PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:1 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 26 December 2019

Devil may care

Lethal finishing from the lads up front, and I was pleased to see AWB get an assist. Fred was on his terrier game today as well. Mason is cold, so promising and I think the quality of his all round game is getting a bit overlooked.

I thought Ole made the rights subs as well, McTominay needs some rest and Pogba got a full half under his belt, plus we got to rest Rashford and Martial due to killing the game off so early, good stuff.

Nickelodeon

First 20' Newcastle played with a really low defensive line, tried to park the bus and quick counter. The plan was very successfull. We sucked at both attack and defend as usual.

After the first goal they decided to attack us, their defensive line was pushed higher, more body committed to attack and we started to get chances. Then came the equaliser, you can notice that both Martial and Pereira were pretty unmarked and there were gaps in their defence.

After 1-1 they still sticked with the attacking plan, tried to build from the back but their defenders were not City defenders. We pressed them well so they fecked up, that's where the mistakes came and we scored.

After 4-1 they gave up.

I don't mean to play down this win but honestly our issues stay pretty much the same. We're so lucky that Newcastle just made a terrible decision and played to our strength this match.
That’s what pressing is supposed to do. Especially to weaker teams. For once, we did it well.

bludsucker

Lethal finishing from the lads up front, and I was pleased to see AWB get an assist. Fred was on his terrier game today as well. Mason is cold, so promising and I think the quality of his all round game is getting a bit overlooked.

I thought Ole made the rights subs as well, McTominay needs some rest and Pogba got a full half under his belt, plus we got to rest Rashford and Martial due to killing the game off so early, good stuff.
Mctominay was injured so that was an enforced change. He did his knee ligaments in the first half according to ole. We just can’t catch a break with these injuries.

Withnail

Apparently he's done himself a mischief.

The absolute last thing we needed.

Luckily we got Pogba back but is he up to starting every game now?

stu_1992

Poor start but ended with a very nice win indeed. Some very nice goals with the obvious stand out being Greenwood's.

It's important to note that Newcastle self destructed really. Suicidal stuff for 3 of the goals, so we can't get too carried away. But nice win. Lots of positives. Rashford and Greenwood continue recent good form. Two goals for Martial. We were able to rest a few for Saturday. Pogba got more minutes on his comeback. And we were able to catch up on top 4.

Devil may care

:lol:
That's a bar! :D

Mctominay was injured so that was an enforced change. He did his knee ligaments in the first half according to ole. We just can’t catch a break with these injuries.
Apparently he's done himself a mischief.

The absolute last thing we needed.

Luckily we got Pogba back but is he up to starting every game now?

Ah shit! :mad: I feel this injury will have been caused by a build up of one or two of the recent knocks he's had and too much playing without any rotation. So frustrating.

Alabaster Codify7

Great result. great performance.

Great goal return too.

I'll buy my time, like Ole. Do that at Burnley on the weekend (even 0-1 or 1-2) and happy days.

I want consistency. Hopefully the lads can keep it going but I've been bitten too often., I won't fall in love after today. We are capable of taking out every single one of these teams, it's on the coaches and the team to actually DO IT. And we are definitely capable of it.

4-1 against Newcastle, is a damn good result against Bruce's Newcastle nowadays. Stop the frustration lads, go and keep it coming.

U-N-I-T-E-D

Really hope we play 4-3-3 on Saturday - when we do we win!

Shame about McTominay but we looked good today. Wins against Burnley and Arsenal would be brilliant but can’t help but think we’ll lose at Burnley and everyone will be on a down then we’ll beat Arsenal and all will be forgotten.

It will all be worth it if we can have more consistency next season but let’s see!

A-man

That’s what pressing is supposed to do. Especially to weaker teams. For once, we did it well.
Completely agree. Pressing weaker teams and they will make mistakes and if we take care of those chances we win.

dev1l

Hopefully nothing serious for McTominay... we ll miss him

ants7

Good result. I liked that we managed to make the most of their own mistakes. I am not a football genius but I did not see that win being a result of Oles genius tactical master-plan. Happy for Martial and I like having Pogba back.

This result does not change my mind about Ole one bit, HOWEVER, Ole now has yet another chance to shut some of his doubters wrong by getting the result on Saturday at Turf Moor. Lets hope he does that. Sounds insane but there is still a chance to make top four.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
i enjoyed the game. i just think counter-attack football is a bit limited and easy to counter. A better organised team would not have thrown away their lead like this.

Fletchageddon

It's starting to come together. The pressing is starting to cause errors. Way more energy and pace in the passss. Guys trying 1-2s and working in triangles.

Mcsauce and AWB need to work on their pass accuracy though.

Pogba seems to accept now that he has to work for the team, he's not to be the headline which is great news. He will really help open up teams.

We could end up in CL places by first week of January. Which is incredible in every sense of the word.

Regalia

First 20' Newcastle played with a really low defensive line, tried to park the bus and quick counter. The plan was very successfull. We sucked at both attack and defend as usual.

After the first goal they decided to attack us, their defensive line was pushed higher, more body committed to attack and we started to get chances. Then came the equaliser, you can notice that both Martial and Pereira were pretty unmarked and there were gaps in their defence.

After 1-1 they still sticked with the attacking plan, tried to build from the back but their defenders were not City defenders. We pressed them well so they fecked up, that's where the mistakes came and we scored.

After 4-1 they gave up.

I don't mean to play down this win but honestly our issues stay pretty much the same. We're so lucky that Newcastle just made a terrible decision and played to our strength this match.
Pretty much what happened. Their backline and keeper were very shaky and they should never have tried to attack. We do badly against a low block, surprised they didn't know that with how the first 20 minutes went.

Can't say beating an average Newcastle side should be much more than par for the course for us, whatever our problems. Still, you take what you get, and the goals were all pretty good goals. Greenwood is looking the part too. Unfortunate to have to say this, but let's see if the manager and players have what it takes to keep this sort of form going for more than a game or two.

briansy

I was extremely impressed with the way United clawed their way back into the game. The start was disastrously bad, and after Newcastle scored I was afraid it was going to snap the team's mental backs again, but instead United got back into the game and took advantage of Newcastle's mistakes to score a bundle once again.

Pogba was also a joy to watch. He brings so much creativity and poise into the midfield, and I hope we'll see the day when him, McTominay and Fred are all fit at once so we can finally see how they'll work together. Lingard I mostly feel bad for. You can tell he's trying as hard as he can, but he's just so much out of form even the simplest things aren't working for him.
I wasn't. It was a terrible goalkeeping error that got us back into the game and when Newcastle then changed their shape / effectively completely capitulated, we had the run of the game. Frankly, it was handed to us on a plate and it baffles me why people are suggesting this is a corner turned. Martial is massively inconsistent and seems far more comfortable when the pressure is off. Pogba did very little in my view. De Gea had very little to do which is a good thing as he is living off past glories. He shouldn't have started. Glad we got the win and it was great we have some fuel in the tank for the next game after that second half. But that's about it.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Best attitude and work rate I've seen in months from this team against a club outside the top 6. Also, Martial worked hard. Great to see.

theklr

Seem to wake up after Newcastle scored, not sure if it's a confidence thing or not. The only down side for me is that we had Jones, Young, Lingard and Mata on the bench, we could have had Tuanzebe, Williams, Gomes and Garner, or at least a couple of them.
This!! Wtf... would have been a perfect game to put a kid on, but they werent even on the bench.

soralapio

Pogba did very little in my view.
The rest of your post was largely nonsense as well, but I'll focus on this because while we don't have statistics on how current or old Dave's glories might be, we DO have stats on the difference Pogba had on the game.

100% successful take-ons
91% pass accuracy
5/6 long balls
4 ball recoveries
3 shots
3 tackles won
2 key passes

Reactions: Penna

MikeeMike

Genuinely puzzled at the comment “Fred is player of the year”.
Maybe most improved in last 2 months.
Cruised to win after shaky start.
Var will bite us on backside after “foul” leading to goal. probably away at Anfield.

Full bodied red

I said after the Chelsea match in August that I wouldn't get carried away by the result.

Today, same as.

Newcastle are not a very good team and even as poor as we are some days, anything much less than 4 - 1 would have been ( should have been !! ) a disappointment to any team with Top 4 ambitions.

But Thanks to the team today, at least, for bringing Christmas to a nice close.

Josep Dowling

The rest of your post was largely nonsense as well, but I'll focus on this because while we don't have statistics on how current or old Dave's glories might be, we DO have stats on the difference Pogba had on the game.

100% successful take-ons
91% pass accuracy
5/6 long balls
4 ball recoveries
3 shots
3 tackles won
2 key passes
Plus the fact the game was won when he came on. Once it went 4-1 we weren’t exactly going for 5. Ball retention and make sure we didn’t concede.

Before Rashford and Martial went off that 15 minutes was lovely to watch. Can’t wait to see him back fully fit. Just a shame McTominay is now injured once he comes back.

roseguy64

We put in the minimum effort possible in every game. It’s why we don’t seem to bother trying in a lot of games until we’re losing with 10 minutes to go. Not that I want to be negative about the performance today but I do wish we’d go for the jugular in these games. Newcastle were there for the taking but once we made it four we conserved energy.
If this wasn't the Christmas period glut of games I would agree but the aim around this period is just the results and conserving energy.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Great win today and + 3 on GD too.
if there were any quibbles it’s that we should have had 5, 6, or 7 goals.
Peirera looked well improved as did most of the rest.
Pity about McT.
Hopefully this time we can go on a decent run of games with us 4 pts out of 4th.

Gazautd18

Yeah see. I don't know if it's a great United performance or a weak Newcastle bearing Christmas gifts that done it.
Suppose we'll find out at Turf Moor.
Cautiously optimistic for this one.

Paul_Scholes18

The best thing about today was that we came from behind and got the win. I don't think we have done that since PSG.
Hopefully it should give us confidence that we can turn things around in games. Although we got some gifts from them.

Let's hope we can beat Burnley now.

lemmiwink

Delighted with the game. I don’t know if this means Ole got some answers on how to beat the poorer teams, but a victory against a tricky opponent is a boost none the less.

The whole team plus coaches get a thumbs up from me today.

meninred

Not being critical..three of the four goals were almost a gift. It i will help us not to be complacent on next game.

Giggsy13

Greenwood has earned a regular starting place, he is brilliant. I like James but he’s turning more into a squad player rather than a regular. The McTominay news is terrible, he was having such a good season. We’re lucky Fred has improved and Pogba is back otherwise it would be a very dire situation.

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 316 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Man Utd 2:0 Newcastle
  • 16% Man Utd 2:1 Newcastle