PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:1 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 18 November 2017

RedDevil@84

2 goals in first half was in no ways forgettable. We might have been shaky in defense, but we did go ahead with intent. And got 2 goals for all the effort.
How could that be forgettable..

Ban

something like: "They won because they spend ton of money, and they played better than us, because of the spent money, and they scored more because of the money they spend. I was hoping to go to HT with a draw, but didn't happen, because they spend lot of money. I like to spend money, but since I'm not manager at United, I can't spend. But, I will bitch and moan about United's money. Ooooh, I wish I can do that, you know, spending money"... (quietly talking to himself) "like they do..."
I hate him again.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I hate him again.
As someone said I actually think he is having a big dig at the Newcastle board rather than us. The interview on they broadcast on Talksport he just said we have better players than them. To be fair to get the better players you have to pay for them.

Ban

As someone said I actually think he is having a big dig at the Newcastle board rather than us. The interview on they broadcast on Talksport he just said we have better players than them. To be fair to get the better players you have to pay for them.
Yeah but as someone said here yesterday even if you give him money he spends it on dross.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
What Mata criticism?
Seriously people?
He was not particularly great but his work rate was top as was his movement. But these are things that go unnoticed usually on here. However, I still don’t believe that he should start games for us, he doesn’t offer enough anymore.

Ban

He was not particularly great but his work rate was top as was his movement. But these are things that go unnoticed usually on here. However, I still don’t believe that he should start games for us, he doesn’t offer enough anymore.
Who should then in the lineup we had yesterday instead?

Kapardin

What Mata criticism?
Seriously people?
He's got 1 goal and 1 assist in the league. Do you think that's enough for a player who plays in positions as important as #10 or RW?

We cannot simply keep saying, "he passed well, he kept the attack ticking etc". Forwards need to score or assist regularly.

Darkhorsez

Agree with this. First half of the first half you could him struggle to get into the game. But I think Rashers was too. But tend to cut more slack for certain players at times. I have also struggled with us starting him due his lack of pace.

prtk0811

It does'snt matter if he starts low profile games or not honestly. Its the big games where mkh sulks in the centre we have to see that mata can do it in the middle or not.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
I heard an interesting stat today. United is joint best in the PL this season at scoring from crosses.
That's... good news. And unexpected. A far cry from the Moyes season. How many cross assists has Young got?

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Thought we was great yesterday and I enjoyed the match very much.

I loved how we approached the game after going a goal behind. We seemed to go at them as though it was the final minutes, which was good to see and something that imo has been missing over recent years.

frank lee madeer..

Good result that. Pogba showed his class, with a bit of luck we will go on a run and pic up some momentum , and maybe this time around our own tactics won't halt it. We are miles behind, we just got to go for it. Draws are useless to us.

Ban

He's got 1 goal and 1 assist in the league. Do you think that's enough for a player who plays in positions as important as #10 or RW?

We cannot simply keep saying, "he passed well, he kept the attack ticking etc". Forwards need to score or assist regularly.
Tbh he didn't play that much this year.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Looked a hell of a lot better with Pogba in. Neville said on MOTD he gives the whole team more character when he plays and I think that’s a very good point.

We looked a little shaky at the back and as is often the case, Mata only came into the game when there was more space and Newcastle were beaten, but good to see a decent performance.

Don’t think we should be getting carried away.

Ban

Looked a hell of a lot better with Pogba in. Neville said on MOTD he gives the whole team more character when he plays and I think that’s a very good point.

We looked a little shaky at the back and as is often the case, Mata only came into the game when there was more space and Newcastle were beaten, but good to see a decent performance.

Don’t think we should be getting carried away.
Nobody thinks that. I expect us to be better than last few weeks, that's all. And to grind out victories or just get them. :)

M Bison

Supports
York City
Nobody thinks that. I expect us to be better than last few weeks, that's all. And to grind out victories or just get them. :)
Yes I agree, we just need to wrap Pogba in cotton wool, we can’t afford another injury to him!

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense
Really happy that we are back to winning and dominating the opponent, hope it continues like this. Some people were saying in the match day thread that Lindelof should be sold, fortunately Mourinho isn't an "Einstein" like these people otherwise he would have sold Pogba, Mkhi (I know he has been playing badly) and Martial after last season's performances.

Paul_Scholes18

With Mata in the starting lineup we have won every game apart from the Huddersfield one. He was poor in that one and I guess people will remember it and assume he is poor in the games after. Very common on here with many player ratings.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Another shite performance from the lads masked by goals. Pogba back in the team and we still look bereft of creativity. We will never accomplish anything under this negative manager.

Am i doing it right?

buckooo1978

Another shite performance from the lads masked by goals. Pogba back in the team and we still look bereft of creativity. We will never accomplish anything under this negative manager.

Am i doing it right?
piss taker! nice white text edit

slow start and Pogba magic got us back in the game.... from then on we were super

more evidence for me about the mental weakness of some players - when we get a goal we play with much more freedom and confidence

when we score 2/3 we play fantastically

imagine 2/3 more players with the character and ability of Pogba

minoo-utd

Am i doing it right?
Ahhh that White text saved you. Nice one.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Yeah but as someone said here yesterday even if you give him money he spends it on dross.
He fecked up in Liverpool in last two seasons, so from there goes the reputation, but when you look at it overall he's not that bad at all. For example in Napoli, he did a great job. Mertens, Koulibaly, Jorginho, Albiol, Callejon, Ghoulam. That's practically more than half of the first team for Sarri today. Higuain also who they sold for huge profit.

Mind you, it was a great pleasure seeing him trashed yesterday. That will never change.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Pogba is that leader we always bemoan the fact we lack. Not only does he grab games by their genitals, he is the only player who can transition defence to attack quickly. That's where the tempo came from yesterday. Our centre backs can't do it, we need Pogba in there.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Pogba is that leader we always bemoan the fact we lack. Not only does he grab games by their genitals, he is the only player who can transition defence to attack quickly. That's where the tempo came from yesterday. Our centre backs can't do it, we need Pogba in there.
True. Our transition went to shit once he got injured.

The Mad Manc

Good win. Feels great to have Pogba, Ibra and Rojo back. I feel so much more confident in the side and our options are much, much better. Great for Lukaku to get back on the scoresheet too.

On the bigger picture, Young is doing a job at LB but we need a permanent solution, ASAFP. JM obviously doesn't rate Shaw so if a deal could be done for Danny Rose in January that would sort things nicely. Then there's the right-hand side of our attack. We have to get a naturally right sided attacker into the squad, also ASAFP. The only current player we have that might work is Micky. He got all those goals and assists for Dortmund playing on the right. He is bang out of form at the moment though.

buckooo1978

on a side note I have to say I was impressed by Newcastle

their counter attacking in that first half was very good and something we could perhaps learn from - the looked very slick until we upped our game

Roughseas

No way! Mata was our second best player today after Pogba. Just because he doesn’t get the stats (goals and assists) he’s so damn under rated! This front five should start most games!
Hardly the second best player. His pace is so below par, it left huge holes in pressing and offence. He was a liability, as always.

nesty

Great result considering we went a goal down early on. I watched Gayle's goal numerous times and whilst Lindelof got a lot of stick for his slip, some fault has also got to go to Matic and Pogba for not helping the defence. Four Newcastle players flooded into the box leaving a 2v4 situation. Matic especially should of done more to stop the shot.

I won't get too carried away because it was a game we simply expected and had to win. Unfortunately I think City will be incredibly difficult to catch now (crazy as it's only November)

Let's focus on making at least a 2nd place finish and hopefully a good run in the champions league. Priority in the summer will have to be the fullback situation. I don't think the squad is in too bad of shape however if we want to stand toe to toe in the league, we need to upgrade. I'm also worried about Mkhi. Dropped from the squad completely after a terrible run of form. Unless he improves he'll be off in the summer.

But let's not be too serious...#POGBACK :drool::drool:

Reactions: esmufc07

dmode

We were immense, the beast is back. Feck off!

Ibra is back... God is back, the other teams are shitting their pants.

RonW

He should have had 2-3 more goals at least but for the woodwork, similar to how Pogba was last season, but I know what you mean. It's good to have a different kind of player in the team but Mata lacks that assertiveness and courage to take on defenders and play a 'risky' pass because I think he's too afraid to lose the ball and his physicality hurts him too. It would be better if he weighed a little more so he wouldn't be shoved off the ball so easily. I keep liking him, but I want to expect some more from him. Too many times, he's been way too passive and he needs to be more aggressive like he used to be at Chelsea and the beginning of his career at United.

el3mel

Watching the goals again, I liked the way we didn't even celebrate the equalizing goal, as if the players were saying to themselves "good but that's not enough, get the ball back ASAP as we must win". Great character and responsibility from the team that we missed a lot post SAF years.

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 568 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 33% Man Utd 2:0 Newcastle
  • 31% Man Utd 3:0 Newcastle