PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:2 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 06 October 2018

Cpt Negative

How do you know this? How many people did you ask or talk to?
The vast majority of season ticket holders or match goers I speak to are behind Jose.

Yeah they’re frustrated with the results, but they’re still there week in week out getting behind the team.

Jose was massively let down in the summer. Look how much of a difference it looked when we had Pogba playing CB because he knew how to play out. The players have got off far to lightly this season in my opinion.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Did Mourinho tell the team not to run, not to track runners, not to complete simple passes, not to be able to control a ball in the first half? These are the best paid players in the league, they should be going out to prove why every minute of the game.
The team were poor in the first half, nobody's denying that. You talk as if Mourinho has no responsibility whatsoever and that when we did come back it was because of his tactical genius.

I've not even wanted for Mourinho to leave until the last few games even though I've been growing tired of the tactics. But nothing is going to change, the players seem fed up and unless we plan on playing a back three of Pogba Matic and Smalling in our next match I don't expect much excitement.
Off the field it seems to be getting more toxic by the day.
Time to cut the cord before it's too late.

I was delighted we won today and really enjoyed the second half. Now and again I would like to enjoy the whole match.

Devil may care

It changes nothing, just papering over the cracks, the fight in the second half was good to see, Paul Pogba, booed by his own fans last week drove this team on, but ultimately we were playing one of the worst teams in the league and managed a manic second half comeback that would have seen us picked off easily on the counter by any half decent team.

Ironic that Martial and Pogba have likely kept the toxic one in his seat a little bit longer.

tony54

Not so long ago, many of the people now praising Pogba were the same ones that wanting him to be moved on come summer.

There was one guy who recommended we should sell Pogba and break the bank to get Neves...
When Pogba first started to play for us I delighted in telling people that he would soon be the best midfielder in the uk which I truly believed.
But as time goes on he has become more inconsistant and a loose canon as far as being a good solid team member. I think he is one of the main culprits
in bringing disharmony in the dressing room.
I was really pleased with his performance today, he dropped the showboating and got the team going forwards effectively.
I really hope he would settledown here and give us what he is capable off. But if he doesnt want to play at MU for whatever reason he can move on.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I would understand the optimism in backing Mourinho if we had destroyed Newcastle by 3 or 4 goals. I enjoy the result and the comeback for they are but I'm under no illusion. Nothing is solved, we start matches too poorly and we always react. We're just lucky Newcastle are shite

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
When Pogba first started to play for us I delighted in telling people that he would soon be the best midfielder in the uk which I truly believed.
But as time goes on he has become more inconsistant and a loose canon as far as being a good solid team member. I think he is one of the main culprits
I was really pleased with his performance today, he dropped the showboating and got the team going forwards effectively.
I really hope he would settledown here and give us what he is capable off. But if he doesnt want to play at MU for whatever reason he can move on.
Everything suggests, including his own words, that he wants to play for Manchester United. The rest is media b.s that unfortunately, many of our fans believe blindly.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I would understand the optimism in backing Mourinho if we had destroyed Newcastle by 3 or 4 goals. I enjoy the result and the comeback for they are but I'm under no illusion. Nothing is solved, we start matches too poorly and we always react. We're just lucky Newcastle are shite
My thoughts too.

Red Devil Rising

This last minute result changes nothing.

He still made the statement after 20 minutes that McTominay is somehow a better choice in defence than both Bailly and Lindeof (Two defenders that Mourinho spent close to £80 million on)

He's still at war with Pogba, Sanchez, Martial and God knows how many others.

God knows what the defence will be for the next game, he still needs to go.

Okey

I'd love to know how that second half performance came about. However it was, the team need to bottle it, and dish it out every game, aiming only to improve upon it. That, in essence, is the United of our dreams. Playing with heart and desire. And a good measure of quality. No matter who the players or manager may be, that is the level we demand. Does this save Jose? Not for me. I think his time with this team is done. He still couldn't help throwing a few players under the bus even after such an uplifting match. Whoever comes next, whenever it is, I hope they watch that second half, and make it the base level of acceptable standards.

Fitchett

Very strange match, First sixty minutes were absolutely dreadful - on a par with the Seville match last season. That has to be down to the manager, again sulking to the Board because he didn't get all the players he wanted in the summer. Why spend £50m on Fred and play McTominay instead? Why play two defensive midfielders in Matic and McTominay at home against Newcastle? The only time they have won at Old Trafford since 1972 was in the Moyes season.
Why not start with Pereira or Mata or Fred? Why keep playing the Belgian Heskey and drop Sanchez? The last thirty minutes were just like the good old days of Ferguson - attacking with speed and determination and, surprise, surprise, scoring three goals to win the match. For me, Sanchez made the difference, running all over the place and causing confusion in the Newcastle defence. Lukaku was again shocking and should not be picked ahead of Sanchez, Martial or Rashford.

It shows how far we have dropped though, when we are celebrating a late 3-2 home win over Newcastle. For me, Mourinho has to go now, and be replaced by a manager, who understands and appreciates the traditions of Manchester United's attacking football. That's what made the club loved worldwide, not this tumescent, cowardly stuff that has been dished up by Moyes, van Gaal and Mourinho.

spwd

All those saying we won despite Jose or that shows its all Jose’s fault, how the feck do you come to that conclusion?, surely it shows the opposite and they have all downed tools and perhaps José told them he was going at half time so just win it for the fans and the club, and they showed how they can play when they dont down tools?

VJ1762

I don't understand the banner saying that Ed is a loser.

Don't say that the board haven't spent money. It's not like our board was pennypinching like Arsenal. I genuinely believe that with our squad, we are capable of comfortably finishing in the top 4. I stand by my previous comments, it's Mourinho's tactics that make us feel like nobody in the squad is good enough.

Whilst I agree that Ed should focus more on the commercial side of the club, I don't agree with sacking him. Without his business acumen, we won't be paying top dollar for players like Pogba and Martial and the like. People always tell him to stick to selling noodles and tractors and the like, well guess what mate? That's what enables us to pay a half-a million dollar weekly wages for players like Alexis( whether that's justified is another issue entirely). Without sponsorships, we won't be able to compete with the Abu Dhabis and the Qatars of the world.

Appoint a DOF, have a vision in place, take away the football responsibilities from Ed. Otherwise, we would still be in the same position, 2 years from now.

Fracture90

Exactly this. This was a winless Newcastle side that is gonna be struggling to stay in premiership and we still barely managed to scrap a win at home.

buckooo1978

All those saying we won despite Jose or that shows its all Jose’s fault, how the feck do you come to that conclusion?, surely it shows the opposite and they have all downed tools and perhaps José told them he was going at half time so just win it for the fans and the club, and they showed how they can play when they dont down tools?
it's the managers job to build and lead a team with a solid vision, strategy for succeeding and to manage and get the best out of the players

what elements of that is he being successful in? You can blame players when it's a few who aren't performing but I think we've played really well in only 2 games this season - against Burnley and Young Boys.

apart from that we've only played well in short parts of games

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Frustrating for lots of reasons.

First half.....
  • Jose's team selection. Stop playing fecking McTominay!!
  • Jose's formation. McTominay can't play MF never mind CH!
  • Players attitude... shocking. I'd tell some they're sold in Jan
  • Tactics.... too negative
  • Speed.... too slow
Then compare that with second half (well, most of it anyway). More attack focussed, faster in transition, better attitude (from most).

Play like that from the fecking start?

To Jose, stop starting so negative/slowly (tactics) - its not necessarily that United should play more attacking football (though I want it). It's that it doesnt suit the players we have and for some time now, it's not getting results.

To some/lots of the players, stop playing like a bunch of butt-hurt, 4-year old girls who've been told they can't have jelly. You're paid shedloads of cash - the bare minimum is 100% effort for an entire match. Man up or piss off.

peridigm

That’s a bit romantic. If he did tell them I’d expect more leaks by now.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The team were poor in the first half, nobody's denying that. You talk as if Mourinho has no responsibility whatsoever and that when we did come back it was because of his tactical genius.

I've not even wanted for Mourinho to leave until the last few games even though I've been growing tired of the tactics. But nothing is going to change, the players seem fed up and unless we plan on playing a back three of Pogba Matic and Smalling in our next match I don't expect much excitement.
Off the field it seems to be getting more toxic by the day.
Time to cut the cord before it's too late.

I was delighted we won today and really enjoyed the second half. Now and again I would like to enjoy the whole match.
I'm not sure which part of anything i've said indicates that. I'm more Mourinho out than in at this point but the players are getting off scot free while he takes all the flak.

Sing you a song

Today he gave me his finest moment since he came back .
At the end of the match he took off his shirt and gave it to a young fan seeing the young lads reaction was priceless .
For the first time he was showing a humility and finally realising how rewarding it can be to be a role model for our young fans .
Why on earth more players don’t do this staggers me

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I'm not sure which part of anything i've said indicates that. I'm more Mourinho out than in at this point but the players are getting off scot free while he takes all the flak.
I don't think the players are getting off scot free, only a handful played above poor today. Many are criticised, they can all have off days but the off days are becoming more often.
At the end of the day it is Mourinho's responsibility if the players aren't performing when they obviously can perform much better. If they can only perform when the tactics are forgotten there's something seriously wrong.

But it's not just about today's match, it's a pattern that is becoming more familiar each match.
I don't like keep changing manager but I don't see where we are going and even adding some other players will not change things.

montpelier

There are some good players - maybe Sanchez & Martial are better than I was starting to think.

But there's also some weaknesses that are tending towards being glaring if they aren't helped out by a Jose Mourinho-esque pragmatic playing style:

i - the central defence needs protecting (which means Matic or McTom sitting in)
ii - Lukaku - he plays down the middle, mobility is patchy, first touch is very patchy
iii - knock-on consequences of i & ii for numbers in MF / how often they commit to getting forward
iv - Jose works on i, ii & iii not particularly with hugs & kisses maybe, & his style of management is problematic too

Newcastle could have been out of sight & were pretty soppy opposition.

I don't think it's all Mourinho's fault. I don't think he deserves quite all of the stick he gets. He certainly doesn't help himself, I wouldn't exactly be heartbroken if he left. People just don't like him do they? It makes a difference I think, even just to 'the narrative surrounding the club' & all that old bollocks, :D.

But a lot of this rot set in even before Moyes signed Fellaini - fixing anything goes further than getting rid of the Manager.

There's not enough outstanding players for me, was what I was trying to get round to saying. And there's Woodward doing the recruiting.

Last edited:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Proud to see the fight back. Good to see Pogba lead and drive us in search of goals with a very mature performance. Glad to see Young step up and own his flank second half after the mare first half. Not sure there was anything to build on there though, as it was a real tussle to get the result.

I hope this is the start of something rather than the last hurrah.

crossy1686

career ending
Frustrating for lots of reasons.

First half.....
  • Jose's team selection. Stop playing fecking McTominay!!
  • Jose's formation. McTominay can't play MF never mind CH!
  • Players attitude... shocking. I'd tell some they're sold in Jan
  • Tactics.... too negative
  • Speed.... too slow
Then compare that with second half (well, most of it anyway). More attack focussed, faster in transition, better attitude (from most).

Play like that from the fecking start?

To Jose, stop starting so negative/slowly (tactics) - its not necessarily that United should play more attacking football (though I want it). It's that it doesnt suit the players we have and for some time now, it's not getting results.

To some/lots of the players, stop playing like a bunch of butt-hurt, 4-year old girls who've been told they can't have jelly. You're paid shedloads of cash - the bare minimum is 100% effort for an entire match. Man up or piss off.
Said this a few games ago. McTomminay is a protest to the board, he's doing it for political reasons. He was told he couldn't have the defenders he wanted in the summer, he's been told to play more attractive football (play out from the back, quick tempo etc) and he's been told to play players that have come through the reserves. We don't have the defenders to play the football City and Liverpool do so he's playing midfielders there to show the board they were wrong in the summer.

Agree with the player attitude. We need to clear out those that don't have the right mentality for us. Get them gone ASAP.

I'm sure Jose would have us play attacking football and score more goals but again, you've got to question the players. I'm not saying he shouldn't shoulder some blame also but quite a few of those players have been under 2 to 3 failed regimes now, how much longer are they going to not give a shit and get game time for us?

Canagel

The first half today was shocking. Absolutely shocking. We only attacked in the 2nd half because we had no choice but to go for it. It wasn't anything tactical from the manager. The players just threw caution to the wind. They look better when they don't have to worry about tactics and just have to go for it and this is a problem. There's still no shape or style of play. It all seemed very chaotic to me even when we attack. We will still park the bus against the first big team we play and this will be another false dawn. A nice comeback today but doesn't change much because the manager hasn't shown that he can get this team to play like this consistently at any point in the last two years. I don't trust his judgement on players either. Martial is one of our best players and should've played more games but he doesn't get the opportunity.

RedMilo

Just back from the game feel emotionally drained. Juan Mata got us playing in the second half and Pogba dropped deep meaning we actually passed the ball forwards out of defence makes a massive difference. Matic had a shocker, and Lukaku Im fed up of moaning about him. A stay of execution Jose has now got, but you still feel its a question of when and not if. Positive result though - happy camper

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
1-2

2-2

3-2

That we have fans like this among us makes me so very sad. Support the club. Celebrate a goal. feck the rest of the bullshit or you'll never enjoy football again.
Sorry but I don’t just blindly support and forget everything else that’s happening at the club. I’m not a simpleton. A couple of goals here or there doesn’t change the reality of what is happening. This idea that you are a shit fan because you refuse to celebrate every win, and put your head in the sand to the wider narrative, is just naive in my opinion. I respect that everyone shows their love for the club in a different way, fair play to that. But I am disgusted by the people we have in charge. I’ve supported the club for well over 30 years, and I’ll voice my disgust however I see fit. One win, doesn’t change a single iota in my mind. And the problem centers around the toxic individual in charge.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Sorry but I don’t just blindly support and forget everything else that’s happening at the club. I’m not a simpleton. A couple of goals here or there doesn’t change the reality of what is happening. This idea that you are a shit fan because you refuse to celebrate every win, and put your head in the sand to the wider narrative, is just naive in my opinion. I respect that everyone shows their love for the club in a different way, fair play to that. But I am disgusted by the people we have in charge. I’ve supported the club for well over 30 years, and I’ll voice my disgust however I see fit. One win, doesn’t change a single iota in my mind. And the problem centers around the toxic individual in charge.
I don't think that's necessarily what he was saying. Sounded like he's just saying enjoy the goals/win. You can do that AND voice the negatives? Balance?

If you want, you can say "I just couldn’t care less about the result here. Mourinho has to go, and the board need to be shot.

It’s not worth cheering this team on."

I disagree with your comment but I'm not saying you can't say it.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Head says:
Nothing changes, 25 mins of great football does not a season make. We still looked like a bunch of total hopeless fools for most of the game. Mourinho must go.

Heart says:

Get in, that was awesome! Was that his Mark Robins moment?

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 63% of 731 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 481 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw