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 921 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 38% Man Utd 2:0 Newcastle
  • 24% Man Utd 3:0 Newcastle