PL L FA Premier League

Newcastle United 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 02 December 2023

Pscholes18

It surely won't solve our problems, but if I see Rashford starting the next couple of games I'll have a hard time forgiving ETH.

Solely because of the lack of consequence for not giving anywhere near an acceptable effort. I don't care if the season rely on playing him into form or that the alternatives aren't much better. I don't care. This level of effort is an insult towards the coach, the teammates, the club and the fans.
This.....it's one thing to be having a bad season but working your bollocks off, it's another to not even try.....and on 350 a week. ETH needs to grow a pair and bench him.

BestRed

I’d add McT to Rashford and martial. The pretend hardman lost every aerial duel and pulled out of so many tackles. An embarrassment
Yeah 100%, easy touches all over the pitch. Any 50/50s, any headers, feckin anything we're second best all the time.

There's so much basic shit missing from this team these days it's shocking. When do they ever deliver any decent crosses, score from corners, score free kicks, attack space, take people on in the box, basically communicate, berate or organise eachother.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I thought we played alright away at a better managed team. Hopefully we will get to their level some day.

Statue of Limitations

Just back from the pub, was the worst 1-0 defeat I have seen in a long time, felt like men v boys.
What happened to our form? Dreading Anfield.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
This Man Utd team loses away to this Newcastle team nine times out of ten. Not much to take from this game.

Scriblerus

That was embarrassing. Effort, energy teamwork all unacceptable. Beaten from front to back. Awful. Maguire our best player, Shaw not far behind. They had a centre back that threatened more than our forward line. Brief mention in passing : Joelinton is a ****.

ti vu

Last time we lost 0-2. Only lost 0-1 this time around. Progress :wenger:

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I'm not sure how we get top 4 with this team. There are clearly 4 clubs better than we are right now.

- Did Martial hold up the ball successfully one time?
- Did Rashford make a positive play one time?
- Did McT make more than 10 passes in the match?

ETH, bench Rashford now or you will lose all credibility. Also, maybe try Mainoo and Amrabat together and we might have a midfield that can beat the press.

oz insomniac

When you bring in a a manager who almost exclusively worked within a lower tier competition, the same tactics don’t work in the most physical and aggressive league in the world. The failure to adopt fitness levels and aggressive commitment is basically a fail.

Seviila remain competitive in Spain through tactics and physical commitment, Man Utd have too many players who lack the basic requirements of the EPL , desire and physique. Tic tac Eredevise style just won’t last the distance in the EPL, if ETH doesn’t adapt to the obvious then he is not the man for the job.

Rashford is a shadow of himself and he was dependent almost exclusively on pace and has never been that physical, as for McTom, how on earth is he selected constantly , looks like Tarzan plays like Jane sums him up.

Rarcliffe needs to address these issues himself, given the poisonous trolls have no idea or commitment to the club. May you live in interesting times is a Chinese curse that sums up Man Utd over the next few months.

Last edited:

gerdm07

Reality is though ETH has no one to blame but himself as HE picks the team and HE is the one that’s picked Martial for the past two games, if ETH doesn’t know enough about Martial after a season and a half then that’s on him as Martial will continue being the same Martial we’ve seen and known for the past 4-5 years.

You can’t pay £60+ million on Hojlund then decide not to play him and pick Martial knowing what we all do about Martial then be annoyed it’s turned out exactly like we all know it’s going to turn out, I’d honestly rather we played McNeil or Hugill or even Rooney’s kid over Martial.
Hojlund is not 100 percent and probably should not have started on Wednesday. However, I would play some 17 year old rather than Martial.

The Purley King

Outfought, outplayed, utter disgrace.
That was fecking feeble.
Several players should never wear the shirt again. Rashford #1 on that list

Coops73

I’m agog, utter shite bar Maguire and Shaw.

Rashford has to feck off with his buddy Sancho, surely that’s why he’s playing like a child.

1-0 was flattering for us to be honest and I’m struggling to see where 7 Hag has to go right now.

bstb3

Sell Rashford as soon as is humanly possible. Along with Martial as a buy one get one free
Never has the acronym BOGOF been more appropriate, since that would likely be the response from any of the clubs we approach with that deal.

gerdm07

Did we even consider going for Gordon last winter? I thought we should have at the time, but our brilliant front office obviously took a pass. For 40m we could have had a winger better than Rashford, Antony and Garnacho.

BabySinclair

This squad and especially Ten Hag have killed my feeling to have bad mood for days after such matches like today.....i have expected a defeat + a terrible performance and this shouldn't be the case as a supporter.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I'm not sure how we get top 4 with this team. There are clearly 4 clubs better than we are right now.

- Did Martial hold up the ball successfully one time?
- Did Rashford make a positive play one time?
- Did McT make more than 10 passes in the match?

ETH, bench Rashford now or you will lose all credibility. Also, maybe try Mainoo and Amrabat together and we might have a midfield that can beat the press.

Top 4? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It was obvious we arent going to be in the top 4 like a month ago. We have now lost six out of our 14 league games so far!!!

That's a very solid mid- to lower-table trajectory.

I am happy with 16 more points to win the Non-Relegation Cup.

BabySinclair

Did we even consider going for Gordon last winter? I thought we should have at the time, but our brilliant front office obviously took a pass. For 40m we could have had a winger better than Rashford, Antony and Garnacho.
You are totally wrong.....if we would have signed Gordon then he would play like all other of ours wingers......even Haaland, Mbappe, Kane or Bellingham would struggle with this team-mates and the coaching staff.

captain666

Feeble ,pathetic performance with a few exceptions,how on earth ETH justifies starting Rashford and Martial is beyond me.

bstb3

Feeble ,pathetic performance with a few exceptions,how on earth ETH justifies starting Rashford and Martial is beyond me.
I think at this point it has to be the end of the 'support them until they get going again' stage. That only works when the other party is also willing to put in the effort, and clearly that's not the case. It's not entirely new for either of them, it's happened before. We just need now to move on, hopefully ETH must surely see that now and have the fortitude to do it. Can imagine the club not being best pleased if the poster boy isn't playing, but it's for everyone's good right now. Time out, get the head straight and work out what the priorities are - if they aren't performing for the team then goodbye.

bosskeano

AWB, Rashford and Martial should be absolutely embarassed by their performances.....just fecking lazy from the two attackers and how the actual feck can you switch off like that at the back post??? it happens way too often for him.

he's solid when facing an opponent defensively but fecking shit when he has to watch the ball and man while understanding spacial awareness

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
We were what Liverpool were when they were stuck in mid table mediocrity. Perhaps another decade before we see improvements unless Glazers leave

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
After the match I had a lovely Italian chicken sandwich at one of my favourite eateries.

Ibrahimorich

Thought some players were good and fought hard. They were undermined by some absolute slackers. Rashford has to be dropped, that was a pathetic performance tonight. He was lucky to still be on the pitch after 20 minutes he was so bad.

tjb

AWB, Rashford and Martial should be absolutely embarassed by their performances.....just fecking lazy from the two attackers and how the actual feck can you switch off like that at the back post??? it happens way too often for him.

he's solid when facing an opponent defensively but fecking shit when he has to watch the ball and man while understanding spacial awareness
I know they didn't perform well. However, I've always felt a bit for players in these instances. Newcastle had completely control and our players despite busting a lung at times, were not getting near them. Consistently busting a lung to commit to a tactical plan you don't beleive in and still getting blamed when it was clear it wasn't working. I actually think when the media blames players for lack of commitment, it inadvertently absolves the manager

SirMattlives

The problem was I was optimistic after the performance at galatasary that we might really be turning up. If the players are exhausted I might understand but today there were too many who liked they really were not interested. Can that really be the case? Seems hard to believe but that performance from several of them was unacceptable.

lex talionis

The back line and keeper held things together fairly well, though both our fullbacks fell apart on the goal. The problem was our attacking five, all of whom were shockingly poor. But topping the charts of shitness was Rashford, who looked like a footballer who couldn’t give two fukks about the outcome of the match.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
How have we gone from being comfortably top 4 to being totally out of the conversation? Should we not have improved and built on the positives of last season? This is just a clusterfeck of a season.

As always with us, one step forward two giant leaps back. Hard to know what fixes this.

JeffFromHK

How have we gone from being comfortably top 4 to being totally out of the conversation? Should we not have improved and built on the positives of last season? This is just a clusterfeck of a season.

As always with us, one step forward two giant leaps back. Hard to know what fixes this.
The same question was asked when ole finished 2nd, we bought Sancho, Ronaldo and Varane, and things fell apart

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Incredibly disappointed that we didn't win even after us being the most in form team in the league before this game. We were also scoring a ton of goals before this. Difficult to imagine how this could happen. Maybe we were just unlucky? With so many injuries its difficult to put in a performance and I will give the manager a pass here. But honestly I thought we had turned a corner. Hopefully its just a blip and we get back to our best form like before.

Onwards and upwards!

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Thankfully I forgot the game was on yesterday and went to bed. Yay! :D

Ekeke

They had a lot more of the ball and more than twice as many shots. If thats the gap between the two teams we're in big trouble for trying to get into the champions league

gregwar

It's all shite isn't it lads?

Christmas soon. At least we can get wined up with our family/friends and forget football exists.

Man of the Match

Harry Maguire image Harry Maguire 67% of 236 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 258 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw