PL L FA Premier League

Newcastle United 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 02 December 2023

Heinzesight

How Schar didn’t get two yellows let alone one, and also no VAR check on the snide one on Fernandes is a pisstake. Yeah, we deserved nothing but it was Saudi reffing at its finest today.

RomfordRed75

Got what we deserved, shockingly poor.
Totally outfought in every single area of the pitch, which is the worst thing for me.
But I guess you will get outfought with wasters like Rashford, Martial, McTominay and Dalot jogging about all game.

Okey

I just seriously struggle to see how this suddenly gets better. We're so predictably awful.
It won't. And eventually you have to put your hands up and acknowledge that there's no point carrying on. I'd love to hear what the excuse for any optimism is

mustaine

Don’t think they would have score even if the game was twice as long.

Pathetic display.

16 goals in 14 games. United are just bad and dreadfully boring.

Wing Attack Plan R

It was embarrassing. feck the scoreline, we were cowards out there. Nothing for the fans to get excited about, no fight, no creativity, just a bunch of meek sheep probably wondering about their instagram and bank accounts, unwilling to risk anything for the shirt. I don't watch for trophies, I just want to be entertained. If we lose while playing "the United way", then so be it. But when we lose playing like motherfecking Tranmere Rovers, it makes me seethe.

What did ten Hag say in the dressing room at half time? How did he allow that shower of shit to start the second half? How? This will cost him his job, maybe not canned today, but allowing obviously unacceptable performances to go unpunished - and in fact rewarded - is just authoring his own demise. What in feck do they do in training? Whatever it is, it's not translating into the matches.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Here's the thing I don't get. Last season we had a horrendous start to the season. We played Liverpool, we outfought them, showed character, showed balls, were not bullied from any player 1 to 11. We attacked cohesively and defending like dogs. I have not see that this season, not for a flash in a game at all. Surely it can't be down to ETH and injuries.

Shady

Incredible he didn't make any subs at half time or even before that. His game management is as shocking as his transfers.

Fitchett

I have been a staunch supporter of EtH, but he has to go now. It was noticeable how much we improved late on when Rashford and Martial were belatedly subbed. It's on EtH that we had three useless players in those two and McTominay. Every supporter and his dog can see that, so why not the manager? There's only one outcome in an 11 v 8 contest. Thanks mainly to Maguire and Shaw, we kept the score down to 1-0.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
I've seen a lot of depressing games but this one is up there with the worst of 'em.

Motorman

Horrendous. We were nowhere near. It genuinely was like a league 1 team against a PL team in the league cup.

So bad.

Sell Rashford

always_hoping

His fault - the amount of chances we give away, the defenders can only focus for so long. We had no plan, no protection of the defence, and anyone could see the goal coming from a mile away.
Three saves i think Onana made tonight and they were routine saves at that so I think the manner of the way that goal was conceded is frustrating.

As usual it was a United player switching off. None of the current available midfielders seem good enough to protect the defence best hope is for Casemiro to come back and in good form.

Gordon S

Was nice to see Amrabat winning a few duels at the end.
Bruno was good imo. Showing some class and work rate.

But the way we sit back and just watch them play at times. Probably instructed since it looks the same every game.
Just as bad as anything i`ve seen from us. Shocking stuff and i am shocked EtH is still our manager.

eire-red

There are ways to lose games. This was not one of them.

Lost every 50:50. Outfought. Outrun. Out thought. Outplayed.

cj_sparky

Took Antony out after a good performance in the week, started Rashford who has offered nothing all season.

Started Mainoo, an 18 year old and asked him to be a one man midfield. All whilst McTominay ghosted through yet another game offering feck all.

Injuries are no excuse for that disgraceful performance. ten Hag is well and truly in the dead man walking phase.

Amarsdd

Even if it was just 1-0, it felt like it was one of our most embarrassing ones. Really only Maguire, and maybe Shaw comes out of it with any bit of credit.

Pjisared

Two sides to this story.

Players: I’m not sure - particularly first half- if we won a single 50/50 or flicked on/knock down ball? Our flanks are weak as anything I’ve seen at United, Rashford was appalling, Garnacho is young and was caught out a lot, Dalot is poor, AWB was good but will be remembered for getting paced by Gordon. We have a slow team who make poor decision and nothing in midfield so we try and pass out form the back and it’s basically the back 5 + Mainoo and then a chasm, then the rest of the team. It’s awful.

ETH: what was he expecting to happen in this game with that setup? Playing a child as a DM and then the most wayward CM/AM pair he could have fielded.
I couldnt agree more with this post. Very few of this crew deserves to wear the shirt. Work rate from the majority of this crew was just not good enough. All in all a shambles.

RuudTom83

Lets face it, that was a tough away fixture.

United looked very much like a team who were playing in Turkey on Wednesday night and had trouble travelling to the match today...it was a very leggy/tired performance.

Also it seems that best front 3 for difficult away games is impossible with the current squad. Whoever you pick has big flaws in their game and don't really complement each other...something that just gets exaggerated in tough away games.

siw2007

Not gonna lie… stopped watching at 60min. Nothing worth watching there and we were lucky to only lose by the 1. Way off the standard needed to get any sort of success against any good team.

Litch

.....Anyone that has to play in that 3 with Scott and Bruno playing up front, is hung out to dry!!! Doesnt matter what whether its Fred, Cas or Kobbie.

DickDastardly

Gutless performance by gutless bunch of players.

Joe Linton has more fire in his play then all the 22 players we have in out squad.

You can't win anything with this bunch of cowards.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Someone said it earlier, but yeah, I'm at the stage where if these players, owners and manager don't care, then why should I?

Maniron

Shaw is the only one in the whole team who can actually ball.
I think Maguire had a good game and it just goes to show how fickle we are. There was a time {not long ago) when the consensus was that he was a clown, a liability, and at best an embarrassment. The fact is that we have a more than a decent team, but atm our manager is not getting the best out of them, too many are well below their best. Southgate really rates Maguire and perhaps there is good reason for it, we should consider why. For my money he should be given the captaincy back and encouraged to find the form that made us buy him in the first place.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Winning the League Cup was the worst thing for this group of no marks.

Celebrations like they'd won the UCL, ETH dancing with Martinez and Antony, both can't believe their luck daddy ten Hag has gifted them £200kpw deals.

The entire club acting like we were back only for the performances to nose dive while they all circle jerked themselves as "winners".

It's been like this since March 23. It's been 9 months of absolute shite. In that time we've been pumped by every team in the top half of the table and we've been smashed on xG, goals conceded, shots faced, possession.

It's time for this fraud to bugger off. Holland coaches are atrocious, far too arrogant, believe they're all the second coming of Cruyff, have weird obsessions in the game that make zero sense (zones), they can't motivate players, they have no man management skills, only like/fancy Dutch players through some weird jingoism.

He's weak and he has to go.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
How Schar didn’t get two yellows let alone one, and also no VAR check on the snide one on Fernandes is a pisstake. Yeah, we deserved nothing but it was Saudi reffing at its finest today.
There was a VAR check.

Lee565

the recent form in the league was massively flattering to us and once again the minute we faced a half decent side we get pummeled into defeat

Terrible, we are pushovers and very much a mid-table team. I didn’t think we would get anything tonight. There is no enthusiasm, no determination. Some awful individual performances, with special mention once again to Marcus Rashford, who has been nothing short of a disgrace this season. It’s disheartening watching this team.

Quinze

This is a collective wreckage, but for me most of the blame lies with the front 3 again.

It's like we were playing with 8 men because they weren't up for it offensively and defensively. A lot has been said about the lack of midfield, but what's the point if your forwards can't hold the ball to play their teammates in and allow play to breathe? It's no coincidence that their goal came from a pass to Garnacho that was intercepted because he wasn't alert and let the defender get in front of him.

Honestly, Trippier and Livramento were better forwards than Garnacho and Rashford tonight.

Jules_T

Post match pundits on the premier league international feed (NZ sky sport) has Paul Scholes ripping rashford a new one.
Tearing him apart from they point of view of his poor effort and low standard of play.

Then in analysis showed why both full backs were to blame for the Newcastle goal. Dalot caught in midfield. AWB falling asleep.
He had a rant for 5 minutes about Fernandes too.
You can see how disappointed he is. Hinting at poor tactical and setup decisions by EtH.
I've never seen such a rant from him about a performance. Anger in his eyes.
He likes Mainoo. The only kind words.

RedStarUnited

Here's the thing I don't get. Last season we had a horrendous start to the season. We played Liverpool, we outfought them, showed character, showed balls, were not bullied from any player 1 to 11. We attacked cohesively and defending like dogs. I have not see that this season, not for a flash in a game at all. Surely it can't be down to ETH and injuries.
That was at home, when Liverpool were also awful by the way. We have had away games like today throughout Ten Hags tenure.

Cloud7

The saddest part about this is that I can honestly say I did not expect anything different. In one way or another we fold anytime we play anyone decent these days.

Man of the Match

Harry Maguire image Harry Maguire 67% of 236 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 258 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw