PL L FA Premier League

Newcastle United 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 02 December 2023

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
In the midst of that massive turd of a performance, I do have to give Harry Maguire some credit. I had absolutely written him off and wanted him to be sold, but he has been one of our best players this season and even today was good - showed some passion too.

gregwar

In the midst of that massive turd of a performance, I do have to give Harry Maguire some credit. I had absolutely written him off and wanted him to be sold, but he has been one of our best players this season and even today was good - showed some passion too.
Good on him - and I wanted shut of him in the summer. He's worked and earned his place back in, he's probably been our best player over the last few months.

Granted that's not saying much with the spineless bastards representing us at the moment, but I'm delighted for Maguire. Good lad.

VictoriaRed

Maguire is playing out of his skull; happy for him, but still needs to be moved on. We are were second to 95% of all the balls, especially second balls, and didn't want to do the work, were generally shite. Mainoo is the only bright spot. It's hard to watch us play right now. Bring more of the young lads through, now.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Incredibly disappointed that we didn't win even after us being the most in form team in the league before this game. We were also scoring a ton of goals before this. Difficult to imagine how this could happen. Maybe we were just unlucky? With so many injuries its difficult to put in a performance and I will give the manager a pass here. But honestly I thought we had turned a corner. Hopefully its just a blip and we get back to our best form like before.

Onwards and upwards!
:lol: :lol: :lol: ;);)

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I know they didn't perform well. However, I've always felt a bit for players in these instances. Newcastle had completely control and our players despite busting a lung at times, were not getting near them. Consistently busting a lung to commit to a tactical plan you don't beleive in and still getting blamed when it was clear it wasn't working. I actually think when the media blames players for lack of commitment, it inadvertently absolves the manager
If you watched the game and believed this, you need to get your eyes checked.

captain666

I think at this point it has to be the end of the 'support them until they get going again' stage. That only works when the other party is also willing to put in the effort, and clearly that's not the case. It's not entirely new for either of them, it's happened before. We just need now to move on, hopefully ETH must surely see that now and have the fortitude to do it. Can imagine the club not being best pleased if the poster boy isn't playing, but it's for everyone's good right now. Time out, get the head straight and work out what the priorities are - if they aren't performing for the team then goodbye.
I agree with you,I have to get up at 4am to watch this dross and have done for many years because United are my team but I'm now out of patience with ETH's stubbornness with keep picking underperformers.

Shanghai Red

We have injuries so we play bad. Once Martinez, Shaw, Malacia will be back, we will play excellent football. Injuries affect the way you play. Ignore Newcastle, they are irrelevant. If there were no injuries, we would have been fighting for the title and would have progresses easily to the next round of UCL.
The teeny weeny flaw in all of that is that. Newcastle have an even worse injury list at the moment and the players they have injured are better than the players we have injured. Our problems are up front, where we don’t have injuries.

Harry Freak

Good on him - and I wanted shut of him in the summer. He's worked and earned his place back in, he's probably been our best player over the last few months.

Granted that's not saying much with the spineless bastards representing us at the moment, but I'm delighted for Maguire. Good lad.
it was the type of game that suits Maguire the most. Deep defensive block, lot of players around him and in a box. He is good at blocking shots and using his big body to cover and bully attackers. Unfortunately it is a style how mediocre or worse teams use to play. Harry is not material for top team with high defensive line

MrEleson

The teeny weeny flaw in all of that is that. Newcastle have an even worse injury list at the moment and the players they have injured are better than the players we have injured. Our problems are up front, where we don’t have injuries.
Surprised people aren’t seeing the satire in his posts

suhaylah

Everyone needs to be kicked out from this club, from the owner to the players. Until then, we keep crying

justsomebloke

Incredibly disappointed that we didn't win even after us being the most in form team in the league before this game. We were also scoring a ton of goals before this. Difficult to imagine how this could happen. Maybe we were just unlucky? With so many injuries its difficult to put in a performance and I will give the manager a pass here. But honestly I thought we had turned a corner. Hopefully its just a blip and we get back to our best form like before.

Onwards and upwards!
Sorry, but what season have you been watching? Can't have been this one, if we've been scoring a ton of goals. Or if yesterday's result was remotely surprising to you.

AndySmith1990

Sorry, but what season have you been watching? Can't have been this one, if we've been scoring a ton of goals. Or if yesterday's result was remotely surprising to you.
He's taking the piss out of the happy clappers who keep making excuses and pretending it'll all be fine

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
This.....it's one thing to be having a bad season but working your bollocks off, it's another to not even try.....and on 350 a week. ETH needs to grow a pair and bench him.
Absolutely right.
The one thing I can simply not forgive any professional sportsman is lack of effort.
After all. It can not be too much to expect can it.
Radford and Martial are a total disgrace.
If I were Ten Hag, I would read the riot act to them and anyone else would can't be bothered.
Put 100% in or you are out in January along with Sancho.

freddie the red

There's been a cocky, unjustified, self important malaise running through this team for the last decade, most recently personified by Pogba and Lingard and now by Rashford, Martial and Sancho.
A million quid or so a week for that trio for the square root of zip.....heaven help us.

UpWithRivers

We have a world class defense bar Onana. How anyone can have a go at Wan B or any other defender is beyond me. Its like fighting 10 men on your own at some point you are going to get knocked out. It was Wan B vs Livramento and Gordon / Dalot vs Trippier and Almiron and Maguire + Shaw vs their whole midfield and CB's. Did the presenter say all the Newcastle players touched the ball in our box?
It was wave after wave after wave with no protection and they dealt with everything bar the goal but sht happens when you are fighting everyone. Add to the fact they have no commanding keeper behind them and sht themselves every time he comes for the ball.

Gordon Godot

We have a world class defense bar Onana. How anyone can have a go at Wan B or any other defender is beyond me. Its like fighting 10 men on your own at some point you are going to get knocked out. It was Wan B vs Livramento and Gordon / Dalot vs Trippier and Almiron and Maguire + Shaw vs their whole midfield and CB's. Did the presenter say all the Newcastle players touched the ball in our box?
It was wave after wave after wave with no protection and they dealt with everything bar the goal but sht happens when you are fighting everyone. Add to the fact they have no commanding keeper behind them and sht themselves every time he comes for the ball.
Is this irony or you serious? AWB is AWOL all the time, so is Dalot. Shaw is a good left back but not a centre back. Maguire is not an elite CB. Worst post I have read.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Nothing left to do now but sit back and wait for the inevitable 3 losses in the next 3 and that will be it for another manager.

New guy will come in until the end of the season, there'll be zero improvement, he'll be gone, new guy in the summer, few panic buys, terrible start to the season, he'll be gone by Xmas, rinse and repeat.

AndySmith1990

Nothing left to do now but sit back and wait for the inevitable 3 losses in the next 3 and that will be it for another manager.

New guy will come in until the end of the season, there'll be zero improvement, he'll be gone, new guy in the summer, few panic buys, terrible start to the season, he'll be gone by Xmas, rinse and repeat.
"new manager needs at least two seasons and a few transfer windows before we can judge him"

RopersReturn

Hey it’s early December not April..

UpWithRivers

Is this irony or you serious? AWB is AWOL all the time, so is Dalot. Shaw is a good left back but not a centre back. Maguire is not an elite CB. Worst post I have read.
Hey it’s early December not April..
You try defend against a whole team see how you do. They look AWOL but thats what it looks like when you are covering 2 men. I don't care if you had Baresi and Maldini in there they will be overrun. Should have been 5/6 nil at least. Same with Everton, Galatasaray and everyone else. The defense is holding back a fking tidal wave as much as they can.

SteveCoppellFan

It was a horrid performance on so many levels.

But special mention to Rashford, Martial, McTom and AWB for an absolute zero **** given type of performance.

AWB attitude in this game really annoyed me, talk about just going through the motions with literally zero effort.

Those four gave us a snapshot of what our problems are.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Shaw and Maguire - I guess the one positive is that this was the most solid centreback pairing performance we've had this season by a country mile. They almost saved us a defeat in a game where we got absolutely battered.

Bruno - I actually thought he was pretty good. Just stuck in no man's land all game

Mainoo - I thought he was excellent with the ball as well, but playing a teenager on their own in midfield away to an aggressive Newcastle side is an astonishingly stupid thing to do.

Dalot - where does he go? The ball comes to his area of the pitch and he's nowhere to be seen. Where is he?

Mctominay - where does he go? I genuinely don't even know what his area of the pitch is to know if he's not there or not.

Martial and Rashford - the fact these two came out for the second half is as bad an indictment for the manager as it is for them. Exactly how much do you have to let your team down before ETH will do anything about it? Someone explain to me what Sancho was doing in training that can possibly be worse than what these two were up to last night?

ETH - mate I'm sorry but what are you doing?

Mullet_Man

It's really strange as no one would have expected a fired up St. James Park, a Newcastle team that will fight for every ball and lots of tracking back to chase down United players.

Failing to match the opposition in terms of desire has got to be rule 0, a non negotiable but unfortunately too many united players just flap there arms when they lose the ball and expect others to do all the work.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I'm interested in who you think would be buying Rashford & paying him 300,000 a week.
Exactly. The club wanted over £40 million for McTominay back in the summer so I’m sure they’d want well over £100 million for Rashford.

No club in their right mind is going to pay anywhere close to that.

When you factor in his wages, we’d probably have to let him go on a free to interest any club right now.

Rashford isn’t going anywhere. We will just have to hope that he cuts out the moping about bullshit and at least shows a bit of passion.

Red00012

Bruno
Hojlund
Martinez
Shaw
Mainoo
Garnacho

the rest of the 1st team squad I would put up for sale to be honest.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
good point. AWB played 1 vs 2 all game. Rashford didnt bother (bar 1 incidnet) to track back. Garnacho did his best but Trippier was MOTM imho. And then there is ETH with his stuborness to play 2 #8. Whoever is on CDM duty is left alone against oppostion midfield

tjb

If you watched the game and believed this, you need to get your eyes checked.
I've seen Bruno and Hojlund press countless times to no avail. Its easy coming out as fans and saying the players are lazy. But I can't believe for a second that United's players simply have a lower motor than other squads in Europe, as this has been a constant all season long. For me, I see a group of players chasing shadows having to carry the instructions of a manager who doesn't seem to know how to deliver them and is experimenting with an attacking plan and defensive structure he doesn't actually know how to carry out.

His system is failing and he knows it. Yet he's going out there telling our players to get the ball back to Onana too boot it forward. It's quite clear he doesn't know how to play direct football. We've been trying to completely bypass the midfield since the Sheffield United game, we've won games, but its been terrible.

Man of the Match

Harry Maguire image Harry Maguire 67% of 236 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 258 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw