PL L FA Premier League

Newcastle United 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 06 October 2019

steffyr2

Why blame Ole? Inadequate support from top. We saw that during the transfer window & ta report the owner took a further loan via United shares.
Because he didn't have the guts to say, or didn't know, that the transfers out were a really bad idea with no one coming in.

Fridge chutney

Yes it's very little alibi, as the likes of Pogba have been playing most games.

It's just typical though of where we are, that even when we get Shaw fit, and even when we finally buy a proper right back, we still end up playing Young every week.

And to top it all off, we actually RESTED him in the cup recently!
:lol: I know, you literally couldn't make it up. When it rains, it pours.

tjb

More positives to take from the game. Tuanzebe is ready for 1st team even in CB, LB or RB. Rashford has to accept he is not a CF, and therefore is in competition for LW and may well be benched end up sold to Arsenal. This has exposed the truth about him. Pereira after his loans has been given his chance and blown it, so now the whole club knows he has to go too. Matic and Young will be released at the end of their contracts. Mata will too but may have to leave to the MLS or China to get 1st team football. Fred is being shown to unequivocally have no future at the club, and Lingard too. A whole load of question marks over players have been answered, and should lead to no new contracts offered and sales. We might even get a new Physio Dept. out of this. Maybe we even manage to get a DOF, but I think it will take relegation to get rid of Woodward.
I think this is the biggest thing to come out of this. You are right. This season and period has shown us that Mourinho was completely right in his assessment of the squad. We have poor passing, first touch, dribbling, no key passes, poor crossing and we are even average at recovering the ball. All we have going for us is that we have a good defence and an attack that has the speed and creativity of pogba to counter attack. You take him off the team, and even that is a shell of itself. We have been poor at creating chances for 6 years now. Manager after manager has come here and faced the same situations. I believe people put too much responsibility on managers and not enough on players. our attacks are blunt, have not movement or sense of awareness. I don't believe those things are on the manager. I remember many mourinho teams having them. We just have unintelligent players. Some are inexperienced, others are just not good enough. Let's be honest, in the past, what separated the players in our successful teams and the other teams were the touches, craft and movement of their attacks. Cole, yorke and van nistelrooy were able to take passes on their chest and control difficult balls in the air, even to the point of using it to create chances for others. Keane beckham, scholes, and giggs could all pass in between the lines, make runs, and provide sparks of creative genius. They were versatile players, all of whom had the skill and talent to play in any of the midfield and full back positions if called upon, as they had the skill and knowledge to perform. These days we have players calling themselves wingers who can't even play on the other side. midfielders who only know how to play one specific role and strikers who cannot create chances for themselves, make runs or even control the balls they are given. They have a variety of skills. The current set are limited, mostly average mid to lower table players who need to be spoon-fed before they can actually do anything. The sooner we recognize this, and turn all of our front 6 bar mctominay ( who is learning on the job) pogba ( who may be sold anyway) into squad players and completely rebuild regardless of salary, the sooner we get back to who we are.

Houdini

When you hear from Newcasle fans that "It was a good one, but anyone can beat United these days..." you know something is wrong.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
What do people expect when Matic, Mata and Young are still playing for us.

I still don't see any point changing manager.
Simon Jordan on Talksport said that Young would have been thinking he'd be MLS by now. That is where he should be, but we kept giving him contracts.

Houdini

We are in trouble. We lost Lukaku, Sanchez, Fella and Herrera, but the list goes on. At the end of this season we should sell or release these players:

Fred - not good enough
Lingard - not good enough
Pereira - not good enough
Young - too old
Matic - too old
Mata - too old but still can play in Asia
Chong - loan him out

Rashford - squad player, if he wants to be a 1st team ST then show him the door

We can also lose:
DDG - I won't be surprised if he wants to go
same for Pogba

That is a lot of players to replace.

OohAahMartial

I think this is the biggest thing to come out of this. You are right. This season and period has shown us that Mourinho was completely right in his assessment of the squad. We have poor passing, first touch, dribbling, no key passes, poor crossing and we are even average at recovering the ball. All we have going for us is that we have a good defence and an attack that has the speed and creativity of pogba to counter attack. You take him off the team, and even that is a shell of itself. We have been poor at creating chances for 6 years now. Manager after manager has come here and faced the same situations. I believe people put too much responsibility on managers and not enough on players. our attacks are blunt, have not movement or sense of awareness. I don't believe those things are on the manager. I remember many mourinho teams having them. We just have unintelligent players. Some are inexperienced, others are just not good enough. Let's be honest, in the past, what separated the players in our successful teams and the other teams were the touches, craft and movement of their attacks. Cole, yorke and van nistelrooy were able to take passes on their chest and control difficult balls in the air, even to the point of using it to create chances for others. Keane beckham, scholes, and giggs could all pass in between the lines, make runs, and provide sparks of creative genius. They were versatile players, all of whom had the skill and talent to play in any of the midfield and full back positions if called upon, as they had the skill and knowledge to perform. These days we have players calling themselves wingers who can't even play on the other side. midfielders who only know how to play one specific role and strikers who cannot create chances for themselves, make runs or even control the balls they are given. They have a variety of skills. The current set are limited, mostly average mid to lower table players who need to be spoon-fed before they can actually do anything. The sooner we recognize this, and turn all of our front 6 bar mctominay ( who is learning on the job) pogba ( who may be sold anyway) into squad players and completely rebuild regardless of salary, the sooner we get back to who we are.
LVG, Jose and Ole knew we had a problem with creating chances, but Di Maria flopped, Mhki flopped, Sanchez flopped, Pogba is hit and miss, Fred flopped, failed to get Dybala and didn't go for Fernandes--hence why its obvious we need a DoF and to sort out recruitment process and it's due diligence.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
At this point would it not be cheaper to just buy a mid-table team and avoid relegation?

GarrinchaNZ

Wow...just wow. How far have we fallen! So toothless...abject really.

Where to from here? A black hole is slowly sucking us to relegation zone. Keep up the good work, Woody.

Alemar

Where does all this “players work their socks off” bullshit come from??? No one worked hard today.

Ok, personally I have no complaints today over performances of Tuanzebe, Maguire and de Gea, but others didn’t work hard. They just didn’t - Ole is lying

RedMilo

Where does all this “players work their socks off” bullshit come from??? No one worked hard today.

Ok, personally I have no complaints today over performances of Tuanzebe, Maguire and de Gea, but others didn’t work hard. They just didn’t - Ole is lying
Its not about working hard, that is Ole's only defence for them. What he cant admit to the camera is that we are lacking both quality and end product, its dire. So much rests on Martial and Pogba coming back, its unreal we are in this situation.

Alemar

Its not about working hard, that is Ole's only defence for them. What he cant admit to the camera is that we are lacking both quality and end product, its dire. So much rests on Martial and Pogba coming back, its unreal we are in this situation.
Why he can’t admit the obvious? What is more, why does he need to defend players when they are playing so diabolically bad? It’s not just quality (certainly Rashford can play better than he shows now, as well as Fred, for instance) - it’s form and motivation that are lacking.

Oldyella

Spot on. No one takes responsibility to try and create an opening or take a shot. They are all cowards, afraid of making a mistake, so they keep abdicating responsibility by passing the ball to a team mate, until a defender makes a tackle or an interception. And as another poster wrote, Rashford hides behind his marker, so he never gets to give himself a decent chance of missing.
And what makes this more annoying is, the fans aren't even on their backs! Match going fans both home and away have been pretty bloody supportive this year considering the way the team has performed. What would this lot do if they had to face the white hankies at Madrid or similar?

RedMilo

Spot on. No one takes responsibility to try and create an opening or take a shot. They are all cowards, afraid of making a mistake, so they keep abdicating responsibility by passing the ball to a team mate, until a defender makes a tackle or an interception. And as another poster wrote, Rashford hides behind his marker, so he never gets to give himself a decent chance of missing.
So true :lol::lol::lol:

dave1956

This is the worst side I have watched for a long time, 1974 actually and look how that ended. We are in fact heading in the same direction, at least the team in 1974 tried and showed effort but were not good enough, this present squad show little effort or even if they care.

RedMilo

Why he can’t admit the obvious? What is more, why does he need to defend players when they are playing so diabolically bad? It’s not just quality (certainly Rashford can play better than he shows now, as well as Fred, for instance) - it’s form and motivation that are lacking.
Nah its more than form mate, half the team should'nt be anywhere near the first team. They can huff and puff all they want but if you cant pick a pass, put a decent cross in or in Rashford's case have the intelligence to make a run in front of your marker then quality is our biggest issue. Our season rests on the shoulders of Martial & Pogba quality getting us out of this, then we need some serious rebuilding of our squad.

Ole cant admit the obvious because its all he has to work with until January at least, and the one thing I didn't like about Mourinho is that he would happily throw his players under the bus in interviews, and then expect them to go out and give 1000% for him the next time, the thing is they just don't make them that tough nowadays, to accept that type of criticism, they cant handle it.. Behind closed doors Ole will be fuming

EchoCharlie7

We can all say what we want, but in the end, we don know whats going on behind the scenes. Its not OGS's fault. Ed has to take the blame.
We say we shipped players out. Yes.
We didnt get any players to cover the losses. Yes.
But its Ed's responsibility for players coming in. OGS can only say who we wants/needs
What OGS I think is responsible, is for the attitude of some of the players. (Rashford/Pogba/Lingard) to name a few. no player is bigger than the Club!

We desperately need a DOF.

Alemar

Behind closed doors Ole will be fuming
Unlikely. He must have been fuming after Rochdale, but he didn’t change anything. Same tactics, same “system”, same shit players. Ole doesn’t learn - why should anything change now?

Bruce gave a start to junior Longstaff and he scored. Ole could have given a start to Garner and Gomes, but opted for same shit as always

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
I love United. I have followed them and supported them for 60 years but this team at the moment - well, I just cant watch them. They are really, really abject. I love Ole but he is out of his depth. Trouble is, I just cannot think who could take over from him. But I just cannot see him continuing.
Id bring back Fergie until we can find a proper replacement.

Revaulx

You started watching in ‘69, we got relegated in ‘74, were perennial mid tablers in the ‘80s and finished 13th in 1990 whilst spending a lot of the season hovering just above the drop zone, people forget that because we won the cup on a run that included three 1-0 wins. And THIS is the worst you’ve seen us play?

Are you sure?
Calendar years 72 and 73 were awful.

By the time of the relegation we’d shown signs of better things to come, and the Div 2 season was great.

Much of Sexton’s last season was very poor. Wilkins injured; Birtles a disaster. It finished well though, and arguably the sacking was harsh.

Atkinson’s football was decent and the league placings were hardly mid-table. It only fell apart towards the end.

88-89 was frustratingly inconsistent, but there were quite a lot of really good performances.

You are right that 89-90 was poor after thwacking Arsenal in the opening game.

There hasn’t really been a lot worse than the last six months.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We can all say what we want, but in the end, we don know whats going on behind the scenes. Its not OGS's fault. Ed has to take the blame.
We say we shipped players out. Yes.
We didnt get any players to cover the losses. Yes.
But its Ed's responsibility for players coming in. OGS can only say who we wants/needs
What OGS I think is responsible, is for the attitude of some of the players. (Rashford/Pogba/Lingard) to name a few. no player is bigger than the Club!

We desperately need a DOF.
Surely it didn't take much intelligence to say a firm DO NOT sell lukaku if you don't replace him. Ole even said in the press we wouldnt

tomaldinho1

Because he has spoken so much bollocks he’s running out of room to manoeuvre. He should just come out and say that we’re fecking shambolic and at end of the day, the buck stops with the manager. If his club, Salford, went through similar run of results, he’d change his tune very fecking quickly indeed, I suspect.
He's indicative of all those fans clinging onto the hope Ole is the right man, it's emotional it's not rational. He likes Ole, he's loyal to him but deep down he's not an idiot - he can see the team's rudderless.

Waynne

We'll be fighting for relegation this season. This is the worst United side i've ever seen. LVG was boring to watch but alteast we knew it was possession we were after.
With Mourinho you knew it was defensive solidity we were after and hitting teams on the counter.
With Ole i have NO fecking clue what kind of football we're trying to play.
There is a fundamental problem at this club and the people who are chanting for Ole to be given a chance are looking more and more delusional with each passing week and each defeat we're taking that's pushing us further down the table.
It's mind boggling. Give him a chance? while he's fecking us down the table week after week? I wonder (if/when we get relegated) if this same crowd of people are going to say to give him a chance.

Rubbish team. Rubbish management. Reset the whole lot.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
The facts are that if United want to go anywhere and become something again then we need to ship Ed Woodward out as far away from football matters as possible, we need a manager with a clue and not an x footballer who is a United hero, and could maybe have been hired as a scapegoat for the criminal regime that currently runs United (into the ground). These things need changing for the betterment of the club. Mourinho was correct when he said the club had a virus, he just mis indentified it. He said it was Pogba, I am sure it is Ed Woodward.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He's indicative of all those fans clinging onto the hope Ole is the right man, it's emotional it's not rational. He likes Ole, he's loyal to him but deep down he's not an idiot - he can see the team's rudderless.
He’s also stubborn, he took the stance with Moyes and Mourinho, notably with that outburst after David McDonnell reported that Mourinho was to be sacked after the Newcastle game I think. He should take emotion out of it and think objectively, he was right, the board should have backed José and it was disgrace but since they didn’t there was no other choice but to let him go because he had become so toxic. Moyes was abomination, similar to what we’re seeing now.

Player Ratings

3.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 473 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% Newcastle 0:1 Man Utd
  • 16% Newcastle 1:1 Man Utd