PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:1 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 26 December 2019

always_hoping

Job done. A welcome change to beat a team United were expected to beat and beat them comfortably. Game over after the 3rd goal for United and by then could take off 3 key players to rest them for Saturday.

The match stats speak for themselves.

Shots on goal 22 v 7
Shots on target 10 v 2
Possession 74% v 26%

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Really happy with that, we showed the way we want to play tonight.
We’re going to be inconsistent with a young squad, but tonight was a really positive performance and result.

Foxbatt

A good result but still we had too basic flaws that will get punished. The front three on their own are very good. It is the midfield. We need to find a replacement for Matic that will let Fred play a more free role. Scott cannot play in that role.

Hughie77

Deserved 3pts, bad start, but showed how these boys can react to going behind, I don't expect the same away on Sat, Burnley will defend , so our CM and back 4 need to be clever.
Thought Dropping James was good shout, this was ideal home game to start Greenwood. Maybe same 11 on Sat to start. Or Pogba in from start.

soralapio

I was extremely impressed with the way United clawed their way back into the game. The start was disastrously bad, and after Newcastle scored I was afraid it was going to snap the team's mental backs again, but instead United got back into the game and took advantage of Newcastle's mistakes to score a bundle once again.

Pogba was also a joy to watch. He brings so much creativity and poise into the midfield, and I hope we'll see the day when him, McTominay and Fred are all fit at once so we can finally see how they'll work together. Lingard I mostly feel bad for. You can tell he's trying as hard as he can, but he's just so much out of form even the simplest things aren't working for him.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
All is good in the world again.

Gator Nate

Martial was on. Greenwood was on. Rashford was on. Fred was on. AWB was on.

Everyone else was playing well, too. I thought Shaw was strong on the left, Pereira played with gusto, and Lindelof/Maguire worked well together again. DeGea had next to nothing to do today, and that was a good shot they put in against him.

Hoping McT's injury isn't that severe and Ole was just playing it safe with him. Would rather Pogba have come in for Pereira a little later. Mata and Lingard did their jobs. That's all I wanted to see with four goals in the bag and a game in two days.

Am I the only one that thinks our press is forcing errors? And is it really counter-attack when you're getting the ball back in their half?

Squad-wise, Ole placed us in a very good position for Saturday against a team that should be of lesser quality than today's opponent. I think Williams and James start and Pogba is still fresh. Maybe we'll see Tuanzebe... looks like AWB got a late knock on his foot, but perhaps it's nothing.

Gordon S

So happy for this! We really needed that quick response to their goal to get going, but after that we grew in confidence and smashed them. So good to have Pogba back in the team again!

Foxbatt

Incidentally I found Paul Scholes is looking like Vladmir Putin. Anyone think so?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Can we now follow up with two wins at Burnley and Arsenal please.

reddevil702

Good performance and even better finishing. Glad we made Newcastle pay for their mistakes. Even though we were gifted 3 goals, we were still the better team and the outcome would have been very similar.

Fts 74

Pleased with that, except the 1st 20 minutes but after we equalised there was only going to be one winner.

Would've liked 5 and Martial hat trick but onto Saturday were we hopefully start better.

Woodzy

Funny old game. After 20 minutes it genuinely looked like a game that could have put Ole in the running for the sack.

Turns out to be one of our better performances of the season and probably buys Ole a lot more time.

croadyman

So frustrating we haven't got closer than four points,pleased that we played less counter attack stuff today but still worried about Lindelof against Wood on Saturday.

Nice to finally win a league game from a losing position again,only took ten months to do it.

They definitely were more open than I expected and it felt like a similar result to Brighton. The main difference being that we didn't go behind in that one.

Last edited:

Offsideagain

Why does it take them 20 minutes and a goal before they can play some good stuff? After we equalised, it became mush better and the second half was like a training session. Greenwood is gold and we must keep him. Don’t know where Harland will play if we get him.

siw2007

As abysmal as we were against Watford, we were fantastic against Newcastle this afternoon. The first 20 minutes were very poor but as soon as we clicked into gear we ripped them apart.

Martial will get Motm but I thought Fred was faultless in the middle.
Just hope we don’t revert to complacency against Burnley.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Best performance in a long while. Still hungry for goals even after 4 :drool:
+1

We need more wins with high scores to start building confidence. That is how we return back to the intimidating form that was seeding terror into weaker teams way before they even faced us on the field.

NewGlory

Good win, Martial was gold, even Pereira looks decent :D

Newcastle made a terrible mistake deciding to go for the kill after 0-1. We're Utd ffs.
Pereira looked rubbish, which is what he is. Him and Lingard should be gone as soon as we can get rid of them. They are not even mid-table team level. Newcastle wouldn't swap brothers Longstaff for Lingard/Pereira, and Newcastle is solidly a mid-table team, at best.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
All the good players bailed Ole out again. Stealing a living getting them to play well together again. ARGHHHH I'm so mad.

Gator Nate

As abysmal as we were against Watford, we were fantastic against Newcastle this afternoon. The first 20 minutes were very poor but as soon as we clicked into gear we ripped them apart.

Martial will get Motm but I thought Fred was faultless in the middle.
Just hope we don’t revert to complacency against Burnley.
Spot on. Fred is an absolute workhorse and keeps things going both ways. Right now, probably my player of the year unless Martial or Rashford start racking up more goals for wins.

OldPop

Very nice with a comfortable victory. Being able to enjoy the other half without having to be terrified of a single mistake would destroy everything felt unusual. Apart from the first 20 minutes which were really bad, everyone should have praise today.

ThinkTank@Cafe

For all those who says Newcastle gifted us the win: their mistakes were forced by our pressing. They couldn’t pass out, couldn’t afford a second to think on the ball. Big credit to the team. Lindelof must be sold. Softest United CB I’ve ever seen.

bludsucker

We put in the minimum effort possible in every game. It’s why we don’t seem to bother trying in a lot of games until we’re losing with 10 minutes to go. Not that I want to be negative about the performance today but I do wish we’d go for the jugular in these games. Newcastle were there for the taking but once we made it four we conserved energy.
Did you even watch the match or did you see the score line and decide that we took the pedal off the gas? We were putting un anything but minimal effort in today’s game. We were going for it till the last minute and that was a fact which even the commentators acknowledged. Some people need to find something or the the other to moan about i guess.

Red00012

Great performance, game closed out early and hopefully fresh for Saturday.

We’re a left back and a CM away from been very decent.

I have much doubts about Lindelof too but I think Tuanzebe could come in there.

NewGlory

Spot on. Fred is an absolute workhorse and keeps things going both ways. Right now, probably my player of the year unless Martial or Rashford start racking up more goals for wins.
Rashford has already surpassed Nani's EPL record

Nani: 147 apps, 26 goals
Rashy: 130 apps, 38 goals.

And Rashford is having his best season, by far. He's on his way.

NewGlory

Great performance, game closed out early and hopefully fresh for Saturday.

We’re a left back and a CM away from been very decent.

I have much doubts about Lindelof too but I think Tuanzebe could come in there.
Left back and couple CMs would be our priority, indeed. We need much more depth as well, however, if we are to compete for anything beyond top 4 spot. Keep in mind - this year is a pretty weak EPL, with a lot of top teams rebuilding and a lot of teams dropping points. In a more competitive season, a no-depth squad like ours would have no chance.

Strelok

Why does it take them 20 minutes and a goal before they can play some good stuff? After we equalised, it became mush better and the second half was like a training session. Greenwood is gold and we must keep him. Don’t know where Harland will play if we get him.
First 20' Newcastle played with a really low defensive line, tried to park the bus and quick counter. The plan was very successfull. We sucked at both attack and defend as usual.

After the first goal they decided to attack us, their defensive line was pushed higher, more body committed to attack and we started to get chances. Then came the equaliser, you can notice that both Martial and Pereira were pretty unmarked and there were gaps in their defence.

After 1-1 they still sticked with the attacking plan, tried to build from the back but their defenders were not City defenders. We pressed them well so they fecked up, that's where the mistakes came and we scored.

After 4-1 they gave up.

I don't mean to play down this win but honestly our issues stay pretty much the same. We're so lucky that Newcastle just made a terrible decision and played to our strength this match.

Classical Mechanic

We got 3 gifts today, I can’t remember a game where we’ve had even 1 this season. Still cautious because if the keeper doesn’t fumble Martial’s first they wouldn’t have had to come out. I don’t think we can read too much into it. A crap performance in the next game wouldn’t surprise me.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Absolutely ecstatic anout the win but I don’t know why this can’t be our standard against the mid and lower table teams. What remains to be seen is if this performance can be consistent. We’ll see in a matter of 48 hours thankfully.

By the way, Greenwood is the fecking man.

NewGlory

This is the way we should be putting away all the teams we should be putting away like this.
Attack early, attack fearlessly. Don't be afraid of opening-up and being vulnerable on counters. If we concede a goal, we should score 4 more.

Instead, our previous strategy was - take it easy, wait until they get tired and go for a kill-shot after 65th minute. Except, nobody was getting tired and we were running out of time.

Nickelodeon

Average first half but clinical.
Fantastic football in second half but dodgy finishing.

Red00012

Rashford has already surpassed Nani's EPL record

Nani: 147 apps, 26 goals
Rashy: 130 apps, 38 goals.

And Rashford is having his best season, by far. He's on his way.
Very strange comparison.

Nani was an out and out winger and never played up top

Strelok

Pereira looked rubbish, which is what he is. Him and Lingard should be gone as soon as we can get rid of them. They are not even mid-table team level. Newcastle wouldn't swap brothers Longstaff for Lingard/Pereira, and Newcastle is solidly a mid-table team, at best.
I must disagree with this.

First 20' he was rubbish but after that he got some really nice touches though. Still a lot of bad decisions but this match he was much better than usual.

However agree that we should get rid of him (and Lingard) asap.

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 316 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Man Utd 2:0 Newcastle
  • 16% Man Utd 2:1 Newcastle