Manchester United 4:1 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 26 December 2019

mu4c_20le

Finally took advantage of our rivals dropping points. Well done lads

Sara125

Best performance in a long while. Still hungry for goals even after 4 :drool:

Nick7

Good win. Much needed 3 points. Awful the first 35 minutes with a good 20 minutes either side of half time. The last half hour may not have even happened.

ash_86

Finally felt like a routine win. Still need to start strong.

SER19

Very enjoyable and good rest for rashford and Martial. That we started the game level with that Newcastle team is almost beyond comprehension

joedirt87

not sure how to feel about this game. Three points, great, scored some nice goals, but Newcastle were so self destructive.

Suvvernmanc

Big difference in tactics tonight. Players got closer to together and played little one touch passes in little triangles. Movement and runs in behind were good and shooting was good, loads of shots on target.

Ole definitely changed the setup

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Stuff them with goals and then control the match. Good display of just that.

Should be 6:1, but the new year fixtures will require more stamina.

Shiva87

Great result and good comeback. We really are a very up and down team!

Enjoyed that performance even though we did get quite lucky with three of those goals.

Very happy to see AWB cross a ball well and Rashford jumping to head it in. Don't remember when one of our strikers last scored from a header like that!

El Zoido

Why do we always seem to stop at 4 goals
We put in the minimum effort possible in every game. It’s why we don’t seem to bother trying in a lot of games until we’re losing with 10 minutes to go. Not that I want to be negative about the performance today but I do wish we’d go for the jugular in these games. Newcastle were there for the taking but once we made it four we conserved energy.

The Urban Goose

Big difference in tactics tonight. Players got closer to together and played little one touch passes in little triangles. Movement and runs in behind were good and shooting was good, loads of shots on target.

Ole definitely changed the setup
Thought playing Pereira instead of Lingard made a huge difference to the team interplay.

Paul_Scholes18

Great win against a poor side. Need more of these. Also need to start better in games.
First time we have turned a game around and got a win so that should give us a boost.
Still a lot to work on. Although wan bissaka getting forward more could help us. Nice cross from him to Rashford.

Strelok

Good win, Martial was gold, even Pereira looks decent :D

Newcastle made a terrible mistake deciding to go for the kill after 0-1. We're Utd ffs.

RedDevilRoshi

That will do very nicely :D

When we went a goal down, we produced one of our best performances of the season. Only small, slight annoyance that I have is, I wished we had scored a couple more but a win with a 4-1 scoreline is not one to complain about.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Nice we came back into it and good to get young Mason scoring and Martial getting confidence.

Lingard needs to be dropped from the squad. Play Gomes otherwise another amazing talent will leave as he see's names being picked over ability.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Good win. Happy to see the turnaround after a really shite start.

I swear our problem is more mental than anything. That's the only reason I can see why we're so inconsistent. There surely must be some method we can use to combat this?

Anyway 3 points and let's keep going.

Eplel

I was about to praise Pereira for getting an assist, but then I realized that Newcastle did a 2 times better job of feeding our attackers with 2 assists.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Seem to wake up after Newcastle scored, not sure if it's a confidence thing or not. The only down side for me is that we had Jones, Young, Lingard and Mata on the bench, we could have had Tuanzebe, Williams, Gomes and Garner, or at least a couple of them.

Irwin99

Responded well after a poor start. Dominated the game after the third goal. Yes Newcastle made 3 mistakes but we forced them into making them with our pressing.

Pogba and Fred looked very good and took control of the game.

Our fullbacks are still a big concern to me and our centre backs are too passive at times. Great cross by AWB for the goal but he puts the midfielders in some difficult situations at times with what should be easy passes. He'll learn though. Not sure I can say the same about Shaw.

3 away games now.

Untd55

Started the game poorly. We looked pretty clueless at the beginning of the game and it looked like it was going to be another Watford.

Newcastle opened the game up, which was a bad decision. That, on top of the mistakes, benefited us. We were able to capitalise on our chances.

In the end, it just showed what we all knew: give us space and we will score. However, we still looked pretty toothless in the first 20mins when it was far less open.

We looked better in the passing department once McTominay was replaced by Pogba.

Still, a good win that was entertaining for about 50 minutes.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Also wish Martial had got his hat trick but anyway...

madzo2007

Nice to have a game where you didn't have to worry about hanging onto a lead

Thankfully Newcastle's defence was very obliging

UnitedChampionsAgain

Decent performance in the end. Need to start doing this away, beginning with Burnley. Interesting that Newcastle kept the bus parked even at 4-1. These low quality sides really do know only one way to set up against us.

RedIan

A nightmare start to the game, we were run ragged for 20 minutes shambolic defending and were lucky not to go 2 down. once we equalised we looked more like Man United of old, moved the ball quickly and played some great attacking football. Newcastle mistakes helped but we played very well for 50 minutes after equalising. Fred had a great game, Perriera had a decent game - great goals from Martial Greenwood and Rashford.

Thank-you United enjoyed it. No moaning tonight!

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 316 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Man Utd 2:0 Newcastle
  • 16% Man Utd 2:1 Newcastle