PL L FA Premier League

Newcastle United 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 06 October 2019

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Shocking lack of belief running through the whole club. Hard to see where the change is going to come from at the moment.

Denis79

Unlikely. He must have been fuming after Rochdale, but he didn’t change anything. Same tactics, same “system”, same shit players. Ole doesn’t learn - why should anything change now?

Bruce gave a start to junior Longstaff and he scored. Ole could have given a start to Garner and Gomes, but opted for same shit as always
He pretty much confirmed he's not changing anything against Liverpool in terms of tactics. A little tweak maybe. His words.

tomaldinho1

He’s also stubborn, he took the stance with Moyes and Mourinho, notably with that outburst after David McDonnell reported that Mourinho was to be sacked after the Newcastle game I think. He should take emotion out of it and think objectively, he was right, the board should have backed José and it was disgrace but since they didn’t there was no other choice but to let him go because he had become so toxic. Moyes was abomination, similar to what we’re seeing now.
It's all part of this stupid idea about 'United give managers time' and thinking we're different or somehow better than other clubs. G Nev's issue is he's so opinionated that he comes out with these statements and then forgets there's millions of people watching and then has to stick to his guns. Backing Ole is the worst of the lot though because I think if you asked 100 United fans if they genuinely believed he is a good enough manager, 100 would say no.

JK-27

De Gea's said in his interview the team need to fight. Problem is we have players in the team who have no idea what this is or how to do it. McTominay, Periera, Fred, Greenwood, Tuanzabe, Chong, Dalot - they don't know what fight is because they haven't got any experience.

This whole 'play the young kids' ideology only works when they're good enough. And they're not good enough.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Was off grid today, so got home and watched this spoiler free.

Another genuinely poor performance against an atrocious side. The first 45 was an all-time bad United performance. We’ve been thoroughly outplayed by better teams before, but Newcastle are dreadful and we couldn’t lay anything on them.

Out of all the crap we have shoehorned on the right in recent years, Pereira is the worst of the lot; even his set pieces are gone. James isn’t ready to be playing every week at this level. Rashford ain’t fit and ain’t a striker. Greenwood is out of his depth. I clamoured for more Fred, but have no idea why. De Gea and Maguire find a way to get beaten every week.

Ole couldn’t really have any excuses. Newcastle have injuries and were playing young players too. His comments said as much. He’s seemingly incapable of motivating players to play the most basic football. He’s done.

Asger

Why he can’t admit the obvious? What is more, why does he need to defend players when they are playing so diabolically bad? It’s not just quality (certainly Rashford can play better than he shows now, as well as Fred, for instance) - it’s form and motivation that are lacking.
Fans were furious about Mourinho when he blamed the players and now Ole should do it?

our squad quality is just so bad that 10th would be good.

Alemar

Fans were furious about Mourinho when he blamed the players and now Ole should do it?

our squad quality is just so bad that 10th would be good.
The manager should make changes, he should manage. If something doesn’t work, there must be amends, otherwise he is a bad manager.

Praising shit players doesn’t work - try something else

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Really pathetic performance. More and more embarrassing every week. There is nothing that is being developed other than fielding young players in an imbalanced and poor side that has no plan or identity.

RedDevil@84

At this point, I am not sure if fielding young players is helping them or making them worse and lose confidence in themselves.

Martialfc

I still have faith in Ole based on his transfers and the deadwood he has already gotten rid of. The players he got rid of were never gonna let us challenge for the league. Be it that the squad is now stretched because of those losses and we can’t seem to score but still those changes needed to be made. I’m willing to strap in for the long run. This is going to take time. We are going to be terrible for a while but we have to just suck it up unfortunately this isn’t a overnight fix.

Tarrou

I always watch the games on replays as I live down under. After 10 minutes just fecked it off and watched the highlights.

Looked a dire performance from what I saw.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
MC lost at home 2-0 to Wolfs and we lost to Newcastle 1-0 away. It doesn't sound so bad from that perspective. Seriously, I'm pretty sure if we had some quality in that side, like Pogba and Martial, we probably win easily.

Can someone tell Fred he can look for a forward pass and that, when possible, he should always receive the ball facing forward. I don't know how many times he controlled the ball facing our goal. TBF, sometimes he had to because the balls passed to him were not very accurate.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
It's all part of this stupid idea about 'United give managers time' and thinking we're different or somehow better than other clubs. G Nev's issue is he's so opinionated that he comes out with these statements and then forgets there's millions of people watching and then has to stick to his guns. Backing Ole is the worst of the lot though because I think if you asked 100 United fans if they genuinely believed he is a good enough manager, 100 would say no.
The poll here still says Ole should not be fired and be given a chance. Your 100 out of a 100 is just not true

Sterling Archer

At this point, I am not sure if fielding young players is helping them or making them worse and lose confidence in themselves.
It was a bad idea from the beginning. United in the trenches putting the weight on the kids to bring us back to the top. It's hard enough for a young player to come into a functioning side. What were they smoking when they decided.

Micky Targaryen

2 points of relegation. And here in Malaysia, I think we do not show any live games of the Championship league. Which might actually be a good thing for next season.

ManuMou

I was also very surprised Sanchez was subsidised to play elsewhere with no-one coming in. He seemed like striker cover, and certainly would be playing ahead of Rashford, even half-fit, currently.
This. I was in total shock that BOTH Lukaku and Sanchez gone without replacement. What a total joke by Ed and Ole.

Hughes35

Why he can’t admit the obvious? What is more, why does he need to defend players when they are playing so diabolically bad? It’s not just quality (certainly Rashford can play better than he shows now, as well as Fred, for instance) - it’s form and motivation that are lacking.
Because when Jose was very honest and slated the players, he got completely vilified in the press and by the fans. Jose was spot on about this squad. Absolute disgrace, no heart, no passion and no talent. Finishing 2nd was a miracle.

In Rainbows

Because when Jose was very honest and slated the players, he got completely vilified in the press and by the fans. Jose was spot on about this squad. Absolute disgrace, no heart, no passion and no talent. Finishing 2nd was a miracle.
The problem with Jose was that he never admitted fault. Finishing 2nd should be down to de Gea.

HowieC

I still have faith in Ole based on his transfers and the deadwood he has already gotten rid of. The players he got rid of were never gonna let us challenge for the league. Be it that the squad is now stretched because of those losses and we can’t seem to score but still those changes needed to be made. I’m willing to strap in for the long run. This is going to take time. We are going to be terrible for a while but we have to just suck it up unfortunately this isn’t a overnight fix.
Wha the heck? He let herrera and lukaku go who are way better than lingard and rashford. We will never win anything with low quality players like Jlingz and Beans and you think this is the right direction?

Brexit FC is a sinking ship we need talent not nationalism

Last edited by a moderator:

In Rainbows

Maybe Jose go the best out of De Gea?
Huh? It's de Gea. He's been developed for a while now and it's the one position that doesn't take much coaching from the manager unless it's to play out from the back, which didn't happen under Mou.

Hughes35

Huh? It's de Gea. He's been developed for a while now and it's the one position that doesn't take much coaching from the manager unless it's to play out from the back, which didn't happen under Mou.
Maybe Jose knew how to get De Gea in the right mind set? I'm not saying this as a fact but I always find it strange how people talk about goalkeepers as though they are different from the rest of the squad. Under Jose De Gea was brilliant (As you said), since Jose left he's been really poor. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.

Anyway, we're going off thread topic.

Ole is not the man to turn this around unfortunately and we should make our move sooner rather than later. Poch is more than likely available if we want him desperately as it appears his time at Spurs is over.

PaulRich

We need our first 11 back out there after the break. Shaw. Wan Bissaka. Martial. Pogba. Pronto. Its blatantly obvious we have zero squad depth and we've been caught out with the failure to bolster key areas. What's becoming more apparent is the illusion that we have another class of 92 coming through the ranks. We don't.

gr3yham3

The problem with Jose was that he never admitted fault. Finishing 2nd should be down to de Gea.
which is quite strange when you think back about it - usually Jose liked to deflect attention away by causing some controversy or another... the times when he left clubs in bad conditions all had similar reasons: interference from owners/directors/board over his decisions.

Gasolin

We need our first 11 back out there after the break. Shaw. Wan Bissaka. Martial. Pogba. Pronto. Its blatantly obvious we have zero squad depth and we've been caught out with the failure to bolster key areas. What's becoming more apparent is the illusion that we have another class of 92 coming through the ranks. We don't.
It can't be just a squad depth issue. Even if the whole team is back, the training is not working and I am wondering what they are doing during those sessions. And they play so cowardly! Never one attempt to try to break the lines either by the movements or by the pass, always looking for side ways... come on, did they all become p***** overnight or what?

tomaldinho1

The poll here still says Ole should not be fired and be given a chance. Your 100 out of a 100 is just not true
Most fans I have spoken to who want Ole in, still don't think he's the right man for the job long term. It's more they think he's suited for this transitional phase where we are essentially resetting. Hand no heart do you think he's our best bet for manager?

Personally I think there's a long list of better suited candidates out there and if you asked United fans to be honest, I doubt there's be many who would be 100% confident that Ole is the right choice.

FYI the poll is sack now

SteveCoppellFan

Changing the manger would make little or no difference to this squad of players.

Most of them would struggle to hold down a place at a lot of premiership sides.

The fact that its somehow got to this is the real issue, absolute incompetence on many levels.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Bit of a flashback to pre Fergie days watching that. I don't necessarily even think the issue is effort. I just don't see any quality or creativity out there at all. We don't look capable of opening up teams and that's very worrying.

Obviously we all knew it was a massive mistake to let so many players go and not replace them but that was laid bare yesterday. Shocking to see players like Dalot, Young, Perreira, Fred, Mata still taking the field. Fred in particular looks to be one of the worst signings we've ever made. Can he even pass the ball forwards?

Rashford man. I just don't think he is a natural striker. Ole should be the man to coach him on that if anyone can but I don't see any signs of improvement. His movement is non existent.

Sad to see the new signings like Maguire and Dan James having to try and carry this lot.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
I still think sacking Mourinho was a bad decision. The club shd have supported the manager and dealt with Pogba who imo was toxic in the dressing room. Mourinho is gone but the situation is getting worse, which shows he wasn't the problem.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
You started watching in ‘69, we got relegated in ‘74, were perennial mid tablers in the ‘80s and finished 13th in 1990 whilst spending a lot of the season hovering just above the drop zone, people forget that because we won the cup on a run that included three 1-0 wins. And THIS is the worst you’ve seen us play?

Are you sure?
that's what I said. we played better football (including in 1990) even if we were not very good. I indeed remember us flirting with relegation until we won 2-0 at QPR: we were bloody brilliant that evening because we had the quality of the likes of Neil Webb who could pass to guys wearing the same colour shirt as he had on

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
By some margin.

People post their head over LVG by the end but I honestly think we’d have been better off keeping him.
LvG knew we had personnel problems in that team, hence the way we played. If he had been able to adjust it the next season, who knows. Again the players did not help matters, but getting rid of him and then going in a completely different direction was stupid. If we thought LvG was the right style, then get a similar manager.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Seeing the goal again, there are seven (yes, bloody seven) United players in the penalty area, not including DDG, and one Newcastle player. No one goes to close down the shot.. they are standing there like utter muppets

Player Ratings

3.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 473 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% Newcastle 0:1 Man Utd
  • 16% Newcastle 1:1 Man Utd