LC W League Cup Final

Manchester United 2:0 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 26 February 2023

abailey123

After the run of fixtures and the energy Thursday would have taken out of us… what a performance that was !!! Up the reds !!!

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
The difference to United now is that these victorious moments seem sustainable and embedded in a culture of winning rather than part of a “good phase” of results as it was with Ole and at times Mou

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Proud of each and every one of them.

Let’s not forget Newcastle had a full weeks worth of preparation & rest/recovery for this game whilst we were coming off the back of a very intense, close game against Barcelona.

This team is the business and it’s only going to get better and better!
Needs remembering this. Not just that, but the mass of extra games we've played over the slightly longer term as well.

You know Ten Hag will play it well midweek as well.

Loon

:lol:
Just loving today for myself, but the bitter salty tears of Sutton, Merson and all the ABUs is like a fine, 25 year old Macallan.

crossy1686

career ending
Think Sancho managed to remain offside the whole time the pass was on tbf, but Casemiro wouldn't have known that
Sancho was offside and that's what Bruno was gesticulating at him when Casemiro pulled him to one side. He left him alone after that and went to celebrate himself. It's just the level of accountability to the team that I love about it. If you're gonna feck around you can expect someone to pull you to one side and ask you what you're playing at, even if you've just won a cup final.

crossy1686

career ending
Eh, Karius was pretty good. I'm surprised at that actually.
Dubravka get's a medal, he played for us in the league cup earlier in the season. So he was sitting in the Newcastle dressing room with his winners medal while everyone else was looking at their losers medals.

Strelok

Anyone know what was it with all the white flags by the end of the match?

redmanx

ETH isn’t getting anything wrong at the moment. Bringing on AWB for Dalot was a simple master stroke. You don’t have to play beautifully in cup finals to win. We frustrated Newcastle and they barely had any real chances. This is the sign of a good manager who simply knows how to win.
Its a great day to be a Manchester United supporter and more great days will follow!

Sviken

Dubravka get's a medal, he played for us in the league cup earlier in the season. So he was sitting in the Newcastle dressing room with his winners medal while everyone else was looking at their losers medals.
Ahhh, okay :lol: . Got it

Giggsy13

That felt almost too easy. Those saying our second half was poor were watching a totally different game than I was IMHO. So freaking excited. First of many!
Exactly, you don’t necessarily need 70% possession to control a game. Newcastle barely had a sniff and if not for some poor decision making by Bruno, we could’ve scored another. Good managers and good teams can win games in different ways. This was a well played and well coached final, and a sign of good things to come.

Bocca9978

Easy win. Did Newcastle know it was a final?
Played them perfectly, well done Ten Hag.

Yorke to Cole

2 months ago Keane ‘wasn’t seeing it’ now he loves the team and getting 2 free match tickets directly from ETH.

Quite the turnaround.
Roy Keane thinks too much with his emotions and not enough with his head. That is why we see too many opinions that contrast easy other on either end of the spectrum within such a short period of time.

In terms of the match, the key aspect was mentality. At the core of this was the triad of Varane, Martinez and Casemiro. They exude of the qualities of a winning mentality. Determination, patience and timing.

All three players demonstrated why they have or in Martinez's case will play and win many finals. There positioning out of possession is second to none. They have developed an instinct approaching their opposing players with position with calmness that their interceptions look like an art form.

In relation to the whole team. This is an exceptional acheivement. To have gone into this match having played 7 to Newcastle's 3 is outstanding. As, we know this has included a home match to City and then away to Arsenal and 2 of those matches were away and then home to Barcelona

I am not sure United have not been in a situation like this Ferguson's days in charge. For example, playing European games and then coming back to play league cup final or an FA Cup ties. This is the mentality that has disappeared over the last decade. It was only a year ago we were drawing 0-0 at Old Trafford with a team that was about to relegated in Watford.

This where Erik Ten Hag deserves so much credit because he brought this excitement and even expectation back within such a short period of time. He and his back room staff have instilled a belief amongst the players and fans alike.

We need to keep taking each game at a time and continue to manage the squad as each match arrives.

We could have been more decisive with our attacking in the second half but as I said with the amount of matches we have played, that is to be expected.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheimoon

The Dane

Great to win a trophy again and see how much it meant to players like Casemiro and Varane, who are used to winning fare bigger trophies than this. Ten Hag will make United serial winners again no doubt about it.
That being said I fell sorry for the Newcastle fans. It might be that in a few years they have turned into the new Manchester City and I will hate their guts, but to hear that they are willing to trade top 4 for the Carabao cup makes you think how privileged we are to support a club like United, unlike those supporting the likes of Newcastle, Everton even Spurs. Big clubs who haven’t won a trophy for decades.

Reactions: Cheimoon

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Good, very professional job done. Despite being nowhere near our best ( excusably) we never looked in danger once we went 2 up. Finally got a top man in charge again.

Giggsy13

Just loving today for myself, but the bitter salty tears of Sutton, Merson and all the ABUs is like a fine, 25 year old Macallan.
Merson is just a moron, so I can live with his idiotic views. Sutton though is just full of spite and bitterness. I’m certain his BBC predictions has us in a relegation battle.

Member 125288

He continues to astound me. This might be the first time I've seen a player currently employed by a club to be doing punditry on his own club.
The only astounding part was that he managed to get through it without getting injured.

Fts 74

Get the feck in Absolutely buzzing after that, hopefully the 1st of many.We managed the game really well and looked the most dangerous team.
Big shouts to Casemiro, Martinez feck it all of them!!

humdinger

First trophy under Ten Hag! Milestone achievement which will relieve a lot of pressure and fill the squad with confidence.

The lads were shattered, understandably so, which is why the passing became sloppy and some of the decision making went awry as the game went on but their mental strength and grit to hold off a good team throwing everything at them was amazing. Last year we’d have lost that. I actually didn’t feel nervous at any point though, while Newcastle pinned us back and played well, there was never any sense of panic or nervousness like we’ve seen in previous seasons.

Shame we didn’t get a third goal to kill them off which would have allowed a bit of a breather.

Really enjoyed that, what a win and what an amazing team ETH is building!!

Siorac

Winning a trophy relatively comfortably without even playing particularly well is quite nice.

I'd say we looked understandably leggy at times but overall we managed the game very effectively. It was all highly professional - if sloppy at times - against a fresher, hungry opponent.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Get innnnnnnn!!!!

Enjoy these moments. This is what it’s all about. Ten Hag is the fecking one.

littlepeasoup

Obviously we'd won a couple of trophies post-SAF, but this one feels completely different.

The FA cup under LVG was the swan song of a dross couple of years, the Europa League under Mourinho was more a relief that we'd get Champions League football after being fairly shite in the league.

This feels like a beginning rather than an end, and it's really exciting.

CM

Really happy with that. We didn't play particularly well first half but still managed to get the two goals and saw the game out perfectly in the second half. Would've been nice to properly pump Newcastle but you take them all day long, been way too long since our last trophy!

SAFCinpeace

Supports
Sunderland
Cheers lads. That lot needing putting back in their box. Honestly hope you win everything this season now.

Lee565

We love our 2-0 wins against Newcastle in Cup finals, Newcastle were lucky we were sloppy in the final third in the second half

Player Ratings

7.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 365 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 2:0 Newcastle
  • 24% Man Utd 2:1 Newcastle