FA W FA Cup 4th Round

Newport County 2:4 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 28 January 2024

oz insomniac

Not sure how we expect Hojlund to do much, when the wingers and even attacking midfielders look to shoot first before thinking about crossing the ball actually pawing to the main striker.

Until the system is used to attack into the box , or hit thr goal line and pull the back into opportunities for those in the box. Playing an extremely left footed player.on the right wing and expecting anything different seems counter to what. Is needed

Partridge

I watched the game and predicted a collapse after going two up. Some folk on twitter were praising Anthony, and here's me thinking 'apart from the assist and goal, against another shit team, what has Anthony ever done for us? Hes a feckin knitted scarf that twat.

r0663664

Worships Man City
This team never learn anything, we could be finish this game in the first half with 4 goals and yet we conceded. Selfish wingers who were trying to score a hat trick instead of passing to our striker. Just count how many shots did Garnacho and Antony took versus Hoijund, it tells you exactly why our attack sucks. Then we having a freaking fraud managers who doesn't seems to be able get this team to play with cohesiveness. If I am Erik, I will make this team stay in Old Trafford and watch the highlights in silent. All the players can only leave after 10 mins after they finish watching. Hopefully, it drills into their minds that they are playing like shit, and it is not up to our standard.

Stig

What a great match. Away win in Europe in cup game. Great stuff.

Marcus

Our finishing let us down. Could have been a very large scoreline. Good tactics to cut the ball back. We were under pressure because of missed chances.

Sgreddevil

We need to learn how to kill the game early. We often take the step off at critical moments.
If we had gotten the 3rd goal yesterday before they scored, I believe they would have given up and not giving them a chance to comeback which they did at some point.
ETH needs to instill the mindset in his wingers to assist the main striker whenever he is in better position.
Garnocho could have sealed the game if he just squared the ball to Holjund for a tap in but he chose to go for a shot. He probably thought we were already 2 up and he can have a go as well to try to get on goal sheet. That should not be the way as the team needs to come first. He can do that after 3 goals up and no one will have issue with it. Poor coaching and judgment. I am 99% sure City players will square the 3rd ball for a tap in. Is already auto-wired in their play.

Gordon Godot

I watched the game and predicted a collapse after going two up. Some folk on twitter were praising Anthony, and here's me thinking 'apart from the assist and goal, against another shit team, what has Anthony ever done for us? Hes a feckin knitted scarf that twat.
Antony was terrible. This level of opposition and he constantly lost the ball or killed moves. A simple square for an assist and a tap in to an empty net cannot hide that even a league two team he struggles to beat players and look dangerous. I really dont know how low his level really is

WPMUFC

It boggles the mind that either ETH is happy with hojlund getting isolated by ball hogs or the ball hogs fear no retribution from the manager. Why we are allowing our wingers and attackers to just not look for our striker. It's beyond weird at this point.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Based on your username, I think it's safe to say you're not the greatest judge of the game ;)
Massive cop out when you can’t address simple points. I’m a good judge of the game and I’ll call it as it is. Look at my posts and I’m very fair to all players but that was by no means a great performance.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’d agree but I guess at least he finally did get a goal and assist because usually it’s the same garbage but without that!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He would have won the league with this team.
Possibly. But I very much doubt he would have kept this team or many of the current players.
But this is all conjecture.
He isn't the manager and these are the players.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It boggles the mind that either ETH is happy with hojlund getting isolated by ball hogs or the ball hogs fear no retribution from the manager. Why we are allowing our wingers and attackers to just not look for our striker. It's beyond weird at this point.
I don't think any on Højlund's recent goals have been assisted, it says it all really.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I don't about most of you but when our wingers, Antony and Garnacho, get the ball on the wing in a favorable positions, I have little confidence they will do anything good. This is especially damning because we were playing a lower level team. Surely ETH has to see this. Surely he would consider Amad over Antony. I'm just so confused with our manager.
Garnacho looks dangerous when he attacks at speed. So I don't quite agree with you on that.
But I do regarding Antony.
It is always the same thing. Never goes down the line and crosses for Hojland to attack.
He always cuts inside onto his favoured left foot. Or pases back.

Gordon Godot

Garnacho looks dangerous when he attacks at speed. So I don't quite agree with you on that.
But I do regarding Antony.
It is always the same thing. Never goes down the line and crosses for Hojland to attack.
He always cuts inside onto his favoured left foot. Or pases back.
Antony is garbage, he couldnt threaten against a league 2 team. Attacks constantly break down, cant hit byline, cant cross, cant beat a player. One move and the whole world know it. Awful. Should never start another match and ETH should go for signing him.

The Substitute

On Antony:
Do not measure game decency by goal contributions! This is the main reason we play terrible as a team. Its the main reason we are 13th in the league on chances created!

Yesterday Garnacho and Antony had 7 shots each, while Højlund had 1!!
This egocentric crap never stops cause these players get hailed when getting a goal, when their performance is absolutely terrible.

The people who said Antony had a decent game must have no clue what decent even mean anymore. WHY is our #9 the least selfish attacker of our attacking line!?
Why do we go with these "Shoot-at-any-occasion" players instead of chance-creating players like Amad or even Pellistri on the bench.

This is infuriating!

Craig Ward

From cruise control to utter car crash in the space of 45 mins of football. That's what we are now.

The fact from 2-0 and cruising to 2-2 against Newport comes as no surprise says it all.

I couldn't really hammer any one player too much - we are just collectively a very weak side mentally. We have no in game management, very little leaders and constantly lose them important 1v1 battles on the pitch.

Soon as Newport scored, Bruno just seemed to adapt a "i'm gunna run anywhere i like" attitude and left the midfield shape a bit isolated. I genuinely think he tries to hard cos he knows the team is flawed. What's more infuriating is that if he stuck to his position - the team would be better off. So he needs reigning in big time.

Our wing play was poor but overall more positives than now. A usual performance and some good minutes for returning players, especially Martinez. Boy we have missed him

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I thought we played much better here then we did against Wigan (though still not great by any stretch), yet this was a far bigger scare... Go figure.

Ady87

I don’t know much about tactics and stuff but given Garnacho has had some success on the right, why doesn’t Antony just play on the left and whip balls in on his strong foot?

Red Regista

We were dreadful.
Started well and played positively for about 15 minutes then it all went to shit.

- No ability to control the game against a L2 side!
- Couldn't recognize a system and/ or style of play
- Varane and Garnacho in particular were dreadful. Should have been subbed at HT.
- Half of our players looked like they got physically intimidated by the Newport players, showing signs of weakness and a lack of commitment in 1 on 1s
- Why Antony again ffs?! We are waaaaay beyond the point of recognition that he's not good enough for pro football in England. He wouldn't make a Championship side tbh. Play Amad or Pellistri
- Bruno is like Paul Scholes from Wish, you've ordered a playmaker, but you get a guy who's giving the ball away more than he is creating chances with all his Hollywood passing.

IRN-BRUno

Credit to Newport for the way they got back into the game, could easily have collapsed completely after going 2-0 down so quickly.

Conceding twice isn't so much of a concern in that these things do happen in cup games, the worrying part was that they created so many opportunities and for a while in the 2nd half actually looked the better side.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Maybe like our previous Dutch manager, ETH has a comfortable journey in this competition because thats the only way I can see us getting to the final.

Maticmaker

It was another 'egg on face' day once again.
Its getting ridiculous trying to understand why our wingers are continuously being played on the wrong side, forget the 'inverted winger' crap, neither look to play Rasmus in, whether inverted or not.
For 30 minutes it looked like a PL side playing a L2 side, then a lucky deflection and the wheels came off.
The fact that Antony scored with his 'duff' right foot says it all!

The only comforts were that Martinez and Shaw are back and Mainoo continues to look like he will become a 'real player' and despite being ignored by his fellow attackers, Rasmus continues to try to 'flog a dead horse' in the CF role.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
It's how you pronounce it in Portuguese. If you've ever seen Portuguese written down you'd think it was a very similar language to Spanish, but then if you hear someone speak Portuguese you'll know it's nothing like it.
It's so strange how the "des" becomes "dj". Does it happen every time or is it just when it's at the end of a word?

tomaldinho1

Maybe like our previous Dutch manager, ETH has a comfortable journey in this competition because thats the only way I can see us getting to the final.
West Ham, Everton (then not now), Palace isn't that straight forward to be honest. LVG was surprisingly good against big teams as well (I think he held/might even still hold a PL record for points versus the top 6 randomly), our issue was scoring versus the 'weaker' teams.

Winrar

First off credit to Newport for giving us a serious game, I know it's cliche but anything can happen in these one on one cup games.

That said, what concerns me is that the same problems that plagued us throughout the season are resurfacing time and time again... against league 2 midtable opposition no less... we got through by player quality alone and that's not good enough.

Glorio

I see folks bemoaning us taking more chances to kill the game but seriously how big of a cushion do we need against Newport??

Why is our defence so porous that even if we were 3 nil up, I'd still not feel comfortable?

Swearing Budgie

He's one of them half & half scarves tbf tbs

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 165 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newport County win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Newport County 0:3 Man Utd