PL L FA Premier League

Newcastle United 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 02 April 2023

Valencia Shin Crosses

Just as bad as Anfield. It's just Liverpool were clinical and ruthless. Newcastle pissed 4 or 5 clear chances up the wall.

In fact, we might have been better at Anfield on the whole as there was a period in the 1st half where we were the better team. Today, we weren't better at any point in the game. Woeful.
Way worse than Anfield for me. We lost our heads at Anfield and were very unlucky in some spots and it just snowballed. Here we were truly battered and hardly looked a threat for the first 60 minutes or so.

SteveCoppellFan

Performances like this just show we are still a work in progress.

These type of performances pop up fairly regularly so its obvious there is massive room for improvement.

But as first seasons go for ETH, its been a very good season so far, get new owners in before the summer and get 4 or 5 quality additions in areas we clearly need and these type of performances will be way less frequent.

Reactions: oates

RedorDead21

OK I'll bite but remember we have spent over £1bn from the time SAF had left so no excuses regarding the money spent and players brought in.

We should be beating these lot easily as we have more talented players.

What eggs me is the manager persisting with this Wout experiment, then not ever making subs till after 60 mins.

The definition of insanity is doing the same shi# each time but expecting different results.
We have played a ton of games more and our first 11 players ain’t miles ahead of them today on paper at all. We are in bad form. They had a poor spell mid season as well. Away we haven’t been great all season either. It was a flip of a coin result wise.

Lentwood

The fact is Newcastle bought on two lads as subs who would start for us (Joelinton & Wilson) and that about sums up our squad. Our best XI is good, there's a woeful lack of quality and depth beyond that

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
People genuinely saying a 2-0 defeat today was worse than an all time worst defeat v Liverpool.
Some people truly have to make the current the best or worst don't they.

George The Best

People genuinely saying a 2-0 defeat today was worse than an all time worst defeat v Liverpool.
Some people truly have to make the current the best or worst don't they.
I tend to agree with them. We were on top for a good part of the first half at Liverpool, then imploded in the 2nd half. Today we were 2nd best right from the kick-off until final whistle.

Crimson King

I didn’t think this stuff was contractual, so either they asked or were invited…
Whatever the reason it just emphasises that Howe is an arrogant cnut.

Every team they play now until the end of the season should play that video before their match. Can't imagine anything more motivating.

mshnsh

We need to be ruthless if we are to become champions again. We need to get rid of Werghost (don't renew loan), Martial, Dalot, Fred, and Mctominay.

Sancho and Antony must be made to work their way into the team. They can be squad players who, if they prove their worth over time, can stay. If not, sayonara. Right now, not good enough to be starters although Antony was decent today.

We also need to upgrade on Bruno if and when the upgrade becomes available . He is good but will never take us to the next level, ditto eriksen.

We also need to give more opportunities to the likes of Pellistri and Garnacho with the hope that they come good.

The only players who are good enough for a title winning side are Casemiro, Rashford, Varane, Shaw, and Martinez. They are primarily the reason we are not lower in the league.

If we get Osimhen, Bellingham, a good right back, a better attacking midfielder than we can truly be consistently challenging for the big titles. Otherwise, it's going to be league cups at best.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

Be a shame if they missed out on the Championship League…

EDIT: *Champions League :lol:
fecking small time club with dumbass media up their arse.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Only caught the first half. Thought it was as bad as anything under Ole (bar the obvious drubbings towards the end). Looked absolutely woeful. No excuses for that kind of a performance.

NFM

Its exactly the same as the 'better' Ole years, this squad hits a brick wall at exactly the same time in the season. Its mainly an issue of mentality, ETH is correct there, they give up far too easily when they have to fight for the right to play their football. There are many players in the side who have done this for too long to ever believe they will change. Its not ability or tactics, its in between the ears.
Casemiro is a big loss, but you can't expect one man to make up for so many.
United will probably just about get over the line for a top four place, but honestly that has more to do with the season both Liverpool and Chelsea are having than anything else. People would be deluding themselves if they think otherwise. With the level of competition, winning one out of the four possible prizes is the most you can expect, that they are still in with a shout of two more is down to the manager and staff and a purple period when Marcus changed his name to Mbappe ( now ended due to a knock or two)
And unfortunately the money will be tight this summer, irrespective of ownership. Personally I think its better to pick up a few good moderately priced players than spend it all on one, however attractive that may look. The level of performance when a few key players are out drops significantly, there is a desperate need for more decent alternatives.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Only caught the first half. Thought it was as bad as anything under Ole (bar the obvious drubbings towards the end). Looked absolutely woeful. No excuses for that kind of a performance.
The excuse is no Casemiro, no Erikson, no depth. McT has always been a mediocre player and Sabitzer is an unknown quanitity. If you put out a substandard central midfield then expect to lose away to a top six team. Throw in Wout and you're in even bigger trouble.

The difference is that under Ole, McFred was first choice.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The excuse is no Casemiro, no Erikson, no depth. McT has always been a mediocre player and Sabitzer is an unknown quanitity. If you put out a substandard central midfield then expect to lose away to a top six team. Throw in Wout and you're in even bigger trouble.

The difference is that under Ole, McFred was first choice.
But if you're manager of the club you don't go into this match thinking "well, I have shite midfield options against the mighty Newcastle, so we'll lose". You try to counter that in some way. I don't know what the f happened, because this team in the first half (didn't watch the rest) looked absolutely outfought all over the pitch, bar the one off Martinez duel. There are options too, play three in midfield, drop Weghorst who was completely inefficient in that first half. I just don't think a McTominay and Sabitzer midfield explains that performance away.

RomfordRed75

I know there was no Casemiro or Eriksen but what was left were completely dominated in midfield against Longstaff, Willock and Murphy...

crossy1686

career ending
Leicester and Chelsea with a new manager bounce now, right before we play them. We're going to miss out on the top 4 and it's not even like we deserve it

Skills

Snitch

Christ. This was a legit a 4-5 goal thrashing on another day.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I know there was no Casemiro or Eriksen but what was left were completely dominated in midfield against Longstaff, Willock and Murphy...
No, the whole team were dominated, not just the midfield.
Defensively poor, nothing up top and overran due to zero support in the middle.

Yorke to Cole

But if you're manager of the club you don't go into this match thinking "well, I have shite midfield options against the mighty Newcastle, so we'll lose". You try to counter that in some way. I don't know what the f happened, because this team in the first half (didn't watch the rest) looked absolutely outfought all over the pitch, bar the one off Martinez duel. There are options too, play three in midfield, drop Weghorst who was completely inefficient in that first half. I just don't think a McTominay and Sabitzer midfield explains that performance away.
I thought the combination of Fred and Sabitzer did relatively well against Leeds and Leciester. I feel like I have gone back to dreading weekends again.

Glazers out!

Come on United!

The Irish Connection

So disappointing and frustrating.

I knew we’d struggle when I saw the team sheet. Weghorst is awful, not his fault, but once again the Glazers’ causing us problems, can’t wait until they’re gone. I just hope they don’t drag the sale out much longer as it will affect the summer transfer window.

We are still shite in midfield without Casemiro and Eriksen, while Eriksen should be a squad player going forward.
Rashford looks like he could be slipping backwards a bit again.

Ten Hag to blame as well today. We looked like we were playing for a draw from the start, as evidenced by De Gea time wasting.

Hope Martial can stay fit from now on, and that we can hang onto top 4.

tjb

The game was quite telling. I do like the fact that we've seen the team play structured dynamic football, so that way we know how the team should constantly look like.

1. Newcastle have been able to call upon both Isak and Wilson as starting strikers this season with great effect. We've had more money to spend over the last few years, yet we can't even call upon one consistent striker this season. That says a lot. We need 2 strikers this summer, because we don't have any functional ones at the moment.

2. Casemiro and Eriksen both being out affects our play. Bruno dropping deeper is clearly not a solution. I applaud him for trying to offer himself as a versatile option, but it takes away the creative aspect of his game when he drops that deep. Casemiro and Eriksen are above 30, we need at least one quality midfielder that can complement Casemiro, maybe 2 midfielders for security. Sabitzer, Mctominay and Fred are worse individually than most midfielders we meet in the league. They struggle at the basic element of providing an option for the defenders in midfield and can't string two passes without their hands being held. Casemiro needs support and as a team we also need to know that we are competent even when he doesn't play. Right now, we can't say that. Not because Casemiro is as fantastic as he is, but because the midfielders covering him are poor at replicating what he does. that cant happen.

3. Sales need to happen. Antony played well today, but we can't be as dead in attack as we are off the right after spending almost 200m on two wingers. Sancho has to go. there's been enough time to review his game. He's not performing close to youngsters we have coming from the academy, I don't see his value. Maguire/Lindelof also have some value too, I also think we might be able to get a bit from Martial and Mctominay too. We need to start maximizing our efficiency in terms of the talent we have available to us. We know how we can look now, so who do we need that can make it happen consistently. Who is indispensable? Are there stars that we ave that are great, but could also be sold with replacements providing better value. That's what we should be looking at. Right now, Varane, Martinez, Shaw, Casemiro and Rashford are our only indispensable players. Someone like Bruno is fantastic, but can also be sold if there is someone as talented on the market that fits better with what we want to do.

Bangor_Red

Dan burns a mouthpiece. We've always hated united owed them won. You won a match. Lost the cup final.
How he didn't get a yellow for the cynical challenge on Anthony in first half. Playing on a yellow for rest of game could have made a difference. We were poor. Deserved to lose. But things like that annoy me. Looked like ref went over to Anthony to have words after it. He was off the pitch no need for ref to go near him just blow whistle to play on. Clearly ref decided he was milking it, that's fine but ref shouldn't get emotional. If he's made a decision make it but remain impartial and professional

jesperjaap

The fact is Newcastle bought on two lads as subs who would start for us (Joelinton & Wilson) and that about sums up our squad. Our best XI is good, there's a woeful lack of quality and depth beyond that
Personally disagree. I think our first eleven is 3 players short and we have a pretty deep squad, its just over loaded in certain positions (like we have loads of wingers, som eon loan) and weak in others (striker obviously being one).

For me no loan should be made permanent, there are some obvious dead wood to go and we need to get real quality bought in for at least three positions in our side.

Though I like all of them, we probably have too many youngsters for wide positions and they cant all stay.

There are also big decisions to be made on some players around the first team Dalot, Maguire, Lindelof, McTominay, Sancho, Martial, Greenwood....plenty of good reasons to sell each of them.

The biggest reason we have slipped the last few games for me though is simply CAsemeiro being out, its amazing how weak without the ball and bringing hte ball our we are without him in the side. The other one....Rashford the last 3/4 games has gone off the boil, was never goign to keep up the tremendous form he has, but defensively/attacking wise....those two things coinciding have made a big difference to the side overall I feel.

I'm still confident of a top four finish, hav ebeen all year.....but I agree this side is still a long way off a title push though with the players as a whole here

AlPistacho

OK I'll bite but remember we have spent over £1bn from the time SAF had left so no excuses regarding the money spent and players brought in.

We should be beating these lot easily as we have more talented players.

What eggs me is the manager persisting with this Wout experiment, then not ever making subs till after 60 mins.

The definition of insanity is doing the same shi# each time but expecting different results.
Agreed about Wout. But Newcastle deserve credit they are a very good team, we met them at their best while we were on an off day.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Wasn't expecting a result, but that was pathetic. It's embarrassing how useless our players are without Cas on the pitch to hold their hands.

Player Ratings

4.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 216 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Newcastle 1:2 Man Utd
  • 20% Newcastle 1:1 Man Utd