PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 16 October 2022

Shiva87

Spot on but thats not good enough for some morans. Honestly where do people think we should be in our development? Some fans are an absolute joke....
I believe a lot of the OTT responses in post match threads are emotional (I've been guilty of them too). Most of the same fans will watch the game again next week and want the team to win.

Fans hope that results turn around quickly so we have something to fight for at the end of the season.

We are all tired of fighting for top 4 and falling short!

Shiva87

As usual, since the restrictions on new members were lifted, I don't think the volume of whingeing and stupid comments on here reflects the general feeling at the stadium or around Manchester. It's a shame that you used to be able to have insightful and interesting conversations on here and now it's just morons crying about every little thing.

I came away from the game with tonnes of positives. Sure, it would have been nice to get the (deserved) win, but we didn't take our chances...so what? We knew this season was going to be one of transition.

The GK needs to be replaced, his distribution is Sunday League level, we know that, ETH knows that.

The CF needs to be replaced. It's ridiculous to believe a 38yo can start and lead the line week-in, week out for a Premier League side. We know that, ETH knows that.

Fred is abject, dire, terrible, rank, vile, crap, rubbish, turd, garbage, trash, useless, no-good, poor...but we had no other options today. We know that, ETH knows that.

Dalot is a fair-to-average RB who doesn't offer much on the overlap...we know that, ETH knows that.

Sancho and Rashford both needs lots of work and conditioning on the training ground to get them playing at the right tempo and with the right aggression...I saw positives in that respect today (and recently). ETH knows this and will fix it...or they will leave.

Point is, just because we know something and ETH knows something is moot. We could never address all of our issues in one window. We're not a Sugar Daddy Oil Cheat team AND even if we can/do spend £1BN across 2/3 windows, there'd still need to be a period of adjustment whilst the players got to grips with new teammates, a new style and a new strategy.

It's pointless moaning and gnashing your teeth about stuff we all know and recognise! Try having a bit of patience and looking at it for what it is.

Today we restricted Newcastle to scraps and looked very solid. We created the best chances. We controlled territory, for the most part. We showed real aggression and fight. It was great to see Casemiro storming into tackles, Anthony shoulder-charging full-backs and Martinez generally be a 'b**tard. It's about time we lost that 'soft-touch' feel and I can see signs that is changing rapidly.

Yes, we lack that little bit of quality...that's actually the easiest thing to fix. I'm pleased we're finally seem some fight, some standards, players connecting with the fans, some aggression and a clear, modern style of football
Top post. Glad to know that the stadium feeling is totally different! On TV, they always show a bunch of fans leaving around the 85 min mark.

I was wondering why that was happening in a game we played well for the most part.

Redderp

These are the games we need to win to get top four this season. We need to win our home games. The other top teams are not dropping many points this season.

Lentwood

Top post. Glad to know that the stadium feeling is totally different! On TV, they always show a bunch of fans leaving around the 85 min mark.

I was wondering why that was happening in a game we played well for the most part.
I think that happens every game to be honest, it certainly has for as long as I have been going.

And, also...I don't want that post to be interpreted as 'you have to go to games to be a fan'...I'm not a regular now. My point is, I am sick of the negativity and whingeing on this forum. The season is 10 games old, people need to relax!

alexthelion

As usual, since the restrictions on new members were lifted, I don't think the volume of whingeing and stupid comments on here reflects the general feeling at the stadium or around Manchester. It's a shame that you used to be able to have insightful and interesting conversations on here and now it's just morons crying about every little thing.
Not just the newbies though, there's plenty of posters with thousands of posts just as bad.

The rest I agree with totally

Hughes35

We were OK but not great. Newcastle are a good side so it's definitely not a terrible result. We're not a top team but we are definitely getting better.

Defensively we look miles better. Varanasi and Martinez are very good! We missed Erikson today though, I think he might have been the one to unlock that deep defense.

Need another top striker asap.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton

I came away from the game with tonnes of positives. Sure, it would have been nice to get the (deserved) win, but we didn't take our chances...so what? We knew this season was going to be one of transition.

The GK needs to be replaced, his distribution is Sunday League level, we know that, ETH knows that.

The CF needs to be replaced. It's ridiculous to believe a 38yo can start and lead the line week-in, week out for a Premier League side. We know that, ETH knows that.

Fred is abject, dire, terrible, rank, vile, crap, rubbish, turd, garbage, trash, useless, no-good, poor...but we had no other options today. We know that, ETH knows that.

Dalot is a fair-to-average RB who doesn't offer much on the overlap...we know that, ETH knows that.

Sancho and Rashford both needs lots of work and conditioning on the training ground to get them playing at the right tempo and with the right aggression...I saw positives in that respect today (and recently). ETH knows this and will fix it...or they will leave.

Point is, just because we know something and ETH knows something is moot. We could never address all of our issues in one window. We're not a Sugar Daddy Oil Cheat team AND even if we can/do spend £1BN across 2/3 windows, there'd still need to be a period of adjustment whilst the players got to grips with new teammates, a new style and a new strategy.

It's pointless moaning and gnashing your teeth about stuff we all know and recognise! Try having a bit of patience and looking at it for what it is.

Today we restricted Newcastle to scraps and looked very solid. We created the best chances. We controlled territory, for the most part. We showed real aggression and fight. It was great to see Casemiro storming into tackles, Anthony shoulder-charging full-backs and Martinez generally be a 'b**tard. It's about time we lost that 'soft-touch' feel and I can see signs that is changing rapidly.

Yes, we lack that little bit of quality...that's actually the easiest thing to fix. I'm pleased we're finally seem some fight, some standards, players connecting with the fans, some aggression and a clear, modern style of football
Top post. I keep saying this. One good game, we're world beaters, one average game, we're dross. But for a couple of dodgy decisions we would have beaten (allegedly) the next best team in the Premiership

Stump it up

So much negativity here, at times our transitional play and passing was a HUGE improvement from recent seasons. This Newcastle side we faced have been decent, this game was never an easy run so lets all respect that at times our passing and movement nullified them completely. There are so many reasons to be confident on the future of our club. If we had a proper goal scorer this game would have finished so much differently.

Reactions: Theonas

The1974s

That happens at every game , it's mostly people leaving to catch the train early .
The Stadium and this place are way apart in difference of opinions on players and the teams performances .

The1974s

People need to relax .
We are 10 games into a new managers reign at the club, it will take time for United to be consistent but I genuinely thought before kickoff that we could have lost today so the performance was encouraging.

Ibi Dreams

It wasn't as bad as some people are saying. Second half we completely bossed them and they didn't have a sniff. Creating chances is an issue, but we actually did create a few and with better finishing we'd have won. The big worry is finishing - twice in a row we've dominated and either not won or barely won. Desperately need a striker, or we need to start playing to Ronaldo's strengths, whatever they are now.

Also, Newcastle have been good this season. A point and a clean sheet isn't totally awful. We need to remember that this is Ten Hag's first season and we're still in the first half of it. Obviously we all want to see goals and wins but despite not scoring I don't think the performance was negative. It highlighted what we're missing in terms of players more than it did coaching

AndyMUFC

It was a crap game, one of the worst United Newcastle game I can remember seeing actually as usually have pretty entertaining games with them.

Result isn't a disaster but it wasn't a good performance. Never did enough to win the game. First half in particular was utter shit, couldn't keep the ball at well whether it be a misplaced pass or a shit ball over the top to nobody and Newcastle somehow didn't score with the Joelinton efforts off the bar and post. Second half was a little bit better after around the hour mark, we actually played kept possession a bit and pinned them back a little bit without forcing the keeper into any saves. God knows how one of those Fred or Rashford chances didn't go in late on but if you don't create anything.

Definitely missed Eriksen today, Fred was crap again, Ronaldo anonymous and Sancho and Bruno did very little again too. Defence didn't give much up in open play though which was a positive again.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

Good post

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Ronaldo had a poor game today but the one thing he did do was get free in the box quite a few times and a decent cross would have seen him score an easy header.
No one can deny he can still do that.
Some of the crossing today was abysmal. Typical that the one good one goes to Rashford who has the heading skills of a Sunday league player.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Even though it was a bit of a stalemate we’re so much better at almost everything than this time last year.

I was there today and it was a good atmosphere. Martinez, Varane and Casemiro were all good. It’s so nice to finally have a top midfielder who commands that bit of the pitch although I felt we missed Eriksen today, I think he could have found a way through for someone had he played.

Newcastle are a really well organised team on a good run and they made it hard work for us but we weren’t terrible by any means, just need that extra edge up front.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
I had to show my PHD qualification and my MENSA membership when I joined.
Now I think they are even letting working class people join. I think some of them are even football fans.
How I yearn for the days of philosophical discussion with like minded intellectuals.

MrSingh2002

Bruno non existent again. Ronaldo is finished and needs to be sold in January, Fred seemed to not complete a meaningful pass in the game.

Nothing new that we don't already know. Hopefully Ten Hag is backed with a striker in the January window or our season really could fizzle out.

We can't do anything in midfield without Eriksen. I trust Ten Hag as its nothing he doesn't know and hence why he wanted Eriksen and De Jong for the CM position.

Just have to continue backing him with the players he feels we need.

GK, ST and CM must be the priorities. De Gea, Ronaldo and Fred should go if we get the 3 we need.

TheGame

Frustrating as we need to be winning these games for a top 4 challenge. Also wished ETH through on Garnacho for a change up front. We only used one sub. Appreciate we were under resourced in midfield with a few people out.

SirScholes

Bruno non existent again. Ronaldo is finished and needs to be sold in January, Fred seemed to not complete a meaningful pass in the game.

Nothing new that we don't already know. Hopefully Ten Hag is backed with a striker in the January window or our season really could fizzle out.

We can't do anything in midfield without Eriksen. I trust Ten Hag as its nothing he doesn't know and hence why he wanted Eriksen and De Jong for the CM position.

Just have to continue backing him with the players he feels we need.

GK, ST and CM must be the priorities. De Gea, Ronaldo and Fred should go if we get the 3 we need.
De gea is not anywhere as pressing as Fred and a striker

SirScholes

Utd played well second half
Considering we played on Thursday it wasn’t too bad
Lack of strikers will cost us
Don’t even think it was the strikers
If you present Ronaldo with a chance he’ll probably take it
But sancho, I don’t know whar he is doing but there is no body on his wave length
Antony over hit everything

Eriksen was the big loss, and dare I say it, we needed mctom on for Fred

SirScholes

Frustrating as we need to be winning these games for a top 4 challenge. Also wished ETH through on Garnacho for a change up front. We only used one sub. Appreciate we were under resourced in midfield with a few people out.
Agreed, that team could still be playing now and it would be 0-0
Take a chance, be no worse than Fred

UDontMessWith24

Newcastle aren't mugs?

Few weeks before the season finished you had that ugly mare in despair, facing relegation. It was a big push that saved them from playing in the championship this season.
What's that got to do with this season?

Lyng

Now I think they are even letting working class people join. I think some of them are even football fans.
How I yearn for the days of philosophical discussion with like minded intellectuals.
:lol:

Cantonagotmehere

F*#*#*#*#*#ck that ref. What an annoying arse. That is the most frustrated I have been with a ref in a long time. It truly felt like he was rooting for Newcastle

I thought we played pretty well vs a good Prem team. Rough one for Fred, and I like they dude. Too bad but he hurt us today.

Doracle

[/QUOTE]
Keep reading this crap about how Ronaldo would have finished the header Rashford missed. What makes you think he would have even been in that position? He looked fecked in the second half. We actually looked much better when Rashford came on. Ten Haag should have started
him and benched Ronaldo.
Rashford has been ill, otherwise he’d have definitely started.

JB7

Really good post and largely reflects my views. We wanted to see progress this season and we are seeing that game by game.

JagUTD

Thought we played well overall and were by far the better side in the second half.whats evident is the need for a striker.

Ronaldos goal should have stood in my opinion.

Lentwood

It's not about a posters' inability to write a detailed tactical analysis of our games or even write stylishly or eloquently...who cares about any of that...I suspect most of us type out posts on our phones whilst watching TV/on the bog etc...so they're never going to be works of great literature.

What I have an issue with, and am really sick of, is the constant whingeing and 'boom or bust'-style posts.

At least if you are going to moan (not saying 'you' but posters in general), try to be consistent, try to balance that with saying something positive when it's deserved and try to write something that might at least be interesting to another poster.

There's a majority of people on here who I guarantee will have posted 75%+ negative posts

lex talionis

The challenge with dropping stupid points like this is that it puts us under grater pressure to take maximum points from top six clubs. We’re capable of doing just that but we need to be firing on all cylinders in in all phases of play against Spurs and Chelsea.

Our finishing must improve if we’re to land CL qualification next season.

SAF is the GOAT

How long are we going to ignore the wasting of chances our players do in every game ? We can't keep doing this every single game and put it solely on a lack of striker.

Our other attackers need to do way better than this.

For example today with the Rashford chance - I'm sorry : you have to put the ball at least on target and make their goalkeeper "work and stretch" especially when he was so close to the goal.
I can't accept thing like that

Waynne

No Eriksen, no CM. Tells you the scale of the task for ETH.
It's not so much as scale of the task but rather patience from fans and the club.

For all of this to work, we're going to need to be patient as the right personnel required for the manager won't all be available in the same transfer windows.

Also a draw against Newcastle is not the end of the world considering the rebuilding we are currently undergoing.

always_hoping

Not like dropping points at home to Newcastle is something new.. 1997, 1998,2004,2011,2015 and today all 0-0 draws in Old Trafford v Newcastle. There was also a few 1-1 draws in 90s. Oh and lost to them 1-0 under Moyes in Old Trafford.

Waynne

We are always 3/4 players away from competing, even with spending so many millions. Maybe it’s about time we stopped wasting £100m on one player.
That 100m player is the player the manager wanted.

As for the bolded: The wasting of millions took place when Ed Woodward was at the helm. He's no longer here and we're not hemorrhaging another billion on players that won't fit the system.

City and Liverpool had patience to bring in the right people at the right time. The same is needed if we're going to be successful in rebuilding this club.

bosskeano

until we find a guy who can consistently put the ball in the back of the net, we'll be fighting for that 4th spot at best

the amount of chances rashford misses has cost united too often this season and Ronaldo is done at this high level as a striker. he's lost that half step which is what made him so difficult to defend as he had the pace to run past you but also the trickery to dribble around you. he doesn't have that anymore and is now completely reliant on service from everyone else

AlPistacho

Based on MOTD 2 highlights. Seen some positives.

Defence continues to be good, was worried that we might revert to type after City, but our last 2 matches suggest good defending is now our norm.

We created a few good moments. I liked Sancho’s ball to Antony, in the past we’d have someone who’d either blindly cross or hold onto the ball for too long and lose it.

We created match winning chances in the last minutes. Really should have taken at least one and come away with 3 points. But Fred is Fred and Rashford should have done better.

I think we’re developing well.

Ibi Dreams

Based on MOTD 2 highlights. Seen some positives.

Defence continues to be good, was worried that we might revert to type after City, but our last 2 matches suggest good defending is now our norm.

We created a few good moments. I liked Sancho’s ball to Antony, in the past we’d have someone who’d either blindly cross or hold onto the ball for too long and lose it.

We created match winning chances in the last minutes. Really should have taken at least one and come away with 3 points. But Fred is Fred and Rashford should have done better.

I think we’re developing well.
It was a pretty decent performance aside from finishing and we didn't create enough. Defensively we were sound, and we totally dominated them second half. Definitely some upsides despite the draw

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 226 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 2:1 Newcastle
  • 17% Man Utd 2:0 Newcastle